Core Dysfunction and what it does

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Core Dysfunction and what it does

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Dennis Mahar wrote:and yet, consciousness coalesces in an individual as a viewpoint.
all viewpoints are blameless,
they are just an individual expressing how the world occurs for them.
acts of consciousness.
No Dennis, like food, some kinds shouldn't be digested, served or stored at all. Especially when passed expiration date.

To be discriminating is part of the health of mind and body. We should learn each other how to discriminate, not just accepting.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I don't disagree with that, nevertheless, thanks for pointing it out.

Drawing distinctions is vital as you say for balance.

I'm just saying how can a personhood be blamed for a viewpoint blasted into them by a worldhood worlding about them where they dwell.

It's a tough gig for a personhood to protect itself from basic machinery.
Steamroller.

Roddy's recent full and frank disclosure that he was steamrolled as a youth into the performance of deeds that consequently wounded his mind out of which he does charitable deeds for redress ennobles him.
He is situate in the 4 noble truths.

1) diagnose a disease,
2) identify its cause,
3) determine whether it is curable
4) outline a course of treatment to cure it

That's the thing about great philosophers, they open up being to timeless truths, to meta consciousness.
As Weininger submitted:
deal in Universals.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:By the way, logical fallacies are only that when the arguments themselves are not sufficiently addressed. It might be rude or needless psychoanalyzing but unless it replaces the argument in the context of an actual agreed upon topical discussion, they cannot be called fallacies.
That's not even close to being correct, Diebert, by the way. Informal logical fallacies occur in every day arguments at the pub.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

What, you mean as in:

Bazza: It's your round.
Johnno: Get fucked, you cunt, I bought the last three! [produces the receipts]
Bazza: Ah, fuck you, you tight arse!

In Johnno's case, there's no adhom. Bazza is a cunt who should get fucked!

Not so in Bazza's case, though!
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

Dan Rowden wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:By the way, logical fallacies are only that when the arguments themselves are not sufficiently addressed. It might be rude or needless psychoanalyzing but unless it replaces the argument in the context of an actual agreed upon topical discussion, they cannot be called fallacies.
That's not even close to being correct, Diebert, by the way. Informal logical fallacies occur in every day arguments at the pub.
I had ad hominem arguments in mind here but all I'm saying is that it all depends on what else is there. If there's a case somewhere.

Even informal fallacies still assume a rational attempt of persuading someone of something, some reasoning and concluding. A case is being made! But all I was saying is that there's in this instance never a case being made which could be debated rationally. And yes, that in itself might be called one big fallacy but I prefer to call it non-participation or just putting on a show. Much like at the pub! When one side just has not arrived yet into any meaningful discussion, how can one even point out a fallacy? Don't forget that one party does not want to discuss according to any standard. The appearance of discussion has become then just a cover for seduction, projection, offloading etc. It's more like listening to a drunk emotional guy at the pub I suppose.
Last edited by Diebert van Rhijn on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Leyla Shen wrote:In Johnno's case, there's no adhom. Bazza is a cunt who should get fucked!
Yeah especially adhoms are tricky. In your example there was still a valid argument, rudely presented. Now if Johno would say "Bla di bla, you [plural] are alllll dysfunctional", then he would not have an argument (or a very ambiguous one) and neither would it be ad hominem. It would just be a random slur unless Johno would say something like: "Not gonna buy any round because you and your parents are dysfunctional". The main argument has now become the ad hominem.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

C'mon, mate, buy a round.
I ain't gonna.
What the fuck?
I ain't.
Why ain't you? What you got again'us?
I ain't got nothin' again'yous.
Well then buy a fuckin' round then.
I ain't gonna.
And why fuckin' not?
Beer's dysfunctional.
Beer's dysfunctional?
Yep. Beer's dysfunctional.
What the fuck!?
Beer's dysfunctional an' I ain't gonna buy no round.
It's fuckin' beer you twat. There ain't no such thing as 'dysfunctional' beer.
Beer's dyfunctional an' I ain't buyin' no round.
But you've been drinking the same beer.
I ain't been drinkin no dysfunctional beer.
You got a fuckin' glass o'it right there!
That ain't dysfunctional beer. That there is functional beer.
What the fuck?!? It's the same beer's we's drinking right here beside you!
No it ain't.
T'is, you Cane Toad. Fuckin' same beer!
Well, I don't see it that way.
That's a logical fuckin' fallacy, mate!
It is rather a question of interpretation.
What the-??
...and possibly metaphysic.
Metafunckingphysic?! Listen up, drongo.
I suggest your beer is dysfunctional for the way it is used.
Yur off yur face!
That is precisely what I am not. While you drink, on some level, to obliterate, I drink to recuperate.
Yuve got a kangaroo loose in the top paddock, mate. Here, let's switch glasses. Who's drinking 'dysfunctional' beer now?
You...
I'm drinkin yur fuckin beer which, by definition, ain't dysfunctional!
But you possessed it. You have taken it unto yourself.
What the???!!! Buy a fuckin round, you shank, or I'm gonna bash yur face.

Etc.
Ni ange, ni bête
Alex Jacob

Striking the Master! Uh-oh!

Post by Alex Jacob »

Ernst Becker wrote:"Personality is less responsible for personality change than the group itself. Plunged into an alien group under constant pressure to adjust to its standards, the patient is hard pressed to hasten his espousal of the new norms. His own values do not apply; and his consequent sense of personal deflation combines with his inner tension and anxiety to drive him to the desire to be accepted. Nor can he test these new standards to which he is opposed, or discuss or reflect upon them with someone of differing persuasion; he is alone in the hostile group, which will only give him its support when it observes changes in him and his behavior. Insistence on his personal values only brings condemnation from the group, so the patient's main concern becomes one of avoiding anticipated retaliation. He tries to make himself less vulnerable by divining what the group expects of him. Under these pressures he comes to understand that only those acts are "good" which aim toward the goal of mental health; any activity resisting this aim is "bad'. The new superego is unambiguous."
Diebert wrote:And yes, that in itself might be called one big fallacy but I prefer to call it non-participation or just putting on a show. Much like at the pub! When one side just has not arrived yet into any meaningful discussion, how can one even point out a fallacy? Don't forget that one party does not want to discuss according to any standard. The appearance of discussion has become then just a cover for seduction, projection, offloading etc. It's more like listening to a drunk emotional guy at the pub I suppose.
He deviated for a split second but he's back with you, Dan. I suppose you might have been worried for a second. I was!

It has all much more to do with the issue of resisting coercion, which functions at the base of 'zennish' modalities of 'thought control'. The following ideas can become a reference point:
Ernst Becker in 'Zen: A Rational Critique' wrote:"The Westerner who finds some charm in Zen is often hard put to reconcile the antimony, so foreign to his own traditions, between its poignantly esthetic musings about man and nature and its blatant denial of life. The purpose of this book is not to effect reconciliation, but rather to show that Zen really is a denial of life, a negation of the Western ethic of individuation and autonomy which was so laboriously fashioned by Mediterranean civilization and is still too precariously grasped. It is a trite observation that knowledge accumulates so quickly and voluminously that we are constantly forced to rediscover something long known which has been quietly buried under the silt of more up-to-date thought or more pressing research. Yet this is what seems to have happened with Zen. The credulous new generations have to start again at the beginning and learn things all over; and with an ever new spirit animating their strivings, it is inevitable that they should choose to delight themselves with the wrong things."

"Many in the West revolt both against reason's obviously majestic creations for the good life, as well as its utter failure to solve problems of personal contentment and creativity. But less well known than the negation of mind, and fundamental to any appraisal of it, is the method Zen uses to proselytize. Zen is basically a technique by which to achieve a mental breakdown of people so that they can be made to accept a new ideology."
Once you have noted the dynamic and the function at a core level of a coercive system of thinking (what I am labeling 'core dysfunction'), and once you have identified the players within that system as being unconscious of their own use of such a system, the exposure of the game changes form. In a sense I guess it steps out of 'good-faith dialectic' and become one of 'dragging into the light'.

I would also suggest that the self, the person who is 'defending' against such an onslaught, must needs become 'tricky' and capable of concealment. There is a whole range of skills that are required to resist being dragged in. The self is really the precious thing and must be protected from manipulation. To give over your self to some 'dysfunctional group' is not the wisest idea! The game becomes one of resistance, counter-ploy, use of innuendo, defense, etc. But all through the system, all through the players within the system, run all manner of devious currents. These currents can be identified, at least generally. 'Sincerity' is a farce. I suggest everyone actually sees this but few are brave enough (?) to state it.

It is really quite a trip.
Ni ange, ni bête
Diebert van Rhijn

Oh yeah, you did have a "case", I forgot, that this forum was one big dysfunctional cult-like family with you being alone in such a hostile group. But that's just not of interest to anyone but you since it's a projection of your own emotional issues with fitting anywhere at all, being abandoned one time too many! Like that drunk guy in the bar who keeps on going on about that same thing. Of course Dan's used to it, might explain why you're still here. He wants to recreate the pub online!
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Inaccurate portrayal. The founders of the forum operate with a basic 'system of thinking' that, in my view, can be described as 'dysfunctional', 'coercive', etc. The elements of it are communicated to others who then 'play' within the system similarly. As with Russell, the young disciple tentatively exploring ways to operate as a proselyte, and a very clear example. Certain key members of a group 'operate' elements of that system, using it as a tool of coercion/proselytizing. The system originated long before my arrival here and will continue operating long after I am gone. It is erroneous, in my view, to cast it all back on 'emotional issues', but in fact this is just one among many of different techniques of misrepresentation used. The same techniques have been used in the past and will be used in the future. As I indicated---colorfully---I 'simply upend the table'. It is radical, I know, but it is effective, and necessary.

I have no other way to communicate with you-plural except through attempts to describe accurately what I see here. My descriptions function against your 'games' and this makes them 'intolerable'.

I have proposed alternatives. But in my case, at least right now, I am not exactly sure how to formulate the alternative I suggest, or that which arises from a 'reaction' to coercion. My real failing is there. But that is being remediated.

At any moment Dan is free to deactivate my user names. I offer no argument either in pro or in contra to being 'active'. It is not my decision to make. It is your forum and as I said privately to you, you have the right to engineer it. But while I am here I will express myself according to my sense of 'how things really are'. I have faith that people will make their own assessments.

[Those usernames are by the way: Talking Ass, Alex Jacob, Alexis Jacobi, Alex T. Jacob.]
Ni ange, ni bête
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Let no one forget that Alex simply dodges any engagement in understanding the "system", as he puts it, whenever it is put straight forward to him. He calls it game, as I predicted, an indulges himself in a tirade of his own measurements regarding the attitudes of those that postulate the ideas. He covers his tracks with verbose fallacies, as Dan pointed out, and can make it seem that there is no logical argument being presented at all, just general mudslinging.

As far as I can tell, he has a very strong egotistical attachment to the drama this creates, most of which exists merely in his own mind. He's not going to change. It really does cause me to wonder what value is there in keeping him around? Is it because he displays egotistical defiance towards wisdom in the loudest, most arrogant ways? In that context, I suppose we can learn from his example, and cause us to look at our own egos. Or is it that, if he weren't around, another dimwit like him would show up, so we might as well let him occupy that space?

One thing's for sure, there's just about zero hope whatsoever in getting anything profound into that enormously thick skull of his. In fact, I think he feels the most offended, not when others insult him for being completely retarded, but instead when a serious conversation about the absolutes is attempted with him, as if it is equivalent to telling him to put a gun to his head and pull the trigger! Or, as he likes to put it, pour acid all over oneself.

For as long as he's here, so will the need for "reverse commentaries" to clean up the mess he makes. How much it is considered a waste of time is up to the admins.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Leyla Shen wrote:What, you mean as in:

Bazza: It's your round.
Johnno: Get fucked, you cunt, I bought the last three! [produces the receipts]
Bazza: Ah, fuck you, you tight arse!

In Johnno's case, there's no adhom. Bazza is a cunt who should get fucked!

Not so in Bazza's case, though!
The fallacy in that exchange is: pub that gives receipts.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:
I had ad hominem arguments in mind here but all I'm saying is that it all depends on what else is there. If there's a case somewhere.
Yes, ad homs can appear to exist where they do not. Certainly most insults are not ad homs at all. I totally agree on that point. Ad homs are slightly slippery and the accusation of them is very often wrong. However, in Alex's case it's his entire posts that are often the ad hom and not always individual statements within them.
Even informal fallacies still assume a rational attempt of persuading someone of something, some reasoning and concluding.
Actually they more identify the moments where such rationality is set aside or doesn't exist.
But all I was saying is that there's in this instance never a case being made which could be debated rationally. And yes, that in itself might be called one big fallacy but I prefer to call it non-participation or just putting on a show. Much like at the pub! When one side just has not arrived yet into any meaningful discussion, how can one even point out a fallacy? Don't forget that one party does not want to discuss according to any standard. The appearance of discussion has become then just a cover for seduction, projection, offloading etc. It's more like listening to a drunk emotional guy at the pub I suppose.
It's a bit like that, yes, but even in those pub arguments, informal fallacies appear all the time. The reason I raised Alex's indulgence in them is basically because he won't be told by any of us. Everything we say is a mind fuck and a logic game; we cannot reach him, so I thought some "authority" outside of ourselves might shift his mind a little. It's my last hope and one pretty much pre-judged as forlorn.
Diebert van Rhijn

Alex Jacob wrote:Inaccurate portrayal. The founders of the forum operate with a basic 'system of thinking' that, in my view, can be described as 'dysfunctional', 'coercive', etc.
Another example how disingenuous you play in each and every sentence you write. So while you talk about founders communicating a dysfunctional, coercive system to proselytizing disciples, my summary of your idée fixe being about some "big dysfunctional cult-like Family" is now inaccurate?

If my rather generous and mild estimation of 'emotional issues' being at play is erroneous then you're just being plain dumb under all the weight lifting. There's a lot of fundamental shit wrong with the world, the forum and the members (really what's the difference) but you haven't come closer to any of it. Simply because you cannot take yourself out of the equation and you even constructed some ragtag philosophy around the idea that this is undesired and poison to even aspire. Now that's what I'd call erroneous!

See you around.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Alex Jacob wrote:At any moment Dan is free to deactivate my user names. I offer no argument either in pro or in contra to being 'active'. It is not my decision to make. It is your forum and as I said privately to you, you have the right to engineer it. But while I am here I will express myself according to my sense of 'how things really are'. I have faith that people will make their own assessments.

[Those usernames are by the way: Talking Ass, Alex Jacob, Alexis Jacobi, Alex T. Jacob.]
I have decided based on this and other correspondence to exercise that freedom and propel you towards endeavours other than the one you are currently engaged in here.

Have fun. Do continue Talking out your Ass. - elsewhere that is.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned
to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike
up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total
stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God,
or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.

"Okay," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask
you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same
stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns
out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence,
thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea." To which
the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss
God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don't know shit?"

And then she went back to reading her book.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Um, relevance? Point? I got nothin'...
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

The relevance is : He [Alex] doesn't think your qualified to discuss higher topics, that "YOU don't know shit".
You're an atheist.

Anyways...I thought the joke summed up the whole dialogue here in a nut shell.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Zennish atheist to make it worse.
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Imagine if he were a cult-minded, acid consuming, mind fucking, women hating zennish atheist.. he probably would've hit her with some bullshit "evolved different digestive systems" argument.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

no zennish atheist in their right mind would see the difference between shit and God.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Weininger:
If, rather than acknowledging the proposition A = A, I wanted to attempt to refute it, in so doing I would have to make use of logic, i.e., of exactly this proposition. If at some point I did not comply with it, that would mean that my deduction was false. The proposition itself is thus the criterion of truth and falsity, and from the start it is the measure of my deduction, the standard which I work from as soon as I begin to deduce. Therefore, I can at most reject all inferences, and abstain from judgement.* Whether I undertook to refute the proposition, or to prove it, in both cases it would already be presupposed in the argumentation, in both cases I would have obtained the result by fraud. The proposition thus remains a thesis that can neither be proven nor disproven. I can trouble myself about it, but am not logically obliged to, for logic culminates precisely in the content of this proposition (and its other two forms of expression, the laws of non-contradiction and excluded middle4, the relative advantages of which, greater or lesser, will not be gone into here). That I cannot escape from this proposition may be of interest to pathological psychology, but it is of no significance for the explanation of the proposition; I cannot escape from various other things, either, e.g., from myself. Thus logic cannot be proven, cannot be derived from something else: Q.E.D.
By the way, Jupiviv, show us some real balls.

I await either your explanation, or you conceding, as to how the above Weininger quote supports your position, stated as follows, paying particular attention to the contradictory statements I have bolded and underscored:
L: And since truth is belief because it can't be proven, anything goes, right Jupiviv!
J: Any *thing* goes, yes. That's irrefutable, yet unprovable, since all proofs are in it.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
L: All proofs are "in" (meaning derived from) A=A, not God.
J: Besides, A=A, like 1+1=2 or x^2*x^2=x^4, doesn't provide any meaning in itself.

Explain how something being in x is equivalent to it deriving its meaning from x.
L: The first is a law, the balance of your examples, mathematical function. The law is a law derived from and for meaning, coherence and non-contradiction.
J: A=A is no more or less of a law than 1+1=2, and provides as much/as little meaning etc. If you really believe it to be the source of meaning/coherence then you're a moron.
L: Explain how truth is the same as belief.
J: Because [belief] cannot be proven to be true.
~

*Is this what you call ascertaining truth, and meaning in "god"...? :)
Between Suicides
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

A=A is really neither a law nor an axiom nor a truth, absolute or otherwise (truth and falsity apply to propositions and A=A is not a proposition). It is literally prior to all these things - they are all consequent to and of it. It is simply something understood. There is no label for it that we have that really fits. Or I can't think of one. If I'm forgetting something please let me know. Law is closest I guess when thought of in an Aristotelian way, but even that I don't like it entirely.

Let's give A=A a name. Let's not make it "Trevor", however.
Leyla Shen

What is the meaning of life?

Post by Leyla Shen »

I'd like to call it 42, Dan.
Between Suicides
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

It is simply something understood.
The ultimate axiom?
Between Suicides