The Metaphysical Dream of the World

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dennis Mahar

Re: The Metaphysical Dream of the World

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Mystical or poetic language does indeed provide an avenue to have a relationship to 'it', but if the goal is to be in conscious union with 'it', languaging a relationship to 'it' must cease.
Any language/concept seeking representation is a pale shadow.
Direct experience as access.
Shocking.
WTF!
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

I think that I understand you, Pam.

I have a feeling though that I am located in a different sector of the social world and with a different calling. It would seem to me that for those so inclined, in respect to the transcendent, a relationship of 'silence' or simply communion would take the place of any ladder. That is how I read you. But since I read you, you are not silent! You speak. You intimate. Yours seems to me a very personal and somewhat exclusive path or way-of-being.

I am interested in things at a far more basic level. Really just in helping some of the people around me hold to the mere possibility of a 'transcendent' and not to be swept away or 'atomized' by forces with the power to do so.

My goal is to find language that can be used to help people get to and stay on a very basic rung.
Ni ange, ni bête
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Alex Jacob wrote:I think that I understand you, Pam.

I have a feeling though that I am located in a different sector of the social world and with a different calling. It would seem to me that for those so inclined, in respect to the transcendent, a relationship of 'silence' or simply communion would take the place of any ladder. That is how I read you. But since I read you, you are not silent! You speak. You intimate. Yours seems to me a very personal and somewhat exclusive path or way-of-being.

I am interested in things at a far more basic level. Really just in helping some of the people around me hold to the mere possibility of a 'transcendent' and not to be swept away or 'atomized' by forces with the power to do so.

My goal is to find language that can be used to help people get to and stay on a very basic rung.
Alex, silence in relation to wisdom does not mean not speaking or doing, it means being moved of one's individual, subjective causality. This silence of subjective movement of causes IS the transcendent in the sense that it is transcendent to error, which is belief in an objective, empirically determined cause.

Put simply, if I want to cause a computer to appear, I would follow the causal path of making a computer appear. If my causal path is to steal a computer, I will live of that causal path. If my causal path is to earn money to make a computer appear, I will live of that causal path. If I barter with someone to make a computer appear, I will live of that causal path. The principle of causality is the same in the reverse. If I want to cease making things appear, I simply cease making them appear.

The simplicity and clarity and peace of causality is not romantic, which is why 'woman' is negated on Genius and why those who love the romantic struggle to understand causality. What I can tell you is that once I was a romantic for the transcendnet and only by 'wearing my romantic out' did I move past it.

If your goal is to help (cause) people find and stay on a basic rung, then go it. But I doubt that you will find many here interested in pursuing this cause.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

When I say 'find and remain on a basic rung' what do you think I mean by that? I am curious if your read of it is the same or similar as what I meant.
Ni ange, ni bête
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Alex Jacob wrote:When I say 'find and remain on a basic rung' what do you think I mean by that? I am curious if your read of it is the same or similar as what I meant.
Ultimately, what I think you mean or what you think you mean by a basic or non-basic ladder rung is irrelevant for neither you or I can be what we are (be of our causes) if we are dreaming of what we could or should be.

Why are you dreaming of a ladder?
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

That was the most elegant method of avoiding a question I have ever encountered! :-)
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

When I say 'find and remain on a basic rung' what do you think I mean by that?
It means 'find and remain on a basic rung'.

hoping to be less vulnerable

for you a more secure place to sling mud from

a citadel,fortress, impregnable.

hoping to be the 'big guy'
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

If Pam doesn't ratify this wild opinion I'm afraid I am going to have to reject it.

;-)
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

What else could you do but reject it.
it looks contra-survival to you.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Alex, you said before I don't understand what you write, you are correct, I don't even read a quarter of what you write, why would I waste that much time, it's like learning about a view I know to be delusional. Write less.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

When I used the term 'get on the first rung and remain on it', what I meant was an extension of what I'd written about transcendental influence and values. What I am interested in, possibly above all other considerations, is contributing to keeping open a 'conceptual pathway' to transcendental possibilities for man. My understanding is that what is valuable, the most valuable, for humans comes to us from an unseen realm, and it is also in that unseen realm (so many 'quotations' are required around words because language is treacherous when employed to describe what in truth cannot be described) that divinity exists, and it is my understanding that divinity communicates with us, and also that we can communicate to divinity. Because I see the 'transcendental relationship' as being THE most valuable aspect to our terrestrial, incarnated life, and everything valuable and meaningful comes to us through it, I am forced as it were to 'defend' the ramp or the aperture or the link that opens to it as other vast mechanisms seek, quite aggressively, to swamp man.

I see people, common people, as being particularly vulnerable. They are usually the ones who do not have the mental or conceptual sophistication to actually grasp what is happening around them and also to them. There are vast, machine-like forces at work in our world, and people, organizations and ideas that work for these machine-like forces, that mean no good at all. In fact, to push on this metaphor, they have a sort of analogous to 'demons': they feed off consciousness, and also the sap of human beings, and much else.

Possibly one of the only 'tools of defense' that certain people have available to them are rather slight, even rather flimsy, 'conceptual pathways' that enable a connection to be maintained with the transcendentals. Having such a conceptual pathway may be one of the only or the only defense that keeps them from being swallowed by mercenary forces.

To keep a pathway open---in an energetic, higher-energy sense---to what I could call 'angelic presence' but essentially to intellect as I define it and to higher transcendental mind, is also aided by holding to a real and existent knowledge-base. It is imperative to keep language-channels open because it is through sophisticated language, through scripture and poetry to put it generally, that is the means of communication for high ideas of this order. This is the task of 'education' as I see it. Real education, education that is a blessing, real nourishment, the literal nourishment of souls who work in this plane of existence for admirable goals.

A great deal more could be said about this. But defending and protecting that 'first rung' on the ladder, in my view, is a 'holy task', and it is service to people, to persons, insofar as they are 'children of the transcendental'. The 'first rung' is the beginning of the possibility of making progress out of materialism as a mire, as a death-trap. It is getting to the possibility of living, that first run of emergence from entrapment, where the mind begins to open up, where one feels (sentiment is crucial) a resonance with something, a calling if you will, the enables one to progress through this incarnation.

I am not precisely sure what you mean with:
What else could you do but reject it.
it looks contra-survival to you.
Except that I wonder from time to time just what you are smoking...

;-)
Ni ange, ni bête
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

John wrote:I don't even read a quarter of what you write, why would I waste that much time, it's like learning about a view I know to be delusional.
At least we understand each other...I am a bit of a mad-hatter, aren't I?
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

There's none other than God stoopid.
How could it be otherwise.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

I don't accept your brand of non-dualism. It seems, in you, to act like a drug---a destructive drug---that induces you to subvert value while, and this is my impression, exalting yourself. It leads I think to a false sense of your own power, or perhaps 'discerning ability' is a better term. If you embody non-dualism, if you are its spokesman, I don't think I want much to do with it. Therefor dualism seems to fit my 'metaphysical dream'.
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

poor me
sob, sob,
oh, save me, save me
oh blessed master
save me, save me
sob, sob
sniff, sniff
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Alex wrote:For example in the US: Mormonism, Pentecostalism, Seventh Day Adventism and Christian Science are all 'radical Christian projects' in the sense that they arise from that structure within culture, and yet they do not fit your list of bulleted items and may deviate even 'radically' from them
And yet all four of those projects, so far as I know, believe in the resurrection and its redemptive power, a belief notably lacking from the house philosophy: how can you call a project "Christian" when it lacks the defining belief of Christianity? Perhaps you really mean "post-Christian" rather than "radical Christian[ity]"? Accuracy of terminology is important...

----

Diebert, thank you for your response. You mentioned Alex's "controlling" and "dominating" tendencies, and it made me think of an opposing tendency: a tendency to submission. It seems to me that most if not all world views, particularly religions, and any proselytising system (such as the house philosophy), involve some type of submission: to God, to Christ, to (religious) law, or simply (as with the house philosophy) to a set of doctrines/arguments/positions. I suggest that part of the aversion that some of us folk have to the house philosophy is against its (if I can personalise a system) will for us submit to it (where we don't believe it is a "wholesome" system).

Do you feel that will for submission? It's palpable to me at times.

Just a thought, I'm under no illusion that this is an outstanding response.

----
Dennis wrote:You don't have values, that's ridiculous.
You ARE that.
You don't have a philosophy.
You ARE that.
Semantics. There's no point in arguing over it.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

All your crap is semantics and that's OK then?
The anti-house philosophy has that will to submission. It's palpable at times.

The left hand has to know what the right hand is doing Laird.

Fair enough?
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Dennis, I didn't say that "all" your "crap" is semantics, I meant specifically what you wrote in that post. "Have" versus "are", I don't see the point in arguing with you over - I'll keep my wording and leave you to yours, knowing that we're talking about much the same thing.

The anti-house philosophy will is, I think, a reaction to the house philosophy will, yours being no small part of that. I go to sleep at night hoping that Dennis isn't going to aim his E&M machine gun at me! E&M ratatat E&M ratatat E&M!

I'm teasing. :-)
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Will you allow this point kind sir.

A few guys have a profound experience of dependent origination and set up a forum for discussion.

Others independently experienced same and join the chorus.

All are confident and certain of the truth of it.

Other guys come along who have not experienced same.
Is it fair and equitable for these guys to discount, make wrong, repudiate, trash from a position of not having experienced same?

If you tasted orange and I never tasted orange,
wouldn't it be silly of me to condemn you for it?
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Do you really expect me to accept a reduction of this forum to a single experience (of "dependent origination")? Is that ALL or even predominantly what this forum is about? Whole books have been written by its founders covering not just "an experience" but, quoting from WOTI's byline, "intellectually comprehending the nature of Reality", not to mention the nature of Woman and dozens of other issues. It's the "intellectual" part that anti-housers, or at least I, take issue with, as well as the significance to assign to whatever experiences of "emptiness" you've had - after all, the house philosophy is not shy to pronounce judgement on experiences that are significant to me: divine assistance, near-death experiences (of others, I've had none myself), etc. You as a houser seem to have forgotten the extensive judgemental streak of the house. Meditate on it, and you might understand better why I say that anti-houser wilfulness and judgemental tendencies are in reaction to those of the house.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

after all, the house philosophy is not shy to pronounce judgement on experiences that are significant to me: divine assistance, near-death experiences (of others, I've had none myself), etc.
are these dependent origination,
conditional.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

guest_of_logic wrote:Diebert, thank you for your response. You mentioned Alex's "controlling" and "dominating" tendencies, and it made me think of an opposing tendency: a tendency to submission. It seems to me that most if not all world views, particularly religions, and any proselytising system (such as the house philosophy), involve some type of submission: to God, to Christ, to (religious) law, or simply (as with the house philosophy) to a set of doctrines/arguments/positions. I suggest that part of the aversion that some of us folk have to the house philosophy is against its (if I can personalise a system) will for us submit to it (where we don't believe it is a "wholesome" system).

Do you feel that will for submission? It's palpable to me at times.
There's ultimately a surrender involved. Like in Islam where it's the crucial concept but sadly enough mostly disconnected from intelligence and demand for truth. Compare also Kierkegaard's "leap of faith". If any big name would represent the "house philosophy" I think it would be Kierkegaard but then applied to the church of modernity. For example: "Coming close to God brings catastrophe. Everyone whose life does not bring relative catastrophe has never even once turned as a single individual to God; it is just as impossible as it is to touch the conductors of a generator without getting a shock".

David Quinn often called to "trust in your own mind and form a direct relationship with Nature". This boils down in trusting the truth of causality when it's figured out what is meant by it. Just by surrendering to, acknowledging the truth of it on all levels: all concepts about and beliefs in gods, spirits, self, destiny, consciousness, truths, falsehoods, spiritual healths or diseases are eaten away by this "acidic poison" of surrender. This is what is meant by liberation. Or the path towards it.

So it's understandable that there's a friction between individuality, the road of struggling with wisdom and against the crowds and surrendering to what's found to be true. The criticism is understandable and logical. But it's not hard to see that forever questioning and second-guessing whatever is known about yourself or your mind will only depreciate and deflate the whole effort on the long run.

Further reading: DEBATE: Causation and Spirituality -- classic debate between Samadhi and David Quinn
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Diebert wrote:David Quinn often called to "Trust in your own mind and form a direct relationship with Nature". This boils down in trusting the truth of causality when it's figured out what is meant by it. Just by surrendering to, acknowledging the truth of it on all levels: all concepts about and beliefs in gods, spirits, self, destiny, consciousness, truths, falsehoods, spiritual healths or diseases are eaten away by this "acidic poison" of surrender. This is what is meant by liberation. Or the path towards it.
Although I may be wrong or misunderstanding something, I am 'concerned' with the focus on a 'natural experience' and to some extent with the idea, if taken alone, of 'trusting the mind'. It seems to me that such a route, if operated exclusively, might lead to numerous errors. I also note that it tends to produce a self-referential system of thinking which, at least in some notable local persons, induces them to negate, or perhaps avoid altogether, to devalue or to cast aside, the 'knowledge base' of our accumulated history, our human repository. And so I point out such a revelation's 'dangerous' side.

When you write that 'all concepts about and beliefs in gods, spirits, self, destiny, consciousness, truths, falsehoods, spiritual healths or diseases are eaten away by this "acidic poison" of surrender', though I am uncertain if this is your belief (or method) or just your encapsulation of David's thinking, I begin to wonder if a revelation through 'a direct experience of nature' is really what we should be aiming for, I mean in an ultimate sense, as a 'path for man' as it were.
Ortega y Gasset wrote:"The truth is that, after we accompany him on his sublime voyage, what he succeeds in communicating to us is a thing of little consequence. I think that the European soul is approaching a new experience of God and new inquiries into that most important of all realities. I doubt very much, however, if the enrichment of our ideas about divine matters will emerge from the mystics' subterranean roads rather than from the luminous paths of discursive thought. Theology---not ecstasy!"
While it is not at all hard to imagine in the face of an experience of Nature a dissolution of or a diminishment of the kaleidoscope-like mental confusion, and through meditation an experience of cleaning out or clearing away, I am not convinced that it can realistically be touted as the best route to go. And keep in mind that it is highly touted as an experience opening up into levels of Absolute Truth that implies Absolute Understanding and at least in some sense 'the end of knowledge'. With this there seems to open up and to emerge something akin to what I have called 'hubris': an over-confidence in one's sensory (natural) experience?

'A direct experience of nature', in a negative aspect, could be seen to function like a drug-experience of nature; an experience of oblivion, a blasting away of discursive, mindful processes. If this experience is in effect a 'sensory' experience, and I don't see what else it could be, it is not an experience of 'knowledge' and cannot become knowledge until the experiencer of it interprets it. And that implies a mind that is there, established and capable of such an involved and refined act. When I read the words of the young souls who write here about their 'natural' experience, I cannot help but note that there is no developed intellect, or very little of one, and so the experience seems to utterly swamp them, to overwash them, to possess them. At that point there is no possibility of conversation, of discursive interaction or exchange, a most frustrating situation.

We come upon a whole group of problems if this is so. One of them is the presence of the fundamentally illiterate and unprepared person who pushes himself onto the scene and demands that his perception, his understanding, his presence, be accepted and heard. This is not at all a minor problem and, for me, one of my harshest criticisms of Q and R and S: illiteracy. And they draw out of the cyber woodwork young minds that mirror them in this specific sense. And like pigs rooting around in a library---unable to understand and appreciate where they are---they overturn things, grunt their 'wisdom', and in a group of different ways make a mess of things!
Ni ange, ni bête
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Alex Jacob wrote:That was the most elegant method of avoiding a question I have ever encountered! :-)
Alex, I cannot, for a moment know what you meant by the basic first rung, and knowing, not thinking about (dualism) is the only valuable interaction for someone who values conscious union with truth. Speculation about your motives for anything you write is a useless exercise, fodder for the ego's bloated and ever-suffering banquet of "perhaps", "maybe" and "possibly."

In telling you twice of the truth of the suffering of the lie of "perhaps", "maybe" and "possibly", I was not avoiding answering your question, I simply did not answer it so your ego could continue riding its gravy train of speculation, which I see it couldn't resist doing regardless of my 'tardy reply.'

Bottom line is that stories about the transcendent serve to cover the (already present) union of one's unseen (transcendent) conscience of infinite causes. I say this from experience; my history here at Genius will confirm this.

A question for you: what do you think will happen if you stop telling stories about the transcendent?
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Laird wrote:And yet all four of those projects, so far as I know, believe in the resurrection and its redemptive power, a belief notably lacking from the house philosophy: how can you call a project "Christian" when it lacks the defining belief of Christianity? Perhaps you really mean "post-Christian" rather than "radical Christian[ity]"? Accuracy of terminology is important...
I think Christian Science---in the angle I am pushing, which could be modified---comes a little close to a 'Christian project' and an understanding of Jesus Christ with some similarity, even if it is a stretched similarity, to QRStianity as a 'Radical Christian project'. David at least seeks association with a Gnostic Christianity which does not strictly depend on the notion of resurrection (et cetera) and is heretical to standard Christianity in that sense. But is it non-Christian?

When one traces the roots of these odd American and idiosyncratic religions (Mormonism, Christian Science, Adventism, Pentecostalism) they have roots that run back to the Burnt Over district of Western New York state in a period roughly between 1800-1850. This area was a cauldron to receive all kinds of different influences and ideas: 'revivalists, reformers, prophets, saints, seers and skeptics'. Out of this area and that time arose movements that went on to become some of the major religious movements such as those I named. But the movement toward 'radical redefinition' did not stop there, and from the so called 'Burn Over Region' all sorts of radical movements in thinking began which fanned out and have continued to fan out.

My point, although I don't have much of a problem with 'post-Christian', is to locate the underlying 'energy' of QRSism in a specific cultural setting that is essentially 'Christian'. I tend to believe that ideas, even an idea about 'resurrection' and 'salvation', does not have to function literally but sublimates into a kind of symbolism and yet moves in unusual ways. QRStianity has more in common, I think, through its cultural matrix, with Christianity than it does with anything else, including Zen or Buddhism.
Ni ange, ni bête