The Century of the Self

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Alexis Jacobi

The Century of the Self

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Diebert wrote:What I'm after I guess is the potential spellbinding in participating on a forum as a victim looking for a fix or a judgment. Or as a judge passing sentences. Or as a savior hinting at liberation. Since these are such a powerful, intoxicating roles, there's a large potential for addiction and perpetuating the bind in each other in our responses. Even by introducing liberation as unbinding, the story of "betrayal" still could happen under the radar. Anyway, this was part of the background to my last few posts.
I would like to suggest this interesting BBC 'documentary'. The Century of the Self. This is a link to the whole, rather long, documentary but youtube has it divided into sections.

Although your 'question' is a very specific one, about this unusual individual you have located in 'Talking Alex' with his various disguises, party hats, spiels, shticks and other such shiny, twirling balls, I have a strong feeling that you, like so many of us, have a quite vital area of concern: our own self and its survival. Am I wrong? Is there anyone here who can honestly say I have no concern for my own self? Its well-being, realization, solidity, and also its ability to communicate [its message, or its inanity] to others?

For example I admit I went into a mild hypnotic state when, day-dreaming I was Seeker being instructed through youtube videos by Master Dan, master of smooth delivery and innate rationalism, I watched the Instructional Video about how to see and understand my presence in this Weird World. But even in that sort of post-Buddhist trance where I apprehended reality immediately and A=Aeally, I still found that it was the self, my self, who was there, trying to get clear about my [self] existence in this Swirl of Atoms called Existence.

The Tri-Alexian Manifestation, or the Two Alexes riding into New Jersualem on the back of a Talking Ass, should not ever be taken as a solid, definite thing. Then what, WHAT! you will ask, with a note of existential terror that touches me deeply, can we absolutely rely on when it comes to the Alexians? Dear Children: look always beyond what you see forming on your computer screen. For there really IS a 'core Alex' and he means you well.

Nevertheless, I would like to use the above 'study' as a starting point for a continued investigation of what I think we must describe as 'the Great Problem'. It is the problem we are all very much in right now. Diebert has identified the cutting blades of a mindless power in modernity ... that seeks, if allowed, to make mincemeat of us. To 'assimilate' us. There have been an endless array of techniques and strategies to deal with our Modern Selves, and I think that we are (all who write here) in one way or another and in various ways the outcomes of much that is suggested/indicated above.

As to 'intoxicating roles', as you know, I consider this weird Buddhist amalgam-religion that is GFerism to be its own little intoxicant and so, yes, it is not at all inappropriate to mirror that back to the space itself. The parody has two aspects: a strict parody which says that such a desire is improbable, and another level that says: not improbable, but difficult, but we still do not know just exactly how we find ourselves, live in ourselves, and make ourselves real, even if that means negating ourselves, erasing ourselves, melting ourselves with acid.

When you get to the part that deals on Erhart Seminar Training you will hear Dennis's familiar refrain: It is empty & meaningless and it's meaningless that it is empty and meaningless.

And please let's have a big round of apocalyptic applause for Alex Jacob, who is back from a long, long journey and will guide you along, at least for a little while.
Child and singing cradle one
Alex Jacob

Re: The Century of the Self

Post by Alex Jacob »

Thank you, thank you Alexis. Very interesting documentary and relevant I think to further conversation.
Ni ange, ni bête
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Alex, if you start indulging in the nonsense of speaking to yourself I'm going to delete you. Give it a rest.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

When you get to the part that deals on Erhart Seminar Training you will hear Dennis's familiar refrain: It is empty & meaningless and it's meaningless that it is empty and meaningless.
its empty and meaningless that its empty and meaningless is distinguished in Zen.

It's also distinguished by Meister Eckart.
Heidegger immersed himself in Meister Eckart who is Heidegger's inspiration.
When Heidegger wrote he was regenerating Meister Eckart.
These German philosophers are 'in step' with Buddhist thinking.

There is a Western tradition for E&M.

A couple of Eckart's observations:
The authorities say that God is a being, an intelligent being who knows everything. But I say that God is neither a being nor intelligent and He doesn’t ‘know’ either this or that. God is free of everything and therefore He is everything.”
That is in the order of Quinn's realisation as well.
You and the objects appearing are pure nothing.
That is in the order of Buddha/Nagarjuna emphasis.
All phenomena lacks inherent existence.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Interview with Larry Tye on his book 'The Father of Spin'.

Dan, if you delete my post(s) you will be turned into a tree frog. You have been warned.
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

'The Father of Spin'
who's the victim?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Adam Curtis his work has been discussed before several times on this forum. The most recent video I watched was his "All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace". He has a current blog on the BBC site. Most themes keep recurring through his work and certainly one is that of a struggle with manipulations and mechanization of a world which he thinks should be more human and positivist than that. Basically he seems to have an agnostic, libertarian view on the world. And yet I see him more as an artist than journalist or documentary maker.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Beyond Vietnam. Martin Luther King speech.

Hearts and Minds. A documentary by Peter Davis.

Dennis, if this thread has a purpose, it is to examine and possibly discuss what it means for us to live in the particular era in which we find ourselves: ourselves as 'outcomes' as I have often said. I know that these vids are a little long but actually you wouldn't have to watch all of them, just a part, to get the idea. I know too that this is a forum dedicated to the idea of 'enlightenment' and that, according to Right Reverend Quinn, it is a place for minds of many different orientations and perspectives to come together to examine higher ideas and ideals.

While I do not as you know have much use for the notion of 'enlightenment', I am very interested in 'enlightened attitude'. So, to your [baiting, obviously] question about 'Who's the victim', I could only reverse it and give you the chance to speak about your ideas of the meaninglessness of ideas about victims.

The way I see things, personally, is that 'we' are all victims of trauma. We are all dealing with it though we don't in fact know what the sources are. And as you know, I suspect quite strongly that you are also a victim of trauma, and your Buddhist ideas, for example, are an expression of it, but unconsciously. And though some of your ideas are considerable and potentially interesting, what you do with them is much the same as a rodent does with the little habitual paths he traces, day after day and for the length of a whole life. What I am getting at is, therefore, the inauthenticity of a response-system to the trauma of 'reality' with, shall we say, 'artificial contrivances'.

This is largely where I locate our Founders, too. I was reminded of it all over again as I was hypnotized by Dan's 'spiritual' video.

My purpose is to explore the unconscious aspect of our 'spiritual' beliefs and ideas...as strategies to avoid dealing with both truth and reality. But you know all this, don't you? So the question is: can you break out of the closed loops of your thinking to even explore other routes to expressing your own ideas? Can you make even a little effort?
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Diebert,
Adam Curtis his work has been discussed before several times on this forum. The most recent video I watched was his "All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace". He has a current blog on the BBC site. Most themes keep recurring through his work and certainly one is that of a struggle with manipulations and mechanization of a world which he thinks should be more human and positivist than that. Basically he seems to have an agnostic, libertarian view on the world. And yet I see him more as an artist than journalist or documentary maker.
Why put more junk in the head of a junkie already full of junk.
That's enabling.

He's back with his old move which is an accusation of stupidity.

He can see empty and he can't see empty is empty.
Which means he's stupid.
Why stupefy him further?
Diebert van Rhijn

Dennis Mahar wrote:Why put more junk in the head of a junkie already full of junk. That's enabling.

He's back with his old move which is an accusation of stupidity.

He can see empty and he can't see empty is empty.
Which means he's stupid.
Why stupefy him further?
A good question. You could ask it yourself as well, why talk about him, why challenge him? The way I see it the drama is already set up and the parts are moving. What are you going to do about it? You're already part of it now, why accuse the accuser?

The work of Curtis is all about breaking it all down, visually, technically, some of the mechanics of the linguistic worlds of politics and media. Perhaps Alex wants to do the same with people, breaking them down into the dramatic movements of victims, trauma, wounds and healing by reintegration. That might make something "real" for him or at least "authentic". It's perhaps his belief that such things are the hallmarks of reality and authenticity. No wonder any other approach would quickly seem artificial and avoiding reality in that light. And of course even having this conversation with you about it is turning it already into drama with the usual suspects. What would you suggest here?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Alex Jacob wrote:Interview with Larry Tye on his book 'The Father of Spin'.

Dan, if you delete my post(s) you will be turned into a tree frog. You have been warned.
I didn't say your posts. I mean you!
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

What would you suggest here?
Pye explained it adequately enough.

He's trying to engage a mothering typology in order to slay the father. (Quinn)
Oedipal shit.

It's a con.
A set-up.

The payoff he's seeking is to be abandoned again and again and again.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Diebert wrote:The work of Curtis is all about breaking it all down, visually, technically, some of the mechanics of the linguistic worlds of politics and media. Perhaps Alex wants to do the same with people, breaking them down into the dramatic movements of victims, trauma, wounds and healing by reintegration. That might make something "real" for him or at least "authentic". It's perhaps his belief that such things are the hallmarks of reality and authenticity. No wonder any other approach would quickly seem artificial and avoiding reality in that light. And of course even having this conversation with you about it is turning it already into drama with the usual suspects. What would you suggest here?
Alex desires to ground ourselves, tangibly, in 'this reality': the facts of history, and the facts of ourselves in a factual world. I don't know all of Adam Curtis's work so I can't comment on it, but the film/study in question is about the influence of a specific man and the influence of a specific [PR/propaganda] industry that has affected the world we live in, and quite really and quite dramatically, our very selves: the formation of our selves, the use of selves, the definition of selves in this world.

I see this are as the only 'sane' area of focus, and certainly for a focus that pretends to be 'spiritual'. Yet I will also say, and I think it is also demonstrated in parts of the film itself, that when people are thwarted in living actually in their world(s), or when the avenues to constructive activity are shut down by placing on them and on their path and in and on their body certain forms of actual and very real terror, that the ramifications of this, the effects of this on the living person, is to recoil from the possibility of 'genuine' and constructive [allow me to say 'authentic'] interaction with their world. In the face of that people seem to recoil away from reality and to retreat, neurotically, into other fields. Could be abstract religion. Could be strange forms of interpersonal therapy. Could be all sorts of 'pathological' reactions. That is basically, in a nutshell, how I see ourselves in the world we now inhabit. And as I say it is largely but not exclusively how I see the formulations of GF.

I also am forced to face the fact that there is in truth one are of 'drama' and this is the actual life that we live, the physical form in which we live life [the body], and every single event and interchange that any one of us lives for as long as we are in life. So, to speak in these terms: 'breaking them down into the dramatic movements of victims, trauma, wounds and healing by reintegration' is actually the only viable statement of truth possible! If there are facts, and if there is truth, it is there, in that and no place else. Unless you can name what that 'other' place is, which you cannot, unless you got weirdly metaphysical (which you, Diebert, sometimes do!)

A clarification, Dennis. 'Stupid' is not quite the word. I insult you very carefully and precisely but you think I am speaking in plural! You behave, intellectually and mentally, like a rodent. But even a rodent is not 'stupid'. Even a rat (generally when we speak of rodents we speak of mice or rats) is quite intelligent. But he lives in the closed world of his burrow as you live in your closed little world of Heidegger and Nagarjuna with a little Eckhart thrown in. Having read you (being forced to read you) for so long I would not if pressed describe you as 'stupid' but rather as a man who has established some small mental loops---or wheels perhaps---that he runs in. What is excruciating is that they are such tiny little wheels! But still, everyone has their area. I have mine, Diebert has his, Dan has his. Sometimes it seems to me that that is part of my point: this issue or fact of causation, of having been thrown into motion, a certain and specific movement, that is also our thinking patterns, a certain loop of ideation. To broach such a subject, here, is not at all irrelevant.
And of course even having this conversation with you about it is turning it already into drama with the usual suspects.
Someone once told me 'Don't reveal your strategies!' but I find it hard not to. Why be opaque? Ever since Dennis arrived here and instantly (and also logically) glommed on to me as an 'appropriate enemy' against which he could operate his mechanism of thinking (in an environment of generally mechanistic thinking), I have made every effort to, while not avoid drama, to invent and reinvent as many different strategies to combat mechanistic attitude as I could think of. This whole personality, in all its manifestations, that I call 'the Alexians' is part of a creative strategy to deal with some often very heavy and very humorless blokes who have glommed on to certain obsessive ideas.

It was all based, loosely, on Castaneda's (odd) ideas about dealing with the Petty Tyrant. The Petty Tyrant will latch onto you and do everything in his power to make you miserable, to drag you down to his level, to pollute you, or to 'oppress you with sorrow', etc. There is a whole hierarchy of levels of petty tyrantism. At the top are the ones who deprive you of life as the consummate act of terror. At the bottom, perhaps, are those who oppress us with their dark and dreary moods. But it is tyranny all the same.
Dan wrote:I didn't say your posts. I mean you!
Then the right word to use is 'ban'. Yet as you so very well know, and as I have said so many times before, if you desire to ban me go ahead and do it. Because I will never, and I have never, modified my speech to suit you. However, if you decide to 'ban' me, just write a very simple PM message, or better yet just post it, and say 'I have decided that you must leave'. The reason being that I like to collect my posts and save them. And Laird developed this little program that does just that. But it only works if one's name(s) are active, not in suspended status. So to recap: I will write exactly how I desire to write. But please don't 'delete' me, just ask me (if you so decide). And go fuck yourself. ;-)
Ni ange, ni bête
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

I fully admit to the Oedipus battles! But in actual point of fact have now usurped the father and am in that dangerous position of being myself deposed. And so I exclaim:
  • "Help! Call for help! They're out to get me! Oh evil world that knows no bounds! Heeeelp!
We are now and we will always 'go to battle with the Father'. It is the source of a great deal of constructive energy. Along those lines I hope that you fine fellows can look over this summation of Harold Bloom's ideas about 'the anxiety of influence'. Especially look at the very interesting definitions on page three.

The whole deal seems to hinge on how we engage ourselves in our Oedipal struggles, and how conscious we are.
Ni ange, ni bête
Diebert van Rhijn

Alex Jacob wrote:In the face of that people seem to recoil away from reality and to retreat, neurotically, into other fields. Could be abstract religion. Could be strange forms of interpersonal therapy. Could be all sorts of 'pathological' reactions. That is basically, in a nutshell, how I see ourselves in the world we now inhabit. And as I say it is largely but not exclusively how I see the formulations of GF.
Things are often only abstract to those not understanding the thing. Anyway, you assume to have defined "reality" in some way to be able to judge when people are retreating from it. But what you have is only your version of what you think is life and reality. Why even think it's shared? We can just as well define "being human" as the primal attempt to retreat from "reality", which has been described as a basic "absurdity" to our minds when we really try to look at it without blinders. Absurdity, utter absurdity, the preacher exclaimed, according to some scholarly translators. You can also find that view in some existentialist writing. What is the classification "neurotic" then apart from a convenient social structure to organize behavior inside a system. The same system you appear to oppose.
This whole personality, in all its manifestations, that I call 'the Alexians' is part of a creative strategy to deal with some often very heavy and very humorless blokes who have glommed on to certain obsessive ideas.
Yes, you're such a genius. So much incredible effort to "get through" to a bunch of humorless blokes on the backwater of the Internet. It's the image you like to portray but we all know the truth is rather different. You need this place and this dynamic. You're the patient here first and foremost. The addict to drama, to literary drama perhaps.

And of course I'm giving you more than anyone else what you desire: betrayal, disappointment, rejection, humiliation at times even. It all serves the cyclical movement of the drama of your ego. It will never die in the eye of the ego at least as ego is immortal, needs to be, it's formed out of this very belief. Alex will never leave the forum, even banned he'd come back after hiding in the shadows for a while. Even when the forum closes he'll find another lifeboat. It's his own self which needs to survive, the spill of all drama.

Buddha or how I imagine the teacher, spoke of "life is suffering" and then went on explaining what he meant with life and suffering. Life as the ignorant view on "self" and all effort to maintain it. All suffering is this ignorance. All suffering is this drama. The world needs to get rid of the false self and concepts of "life" which are not life at all, which are not as consequential as the false self keeps believing. This might sound weirdly metaphysical but in light of this thinking the whole old, stale, familiar world becomes quickly very weird and metaphysical; the false.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Diebert wrote:Buddha or how I imagine the teacher, spoke of "life is suffering" and then went on explaining what he meant with life and suffering. Life as the ignorant view on "self" and all effort to maintain it. All suffering is this ignorance. All suffering is this drama. The world needs to get rid of the false self and concepts of "life" which are not life at all, which are not as consequential as the false self keeps believing. This might sound weirdly metaphysical but in light of this thinking the whole old, stale, familiar world becomes quickly very weird and metaphysical; the false.
In the end, or at the beginning, I think this is where you most dynamically key-into the Quinnean doctrines and is also of course why you are forced to support the reductions of our dear brother Dennis. You have bought into and subscribed to the given doctrines at a core level.
This might sound weirdly metaphysical...
It is what it is. Let us not mistake the label 'metaphysical' for the factual content of your statement! But let us stick with the meaning of and in that statement. This is pretty important stuff...

Your opposition to 'me', and your attempts to label, oppose, resist, etc., the things I suggest oppositionally (taking as I do an opposing stance and in favor of a group of other ideas, meanings and ideals), is part of your cooperative service in defending the central doctrines of the founders of the forum. You are like a corporate front-man: the public relations man with a friendly enough face---a well-scrubbed face, an articulate voice, and most importantly an apparent neutrality---to appear before the cameras, to put the needed spin on things, but to always keep the discourse functioning within certain channels. When push comes to shove, though, you reveal your affiliations and your limitations. It is good, though, for you to reveal your basic affiliation. There is a huge amount of extraneous material that you carry with you but I think it is safe to say---indeed, you say it---that your viewpoint, your basic viewpoint, is expressed in the above paragraph. It is not at all easy to get you to 'fundamentally reveal yourself' because you appear as anything but 'orthodox'. But is it fair to say that at the base you, in your way, have established [what I call] a reduced platform around which to organize your ideology?

The rest of what you write about me: your attempts to corral me into your definitions, are not worth responding to. Or, as you know, it only brings me down into the area that you are quite comfortable operating in. [This is too a branch of 'petty tyrantism' and there are moments when you come out behind your veil and, at least I think so, one sees what is really there]. In fact it is your main area of operation, isn't it? Is it possible that this is what this Diebert is really about in the end? A shutting down of the possibility of conversation? A corralling of the conversation into tight, pre-established perimeters? The reduction of the conversation to some neo-Buddhist predicates? A desperate and concerted effort to uphold the predicates against all comers? But it is important to note that in articulating such definitions (of me), which are essentially inaccurate (whereas my definitions are essentially precise) that, again, you reveal your chief function on the forum and to the forum. At various times I have called you 'the greeter on a philosophical Walmart' or a 'Dutch philosophical den-mother', and this was all devilish irony and jabs of course. Could it be that I was right? But I resolve only to pose questions here: What exactly IS your role here?
Things are often only abstract to those not understanding the thing. Anyway, you assume to have defined "reality" in some way to be able to judge when people are retreating from it. But what you have is only your version of what you think is life and reality. Why even think it's shared? We can just as well define "being human" as the primal attempt to retreat from "reality", which has been described as a basic "absurdity" to our minds when we really try to look at it without blinders. Absurdity, utter absurdity, the preacher exclaimed, according to some scholarly translators. You can also find that view in some existentialist writing. What is the classification "neurotic" then apart from a convenient social structure to organize behavior inside a system. The same system you appear to oppose.
It is in this sort of writing that I say you get 'slippery'. When I say 'abstract' I am referring to a substitution of an idea-realm for that of a factual existence-realm, but the unnecessary mistaking of the idea-realm for the 'more real real'. This is the danger in any religious and theological system. And yet we really are symbolizing animals, and we hold a symbolic world in our mind and then 'relate' to it, interact with it. And though it is true, in a certain way, that 'reality' will always remain undefinable and even contended [as to what it is, why it is, and what we are to do with it], I nevertheless assert that you, Diebert, operate not from a position of clarity about 'it' but from one of self-obfuscation. You are confused. But you are not alone, not by any means: and you are not in control, and it is not necessarily, a conscious attitude. And when you ask 'Why even think it's shared?' [this definition of 'reality' that constitutes my predicates] I would begin to answer by saying that an answer to that question can be attempted when we can define what is lost when our 'reality' is destroyed. So, what is 'real' for the South Vietnamese (as in the video Hearts & Minds) is not something abstract and difficult to agree on! It is, at that level of terror, the loss of the platform where life occurs, the destruction of it.

And this is why that whole issue [war, conquest, racism] had such poignancy and deep-relevance. It is when one faces what is lost, what can be or is destroyed, that one gains a certain sobriety. One very quickly 'locates' the 'real real'.

Now, you are not an unintelligent fellow, so you should be able to make this distinction, but in fact I don't think you can. So, we can start from a point of seeing and articulating a position of 'total loss', of devastation, and the cost to those who suffer such a loss. And then we build back up from that point. And we will absolutely arrive at 'agreements'
We can just as well define "being human" as the primal attempt to retreat from "reality", which has been described as a basic "absurdity" to our minds when we really try to look at it without blinders. Absurdity, utter absurdity, the preacher exclaimed, according to some scholarly translators. You can also find that view in some existentialist writing. What is the classification "neurotic" then apart from a convenient social structure to organize behavior inside a system. The same system you appear to oppose.
And you are right in certain ways to point this out. But while you say 'retreat from reality' I will say 'react to reality' and this changes it, subtly but significantly. And what seems to be the upshot of it [any system of abstraction] is how we chose to act with our abstractions in relation to 'real life' which, as I assert, is known when you start from the position of the utter destruction of the platform of it. When you start building it up again (factually of course, but here in this conversation imaginedly) you then have a solid definition of 'reality'.

It is your essential problem, my friend, that you are stuck within loops of 'absurdity' and that you choose to react as you do to that perception. I can't quite take your reference to Ecclesiastes in seriousness since what you have done is twist it all over to serve your own neo-Buddhism. But it seems to be pretty central to your own organization of your own perception of your own relationship to life and to reality. And it is useful I think to see you spell it out.
What is the classification "neurotic" then apart from a convenient social structure to organize behavior inside a system.
Sure, and that is a valid critique. Except perhaps in the present context. I am defining 'neurotic' against a specific backdrop. Again, such a 'neurosis' that might occur after, say, your village had just been bombed to smithereens and all your family killed, is an example of a pathological reaction. One could go into insanity, deep depression, a never-ending melancholy, or one could, somehow, remain engaged in life. The trauma we face either breaks us or we organize ourselves against it and maintain wholeness. For me, this is the test of 'reality'. Your definition of 'neurotic' is a little different: a social judgment of appropriate behavior. I am placing a much wider spin on it.
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Cut the shit Alex.
Diebert's a wonderful man.
'as good as it gets' in a man.

you know it.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

If that is how you understand this and any other conversation, I think at this point you have have dysfunctional hardware. I can only suggest you stay out of conversations that are beyond your comprehension level.

Diebert, are you indeed 'as good as it gets in a man'? Walk proud! ;-)
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Walking proud is irrelevant.

There's a possibility for men and women to individuate.
That comes about through a profound experience of timelessness.
Diebert 'gets' timelessness. Talks out of it.

It's a 'cut above'.

when will individuation come for you.
strutting about with 'chip on shoulder' as you do with your puny trickster archetypes.
do you think any one gives a shit about 'shadow boxing' once timelessness is realised.

a few get in the ring with you for transformation possibilities, that's all.
surely it has dawned upon you that you have never landed a blow!

by the way, Bloom is 'Doing Heidegger'.
you didn't notice.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Dennis wrote:By the way, Bloom is 'doing Heidegger'. You didn't notice.
Please explain.
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

It's clear Bloom has immersed himself in Heideggerian 'thinking'.
Thinking about thinking.
Essential thinking.

The primordial space (timelessness) recognised as prior to any possibility of thinking happening.
grokking such 'gets' the possibility of thought/language as power of transformation.

He uses Heideggerian terms and shapes them 'Bloomingly'.
He has 'other' influences of course,
nevertheless Martin shows up.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

How is it clear that he has immersed himself in Heidegger? How did you determine that from the summary?

Are all who 'think about thinking' necessarily Heideggerian?

Explain 'essential thinking'. It is a catchy term. What exactly does it mean? How is it done?
The primordial space (timelessness) recognised as prior to any possibility of thinking happening.
grokking such 'gets' the possibility of thought/language as power of transformation.
I must admit that this got by me. I had not noticed that about Harold Bloom. How did you pick that out of that summary? What other works of Bloom have you looked into? What are your favorite ones? Or the ones where 'timelessness prior to any possibility of thinking happening' is best expressed?

Can you explain 'power of transformation'? Transformation from what to what, Bloomingly if you will. Or non-Bloomingly if it suits you.
He uses Heideggerian terms and shapes them 'Bloomingly'.
Yes, you have said as much. Can you provide a clear example from his works, say 'The Anxiety of Influence' or any other work?
He has 'other' influences of course, nevertheless Martin shows up.
What other influences have you discovered? Alongside Heidegger?
There's a possibility for men and women to individuate. That comes about through a profound experience of timelessness.
Can you explain what you mean by this? How does one get this profound experience of timelessness? When or how did it come to Diebert? Have you spoken about this with him? And when you say 'individuate' do you mean 'become an individual'? Become strong in being an individual? (I think it is normally understood this way. How do you mean it?)
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Bloom,
indistinguishable from poetic influence, since
strong poets make that history by misreading one another, so as to clear imaginative
space for themselves” (5).
If you read Heidegger's poiesis, the link between poetry and philosophy.
a poet/philosopher appropriates unto himself the influence of predecessors, as if family,
and a 'clearing' opens up or an access to timelessness, a breakthru' in expression.

The primordial space of nothing,
an absence of meaning,
meaningless,
prior to thought generating language,
open, listening, emptied.

a sudden break out of conditioning,
historicity shed like a snake shedding a skin in an instant.
adulthood, the family falls off, individuation.

nowhere a no.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Dennis wrote:The primordial space of nothing, an absence of meaning, meaningless, prior to thought generating language, open, listening, emptied. / A sudden break out of conditioning, historicity shed like a snake shedding a skin in an instant. Adulthood, the family falls off, individuation.
That is a wild line! Best heard if high on a psychedelic I think! Man if you ever were to use that on a chick she'd either melt in front of you or jump out the window! Best to lock the window just in case!

I have no interest in Heidegger myself. I read him a little and couldn't get much out of him. Not to say there is not something to be gotten. A down and dirty googling 'Harold Bloom and Heidegger' reveals that he more or less held him in contempt. But Bloom is one of strong opinions.

But you know, Dennis, none of this is relevant to the topic of this thread.

Could I ask you a favor? I real 'please, please, please' favor? Could you refrain from posting here if you can't really and honestly tie it in to the topic? I'd be happy to restate the topic if you'd like.

To be really truthful with you I would myself really rather NOT interact with you anymore. I don't seek you out but you constantly seek me out. Can we agree to cease it altogether, for mutual benefit and for the forum generally? Can you see that there is no way for our points of view to blend or interrelate? It's sort of like a jellyfish and a wombat trying to talk and get something done.

Would you be so kind from this point on to cease engaging me? Please? Pretty pretty please?
Ni ange, ni bête
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

And another PLEASE? Please please? I'll make a contribution to the charity of your choice. Hell I'll send you the money!

Please?
Ni ange, ni bête