The Century of the Self

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kunga

Re: The Century of the Self

Post by Kunga »

Dan Rowden wrote:I suppose you meant "conscience". Yes, they do have one, one mostly mired in delusions and herdly dynamics. I'd much rather a person of reason than one of "conscience".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conscious

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conscience?s=t

Yeah...you're right.. :)

But you can't be reasonable without consciousness.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Tomas,
PS - To Dennis, Alex is clearly not a fuckwit. Grow up, dude!
He's told us 100 times he's acting the goat.

This time he emerges with a bad poem, fluffs it up with a bit of jargon from wiki,
falls into a swoon,

and we get another 'costume change'.

introducing the 'catholic choir boy'
of a piousness, pure and chaste.

spiritual my hat!

one trick pony.

What's on the menu next week?
Last edited by Dennis Mahar on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

seeker,
Arrogance, delusion, suffering, joy, forgiveness, desire, all of these are the natural products of the dumbass machines. There is the deed, but no doer of the deed to be seen. Hence "machine", "causes/conditions", Dennis knew all along but can't admit what this means, is it too empty?
I know what you're going to say.

The fact is you are enabled to think, reflect and draw distinctions that ascertain the truth of the situation.
In such a way detachment is possible, grasping at straws less likely.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Dennis Mahar wrote:Tomas,
PS - To Dennis, Alex is clearly not a fuckwit. Grow up, dude!
He's told us 100 times he's acting the goat.
This time he emerges with a bad poem, fluffs it up with a bit of jargon from wiki, falls into a swoon, and we get another 'costume change'.
Introducing the 'catholic choir boy'
of a piousness, pure and chaste.
Spiritual my hat!
One trick pony.
What's on the menu next week?
Well then, why are you on his case? He's isn't going to change to see it your way. He's been polite and asked you to stop bugging him and just keep your responses to other people. You haven't not once to look below the surface to see anything his way of seeing this life.

My wife's mother is from Oz and we've been back there many times over the years the last was a couple months ago for her side of the family's family reunion. I know, the majority of people here at Genius consider that to be a form of 'pomp and circumstance' but to us it is living in the here and now. I'd thought about dropping in on Kevin at Tasmania but time became time and missed out on that. Maybe when we go to Oz in 2014, I'll make it. See Laird too!

Perhaps you've never walked a mile in his shoes. The United States (and South America) is foreign to you as are your non-existent experiences in San Francisco where he grew up. I'm quite familiar with that area as we have a house there. He has his interests (as you have a dog to keep you company in this world) he has a girlfriend with a kid (his attachment), so it isn't like you don't have an attachment, too.

So what if he's playing the goat angle, it's his life. Really, Dennis, get real. He is.
Don't run to your death
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Are you on a rescue mission?

are you particularly dimwitted?
he asks me to desist referring to him and within a post or two after that makes oblique/perjorative references about me.
what exactly is the bargain he proposes that is appealing to you.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Tomas,

If you made a tally of all the insults projected into the forum.
Alex would be responsible for at least 50% of them directed at many posters. (persecuting).

I throw a few back at him and he requests that it stop.(playing the victim).
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

A word here. Dennis, you know and I know and everyone knows that I have mercilessly satirized you. And it will never stop. Maybe other people appreciate you differently and God bless them if so but I conceive of you as a species of human cockroach. Such a harsh statement but there you have it. So, please feel free to respond, to do the same, or to post more or less the same message after any post of mine from now until Kingdom Come (keeping with the Catholic theme, heh heh). Still though, if you really wanted to contribute to the forum you might consider taking an independent role or thrust. Stop piggy-backing on Deebs or Quinn, and if you are going to harass me, do it with complete, well thought-out posts in comprehensible prose. Or, start your own thread and define a point or an issue you want to talk about.

From Day One you have glommed on to me. I suggest you investigate, privately, your reasons for this and---I can only ask---shift your tactics for the benefit of all concerned, and most of all your readership.
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

There you go playing the victim again.
Poor thing.
Got anything else?

As Bloom suggests,
why not transform from 'same shit different day'.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

You are perfect for all this.
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Is there a possibility for expression available to you that isn't 'same shit different day'?
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Tomas wrote: Well then, why are you on his case? He's isn't going to change to see it your way. He's been polite and asked you to stop bugging him and just keep your responses to other people.

"He's isn't"

What a loser. You lose a cookie. What was that about bugging people Tomas?
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

The truth is that the insults don't mean anything, does anyone here actually feel any anger toward anybody else? I doubt it, so why not just cease fire, get back to that open discussion which has mostly been replaced by argument.

Dennis Mahar wrote:I know what you're going to say.

The fact is you are enabled to think, reflect and draw distinctions that ascertain the truth of the situation.

At the essence of detachment is a silent mind not a contemplative one.

All of the contemplation is as useless and meaningless as thoughts one might have while barely awake.

There is one single reason you would argue otherwise: People think thoughts are useful..... for discovery, survival, living, understanding etc. You assign some measure of credibility to them due to their use in navigating the mundane world, and so then people become convinced that their contemplations on ultimate reality are also reliable to some measure.

The mistake is clear, people are confusing being able to "get around" for understanding. In reality all that is happening is seeing followed by provisional and meaningless naming.

Thought is uncontrolled and flows constantly, machine, even your simple idea of it being useful for navigating is a delusion, all our experience flows along with thought. As opposed to there being an external place in which thought is useful for knowing and survival, it is more like a bird/animal/machine which does as it does because that's what it does, in other words, we are as smart as trees.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Okay Dennis, since I'm not getting though, let's try another angle.

Still not getting through? Echoes of Sisyphus.

Enjoy! But not too much...
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

seeker,

what calls us to thinking?
what evokes thinking in us?
There is one single reason you would argue otherwise: People think thoughts are useful..... for discovery, survival, living, understanding etc. You assign some measure of credibility to them due to their use in navigating the mundane world, and so then people become convinced that their contemplations on ultimate reality are also reliable to some measure.
People see themselves in 2 contradictory ways.

being and becoming self-sufficient
finite and dependent
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I'm not sure what you mean, although I get the hint it may be relevant to my current situation.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

start a new thread if you like.
I'll play the student, you play the teacher.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I can't understand why you wrote that, but I'd prefer the whole yes/no clear dialogue. Agree with what we agree on when asked, and disagree when we disagree, without the slightest confusion, it seems the simplest way to find the exact distinctions/disagreements and address them.

Although I wouldn't know what to post about these days, not much to say. Anyone thinking like this lives with a perspective out of the ordinary and hence behaves differently, what happens this way? More than usual solitude seems a part of it.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Reading my own posts from nobody, that's why I will not speak much. The only reason I could possibly be so content with this is the natural love of things, beauty in everything is paradise, silent screaming is hell. Existence is apparently going to be too exhausting, what do you make of the Buddha's "extinction"?
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:The truth is that the insults don't mean anything, does anyone here actually feel any anger toward anybody else? I doubt it, so why not just cease fire, get back to that open discussion which has mostly been replaced by argument.

Dennis Mahar wrote:I know what you're going to say.

At the essence of detachment is a silent mind not a contemplative one.

All of the contemplation is as useless and meaningless as thoughts one might have while barely awake.

The mistake is clear, people are confusing being able to "get around" for understanding. In reality all that is happening is seeing followed by provisional and meaningless naming.

Thought is uncontrolled and flows constantly, machine, even your simple idea of it being useful for navigating is a delusion, all our experience flows along with thought. As opposed to there being an external place in which thought is useful for knowing and survival, it is more like a bird/animal/machine which does as it does because that's what it does, in other words, we are as smart as trees.
"Tranquility at the expense of awareness is dozing; awareness at the expense of calm is 'tripping.'"
- Shinzen Young

http://here-and-now.org/VSI/Articles/Th ... oryHow.htm

The link offers some insights regarding still mind and contemplation.

You could also say that detachment is essential for silent mind, and that dharana (call it what you like) is essential for detachment.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Having followed, read, re-read, and reflected on this thread, and "consumed" much of the material referenced in it, I'd suggest that the point at which it was "diverted" was in the fourth post on the second page, a post by Diebert, in which he suggested that the thread's subject matter didn't belong in the main forum, and outlined why he believed this to be the case, in the process outlining that which (by extension) he would prefer to discuss.

I write of this as a "diversion" because this is a term that Alex has used, but it might equally be seen as "the core conflict". In any case, it marked, aside from Alex's response, the last time in which anyone referred significantly to the subject matter of the thread. "Oddly" (in that he is neither a puppy nor a woman), I side with Alex here: it is impossible for me not to view the machinations revealed in The Century of the Self as an attack on human dignity, and indeed on human spirituality. Diebert's view seems in contrast to me to be divorced from reality.

Diebert writes of "ego" in the sense he intends it, and as it is (he seems to suggest) used on the forum, as "error, as something to eradicate, a fog to blow through, a window to be washed", and as a "clinging" to ego in the prior concrete sense he defines, of "movement in space and time". I agree with Alex that this is a very vague definition, but, more to the point, I don't understand how it could in any way be formed into a meaningful response to the sort of machinations that are the subject matter of this thread. I'm trying to imagine how a conversation would run:

Vietnamese countryman: "Soldiers in the American army who had no understanding of the ideological basis of the war they were fighting bombed my family and my home into oblivion".

Diebert: "Never-mind, what's most important is that you wash the window of your ego and eradicate the error of your self".

Vietnamese countryman: "Thank you, kind sir. My home and family have been destroyed, brainwashed foreign invaders are attempting to hold my country in bondage, and it is probable that many more people will be killed, and that unless people like me resist, my country *will* be held in bondage, but on your advice I now understand that I should not care at all about my future living conditions when I could instead 'stop clinging'. I may starve, be turned into a serf, be killed, and my countrymen suffer the same fate, but why should I care? Better starving, enslaved or dead than have a foggy ego".

Or how about:

American citizen: "Politics has been corporatised, it is now run like a business serving the superficial whims of its swinging consumer-voters, the authenticity of the political process has been corrupted, and it's hard to see how that authenticity can be regained".

Diebert: "It's interesting to talk about this, but what's more important is that your ego is an error".

American citizen: "Oh, yes, of course. Never-mind the encroach of fascism, I will gladly submit to the unending boot so long as the window of my ego is washed clean every morning".

Diebert, I know that these are cartoon-ish and exaggerated mini-dialogues, but perhaps you could suggest how they would run from your perspective? I simply fail to see how some abstract notion of an ego as "error" is in any way more relevant than the material conditions of the world in which a self finds itself, particularly where those material conditions are profoundly contemptuous of the (spiritual) dignity of the selves in that world.

Oh, and Tomas, you're very welcome to visit here, only I'm sure you'd be disappointed to meet me in person, as I'm a particularly reserved and quiet lad with barely a word to say. Kevin's far more outspoken than me though, so I'm sure you'd find his presence stimulating.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

As usual, a sensible and cogent post. At least it makes sense to me. I think 'one' might spend a proverbial coon's age trying to understand why communication goes so easily awry here, but it is useful to attempt to remember that everyone who writes, writes in good faith and according to their perspective. There is *something*, some special thing, some internal truth that has been realized or revealed to them that informs their opinion, and because it was so hard-won, as such truths of our lives are, they are not about to allow anyone to undermine it with what appear to be distortions, incomplete or immature understandings, self-deceptions---but then where do 'lies' fit in?

For me, this is the most tricky part and is the part where I would connect the meaning of a world dominated by propaganda and psychological manipulation and a battle for the domination and control of self...with pathological reactions to those facts of the outside world. And that is why I often see the 'spirituality' recommended here (to be terribly and also unfairly general since there are many different outlooks represented here) as 'unconscious reaction' and as a way of defending oneself against an onslaught against the unity or self. But yes, if for you the self in se is a false category, and if it is having or 'believing' in a self (what a bizarre idea: not to believe in your own self!) is seen as the source of the problem, then there is really nothing at all to converse!

And if your orientation is in that area of dissolution of self, or some sort of ascetic denial of it, or modification of all terms of living to accord with a philosophy of disappearance, then any such thrust as mine, or Laird's, or numerous others who do or have participated here, you will be duty bound to see such a value-presentation as erroneous in itself, the source of the problem, etc. At least that is how I have come to understand opposition, as I receive it, here in this space. It is not and never has been about lack of reasoning or an inability to reason, it is simply a question of how one goes about assigning value.

And then, as now, those who don't see things *this* way, who don't desire to assign value to these things, will do everything in their power to shut down a contrary conversation. The reason this must be carried out---a necessity to shut off certain voices, certain structures of ideas, certain ways of valuing---is really quite complex. It is also essentially irrational! So, at least for me, I conclude that the argument against is where the irrationality is to be found.

In private communication in relation to his post Laird wrote:
  • "I see glimpses of their "internal truth" in Diebert's admiration for aspects of Saint John's approach (his ascetism in particular), but it is as you imply the failure to appreciate the role of love (and especially of divinity) that makes their approach in that regard ... well, incomplete and even unfounded, I would suggest. Why deny yourself when there is no higher purpose in doing so? If life is but a blind (naturally-selected) evolution of matter, and it is all at root "empty and meaningless", then why deny yourself anything? Why not "live it up"? What is the point in ascetism in a universe without a God and hence a higher purpose for which one might meaningfully deny oneself?

"I'm curious to know what you mean by the necessity to shut off certain things as "essentially irrational". Surely it is rational to attempt to promote ideas you value over those you find dangerous?"
I responded:
  • "Proposing, as to Dennis, the importance of understanding our factual self in a factual world, is so much what he doesn't want to hear or can't hear, that the idea becomes threatening to him (and others), and so there is a psychological, seeming unconscious, reaction against it, and the one who presents it, and it seems essentially an irrational reaction against sober rationality.

I perceive that Diebert, at some core level, does a similar thing, which is why they can team up, unlikely as that seems. *Something* is being defended: some group of choices, some strategy for dealing with life, something. But, they would say the same thing about my and your view."
Laird wrote:
  • "I think there's something in the idea of "authenticity". I almost wrote a post along those lines, an attempt to "build bridges" - because it seems to me that *everybody* in the thread is concerned with at least that basic concept, at living authentically and being authentic, especially in a spiritual sense. It seems that we all just disagree on what authenticity is. I think that in their eyes, authenticity has a lot to do with the way you view your self and its workings, and with sloughing off affectation and pride and all of the emotional characteristics that go with "egotistical" people."
I responded:
  • "And as I tried to point out, there are people who have a strict 'monastic' sense of spirituality who act concretely in the world, with real selves in real circumstances. So, pride and selfishness and ego-functioning are interpreted differently. One in the air, so to speak, another 'on the ground'. You and I prefer 'on the ground' or so it seems.

But 'on the ground' means to be involved, concretely, with the problems: a sticky and on-going and never-ending process. They might propose to reorient the human relationship at a fundamental level...through monastic abstraction...through ego-destruction..."
Laird wrote:
  • "Ego-destruction. I guess that, again, I don't see the point of that except in the context of submission to a Higher Power. Which they technically don't believe in, but refer to in those terms anyway (God = Totality, one does (in a sense, "submits to") the will of God/Totality). Again, I'd suggest that this framing is a subversion of true spirituality. It uses the terms of spirituality to refer to an actually insidious notion. What, in the absence of a divinity, is the argument against pride/cherishing? Why would one strive to eliminate them (if they simply existed in moderation)? I don't see a cogent argument on GF. It's a very dubious one, along the lines of "every emotion has an opposite, and therefore to have a positive emotion is to bring to life its corresponding negative emotion".
I further respond to an earlier point:
  • Laird had written: "I see glimpses of their "internal truth" in Diebert's admiration for aspects of Saint John's approach (his ascetism in particular), but it is as you imply the failure to appreciate the role of love (and especially of divinity) that makes their approach in that regard ... well, incomplete and even unfounded, I would suggest. Why deny yourself when there is no higher purpose in doing so? If life is but a blind (naturally-selected) evolution of matter, and it is all at root "empty and meaningless", then why deny yourself anything? Why not "live it up"? What is the point in ascetism in a universe without a God and hence a higher purpose for which one might meaningfully deny oneself?

I would answer: "I would imagine that Diebert would answer with a Nietzschean answer: we are here, alone, inventing it all as we go along. The uber-mench is the man who knows this and so makes his own spirituality. They choose egolessness and all that derives from it. It is not imposed on them from without. It is a stronger position to self-impose than to see it or have it as imposed (by something outside)."
Ni ange, ni bête
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

You two run the possibility of being 'fiercely independent'.
as self-sufficient beings who do not need the help of any other.
You'll fight tooth and claw.
Massive 'Care'.

What if you are actually, in this form, finite and dependent?

'spitting the dummy' wouldn't mean much.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Hello Laird, guest of logic, thanks for reading and pondering this all.

It starts to look like an uphill battle already if you set up the conversation in advance with "I side with Alex" and "Diebert's view seems divorced from reality". Although it's on one hand welcome to know your starting place, I'd prefer people to side with no one and remain conservative instead of implying it's already clear what reality is and isn't in this discussion. Since that ends up being exactly the topic. But that's just as a side remark, to let you know that I wonder if you step into this with the right intention to begin with.

As for your Vietnamese analogy, you seem to be mixing two conversations together there and make it look bizarre not because of the contrast (what you might think) but because you set up a bizarre environment where people talk about different things with different purposes.

To the Vietnamese countryman I might reply in this conversations, if I'd enter it at all, that he might not have enough understanding of the communist involvement and military campaigns or their mass murder of land owners. Or someone else might chime in that the "evil empire" of the Soviets needed to be stopped against any price. It's a political discussion with many details and nuances, lots of history and parties involved not many are really aware of. And who knows all the facets anyway? The "what ifs"?

Your other example makes me ask "what's more important" and so on. Something is only important in the right context. If your house has caught fire, the important thing is to put out the fire or get out. Not doing philosophy, completely understanding the cause of the fire or get "clear view" by introspection. Something else kicks in.

All in all, I don't really get your point. If there is a connection between all the subjects then it's one of development of the individual, the develop conscience and a kind of intelligence, to act with reason in whatever situation one might find himself into: a jungle, a burning house, some international corporation, a science laboratory or a government panel.

It might be clear that the root is our perception of our selves and all the emotions and attachments which are in play. We can talk about smoke the whole day but why not discuss fire instead? Does someone who is suffocating because of smoke has any need for knowing about fires? No. That's why some people in my opinion have no business with the topic I want to discuss simply because they sound like being in a state of suffocation, or trauma, of frozen attitudes. For those people other paths might be available to clear things up for themselves, to get out of the screens of smoke. Perhaps it's even simply a matter of the right medication. But I won't bother them too much with philosophy as it can only annoy or confuse them. It must sound like arcane irrelevant bullshit all the time or "their smokescreens". But such conversation goes nowhere but downhill. And no, it's not a "fact" who is the victim, the traumatized one. When such accusations become tit for tat, it's time to stop.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Laird...I think your analysis is truthful & insightful. Pay no attension to those that put their ego before the truth.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

putting that eye there is ego shit.
do you think we're stoopid.