How to Build a Stronger Ego - Steve Pavlina

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: How to Build a Stronger Ego - Steve Pavlina

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Talking Ass wrote: Again, the ego is, say, harnessed and directed but not annihilated. Instead of the 'ego' being a self-willed entity (the idea of rebellion is pretty acute in the West, obviously), the ego is brought into service. It seems a pretty dominant question and issue for Westerners.
The ego manifests in the harnessing and directing. But when it's said "the ego is brought into service", the question is whose service.
caritas: unexpected and usually undeserved good fortune) seems to be a cornerstone of Catholic philosophy.
As it is also a cornerstone of Islamic philosophy (zakat,sadaqah) and the first of the six perfections in Buddhism (dana paramita), the first stage of Bodhisattva-path and the first topic in Buddha's gradual discourse. Both non-Western religions have also countless charities. To me it seems you are lacking a bit in knowledge here my friend.
His Bhagavad-Gita translation-interpretation sums it up: yoga as a science of reversal of incarnation. A deliberate, thought-out process of beginning to disappear from this plane of existence. But all the yoga schools that I am aware of all seem predicated on one basic idea: life is an illusory experience, is suffering, and can be brought to an end by 'reabsorption'.
While I do not think you have interpreted this all correctly, it doesn't matter that much because as I already wrote, there might be a lot of nihilism present in nearly everything being interpreted in this particular era.

1. A notion of "self" enables one to conquer the mountain on a bike, even winning the race, overcoming suffering with endurance.
2. The clinging to "self" spirals into deception and suffering for all those close around; a suffering rippling outwards.

It's really important for anyone interested to understand this subtle difference and apply it. You are worried about #1 but the philosophy you're criticizing was devised to address #2 and sometimes even helping with #1.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Diebert wrote:As it is also a cornerstone of Islamic philosophy (zakat, sadaqah) and the first of the six perfections in Buddhism (dana paramita), the first stage of Bodhisattva-path and the first topic in Buddha's gradual discourse. Both non-Western religions have also countless charities. To me it seems you are lacking a bit in knowledge here my friend.
You must keep in mind that all my writing is directed to this forum, and a great deal of what I write is, if you will, a response or an answer to the essential formations that have been concretized here. I am, shall we say, enough aware that service-caritas in Buddhism are central to those traditions. I grew up on the periphery of a Zen community in California. I have seen very decent people doing very decent things. But again, I am speaking to the GF formulations, to Quinnism, to this extremely flukey and off-the-wall interpretation-reinterpretation of religious and philosophical doctrines. And what that means too is that I am NOT speaking to you, or answering you. Or, you are on the periphery of my basic focus.

I suggest to you that concepts and praxis of service-caritas are virtually absent, in almost any form, in the formulations of our GF philosophers. And this omission is part of the core error in these philosophies! In fact I believe I have located the core philosophical error that drives this group of errors and I may, as part of my over-all Mission and for the benefit of all sentient beings soon expound upon this---but in a separate thread.

Now, with all this as you know I assert with great power and force and a wonderful, captivating charm and zest that the Quinnist path as it is defined in his tracts is a terrible misconstrual, a tragic misconstrual, and I am aware (even if you are not) that the moths that are attracted to this lamp and which flutter about here stuck in their feed-back loops, are octaval responses to the core expressed doctrines of Q-R-S. You should always keep this in mind though I know that this is not your concern. The only reason, or the main reason, I appear here is to refute, challenge, overturn, add onto, modify, restate, re-blend, refashion: rewrite. I entered onto a project of REWRITING the QRS doctrines and I do this out of a sense of service. The basic energy, if you will, of this philosophical project is 'sound' but the platform that it established and upon which it is constructed is not sound. Everything I do is part of an effort to reconstitute the basic philosophy that is spelled out here. You continually place yourself, with your very different understanding and position, between me an my 'adversaries': adversaries being a distortion of certain philosophical and religious principals and distortion that arises from a tightly-knit group of causes and predicates.

Yet at the same time---and Steve Pavlina seems keyed-into this issue---in a general sense we of the West tend to make some tragical errors as we come in contact with the doctrines of the East. He appears to be involved in a rebalancing, a restoration, a reinterpretation, which is also a platform and a redefinition of value. I am also speaking to 'him' and to this post-Sixties (if it can be located there) phenomenon of becoming captured by foreign installations for murky purposes and with murky results. If you wish to defend whatever you have done with these ideas and practices I would very much like to hear about it. Intellectually, I find you generally speaking on the ball. I know more about your approach and your intentions philosophically (in the post-modern era, as you have written about) and I appreciate it. I also appreciate it that you appear here and elicit conversation.
1. A notion of "self" enables one to conquer the mountain on a bike, even winning the race, overcoming suffering with endurance.
2. The clinging to "self" spirals into deception and suffering for all those close around; a suffering rippling outwards.
I am certainly in agreement with this. Note that the activity of the first citation represents a concrete 'doing', an achieving. To act and to do requires a defined sense of values. I am very interested in the question of definition of values and as should be obvious I am often *speaking* to those who are applying an 'acid' to themselves, themselves within their own traditions, and those traditions themselves. Remember: as an Avatar I represent the Book and the Occidental Classical Traditions! That's my shtick!

And I most certainly agree with the second citation and since I am presently, but not exclusively, speaking in defense of Catholic traditions within the Occidental system, I will say that the cure for this 'problem' of self-deception that produces 'suffering for all around' is almost exactly what is proposed by the term caritas. This is precisely and exactly the core, the very core, of the question.

I will also say that it is in and around exactly this that the fundamental error of the QRS System occurs and why one notices here, time and time again, wounded, incomplete, jabbering, obsessed and narcissistic individuals who are drawn to the QRS lamp and who demonstrate with their every utterance just how lopsided they are and is the nourishment they take in! And I will also say it once again: it is downing these poisons and suffering their ill-effects as it seeps into one and paralyses one from which one will later have to recover. That is how erroneous paths that operate against certain basic human truths always seem to function! Many people here are in processes of deep recovery and healing. We have all drunk a great deal of poison but are unconscious of it.
fiat mihi
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I will also say that it is in and around exactly this that the fundamental error of the QRS System occurs and why one notices here, time and time again, wounded, incomplete, jabbering, obsessed and narcissistic individuals who are drawn to the QRS lamp and who demonstrate with their every utterance just how lopsided they are and is the nourishment they take in! And I will also say it once again: it is downing these poisons and suffering their ill-effects as it seeps into one and paralyses one from which one will later have to recover. That is how erroneous paths that operate against certain basic human truths always seem to function! Many people here are in processes of deep recovery and healing. We have all drunk a great deal of poison but are unconscious of it.
Yeah,
we get it!

1 post x 4,000 times.
feedback loop.

What if the world were the sort of place where everything is connected to everything else and cutting it up left you with something that was not true to the world?
What if the world were like a cardigan knitted with one length of wool rather than like a patchwork of pieces stitched together? Cutting a piece out of the cardigan to examine it will only leave an unravelling mess of broken threads.

what is the propensity to divide the world of our experience into subjects and objects; into observers and things observed. This dissection assumes something about the world before the cutting begins: it assumes the world can be chopped into pieces and the bits remain true to what they were before.

How's that for a feedback loop?
A Context for generating awe?
An understanding and a mood ?
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Dennis wrote:What if the world were the sort of place where everything is connected to everything else and cutting it up left you with something that was not true to the world? What if the world were like a cardigan knitted with one length of wool rather than like a patchwork of pieces stitched together? Cutting a piece out of the cardigan to examine it will only leave an unravelling mess of broken threads.

What is the propensity to divide the world of our experience into subjects and objects; into observers and things observed. This dissection assumes something about the world before the cutting begins: it assumes the world can be chopped into pieces and the bits remain true to what they were before.
Dennis! Hurrah! There is actually some genuine thought here! Oh boy, the log jam which I thought was hopeless has loosened. I for one feel a spring in my step seeing how you are 'enrolling' yourself in these considerations. And YES! A grand Nietzschean YES! to the world's interconnection! Yes! Yes! Yes! I completely agree: it is in the continued connection of things where we are working.

But hold the phone, folks. This is all very fine and good. But what about those strange acids? Not the one that someone might take to have a vision of rainbows and heaven knows what, but the acids of destruction? We wouldn't want to toss such an acid on either a patch or on the the whole cardigan. There is something to be considered, cared for: appreciated. We may now modify the mantra of Empty & Meaningless ad infinitum.

And yes again to a reaction (based in something valued) to that cartesian divisiveness, the obsession with categorization. And yet, and yet, we recognize that that style of mind also has a place, an important place. Yes! We can in our meditation stop doing any particular thing, all things, and just allow. But in doing so there is no good reason why we must, necessarily, demolish the other modality.
Last edited by Talking Ass on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
fiat mihi
Diebert van Rhijn

Talking Ass wrote:I suggest to you that concepts and praxis of service-caritas are virtually absent, in almost any form, in the formulations of our GF philosophers.
Everyone is kind enough to listen to you though! And some people are looking after and paying to maintain this forum and rarely ban even the more crazy or less motivated. It's another type of service, perhaps you feel the need of having to repay? I believe your patient silent audience to be kindness of a kind not yet presented to your mind in full. There's a humble simple spirit needed to recognize it.
You must be aware this always have to include yourself but why not speak of it that way? It's obvious you as well are recovering and healing from a poison you tried to locate as a collection of past experiences with a spiritualist cult, with spirit women, with spirit life. And you are one of the wounded, incomplete, jabbering, quite obsessing and remarkably narcissistic individuals drawn to something here (not the QRS lamp exactly but for now the description might do) and you are demonstrating without doubt even in your mildest peace making posts an almost absurd lopsidedness. But as you notice, your audience might be in the same life boat. In that sense your posts and critiques are bordering on being meaningless but nevertheless contain value in perhaps some other way.
Diebert van Rhijn

Talking Ass wrote:Dennis! Hurrah! There is actually some genuine thought here!
He's has been talking about that since post one. Perhaps he has finally tuned into your particular code and operating system level (BASIC). It's good to see you open for understanding that things are understood. Feedback can work!
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

I struggled, Diebert, I really did. But this is all I can come up with!
fiat mihi
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

The Talking Ass is actually beginning to reveal hisself in his St Basil the Great potency. There is no need to start in drinking: just keep reading his posts which---I know it is amazing and we don't know how it works! but it does!---are filled with caritas and secret upwelling a of deep and rich Healing Force. You-all can also direct your prayer petitions to me via PM or, if you are brave, just reveal them here. Talking Ass unites all knots!
fiat mihi
Diebert van Rhijn

• ...resisting the nature of what's going on...
The most common mistake in how Buddhism is interpreted last centuries, certainly by Kunga and her teacher, is the tempting idea that one now has to "go with the flow", to surrender to circumstances, to embrace the prison life is becoming (while resistance and urge for change keeps returning). But by practicing "laying low", falsely seen as "surrendering ego", all kinds of coping mechanisms are needed to suppress .... how life moves!

Sometimes life kicks up a revolution. Suppress it at your own peril and the peril of those you profess to "love".
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

You brought up previously, in rather classical Diebertian reactive style I should say, references to things that perhaps you can clarify and expand on. I don't at all mind being the focus of a reverse-analysis and yet I do think you should fill out a little more what you mean.

For example you seem to agree that 'we are all healing', or that 'healing' is possible, and in that you seem to assent to at least some aspect of my assessments. But can you please speak a little more about this 'spiritualist cult', and 'spiritualist women' and 'spirit life'? Do you mean by 'spiritualist cult' the forum I participated in where Castaneda was deconstructed, critiqued? But who were the 'spiritualist women' and what is 'spirit life'? (Or had you too been dipping in your cups?) ;-)

Can you take a few minutes to describe my 'lopsidedness'? And do you refer to Talking Ass, Alex Jacob, or to me? Each are distinct.
fiat mihi
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Spirit,
the region of all regions.

that which regions.

Dasein, projected toward-things, world eater, not in the neighbourhood.

Dasein, called to spirit,
waiting, open.
a listening.

Dasein,
regioned in spirit,
attuned,
Gladsome, which suggests light, lightness of Being.

Thoughts come to us,
regioning,
the 'where it's at' a thought thoughts.
thoughts thoughting disclose a neighbourhood.

think and thank derive from the same root.

spirit shows up in the narrative.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Dennis, I have a strong sense that you need some help in a very specific area: communication, essentially, through the medium of appallingly BAD poetry. You could become aware, though it could take another 62 long years, that bad poetry is a weak substitute for honest, straightforward communication. If indeed you are interested in communicating your ideas you may want to consider some of the following. I will make an effort to bring additional material to your attention as I can.

According to the critic Coleridge, prose is 'words in their best order,' while poetry is 'the best words in their best order'.

Poetry demands precision. The novelist can get away with less than precise expression from time to time because the story will pull the reader along. The job of the poet is to create a picture in the mind and an emotion in the heart. Every single word counts. The wrong choice–--a word with the wrong connotation or the wrong number of syllables or an unlovely combination of consonant sounds–--spoils all.

The underlying thought of the poem is also important. Some poems are written to create a picture only, but the most memorable poems also convey a universal truth about the human condition. For me, a 'good' poem leaves me with goosebumps along my arms. I think a poem is 'bad' when it lacks a discernible point and sounds like prose.

People are led to write a poem because they have been strongly moved by some event. They’ve experienced a strong emotion, received an insight, and wish to capture the experience in words. Only a few, however, succeed in turning the experience into a poem that will be meaningful to another person.

On his site dedicated to examples of bad poetry, Prof. Seamus Cooney observes that most bad poetry is 'simply weak and ineffectual and lacking in interest.'

He says that memorably bad poetry is created by 'a poet unaware of his or her defects.' He says that a really dreadful poem is the product of 'the right combination of lofty ambition, humorless self-confidence, and crass incompetence….' He collects examples of bad poems as a teaching device:
  • "For the student, having a genuine insight into the true badness of some poems is, I think, a necessary corollary of having a grasp of what makes good poems good."
A definition: doggerel.
Dennis devised an infliction and then wrote:Thoughts come to us,
regioning,
the "where it's at" a thought thoughts.
'The right combination of lofty ambition, humorless self-confidence, and crass incompetence'---Ouch!
fiat mihi
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

is that your best shot?

form is empty.

rainbow.
Liberty Sea

Post by Liberty Sea »

Dennis is using Heideggerian terminology. Of course it is obscure for those who are unacquainted with Heidegger.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

This is a Heideggarian summation therefor?
  • Thoughts come to us,
    regioning,
    the "where it's at" a thought thoughts.
Who would have guessed! Can you convert it into a clear, concise prose statement? Does Heideggar convert?
fiat mihi
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

We waste a lot of time talking about nothing, I couldn't imagine any of you disagreeing, any ideas on a solution or better use of our mindtime?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Does Heideggar convert?
try Heidegger.

conversion.

chasing poems in order to get goose bumps.

hahaha
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

It is an interesting question, John. Do you know why those of us who seem so opposed to each other are so opposed? Have you considered the issue of irreconcilability? To deal handsomely with irreconcilability one needs 1) weapons or 2) a great sense of humor! Talking Ass has both.
fiat mihi
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

The 'in order to' of the QRS project is to breakthru' into formlessness.
there is a logically coherent structure 'formed' to facilitate that which is also broken thru'.

You Alex, as a way of being, wherever you go seek to 'wreck the narrative', 'control the narrative'.

You think this is 'courageous thinking'.

A rooster crows and flaps it's wings.

it's empty and meaningless that it's empty and meaningless.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

I dedicate this one to Alex Jacob, unenlightened loser, crowing cock
while I simultaneously wonder when they'll put his head on the block:
Baiting poor mothers with pennies for sex
sharp-eyed eagle on the steeple pretext

Formless dasein its insane he don't geddit
spoon by murky spoonful he gives us no credit

Hiding the cash with legerdemain
and lookat him now toss down his chump-change

Alex the farce of the GF Realm
such patient blokes at this forum's helm...
fiat mihi
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Well I'm not really sure what your opposing view is? I still don't think this is the way to go about it, it would do well to have open discussion and questions that get simple answers... the way socrates and others used to come to conclusions using what the other person agrees on, I find that more interesting/progressive. Although I'd still prefer we formed a collective to do whatever awesome stuff comes to mind
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

I don't consider 'enlightenment' a valid category. Formlessness, emptiness, and other such doggerel terms appear to me in their effects destructive. I believe in human knowledge. I believe in conscious federations of intelligent beings who act in the world(s). I don't believe in dissolution of the self but fortification of the self. I believe that the Ass is the most neglected, abused and misunderstood creature in God's creation (though you must admit the Cuttlefish is often tremendously misinterpreted). While I am opposed to men worshipping animals and other forms of idolatry I think I should get a little more respect around here and even some financial consideration. I want someone to help me set up a YouTube channel to carry my healing mission to the world. I want a chance to demonstrate my karaoke talent in the bar/pub of your choice. I want to build an even stronger ego. I want a Tahitian hottie for as a sex-kitten. I will join your Power-Group if some or all of these conditions can be met.
fiat mihi
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

That's because you aren't enlightened, nobody considers enlightenment a valid category until it is understood, that is for the single reason that it goes against almost all of your worldly knowledge, and more unfortunately, it goes directly against self-clinging and the idea that your particular form is your true self and the source of your consciousness.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

More accurately: it goes against my spiritual knowledge but that is an inconsiderable category for you!

In any case: irreconcilability. Now what?
fiat mihi
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

more ass no class most likely.

asinine
Foolish, stupid, unintelligent; obstinate.
Latin “asinus”=an ass + “inus”=suffix meaning “of the nature of”: Lit. like an ass.