Women, Freedom, Entrapment, Strategy

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Alex T. Jacob

Re: Women, Freedom, Entrapment, Strategy

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

The realpolitik of power-relations. It is a good place to start for any level of analysis. If one fails to trace back to the basic, fundamental truth(s), one's discourse spins out lopsided, or spins off into realms of abstraction.

I would add to the above one other core and essential fact: women as 'dependent species' who cannot survive independently of men. Her role is as a dependent entity and it seems that this fact would be and should be the core predicate of her understanding of herself and her relations with men.

Curiously we have in the post-Sixties era especially seen concerted efforts to avoid the whole issue; or reactions against these fundamental truths: when feminist analysis saw and labeled the basic truths (through a Marxian lens), many women recoiled against the horror of those straight facts but failed to identify their first and primordial enemy: the biological system that produced them, i.e. Mother Nature, the cruelest of all mothers. And so there was great confusion: run to Nature for self-definition? Which is to say to the female role? And live it, embody it? Define it, own it, make it the basic, 'empowering' discourse? Or deny it all. Locate and label men as the enemy, the captor, the controller. So many of the discourses borne of this 'pathology of reaction' (in processes of self-awareness) are tinged with the pain of seeing accurately into 'reality', and at the same time so much of that discourse is 'reaction'.

The encapsulation offered by Pye reads as the final chapter in a long, long essay. A movement within late 20th century cultural philosophy, politics, a whole sweep of realization, reaction, counter-formulation ... that can be said to wind up in a closed loop, a blind alley, a no-place, the end of the line (no beginning).

I note the following: GF philosophy represents and defines (upholds) a divorce from the core and very fundamental biological-existential facts. They see it all, they see what it is and where it leads, and they opt out. But this is totally artificial, is reactive, and in any case can never endure. It is a temporary philosophical maneuver for men stung by 'the horror' of their insight.

Similarly, women stung by the horror of their insight have gone into whole chains of reaction. To attempt to define a 'life' apart from men; lesbianism in all its ramifications and mutations; women's communes, or celibacy; politics to achieve a status within culture through recourse to the State. (If you wanted to have a sense of the extreme points to which women have gone, and can go in these areas see: 'Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire'. Lifetimes spent in the pursuit of alternatives to the shocking and terrible truths of biologically-based life. And it all ends up in a dead-end road).

All these cultural alternatives in their desperation, their absurdity, their surrealism, their escapism, their folly, their pain, their awareness of the horror of it all, will instantaneously fall away if the supporting, artificial cultural system would happen to be disrupted. Social chaos, crop failure or something along those lines. These possibilities exist only in a contrived social and cultural circumstance. One has to have the freedom to pursue such extremities of possibility. In a very essential sense, then, it is this cultural and social possibility that men's efforts create, and woman comes along for the ride as a dependent. But the core power: defining power and power to construct arises within man. Man holds that power and all depends on what he does with it.
I would modify this somewhat and say that man is a creature who has been forced by circumstances to have to use his physical power and his wits (metis which is a predator's polished skill and all those possibilities) to determine his place in the reproductive loop. This is the core fact, the core truth, the core reality. Everything that is Man arises from this basic condition and, I think, resolves back to it.
Last edited by Alex T. Jacob on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
I can't go on. I'll go on.
Pye

Post by Pye »

skipair, it is useful to remember the difference between factual equality and moral equality here. Moral equality is an idea (as legitimate to work on as any); factual equality is an impossibility. Whereas your complaint about the political incorrectness of citing difference is duly noted, difference is now what drives the idea of moral equality - because-of it.

It's an idea, that we have equal rights to things, should have equal access to them, etc., regardless of our factual constitution. But as idea, it's no less useful in serving the flesh . . . .
skipair writes: That's very interesting and probably explains jealousy and male competition.
Not to mention willingness to weed each other out in war, abundant and redundant as the male breeding impulse is.
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

Skipair wrote: For my part, the 'control' mentioned has nothing to do with her fidelity and all to do with how she treats me. All women misbehave in relationships, and if suggesting or even commanding better behavior doesn't work, then a real guy will say goodbye.
It happened that some of the things you wrote some years ago had an effect on my thinking. Especially those ideas having to do with the truth that cannot be stated, which all women know, and the treatment by women when they discover that a given man has seen the truth, understands its ramifications, etc. It helped me to focus on the main area of my interest: power-relations as substantial facts and idea-systems based on ideal morality that interweave with those facts-of-power.

I have women friends who, without exactly understanding why or what happened, have with their sixth sense understood that *something* shifted in my outlook. I am thinking of a particular woman I know whose husband is also a friend of mine and we all have spent time socially. Strangely, when I recognized the many little games my friend K. was playing, and the way she used her power to control her situation, she also noted at some level how the pieces fell into place. In very short order I became---unstated of course---persona non grata. And that feeling extends to huge swaths of the cultural landscape of America. The ramifications are very large.

I think I tend to take this discourse to a sort of 'meta' level: to expand it, to universalize it.

[I came to the conclusion that Noam Chomsky was, essentially, a disciple of Machiavelli! (I wonder what he would say about that?) It is not to hard to find a point above the world and look down at it, judge it, imagine how it might be different, but at the same time fail to grasp one's basic complicity in all these terrible earthly systems. We have a whole school of Ressentiment and all the perspectival schools of thought that arise from that 'mood'.]
Last edited by Alex T. Jacob on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Alex writes: I would add to the above one other core and essential fact: women as 'dependent species' who cannot survive independently of men. Her role is as a dependent entity and it seems that this fact would be and should be the core predicate of her understanding of herself and her relations with men.
What is a woman dependent upon a man for, Alex - to impregnate her? Yes?
The rest is the towering infrastructure of patriarchy built upon the long, dark terror of male redundancy. She doesn't need him for anything else, and this is precisely what drives the special anxiety of modernity toward women who can earn, choose sex, change partners, blow off men altogether, raise children alone, become lawmakers themselves, etc. - the special anxiety that shows up here now and again in these 'rational' explanations for control.

One doesn't need to control anything in which one places no value, has no dependency.
Who, exactly, is 'dependent' upon whom, in such a scheme?
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Well, I see after writing this that Pye has beaten me to it, and more eloquently. Here's what I had before it was made redundant:
Alex T. Jacob wrote:I would add to the above one other core and essential fact: women as 'dependent species' who cannot survive independently of men.
It's very easy to spin this the exact opposite way: without women's reproductive power, there would be no men. And what's this about survival? Women have no dependence on men in grass huts. Beyond these lie not survival but comfort. If it is as you say a male project to civilise (and I don't necessarily agree that it is), it is not one that women are dependent on for survival - any sufficiently skilled human being, man or woman, can survive in the absence of civilisation.
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

Do you notice Pye how when it comes right down to it we both recur to the most essential aspects of our discourse? Isn't that trippy? For you it is your (I think false but cherished) notion male redundancy upon which your whole discourse hangs.

Women depend on men to construct the whole world in which we live. It starts in the idea realm and translates into every facet and possibility within culture. Everything that we do and think, here now, arises within those possibilities.
Pye writes (with a discernable note of desperation?): The rest is the towering infrastructure of patriarchy built upon the long, dark terror of male redundancy. She doesn't need him for anything else, and this is precisely what drives the special anxiety of modernity toward women who can earn, choose sex, change partners, blow off men altogether, raise children alone, become lawmakers themselves, etc. - the special anxiety that shows up here now and again in these 'rational' explanations for control.
What you have written here is---evidently and obviously---false. But it is required for you to hold the views you have. Every aspect of the world we now live and operate in---name any thing or process---has been created by men. We build this world and we maintain it. Women are a 'dependent species' within that created world.

In actual point of fact (and certainly in nature) the female makes herself available to the male and the male, through his metis, competes against other men for her. She doesn't really decide anything at all. Such is her condition.

No need to 'spin it', Laird, as it is another core, universal and basic fact: men depend on women to perpetuate. None of this changes any part of my assertions.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Laird writes: . . . any sufficiently skilled human being, man or woman, can survive in the absence of civilisation.
This is the truth that anarchy would like to remind us of. Especially when we learn the power of leaderless people, fashioning things with their own two unalienated hands . . . .
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

Laird wrote: "...any sufficiently skilled human being, man or woman, can survive in the absence of civilization."
You are not thinking things through. In a circumstance of rapid or catastrophic absence of cultural systems, women might be able to survive, true. But when it happened that they were tossed right back into the naturally-determined reproductive roles, they instantly become 'dependent species'.

Note Pye's recourse to the Marxian interpretation that underpins her view-structure. ;-) These are deeply-rooted view structures that pervade our institutions. I see in them the operations of 'politically correct' thinking. To think factually and 'really' is another thing altogether. Pye desires to approach that, and does to some degree, but when the full implications must be faced, she recoils away. And I assume that you too are 'similarly invested'.
Pye

Post by Pye »

For all your complaining about certain aspects of GF, in these things, you make a perfect match. :)
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

Oh Pye you are not reading correctly! I share agreement, with about a thousand qualifications, with QRStianity's realization that man's mind carves out of chaos the worlds of possibility (though they do not state it as eloquently!), but I am opposed to those decisions they take in the face of their abhorance of 'woman'. It is an imperfect match therefor!
skipair

Post by skipair »

Alex T. Jacob wrote:I note the following: GF philosophy represents and defines (upholds) a divorce from the core and very fundamental biological-existential facts. They see it all, they see what it is and where it leads, and they opt out. But this is totally artificial, is reactive, and in any case can never endure. It is a temporary philosophical maneuver for men stung by 'the horror' of their insight.
Yes. Closing the eyes to this horrible, raw, scary, naked view of power relations, to be a non-player, except to squint slightly at the keyboard to make sure the guru frame is in tact. :)

I would modify this somewhat and say that man is a creature who has been forced by circumstances to have to use his physical power and his wits (metis which is a predator's polished skill and all those possibilities) to determine his place in the reproductive loop. This is the core fact, the core truth, the core reality. Everything that is Man arises from this basic condition and, I think, resolves back to it.
This is excellent. It's said in the Russian essay 'Treatise of Love' that perhaps the #1 determination for a mans status is that he believes that is his status, whether the evidence suggests it or not. It's all about the frame.
skipair

Post by skipair »

Pye wrote:Not to mention willingness to weed each other out in war, abundant and redundant as the male breeding impulse is.
And yet, imagine what the world would be like without it. There wouldn't be a world.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Someone who is less dependent is more independent.
And someone who is independent can have more or less dependents.
So the question is one of how dependency impacts independency, if it does at all.
Either it doesn't (independency is unrelated to dependents). Or it has a direct relation (more independency relates to more dependents), or an inverse relation (more independency relates to less dependents).
skipair

Post by skipair »

Alex T. Jacob wrote:I have women friends who, without exactly understanding why or what happened, have with their sixth sense understood that *something* shifted in my outlook.
It's strange how it's women who are intimately aware of the power plays and how it takes either a rare or maybe lower class guy to think on the same level. The idea of equality is always a power play in a 'topping from the bottom' sense', used by the side that needs to take the indirect root. A guerrilla warfare.

I am thinking of a particular woman I know whose husband is also a friend of mine and we all have spent time socially. Strangely, when I recognized the many little games my friend K. was playing, and the way she used her power to control her situation, she also noted at some level how the pieces fell into place. In very short order I became---unstated of course---persona non grata. And that feeling extends to huge swaths of the cultural landscape of America. The ramifications are very large.
Yes, if they know that you know, then all depends on whether you are 'secret society' enough to go along with whatever she wants to do to keep her emotions positive. If it's a modern woman and she's very invested with the spoils she's won from her guise, then a non-secret society man is potentially very, very dangerous. She does't want her cover blown.

[I came to the conclusion that Noam Chomsky was, essentially, a disciple of Machiavelli! (I wonder what he would say about that?) It is not to hard to find a point above the world and look down at it, judge it, imagine how it might be different, but at the same time fail to grasp one's basic complicity in all these terrible earthly systems. We have a whole school of Ressentiment and all the perspectival schools of thought that arise from that 'mood'.]
Yes. There are three kinds of people. Those who play power games and are upfront about it. Those that play power games and are sneaky about it. And those that play power games and don't know it.
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

Our beloved Swami wrote: In case you didn't notice almost all your posting has had no relation to philosophy, no contribution...
Swami, it is possible that you might want to consider getting an education. With it, you would see that everything I write stems from modern currents of philosophy. And my 'terms of discourse' are definitely not your 'terms of discourse'. You operate within one principal reductive pseudo-philosophical area. You will stay in that place until something 'causes' a change and ... you grow. Just my two cents!
Pye

Post by Pye »

skipair writes: And yet, imagine what the world would be like without it [war]. There wouldn't be a world.
goodness. :) the human hubris!
It wouldn't be this world, that's for sure . . . .
Alex wrote: She doesn't really decide anything at all. Such is her condition.
This alone would qualify you . . . .
skipair writes: Yes. There are three kinds of people. Those who play power games and are upfront about it. Those that play power games and are sneaky about it. And those that play power games and don't know it.
All this takes place in the belief in power games as uber-reducto.

The universe comes to be, to make itself, by cooperation, as well as competition. You've only got your hand wrapped around your yang . . . .
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Alex T. Jacob wrote:
Pye writes (with a discernable note of desperation?): The rest is the towering infrastructure of patriarchy built upon the long, dark terror of male redundancy. She doesn't need him for anything else, and this is precisely what drives the special anxiety of modernity toward women who can earn, choose sex, change partners, blow off men altogether, raise children alone, become lawmakers themselves, etc. - the special anxiety that shows up here now and again in these 'rational' explanations for control.
What you have written here is---evidently and obviously---false. But it is required for you to hold the views you have. Every aspect of the world we now live and operate in---name any thing or process---has been created by men. We build this world and we maintain it. Women are a 'dependent species' within that created world.
What's curious to me, and I say this with respect, is that if there's desperation at all in anything quoted above, it could equally be suggested of your own response as of Pye's comment. It is you who made the original assertion of women's mediocrity/dependence, and you who seems to have a "need" to reassert and defend it. To what end? I have to wonder why it would be important to you to assert and defend such a thing in the first place. What benefit does it offer you, me or anyone else for such an idea to be advanced?
Alex T. Jacob wrote:No need to 'spin it', Laird, as it is another core, universal and basic fact: men depend on women to perpetuate. None of this changes any part of my assertions.
But it very much changes your core assertion, women-as-dependent: accepting the opposite as equally true disempowers the thrust (if I can be forgiven the use of that phrase) of that core assertion.
Alex T. Jacob wrote:You are not thinking things through. In a circumstance of rapid or catastrophic absence of cultural systems, women might be able to survive, true. But when it happened that they were tossed right back into the naturally-determined reproductive roles, they instantly become 'dependent species'.
Again, I have to ask why you think this is so important. If it is true, it is (as you suggest) true only at the level of entire genders. No individual man could "survive" independently in modern society either, or, at least, if he could, it would not be in any sense not equally achievable by an individual woman. Sure, take pride in the achievements of your gender, but at a certain point, pride turned outward against its sister starts looking like resentment (not ressentiment), a jealous will to deny her. I offer this observation because I know how this dynamic works, having once perpetuated it more overtly and cruelly upon my own (literal) sister, who, generous soul that she is, never stopped loving me, and readily forgave me when I grew out of it.
Pye wrote:Laird writes: . . . any sufficiently skilled human being, man or woman, can survive in the absence of civilisation.

This is the truth that anarchy would like to remind us of. Especially when we learn the power of leaderless people, fashioning things with their own two unalienated hands . . . .
It's the ultimate freedom, the ultimate absence of imposition, and I wish I had no doubts but I can't help questioning its endurance.
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

Laird writes: "...and you who seems to have a "need" to reassert and defend it. To what end? I have to wonder why it would be important to you to assert and defend such a thing in the first place. What benefit does it offer you, me or anyone else for such an idea to be advanced?"
Good question. These are the core definitions that men need to become re-aware of. If the goal is to see accurately our reality, and to know our place in it, and to know what we can and cannot do/achieve, we need to attempt a group of definitions: axioms if you will. We need this understanding to move forcefully in the world.

I have spoken of 'metis', this very interesting Greek word and concept. Metis as I see it is the ability to see through subterfuge, not to be beguiled. A creature of this creation who does not have this skill, or does not have enough of it, gets consumed. There are very examples of metis-empowered creatures but the best examples are a certain class of predator: the fox, the crow, etc. This is essentially the nature of man's mind: a predatorial mind. It is very important to understand where we come from and who we are.

You ask what benefit such a platform of axioms might offer to you? Or to me? Or to anyone? The answer seems obvious, to me. As you know I am chary of speaking about you and your circumstances and you have not given me the required permission to speak openly about them, so I will refrain. But in my case the 'benefit' is in establishing self-empowerment as a primary principal and designing one's reality carefully and rationally, as I have described in some detail. The benefits are too numerous to name.
But it very much changes your core assertion, women-as-dependent: accepting the opposite as equally true disempowers the thrust (if I can be forgiven the use of that phrase) of that core assertion.
No it doesn't at all. It makes the whole issue stand out even more starkly. In any case, it is our condition.
Again, I have to ask why you think this is so important. If it is true, it is (as you suggest) true only at the level of entire genders. No individual man could "survive" independently in modern society either, or, at least, if he could, it would not be in any sense not equally achievable by an individual woman. Sure, take pride in the achievements of your gender, but at a certain point, pride turned outward against its sister starts looking like resentment (not ressentiment), a jealous will to deny her. I offer this observation because I know how this dynamic works, having once perpetuated it more overtly and cruelly upon my own (literal) sister, who, generous soul that she is, never stopped loving me, and readily forgave me when I grew out of it.
It is important to see and understand certain core facts which also means not to be confused by partial or false narratives. It all hinges upon 'self-empowerment'. Obviously, it is impossible to speak of men and women outside of the unity of male-female, but it is important to recognize the natural divisions and to construct one's understanding of reality on a real platform, not on one engineered by politically correct ideas, etc.
It's the ultimate freedom, the ultimate absence of imposition, and I wish I had no doubts but I can't help questioning its endurance.
When you 'question its endurance' what does that mean exactly?
skipair

Post by skipair »

Pye wrote:The universe comes to be, to make itself, by cooperation, as well as competition. You've only got your hand wrapped around your yang . . . .
It's competition that creates the desire for cooperation. Don't let this blind you that war is also two separate cooperating teams, to win scarce resources, create more technology, and carve the world into higher standards of living. The same is true for non-violent trade, which is still violent.

Besides, the competition between women for men is equally fierce, and both sexes are just as entrenched in illogical, redundant, yet necessary instincts - from a species-survival perspective. Whether we like it or not, attraction is not a choice, and to the degree men fight for women, women also fight for men....the best men. :)
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

We all have a base nature.
(scared little weird guy)

Use that as an excuse if you want.

It's a failure to be with a cost.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

I must have grown complacent - I no longer (if I ever did) think like a predator. I try to value directness over trickery, although admittedly there are exceptions, such as returning to this forum under a new name.

So, basically, you identify the potential of your personal self-empowerment by contrasting the capacity of your own gender against that of the other? Doesn't that seem a bit... dependent? I'm only half serious, but I will say this: I have no argument with self-empowerment and independence, I'm just wary of linking them with a diminished view of women, particularly because I don't share that view, but even granting it, a man can be self-empowered and independent with respect to (other) self-empowered and independent men just as much as he can with respect to (putatively) dependent women; the state of dependency of his fellows then is irrelevant, and, given that, to then emphasise the supposed mediocrity/dependence of women seems... is "uncharitable" the word I'm looking for? That's perhaps the most "charitable" way I can phrase it. (Pardon the run-on sentence).

Anyhow, I understand and don't want to take away from the power of a frame (to use Skip's terminology) of, "I am man, hear me ... fucking well MAKE a tiger. Because that's what men can DO". (Pardon the expletive but I couldn't get it to work any other way). To lay it bare like that does reveal its boyishness though, and perhaps this relates (at least tangentially) to Pye's critique: this urge we men have to differentiate ourselves through material achievement might be seen as a need to prove our creative potency in the face of the (reproductive) creative potency of women. Not an original idea by any means.
Alex T. Jacob wrote:When you 'question its endurance' what does that mean exactly?
There's a paradox: how do you prevent the arising of an imposing force in the absence of one?
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Alex T. Jacob wrote:It is important to see and understand certain core facts which also means not to be confused by partial or false narratives. It all hinges upon 'self-empowerment'. Obviously, it is impossible to speak of men and women outside of the unity of male-female, but it is important to recognize the natural divisions and to construct one's understanding of reality on a real platform, not on one engineered by politically correct ideas, etc.
So to use the "types" terminology. The Mother-prostitute relation with a woman is disempowering, as is rejecting woman altogether - or willing them to become something else (if this is representative of GF's prescription). Therefore man (and maybe society) must seek a Prostitute-mother relation with women.
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

Laird wrote: I must have grown complacent - I no longer (if I ever did) think like a predator. I try to value directness over trickery, although admittedly there are exceptions, such as returning to this forum under a new name.
I mentioned two titles: 'Trickster Makes This World' by Lewis Hyde (readily available), and 'Cunning Intelligence in Greek Culture and Society' by M. Detienne and J.P. Vernant (rare and hard to find). In order to understand what is meant by the word μῆτις (metis) you'd have to be willing to look into how the notion fits in with our life generally, our intellect specifically, and derives directly from our evolutionary history. But you don't do much reading, I understand.

One issue you likely have is with the word 'predator' itself. An animal that tracks and feeds off another species. But this is not really what I am getting at. I am speaking about a quality of consciousness that is necessary within the realm we live in. But let me say it another way: When we lose it, and when it is stigmatized negatively, we (as men) become neutered. Now, I know you well enough to know that you will mount every defense possible against the 'facts' of the ideas I am putting forward, so have at it! So too will Dennis and possibly also Pye. And this illustrates my point, really. It is the way of popular culture to train people away from the skills of μῆτις.

From 'Cunning Intelligence in Greek Culture and Society'.
  • "In the first place, the intelligent ability referred to as μῆτις comes into play on widely varying levels but in all of them the emphasis is always laid on practical effectiveness, on the pursuit of success in a particular sphere of activity; it may involve multiple skills useful in life, the mastery of the artisan in his craft, magic tricks, the use of philters and herbs, the cunning strategems of war, frauds, deceits, resourcefulness of every kind. Secondly the term μῆτις is associated with a whole series of words which together make up quite a wide, well-defined and coherent semantic field."

Some examples:

Dolos: Dolos (sometimes pronounced "Dolus") is the spirit of trickery and guile. He is also a master at cunning deception, craftiness, and treachery.
    Mechane: A mechane (pron.: /ˈmɛkəniː/; Greek: μηχανή, mēkhanē) or machine was a crane used in Greek theatre, especially in the 5th and 4th centuries BC. Mechanism, device.
    Techne: Techne is a Greek term that is often translated as craftsmanship, craft, or art. It is etymologically derived from the Greek word τέχνη
    Kerdos: Gain, advantage, profit.
    Apate: In Greek mythology, Apate was the personification of deceit and was one of the evil spirits released from Pandora's box.
    Aiolos: Means "quick-moving, nimble" in Greek.
    Poikilos: Of various colours, variegated.

A fox hunting.

An Angler Fish.

"The man of μῆτις is always ready to pounce. He acts faster than lightning. This is not to say that he gives way to a sudden impulse, as do most Hoermic heroes. On the contrary his μῆτις knows how to wait patiently for the calculated moment to arrive. Even when it originates from a sudden burst of action, the operation of μῆτις is diametrically opposed to that of impulsiveness. μῆτις is swift, as prompt as the opportunity that it must seize on the wing, not allowing it to pass. But in no way does it act lightly. With all the wight of acquired experience that it carries, it involves thought that is dense, rich and compressed. Instead of floating hither and thither, at the whim of circumstances, it anchors the mind securely in the projects which it has devised in advance thanks to its ability to look beyond the immediate present and foresee a more or less wide slice of the future."
Last edited by Alex T. Jacob on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"With it, you would see that everything I write stems from modern currents of philosophy."

Thread: "I am manipulating and lying for sex"

Modern Philosophy 101
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

So, how do you reconcile this notion of metis with the notion of honour? If you're advocating masculine ideals, isn't honour to be valued over trickery? (Why mount a defence when there's an opportunity to attack, right? But really, this is a defence too, because I would defend directness against deception on the basis of honour)