Not having a purpose is insanity

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dennis Mahar

Re: Not having a purpose is insanity

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I care for some puppies.
Their meaning seems to be food and cuddles and guarding territory.

For many people, their meaning seems to be food and cuddles and guarding territory.
They have another dimension that puppies don't have,
'looking good'.
looking good in order to get food and cuddles.
I never saw a puppy going to a beauty salon unless a human being took a puppy to a beauty salon for puppies.
I never saw a puppy shopping at Harrod's for a designer outfit.

The existential meaning for most people is to 'look good' in order to get food and cuddles.
Agree?

'looking good' shows up differently in different cultures.
'looking good' is a consensual agreement that has meaning in the culture where it has meaning.
'looking good' also involves holding the opinions of that culture as one's meaning.

'looking good' is fitting into a herd.

agree?
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

You can be a sheep or a Shepard.
The sages made their words "look good" didn't they?
Looking good is necessary to be listened to, obviously I don't mean physical appearance but the appearance of the message, and making that message valued.
They were leading, trying to end the herd "self" me me imitate mentality by helping people to realization.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Plato's Cave allegory means,

sometimes, causality yanks a herdie out of the herd.
an abrupt surprise.

'looking good' is no longer an option.

the ontological domain of human being which is called 'meaning maker' is accessed.
or philosophy.
or the ability to generate abstracts.

that's where you are at John.

bear in mind the culture is quite useful,
Heidegger calls it 'the one'.
fitting into 'the one'.
everybody stops their car at red traffic lights and moves ahead at green traffic lights.
to be otherwise would be disastrous.

Your particular philosophical abstract John has something to do with a possibility of relationship for human beings that smooths out the rough edges of suffering.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

After all this, I'm still going to find mundane conversation/situations boring as shit Dennis, for as long as I know I could be better spending my time. Where is the solution for that? I'm talking actual solutions, not philosophical ones, they aren't going to make Channel 9 news any more bearable.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

A journey is often recommended.
Getting out of the comfort zone.

One could go to a town bordering the desert and contract an aboriginal tracker to take one in to the desert to experience catching one's own food.
don't go alone, you don't know where the waterholes are but there might be reliable maps.
leave the cuddle machine and the bong back home.

A journey thru' India doesn't cost much. after airfares, 5 grand buys a lot of time there.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

You talking about my girlfriend? Definitely the biggest thing holding me back as it's the only attachment I have agreed to and is very distracting, some things are necessary tho, and I'm going on a trip to Fiji soon and then afterward we are going to try and rent a place there. You assume I'm exactly like everyone else... I is, but also isn't, after all my contemplation I'm starting to think complete extinction of attachment to "this world" sense experience is the only way, I feel it as if it's a possible thing when I stare deeply and understand.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

Death. Is the only purity.
unbound
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Only if you are ready for it