Is God pro-family?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Gremln

Is God pro-family?

Post by Gremln »

A lot of conservatives say that the God of the Bible is pro-family but I have read the bible and found evidence to the contrary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Binding_Of_Isaac

The Binding of Isaac is an event that happens in the Old Testament. In that story, Abraham is told by God to kill his son Isaac. Abraham almost kills a member of his own family but then God comes and tells Abraham that he doesn't have to kill Isaac anymore.

Christianity, Islam and Judaism are called "Abrahamic faiths" because members of all three faiths look at a man who placed his love of God above his relationship with his son and see a nobleman.

This message is repeated in the New Testament.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it."
-Matthew 10:19-39

Jesus clearly knew that his belief system would turn family members against one another - and he didn't care. Jesus is a man who is worshiped by Christians and respected by many Muslims and Jews.

Today there are a lot of youths who have been kicked out of their families for being atheists. There are so many of these youths that there is an entire subReddit dedicated to finding new homes for these youths.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheisthavens

CONCLUSION: The god of the Bible is not pro-family. He has always tried to break up any family where people value each other more than him.
Dennis Mahar

Re: Is God pro-family?

Post by Dennis Mahar »

That's why he's called a jealous God.

Jesus was actually in the business of 'saving' God.
God's front man or PR expert.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Gremln wrote: The god of the Bible is not pro-family. He has always tried to break up any family where people value each other more than him.
And you call that a bad thing? You god is Wife and Kids, a whole step down from the old God. You're no atheist at all, you're a wife swapper!
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

So?