New blog site: Genius Realms

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

New blog site: Genius Realms

Post by David Quinn »

Hi all,

My new blog site, called Genius Realms, is finally up and running. Three articles have been posted so far - Expanding the Limits of Genius, Believing in Death, and Mastering Perspective - and a fourth will be posted soon.

I have plenty of things to write about, so there will probably be a steady flow of articles in the coming months and years. If you want to follow the blog, you can subscribe via RSS or email. You can also leave comments if you wish, but you will have to sign on to be able to do that.

If you have any suggestions for improving the site, please let me know.

David
Jamesh

Re: New blog site: Genius Realms

Post by Jamesh »

For once I've nothing to say.

The 3 articles to date are very well written, the right length for web readers and should be of interest to anyone who stumbles across the blog.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

A new blog has been posted: The Race That Chooses Confusion.

-
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

The best blog on the internet! :-)
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Another blog: Spirituality and Income.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Another blog: The Last Man.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I think this article based site is a good idea. Blogs are good for addressing a particular focus of thought as a comprehensive whole all in one shot.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

David Quinn

I read expanding the limits of genius.

Wisdom is seeing the truth clearly- looking through the dust.

"We like to laugh at the religious fundamentalists who, in their crude misunderstanding of evolutionary theory, often make absurd comments such as, “How can something as complex as the wing of a bird or the human eye be thrown together by chance!” Trapped within the fog of their own wishful thinking, they do not want to see that evolution is all about incremental steps occuring over prodigious amounts of time, and that when changes do occur they are built upon the legacy of past changes."

There is only consciousness, only feeling, there is no corresponding physical universe. Only sensual experience. The key is in realizing that the universe exists only in sensory perception, then you will see clearly the need for a manifestor of sensual experience: tao, mother nature, god etc.

This might seem a bit too simple, but all truths are. You are the eyes that gaze into the creations of consciousness, you have no hand in forming them, no control. Eventually you will recognize the illusion and understand it thoroughly, you will see how little you know, that scientific concepts like evolution exist only because fools think that examining the details of our sensual experiences has any relevance to the bigger picture(the cause of our sensual experiences, which is not matter ( our perception of matter is a result of the cause of sensual experience, tao, unknown higher that we are part of)

Philosophy trumps science every single time.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

You are contradicting yourself. If, as you say, the sensory world is an illusion, then why are you arguing against science and evolution (in favour of an alternative viewpoint)? By your own premises, the anti-scientific worldview that you are arguing for is equally illusory.

Philosophic understanding is indeed greater than scientific understanding, but the two are not opposed to one another. If your understanding is placing you at odds with science, then your understanding is flawed. As it stands, you are currently indistinguishable from the crazy Christian fundamentalists who also block out science.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Where did I "block out" science? Simply saying anyone that attributes life to evolution, without believing in an underlying awareness that caused the process of evolution, is an absolute fool. Sensual experience was created by an unkown higher awareness, some call this god, tell that to most scientists and I'm sure they will find it contradictory.

The fact is, the universe is an illusion of sensory experience, you obviously didn't know this or believe it, but its the truth, making you wrong and the crazy christian fundamentalists who believe in a god/creator/designer/manifestor 100% a lot closer to being correct than you.

Recognize your own divine experience. Currently you are caught in dogmatic scientific view points, most of which you have never researched yourself, most of which you don't even have the time to properly understand.

As I've said before, this is a forum for enlightenment, yet you ignore the fundamental understanding of enlightenment: matter is the stuff of dream and exists only in sensual perception.

If you don't understand this truth, or disagree with it, you are wrong instantly. Or at least should not be on a forum for enlightenment as you disagree with the fundamental enlightened understanding of ultimate reality, as described by one of the most famed enlightened ones, the Buddha Gautama.

"A wise man, recognizing reality is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, and so he escapes the suffering" Buddha

I think you are a co-founder of this forum? Yet you are not familiar with this enlightened understanding? Odd.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Realize you don't know all the things you think you know about the things that go on outside your own experience, then you will see what I've said is the truth.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:.... matter is the stuff of dream and exists only in sensual perception.
It doesn't even "exist in there". If you'd study Buddhism a bit closer you'll see that Buddha meant with "real" the idea of inherent existence, some essence which rose from nothingness, something unique and personal to being, something separated of a self. So this is about the notion of assigning "reality" to anything, to have faulty concepts of things existing as itself. Suffering is that ignorance.

Be careful with that Buddha, he's also saying your supposed faculty of having "sensual experience" is illusion and also the concept "the universe is an illusion" is therefore an even more tricky illusion. That illusion does not exist somewhere, not even under the guise illusion. Following that path you'll arrive back at square one, an empty square.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote: Recognize your own divine experience. Currently you are caught in dogmatic scientific view points, most of which you have never researched yourself, most of which you don't even have the time to properly understand.

I agreed with you that philosophic understanding is greater than science. Try reading the other blogs. I know more than you think...

If you don't understand this truth, or disagree with it, you are wrong instantly. Or at least should not be on a forum for enlightenment as you disagree with the fundamental enlightened understanding of ultimate reality, as described by one of the most famed enlightened ones, the Buddha Gautama.
The Buddha didn't speak about a creator God. I don't know here you got that from. His understanding went far deeper than that.

Be very careful of drug experiences, particularly weed and LSD. They can so easily deceive the mind, and they can lead you to think that you are far more enlightened than you really are.

"You reached for the secret too soon", sang Roger Waters of Syd Barrett's downfall.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I examine myself enough to know whether that's the case or not.

Never tried LSD, and if you think cannabis has anything but a positive effect on the philosophical mind you are very wrong.

I would assume the same for LSD after reading Aldous Huxley's trials.

I am aware the Buddha didn't speak about the creator or God.

And I am aware how high level the Buddha's philosophy was, he went even as far to say that there is no experience of the feelings, just the feelings themselves.

I would judge enlightenment on how often someone is in "enlightened vision mode", which occurs every time you observe the world or your consciousness with true wakefulness and empty mind ( free from any prejudice, detached from, alien appearance), observing both the things in the world and the transient nature of the things that make up the illusive "I".

You probably know what I'm talking about.

And if you have reached a state when you are always in this state.

Where the illusion is clear, where only the moment is ever present, where desire seems ridiculous.

Seeing clearly that even movement is illusory.
Existing only in the process of becoming these feelings.

In the words of the Buddha, the world is "like a dream or miraculous image projected".

And what does "far more enlightened than you really are" mean?

Enlightenment is a path because the awareness is always expanding. Are you trying to make a determination of maybe how far along this path of heightening consciousness "I" am bearing witness to the unfolding of?

Did you bring a ruler?

You might not, and maybe even the Buddha didn't, but philosophically, I very much see the need for a cause of these feelings, "miraculous images".

An unknown cause of which we only know its manifestations.

And sorry I didn't read more of your blogs, sure I would have seen a mystical approach later on.

Language is only ever provisional. As we know.
Diebert van Rhijn

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:And I am aware how high level the Buddha's philosophy was, he went even as far to say that there is no experience of the feelings, just the feelings themselves. .... Existing only in the process of becoming these feelings.
Where and what are these feelings if there's no self experiencing them or in other Buddhist words: if consciousness does not "land" on them and remains "unbound"? In that respect Buddhism treats "feeling" the same as any material or concept, any mentation. There is no "directness" here, even a feeling is thoroughly processed and composed after all, mostly "under the hood" and out of sight. There are no feelings "themselves". Not for the Buddhist! Perhaps the quote should read then: "...existing only in the process of becoming." Period.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I am speaking of feeling as everything. Mental formations, thought, sensual experience... consciousness. Everything included in our experience is what I refer to as the stream of feeling which we are becoming.

These feelings make up our consciousness and are transient, hence we are becoming, and what "we" are is transient.

There is no self, only thought, sight, hearing, sense, the arising and passing away of sense forms.

Hence, since there is nothing for us but the flow of these sense forms, what "we" are flows in parallel with them, becomes them. "Formless", "like water". What is wrong here? If it is my specific language excuse it ( pro visionary language, no real meaning in itself, find the concept not the words)

Diebert, we are all talking about things that are known, I want to go beyond, i want to take into account the understandings we have of reality ( which should have massive implications on science and all things) and follow these understandings deeper, see what more we can discern from this newer way of thinking.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
SeekerOfWisdom wrote:.... matter is the stuff of dream and exists only in sensual perception.
It doesn't even "exist in there". If you'd study Buddhism a bit closer you'll see that Buddha meant with "real" the idea of inherent existence, some essence which rose from nothingness, something unique and personal to being, something separated of a self. So this is about the notion of assigning "reality" to anything, to have faulty concepts of things existing as itself. Suffering is that ignorance.
Diebert, again provisional language, I know exactly where it exists, it exists right here, in the words that I am seeing. That's as far as it exists. There is no self, because there is only the feelings, the seeing of these words, the hearing of a dog barking, etc, nothing else, no self to experience these feelings.

Although, the blessed one did exactly outline that "reality is but an illusion", " the world is like a dream or miraculous image projected".... what he was doing when he was saying this is describing exactly what I mean when I say the world is an illusion like a dream. It can't very well be described in words, as you know, but you can see it right now,just as I can, so we are actually in agreement on this subject.
Diebert van Rhijn

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:There is no self, only thought, sight, hearing, sense, the arising and passing away of sense forms. Hence, since there is nothing for us but the flow of these sense forms, what "we" are flows in parallel with them, becomes them. "Formless", "like water".
Anyone wanting to go beyond, should first ponder this old rather worn out question: if a sensation is stirred up but there's no one around to sense it, how different would it feel?

It's not a matter of a self existing or not-existing, obviously the subject-object takes place through the arising and passing of thoughts, sights, hearing, senses and forms. You can talk about your body arising and passing away amidst material forms or your senses arising and passing away amidst sense forms. But this would be saying the same thing, only a matter of giving attention to sensation or to formation. One could be said to be less composite and lasting than the other but no fundamental difference here.
SeekerOfWisdom wrote:Although, the blessed one did exactly outline that "reality is but an illusion", " the world is like a dream or miraculous image projected".... what he was doing when he was saying this is describing exactly what I mean when I say the world is an illusion like a dream. It can't very well be described in words, as you know, but you can see it right now,just as I can, so we are actually in agreement on this subject.
As long as the whole world is an illusion then your actions inside that world will necessarily be part of that illusion. Not sure what's stopping you to follow these understandings deeper. You don't need anything or anyone. More likely you need less of a few things.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

The sensation doesn't exist at all if it is not sensed.

The only thing stopping me from following these understandings is because I need a hive mind, when you have these kind of understandings it is very unclear whether you are crazy or not, hence the need for minds to bounce off.
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:The sensation doesn't exist at all if it is not sensed.
Then the senses, the feelings, are dependent on the existence of a feeler/sensor.
The only thing stopping me from following these understandings is because I need a hive mind, when you have these kind of understandings it is very unclear whether you are crazy or not, hence the need for minds to bounce off.
If you're having trouble discerning your sanity on your own, then your understanding of the nature of consciousness isn't as accurate as you think it is.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

No, seeing reality as a mirage or illusion that exists only as far as the senses, while most are still seeing it as a physical thing that exists despite their sensory experience of it, does make one ponder his own sanity... for the reason that the truth is so absurd, and so simple, and because it is either I who is caught in an absurd mental state, or everyone else...

Although when I do remember how unintelligent the majority is, it does help me to remember the sanity.

Not many are clearer on the nature of consciousness and the universe , I know it only goes as far as the experiences, other people have assumed so much with no evidence, pretended to have so much knowledge about what is outside these experiences, that is foolishness.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

David,

Why do you insist on the term "genius?" Do you not realize it is obvious troll bait, or do you simply not care, or do you feel the ends justify the means?

I'm just curious.

-jdquirk
I live in a tub.