What is the the value of being a genius?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
oxytocinNA

Re: What is the the value of being a genius?

Post by oxytocinNA »

Eric Orwoll wrote:Because it keeps me busy.
Which is of value (relative worth, merit, or importance) to you.
Z1724v b7zb18xr y38 h24c23
Eric Orwoll

Post by Eric Orwoll »

oxytocinNA wrote:
Sure, but I was trying to make a joke.

I'm not disagreeing with anything your saying, yet I feel like I'm being pulled into some sort of argument.
oxytocinNA wrote:All concepts are abstracted constructs
Yes, that was my point.

My personal inclination is to allow my brain to take advantage of its conceptual ability in order to construct concepts that lead to a greater understanding of reality.
I know that because I am a limited being I may never be able to experience the unlimited, but knowledge of the workings of divinity is satisfying enough.

I'm a pantheistic nihilist, I can't provide a justification for my actions because I don't believe there is any in an absolute sense. All I can do is explain why I like doing certain things.
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

What's the cost of being a sucker?
oxytocinNA

Post by oxytocinNA »

Eric Orwoll wrote:
oxytocinNA wrote:
Sure, but I was trying to make a joke.

I'm not disagreeing with anything your saying, yet I feel like I'm being pulled into some sort of argument.
oxytocinNA wrote:All concepts are abstracted constructs
Yes, that was my point.

My personal inclination is to allow my brain to take advantage of its conceptual ability in order to construct concepts that lead to a greater understanding of reality.
I know that because I am a limited being I may never be able to experience the unlimited, but knowledge of the workings of divinity is satisfying enough.

I'm a pantheistic nihilist, I can't provide a justification for my actions because I don't believe there is any in an absolute sense. All I can do is explain why I like doing certain things.
I do not engage in arguments. I only point out incorrect premises, and sometimes help to resolve inconsistencies.
Eric Orwoll

Post by Eric Orwoll »

Okie dokie. Seems like a semantic difference to me.
oxytocinNA wrote:One of the variations of an old self contradiction premiss.
Can you be more specific? Help me to resolve inconsistency.
oxytocinNA

Post by oxytocinNA »

Eric Orwoll wrote:Okie dokie. Seems like a semantic difference to me.
oxytocinNA wrote:One of the variations of an old self contradiction premiss.
Can you be more specific? Help me to resolve inconsistency.
Some of it was.

No. I have very important reasons why. Despite the "free speech" mantra in the US, in many ways, it is no different from the time of Galileo. If you expose the fallacious nature of sacred cows, there is a penalty. The other is about value exchange. I only stick to/ share simple things, as opposed to more complex.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:What if genius is the very thing creating value? What would the value of such gem be?

Anyway, a discussion on value is interesting for many reasons. There are a few things I want throw into the mix to see if they resonate. There are three concepts here for me which seem to be related to each other:
  • value
  • meaning
  • connection
For example, life is valued because it has meaning. When life has lost meaning, one stops seeing the value of maintaining it (much). Or the other way around: we tend to see meaning in valuable things.

Connections seem to generate meaning or value. The most crazy explicit example is a website like Facebook. Its value is derived from many billions of connections between many millions of users, which are mapped and generate monetary value for the business and emotional or entertainment value for users. Google adds value by connecting advertisers in a massive way to whatever their users mean to find or value. And they connect in more ways than anyone else online people to whatever it is they're looking for. Did they look from something meaningful or did they find meaning looking for it, one wonders.

Now there's also pleasure and desire in the mix of meaning. People find meaning in how something makes them feel ("meaningful"). And as such also will value the experience (or hate it). What would have the most value of all the things in existence? Would that be also the most meaningful thing? And following this logic, would that mean it has to be something connected to everything more than anything else is?

This post will only have meaning for the ones who can connect to parts because they already have similar ideas and those connections will make them value reading it. The more it connects to what you're on about, the more sense it makes, the more value is added. And so this is the model for now. But to use it to answer the topic question: the value of genius is how much you can relate to it. The rest being vanity.
Facebook is a good example of the ridiculous lack of value in the global economy and social wealth (culture). I think it paints a picture of how doomed we really are.
unbound
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Dan Rowden wrote:I suggest you read the introduction forum then tell me if you still think you are a "genius".
The introduction is a poor attempt at proclaiming what a Genius should be. The site has a major flaw in using the term Genius incorrectly. Reading an introduction to Genius takes away the Genius aspect of being a Genius anyway. A genius does not read an introduction, a genius creates their own interpretation of what a genius should be. My interpretation does not include stupid ideas like Jesus, and living in ones own infinite knowledge. The knowledge that you reach with a theory of everything is a knowledge of physics, and psychology. A genius does not learn parrot fashion, and to read an introduction to Genius is to parrot yourself with the introduction. I do not agree with the introduction, and I say a forum that is called Genius Forum should not expect to have parrot followers.

Anyway, to the opening post...

To be at college, and to make money, and to be a genius who makes money is to play a game of chess with society. Some genius are so advanced however that society cannot even understand them at all. It is hard to make money if you are a genius of genius. It is hard to fit in with society if you think that society is medieval. Einstein got a grant, and now that grant no longer exists. For that reason, there is no longer a true place for Genius of Genius.
Aniihya

Post by Aniihya »

If I am genius is not for me to decide. I just live life and like to engage in discussion in which I present my thoughts. I see no point in reputation. If you consider yourself a genius and you get lots of appraisal, then you get full of it and do not show your true potential. I see genius as someone who follows an interest with passion, not caring about how others view him, leading to ultimate success. I am certain that Einstein could have done much more.
Tenver-

Post by Tenver- »

"What is the value of being a genius?"

Pain.

"Geniuses are the luckiest of mortals because what they must do is the same as what they most want to do." - Wystan Hugh Auden

Liberation from the self.