What is reality, what is a 2x4?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dennis Mahar

Re: What is reality, what is a 2x4?

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Most of the other evidence I offered in this thread simply as objective corroboration of this reality: as evidence that not only do other people directly and indirectly experience these spirits too, but that they experience them, in particular through communication, in ways that prove their external existence independent of the mind.
independent of the mind?
what?
you might have to rethink that one.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cathy Preston wrote:Why concern yourself with the idea of supernatural when you haven't plumed the depths of the natural?
Why indeed. There is something in the word "supernatural" which expresses a hatred and loathing of the natural.

-
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

David Quinn wrote:
Cathy Preston wrote:Why concern yourself with the idea of supernatural when you haven't plumed the depths of the natural?
Why indeed. There is something in the word "supernatural" which expresses a hatred and loathing of the natural.

-

Yeah, kinda like misogyny...except that would be unnatural, instead of supernatural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

the universe is made of stories, not atoms.

stories are empty and have no intrinsic nature.

like a thief that has entered a house in which there is nothing to steal.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Dennis Mahar wrote:the universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Yeah, the Universe is a bunch of bullshit, right ?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

apparently.
everything you think you possess is a fleeting illusion.
apologies.

reading your stuff tells me your true position is 'don't know'.
be that.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

who are you talking to ? yourself ?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

you 'don't know'
stand there truthfully.
break through.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

If you think you know....you dont know.
If you don't know...you know.

~Huang Po
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

don't stand in huang po
stand in you.

you 'don't know'.

break through.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

don't know what ?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

It's the way of it.
For the Buddha he desired to understand Life.
He toiled for many years in ascetic practices and stories from his culture which led nowhere and left him disgusted, weary, disconsolate.

He faced 'don't know'.
He sat by the tree, beaten.

There's a thing about 'don't know'.

Buddha's wisdom became polluted.
Nagajuna faced 'don't know' and put it back together and is credited as the second turning of the wheel.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

to not know , is to know
who knows what ?

there is no one there to know anything
and that, is to know everything

know nothing=know everything

so, I think I know right ?
That means , I DON'T KNOW !

ULTIMATE REALITY CANNOT BE KNOWN
ONCE YOU THINK YOU KNOW IT....YOU DON'T
THE TAO, CAN'T BE NAMED

the only thing that makes sense to me is that, ALL IS ONE
but when bad shit happens, i can't comprehend it.
only when everything is beautiful and peaceful can I see it
although I see it, I sometimes feel it....

Speaking from my heart
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Kunga wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Why indeed. There is something in the word "supernatural" which expresses a hatred and loathing of the natural.
Yeah, kinda like misogyny...except that would be unnatural, instead of supernatural.

Misogyny is as natural as everything else. Even that which is called the "supernatural" is completely natural. People who are unsatisfied with what other people call natural are drawn towards the supernatural. On the other hand, when people encounter something that threatens their attachments(e.g, misogyny), they call it unnatural. But all things, whether natural, supernatural or unnatural, are completely natural.

Of course, I define "nature" as "everything that exists", instead of what I would prefer to be natural, unnatural etc. So if I say "all things are unnatural" or "all things are supernatural", I would be saying the same thing.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Mr van Rhijn,

Our discussion may be close to having run its course - I'll just respond to a few things you've said:

Simply because existence means nature: "the natural". That seems like an odd definition of "existence" - I suggest that it is as ad hoc as it is to support your position in this discussion. I suggest this because I've never known either word to be defined such that "the supernatural" does not "exist" or that "existence" does not include "the supernatural". Most peculiar!

To you "sufficient evidence" means unverifiable books and third party stories. Whey-hey, you're taking us for a fun ride here, unfortunately I must apply the brakes a little by drawing your attention to your own words: "More interesting to me is how this always ends up with the other paraphrasing and modifying substantially what's being said". You must know that you're doing exactly that here: I have made it clear that my primary evidence is personal experience. Books and third party stories are simply corroboration of that personal experience, particularly useful for demonstrating that other people have had similar experiences.

Then you try to make me look bad by claiming that "no amount of evidence could convince me". It's a mean-spirited charge with no base in the conversation we were having. Well, I just never. Mean-spirited and baseless, no less! But Diebert, the exact opposite is the case: I assumed charitably that you would not willingly do something you had explicitly stated to be irrational. You do remember labelling both a.1 and a.2 "irrational", don't you? Moreover, I have twice asked you explicitly what it would take in the way of evidence to convince you, and you have failed to respond on both occasions. By all means, correct that failure!

And what's the alternative to the truth you see in this perception? It might for example be that your mind is imagining things or memory not reliable and the earlier reference to a diagnosed schizophrenia would become an important concern as well. *Sigh*. See, you're just not paying attention. This is why I offered corroborating evidence, in particular Roy's life story and Victor Zammit's references to cases of people being obsessed with spirits after Ouija board experiences.

I won't address the rest of your post as it amounts to an expression of disbelief, and I have no further interest in trying to convince you to abandon that position.

Cathy,

Why concern yourself with the idea of supernatural when you haven't plumed the depths of the natural? This is a peculiar question - I could turn it back on you and ask why not, as it is you who seems to be implying some such reason exists, and thus you really ought to provide it, but I'll do you one better and offer a few affirmative answers:

1. Because the supernatural has concerned itself with me.
2. Because it has more significant implications for the nature of reality and in particular spirituality than the natural.
3. Because it's fascinating in and of itself to explore what lies beyond the limits of "normality".

cousinbasil,

Why, our own Diebert, a truffle-snuffler? Sniffing for a prize to turn a conversation with? Could be, could be.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

jupiviv wrote:
Kunga wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Why indeed. There is something in the word "supernatural" which expresses a hatred and loathing of the natural.

Misogyny is as natural as everything else. Even that which is called the "supernatural" is completely natural. People who are unsatisfied with what other people call natural are drawn towards the supernatural. On the other hand, when people encounter something that threatens their attachments(e.g, misogyny), they call it unnatural. But all things, whether natural, supernatural or unnatural, are completely natural.

Of course, I define "nature" as "everything that exists", instead of what I would prefer to be natural, unnatural etc. So if I say "all things are unnatural" or "all things are supernatural", I would be saying the same thing.
Giving someone their definition of a thing as if they can know the isness, the exactness of the thing is to expose the problem inherent in all human suffering, that is, the problem of the existence of the root cause of Ignorance, that of the condition of dependent [this and that] origination. "Nature" and "supernatural" and "woman" and "misogyny" are just such examples of the arousal of subjective-objective complex intertwinings of "this and that", an entangled complexity not even the thinker of the definition can trace to an absolute root cause [the thing that is the reason why]. Why? Because, as was stated above, the root cause is the original condition of Ignorance that is the appearance of things.

"Cup" is of the Ignorance of Appearance, but being without attachment to shape, colour, texture or size, Mind uses "cup" to go beyond "cup."
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

guest_of_logic wrote:Simply because existence means nature: "the natural". That seems like an odd definition of "existence"
It's a very good one as it ties in with the idea of "essence" or "way" things are, being it experiences, objects or thoughts. Anything which manifests even as imagination. Think about all flying objects as "natural" and unidentified flying objects as "supernatural": a set of experiences which seem to defy any current explanation. One fails to identity or even misidentifies. Now an unidentified flying object still has "nature" since it's being identified as flying. But otherwise its nature is unknown. It has no further nature and the more one finds out about it, the more clear it will become part of [a] nature.

In this sense, the unnatural or supernatural both have no existence simply by definition. And what is existence without essence, without nature? Which methods are there to determine the nature of something or that it even has one?
I have made it clear that my primary evidence is personal experience. Books and third party stories are simply corroboration of that personal experience, particularly useful for demonstrating that other people have had similar experiences.
But you introduced yourself the idea that "sufficient evidence has been offered in practice for these particular empirical phenomena in this very thread alone". Although you hastily added that even while offered it was "not directly accessible". So you weren't talking about books I couldn't access but your own personal experiences which I didn't and can never have. So your primary evidence is whatever comes up in your mind then?
Moreover, I have twice asked you explicitly what it would take in the way of evidence to convince you, and you have failed to respond on both occasions.
The question is wrong. Convince me of what? That unknowns are out there? That you are talking with real entities? That the books you have read are factual even while you don't know either?
I won't address the rest of your post as it amounts to an expression of disbelief, and I have no further interest in trying to convince you to abandon that position.
But you are the one with the clearly outlined position and yet you think I have such positions carved in stone. Exactly one year ago a guy living not far from here was in a somewhat similar situation as you appear to be, being somewhat obsessively in communication with spirits, using some Ouija board, highly "spiritual" and into "the other side", a nice guy, a thinker, kept mostly to himself although he was suicidal at times and a gun lover. One day he goes to the mall with three loaded guns and butchered six random people, hurts many more and then kills himself. Now how could he do that? Did the spirits tell him? The wrong one at the other end of the line? Did he start to hate nature and life? It's to me one example of how the love for death and non-existence could cause death and non-existence. And there are many flavors of death and suicide. What was really the evil here?
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

But what sort of mischievous spirits would communicate via a child's toy? Here's an idea - get a group of Asians who do not speak English and have them touch the glass - then have an English- speaking person query the spirits. Or have the group touching the glass be deaf-mutes who do not hear the questions being asked.

Little enough is known about a person's subconscious - still less about collective subconscious.

If these so called "paranormal" phenomena are real - that is to say, have been documented beyond reasonable doubt - some sort of explanation is in order, yes? Of what nature are these spirits? If they are separate entities with individual intelligences, are they persons in any normal sense? Are we claiming they are spirits of the departed? Have they ever been incarnate? Can they make contact without relying on a child's toy?

I had a major jaw-dropping shock the other day. The business I work for is family owned and operated. The mother, Mrs. B., is elderly and the epitome of professional. Always kind, can shrug off rude clients and vendors, insightful, intelligent, and gentle and efficient. And she has a great sense of humor - just an estimable woman, hard-working all her life. I have had mad respect for how she is helpful to her employees and customers alike.

One day a week or two ago, we hit a slow afternoon on a Friday and we got to talking. I learned that "metaphysics" is her passion; that she is "spiritual, but not religious" - meaning what it usually does, I suspect: she abandoned any organized religion, which may have been Catholicism, since she is of Irish descent, and she has since spent a life exploring spiritualism with her husband, Mr. B. Together, they attend all sorts of spiritualism events, with past-life regression, séances, you name it. Both Mr. and Mrs B. have seen "ghosts," according to her, and once even the same one. Mr. B has a set of past life personages he was - one of them being Isaac Newton. They have witnessed a speaker at one of these meetings morph himself into Abraham Lincoln.

Well she's telling me this, and I have no idea what expression I must have had on my face. At first, I thought she must be joking. I was desperately trying to think of something to say, and I must have muttered something acceptable, because she didn't seem to be offended. But I have trouble looking at her the same way - and when I see Mr. B., I wonder if when he regresses into Isaac Newton, he tries to pry an eye from its socket to see what happens...
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Laird wrote:I have made it clear that my primary evidence is personal experience. Books and third party stories are simply corroboration of that personal experience, particularly useful for demonstrating that other people have had similar experiences.
It is the same with me, Laird - the experiences always seem to come first, and then I say, all right, what just happened, and in short order, the reading material always seems to find me.
Cathy Preston

Post by Cathy Preston »

guest_of_logic:
1. Because the supernatural has concerned itself with me.
2. Because it has more significant implications for the nature of reality and in particular spirituality than the natural.
3. Because it's fascinating in and of itself to explore what lies beyond the limits of "normality".
1. You experienced something and you have no explanation for it, so you go about the important task of pinning it down.
2. Your responses imply that you know what exactly is normally happening, except your responses reveal that you don't.
3. The world is enthralling isn't it.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

cousinbasil wrote: Little enough is known about a person's subconscious - still less about collective subconscious.

If these so called "paranormal" phenomena are real - that is to say, have been documented beyond reasonable doubt - some sort of explanation is in order, yes?
The existence of bookshelves full of phenomena in itself does not suddenly rise above "reasonable doubt" considering you just said how little is known about "subconscious" or even how the mind works, how it registers, memorizes, works with others to corroborate, how fluid observations might be, and so on. It's very important to drop the fake certainty in the way we endlessly document what we see. It's possible though that to explain some of the weirdness a completely different starting point is needed. In the mean time it seems most often impossible to control or predict any of these phenomena. So let them not control us in terms of detraction from the real issue. At this forum the topic of siddhis has been raised often enough and it's definitely a potential source of endless distraction. Or in many cases one gets to bite off more than one can chew. Better to bite off the head of the dragon than to chase it.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Good link, Deebee - that one page sums up a lot of my own take on things.
Tomas

What is a birthday?

Post by Tomas »

guest_of_logic wrote:Mr van Rhijn,

Our discussion may be close to having run its course
Happy Birthday, Laird :-)

You two may now return to your regular discussion............
Don't run to your death
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Tomas, a few of my sockpuppets have b-days coming up. It would mean a great deal to me-us if you'd put us down for remembrance. Perhaps we could all have a party and cake? (But how would you know who's who? Oh details, details!)
fiat mihi
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

DvR,

In this sense, the unnatural or supernatural both have no existence simply by definition.

This sense and definition are different to that which I am using - try not to sow confusion by pointing with your finger to a different moon than mine is! The specific aspect of the supernatural that I am talking about both exists and can be known, and when known, is still "supernatural", at least by my definition.

So your primary evidence is whatever comes up in your mind then?

This is a cheap manipulation of what I've written, Diebert, and you ought to know it. My primary evidence is my personal experience.

guest_of_logic: Moreover, I have twice asked you explicitly what it would take in the way of evidence to convince you, and you have failed to respond on both occasions.

DvR: The question is wrong. Convince me of what?

You can remind yourself by looking up the question in the post in which it was posed in specifics.

It's to me one example of how the love for death and non-existence could cause death and non-existence.

You do have a good imagination, Diebert, it's just that you're using it to take yourself away from the truth instead of towards it.

I think I'm done here, but if you do respond and if something seems like it's particularly worth addressing I might respond again.

cousinbasil,

But what sort of mischievous spirits would communicate via a child's toy?

Is it really justifiable to label as "a child's toy" something that has caused serious misery to adult people? Aren't you playing the QRS game of assigning a label of diminishment to that which you don't accept as true here?

Here's an idea - get a group of Asians who do not speak English and have them touch the glass - then have an English- speaking person query the spirits. Or have the group touching the glass be deaf-mutes who do not hear the questions being asked.

I would say that that's a great idea except that I don't believe Ouija boards should be used by anyone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing, just like I don't think that psychoactive drugs should be used for recreational purposes - both have too much potential for harm. If the experiments were conducted with professional mediums, though, then sure, they could be very interesting.

If these so called "paranormal" phenomena are real - that is to say, have been documented beyond reasonable doubt - some sort of explanation is in order, yes? Of what nature are these spirits? If they are separate entities with individual intelligences, are they persons in any normal sense? Are we claiming they are spirits of the departed? Have they ever been incarnate? Can they make contact without relying on a child's toy?

What I've read suggests that there are different types of spirits, some being the Earth-bound spirits of dead people, and some being spirits in the "native" sense and of different dispositions ranging from beneficent through neutral to malevolent - you just never know which you're going to get. As for making contact without Ouija boards, I know through personal experience that they can do just that. Also, as I understand it, that's essentially how many psychics get their information - through direct spirit communication. I'm not an expert though by any means.

As for your boss's story, wouldn't you think given your high esteem for her that you owe her the presumption of truth? Perhaps some things are not quite as they seem at first glance, such as her husband being the reincarnation of a famous person, but they might be explicable in different ways: one of the books I've cited in a past post suggests that it's possible to recall other people's past lives as if they were one's own if one is spiritually close to that person's energy. That would explain the unlikelihood of your boss's husband literally being the reincarnation of Sir Isaac Newton, which is not to say that the unlikely scenario is itself false - perhaps, even though unlikely, it really is true.

I'm not sure why you write off the rest so readily. You are a believer in God and His plan - isn't that such a fantastic (and I use that word in the sense of "beyond the ordinary") thing as to make the believability of things like this a cinch in comparison?

Cathy,
1. You experienced something and you have no explanation for it, so you go about the important task of pinning it down.
2. Your responses imply that you know what exactly is normally happening, except your responses reveal that you don't.
3. The world is enthralling isn't it.
1. Right.
2. I see. So, what exactly is it that's happening normally that (in your estimation) I don't know?
3. Without a doubt.

Tomas (Toe-mass),

Thanks for the birthday wishes, I never would have expected them on this forum of all places!