Machiavellianism

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Cory Duchesne

Re: Machiavellianism

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Dionysus wrote:How can anyone assert that the ends do not justify the means, when everyday, we justify our appropriation and killing of other life for the sake of furthering our own, when we kill animals for the sake of nourishment?
There are many different contexts to approach this from.

If a man tries to use innocent people as a means to an end (let's say the end is petty vengeance), but then ends up surprised that he was found out (and hence ended up being used as a means to an end to the same degree), then what good is he to anyone? Not only is he a harm to others, but he's a harm to himself. This is the kind of man who ends up surprised by his own stupidity. Such a person cannot even treat himself well, and his self abuse spills over onto others.

If you're going to approach reality through the means-end dynamic, obviously there are sensible and sinister reasons for it.

As for the gazillion of other examples there are for "means to an end" thinking, it depends on the context and the purity of character.

This forum is largely about the nature of genius, which means it's about character, personality. Hypothetical's are ideally put into the context of psychology, motive, nobility, purity. Yes, sometimes exploitative actions are practical, trivial and relatively harmless. Other times they are petty and asinine.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Here's a song I wrote. I dedicate this one to Dionysus, and all the Machiavellians who are interested in growing a set of balls.

Criminal Energy

edit:

"Unfortunately, Nietzsche (however superior he is to the man I have in mind) seems to have devoted himself chiefly to what he thought would shock the public. He is at his best when he is most unmindful of effect. His was the vanity of the mirror, saying to what it reflects, "See how faithfully I show you your image." In youth when a man is not yet certain of himself he may try to secure his own position by jostling others. Great men, however, are painfully aggressive only from necessity. They are not like a girl who is most pleased about a new dress because she knows that it will annoy her friends."
Last edited by Cory Duchesne on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Here's another one for you self entitled, whining, exploitative shit heads:

Going Inside | Corewebworks

edit:

Although a goddess of war, Athena gets no pleasure from battle... but rather from settling disputes , and upholding the law by pacific means. She bears no arms in time of peace, if ever she needs any, will usually borrow a set from Zeus. Her mercy is great, yet, once engaged in battle, she never loses the day, even against Ares himself, being better grounded in tactics and strategy than he; and wise captains always approach her for advice. (The Greek Myths, vol 1, Robert Graves)

--

“Against war it can be said; it makes the victor stupid, the defeated malicious. In favour of war: through producing these two effects it barbarizes and therefore makes more natural; it is the winter or hibernation-time of culture, mankind emerges from it stronger for good and evil.” (Friedrich Nietzsche)

--

Without war human beings stagnate in comfort and affluence and lose the capacity for great thoughts and feelings. They become cynical and subside into barbarism.
(fyodor dostoyevsky)
Last edited by Cory Duchesne on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

They probably play this kind of music to torture prisoners at Guantanamo.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

I have little sympathy for a man who complains over mere aesthetics. He's like a spoiled princess complaining about a lump in his mattress.

Us Ubermensch bard, we have a raw, stripped down feel to our aesthetics, like living in a barrel out on the streets.

It's not for bitches.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

I am not complaining about aesthetics; there is no aesthetic element in the video. Some of the quotes were good, but any effect they might have is ruined by the constant stream of buttplasma that is pumped into viewers' ears.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

jupiviv wrote:Some of the quotes were good, but any effect they might have is ruined by the constant stream of buttplasma that is pumped into viewers' ears.
Buttplasma? That's (a new) one I've not heard. You win a cookie.
Don't run to your death
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

jupiviv wrote:I am not complaining about aesthetics; there is no aesthetic element in the video. Some of the quotes were good, but any effect they might have is ruined by the constant stream of buttplasma that is pumped into viewers' ears.
It's buttplasma because you've allowed yourself to create that reality, and hence, here you are: drenched in your own buttplasma.

A fools accomplishment, good job.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

I am just giving my honest opinion of the music you played, that's all. But even if you don't agree to it being buttplasma, I'm sure you'll agree that it is aesthetically somewhat inferior to one of Beethoven's piano sonatas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dTI8Ww-tSk

Personally, I don't care about any music, so if I had to make that video it would have minimal/no music.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

You don't care about any music?

Then for the sake of logical consistency it's best that you keep your nose out of things that, self admittedly, are none of your business.

You wouldn't want to keep dousing yourself in butt-plasma, would you?

As for ranking aesthetics in terms of superior and inferior, I'm too busy having a life to bother myself over dualities of no consequence.

However, thank you for the Beethoven link. It is fine music, I agree on that much.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Cory Duchesne wrote:Here's a song I wrote. I dedicate this one to Dionysus, and all the Machiavellians who are interested in growing a set of balls.

Criminal Energy
I do say the words and music made for a good tune. I recommend this. Thanks Cory.
Don't run to your death
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Cory Duchesne wrote:Here's another one for you self entitled, whining, exploitative shit heads:

Going Inside | Corewebworks
Pretty good man. A solid B+. Not quite as toe-tapping as the first but the graphics are better in this.
Don't run to your death
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Thanks for the kind words, Tomas.

I have another video of a song I wrote, noosphere

This particular song itself is recorded on a USB mic at my computer, so you might find it a step down.
SuperMegaUltraGenius

Post by SuperMegaUltraGenius »

Shepard wrote:It seems to me that anyone who thinks honesty can get you anywhere is naive.
Maybe Honesty with other people won't get you anywhere, but honesty with yourself is indispensable.
SuperMegaUltraGenius

Post by SuperMegaUltraGenius »

Cory Duchesne wrote:Initially it was, but widespread dissemination of Machiavellian literature shows that the underlying social psychology applies everywhere where social power and seduction matter. Hence, you see Machiavellian philosophy rear it's head even in the music industry (2pac Shakur consciously employed it to make his mark as a musician).
Many have made their mark through Machiavellian methods, but I guess you singled out Tupac Shakur because he took the alias 'Makaveli', thereby endorsing that philosophy. Yet I don't see what distinguishes him as particularly Machiavellian.