The Nature of Evil

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
jupiviv

Re: The Nature of Evil

Post by jupiviv »

Cory Duchesne wrote:I think that as a coach, you can't treat all players the same, and you have to be rougher with some players than others
You can't be a coach of wisdom if you are seeking wisdom. Right now I think you are seeking wisdom, but if you continue to think of yourself as a coach of wisdom then you'll end up as a coach of ignorance.
Many of you show little to no interest in the aesthetic side of life, when in my view, the aesthetic is fine, and even functional as long as you have a firmly rooted relationship to the ethical and religious.
It depends on your idea of what aesthetics is, or indeed what ethics and religion is. It seems you think that aesthetics means the emotions. If religion is defined as enlightenment, then no, enlightenment does not involve being emotional. Rather, enlightenment must necessarily include erasing every delusion that gives rise to the emotions.
I also question the depth of your insight into psychology and personality development, I see very black and white thinking with you guys in areas that are not black and white, yet, are valuable.

My thinking is not black and white, but I have to point out that black and white are in fact black and white, as opposed to red or indigo. Much of what you are calling your psychological insight seems to be the projection of your own likes and dislikes onto others. You inevitably end up creating one category of people who are despicable and another who are decent, for example the most recent one - monks and superstars. When someone points that out to you, they become a simple monk.

Enlightenment, however, consists precisely in not doing this, and not treating people differently depending on what you feel about them and what they feel about you. That's what Kierkegaard meant by - "love the person you see, and see the person you love."
Humans are here to function with each other like organs in a body function. This requires sociological thinking, and if you are decidedly asocial, then just stay out of it.
If society is deluded then there's no reason a wise person would get willingly involved in it.
Criticizing past figures is fine if you're trying to find your own styles, but at the end of the day, these guys all compliment and contrast each other, they work as a team.
So a person who has only read Hakuin's work and not Weininger or Kierkegaard's work has no chance of being enlightened? Ultimately it depends on how you interpret what these people wrote. Countless academics have read Kierkegaard's work, and Hakuin's work, and not become wise as a result. On the other hand, it is possible to read an issue of Harper's Bazaar and become enlightened. It all depends on you alone, and not any 'team' of sages.
If you catch me in obvious errors point them out, but I know the game.
I am pointing them out, but you don't consider them to be errors! We're back to square one - both of us are essentially the same as everything else in the Universe, but we disagree nevertheless. Now how do we decide who is right and who is wrong?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Now how do we decide who is right and who is wrong?
The 2 central foci are being and becoming.

Where the former focuses on the permanent, unchanging, eternal entities,
the latter focuses on the impermanent, changing phenomena.

The 'perpetually perishing' realm of becoming is short-lived, transient, unreliable and unrealisable in any sense. Attachment to this realm denigrates knowledge to the status of opinion.

Rather than pumping out winning formulas or social constructs concerning 'what to do about the chicks'
and,
'this chick is the light of my life and the lamp unto my world'.

What's possible is recovery of original nature,
pre conceptual bald existence,
the bare ground,
the pristine context.

It's not right or wrong.
It's your focus.
Liberty Sea

Post by Liberty Sea »

jupiviv wrote:
If all things are illusions, then they are real for precisely that reason. There can't be anything real that all things are hiding from your sight.
Yes, because their existence are just as inherent as a dream.

That's right. My point was that there is a world that is beyond the brain or the mind.
Yes, but it doesn't possess finite shapes and forms.

These two statements don't contradict each other because they are not made about a thing. If I said "the All has neither inherent selfhood nor inherent non-selfhood", I would still be right. How can one contradict oneself in the face of God?
"Inherent nonselfhood" = "Inherent nonexistence" = "Not existing in any sense."
That is my last word on this problem. If you fail to understand it, the argument is still done here.
We can't be aware of the All, but neither can we be unaware of it.
We can be aware that we one with the All, and I can be aware that anything within the range of my consciousness is me.
What does "arise" mean here? I would say it means "be something other than itself", for delusions are the result of expecting things to be a certain way, and not any other.
'Arise' means "is Originated", "come into being/existence". I have read the text in Sanskrit, Chinese and Vietnamese and I know perfectly what the word means. Nothing whatever arises because "Nihil ex Nihilo". Nothing comes out of nothingness.
Nature has always been there and processes continuously.
Not from itself,
Referring to inherent existence. If inherent existence is posited as a quality of a thing, then it is not the same as the thing.

No. That just means a phenomena does not come from/is not originated by itself.
not from another,
Referring to inherent nonexistence. Same as above.
No. That just means a phenomena does not come from/is not originated by another phenomena.
not from both itself and another,
I.e both inherent existence and inherent nonexistence. If both are posited as being qualities of a thing, they would still not be identical to the thing.
No. That just means a phenomena is not originated by an co-operation of itself and another phenomena.
There is only one thing that exists, that is nature, which processes continuously.
and not without a cause."
Neither inherent existence nor inherent nonexistence nor both nor neither are in and of themselves the cause of a thing.
No. That just means a phenomena must be caused.
The whole verse means: there is continuous process of Nature (an infinite network of interdependent processes) and we humans, for conventional purpose, 'choose' to perceive a particular phenomena (carve out a particular phenomena out of that network), and give it a conventional explanation, and by perceiving it we give it a non-inherent existence.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Liberty Sea wrote:
jupiviv wrote:That's right. My point was that there is a world that is beyond the brain or the mind.
Yes, but it doesn't possess finite shapes and forms.
The world beyond the mind is not infinite(i.e, everything) because there is something else that is not it(the brain.) Hence, it is finite.
"Inherent nonselfhood" = "Inherent nonexistence" = "Not existing in any sense."
Inherent nonexistence means not existing inherently. It does not mean absolute nonexistence. The All may be said to be absolute nonexistence, since no finite thing(s) is the All.
We can be aware that we one with the All
We can be aware that any finite thing(like us) is a part of the All. Is that what you mean? However, we can neither be aware nor unaware of the All itself, since we are part of it.
'Arise' means "is Originated", "come into being/existence". I have read the text in Sanskrit, Chinese and Vietnamese and I know perfectly what the word means. Nothing whatever arises because "Nihil ex Nihilo". Nothing comes out of nothingness.
I know Sanskrit(I'm Indian.) There are many words for origination, and some of them(like mulya, nabhi, prakriti, prakriya, prabhitti etc.) also mean something like "essence" or "nature." He seems to be saying that things don't have an essential nature that is separate from the way in which they appear. This is the same as saying that a thing cannot be other than itself(A=A.) And really, it doesn't matter what the original meaning was, as long as we can interpret the words in a wise way.
There is only one thing that exists, that is nature, which processes continuously.
Since Nature is not a thing, it does not exist(or exclusively not exist.)
Liberty Sea wrote:
jupiviv wrote:Neither inherent existence nor inherent nonexistence nor both nor neither are in and of themselves the cause of a thing.
No. That just means a phenomena must be caused.
The whole verse means: there is continuous process of Nature (an infinite network of interdependent processes) and we humans, for conventional purpose, 'choose' to perceive a particular phenomena (carve out a particular phenomena out of that network), and give it a conventional explanation, and by perceiving it we give it a non-inherent existence.
The cause of a thing is everything else except that thing. Inherent existence, non-inherent nonexistence, etc. are just concepts that we create for conventional purposes. In other words, they are things, and as such any one or a combination of them don't comprise all of the things that are not any given finite thing.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

jupiviv wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:I think that as a coach, you can't treat all players the same, and you have to be rougher with some players than others
You can't be a coach of wisdom if you are seeking wisdom. Right now I think you are seeking wisdom, but if you continue to think of yourself as a coach of wisdom then you'll end up as a coach of ignorance.

And there lies the problem. You interact with people with your mind already made up about the person you're talking to. I have little doubt it's a habit, and essentially, you seek to feel good about yourself by devaluing others. It's business as usual as far as homo sapiens are concerned.
Many of you show little to no interest in the aesthetic side of life, when in my view, the aesthetic is fine, and even functional as long as you have a firmly rooted relationship to the ethical and religious.
It depends on your idea of what aesthetics is, or indeed what ethics and religion is. It seems you think that aesthetics means the emotions. If religion is defined as enlightenment, then no, enlightenment does not involve being emotional. Rather, enlightenment must necessarily include erasing every delusion that gives rise to the emotions.
This is where I bridge Shamanism and Wisdom. Sensations, excitation, enthusiasm, these are all fine as long as you kill yourself before reality does. Reality is (inevitably and always) in opposition to the fantasy that gives rise to emotion, but that does not mean you should not enjoy imagination or fantasy. The foolishness is when time enters the picture, combined with hope and anticipation. Once you narrow your mind in on a "worldly" possibility, you become a slave to that possibility. Fantasy ideally is an alchemical process, where one effortlessly transforms the low into the high. Lows no longer become lows, but rather, the charge point, and highs are inevitably dangers that represent a critical and unpredictable transformation/disintegration point.
I also question the depth of your insight into psychology and personality development, I see very black and white thinking with you guys in areas that are not black and white, yet, are valuable.

My thinking is not black and white, but I have to point out that black and white are in fact black and white, as opposed to red or indigo. Much of what you are calling your psychological insight seems to be the projection of your own likes and dislikes onto others. You inevitably end up creating one category of people who are despicable and another who are decent, for example the most recent one - monks and superstars. When someone points that out to you, they become a simple monk.
There's nothing despicable about a monk. What's worthless to me is a monk whose hell bent on making everyone think exactly like him, and who has a habit of seeing the worst in everything anyone says. This is a man who exaggerates his importance in the world, and seeks to be admired by devaluing others.
Humans are here to function with each other like organs in a body function. This requires sociological thinking, and if you are decidedly asocial, then just stay out of it.
If society is deluded then there's no reason a wise person would get willingly involved in it.
And here lies the arrogance. The inability to see possibilities. A sheer paucity of talent in matters of psychology, sociology and even basic reason.
Criticizing past figures is fine if you're trying to find your own styles, but at the end of the day, these guys all compliment and contrast each other, they work as a team.
So a person who has only read Hakuin's work and not Weininger or Kierkegaard's work has no chance of being enlightened? Ultimately it depends on how you interpret what these people wrote. Countless academics have read Kierkegaard's work, and Hakuin's work, and not become wise as a result. On the other hand, it is possible to read an issue of Harper's Bazaar and become enlightened. It all depends on you alone, and not any 'team' of sages.
The capacity for viewing reality in such a way is a secondary engagement that one would take on following enlightenment, provided there was sufficient intelligence, courage, social capacity, love, etc.
If you catch me in obvious errors point them out, but I know the game.
I am pointing them out, but you don't consider them to be errors! We're back to square one - both of us are essentially the same as everything else in the Universe, but we disagree nevertheless. Now how do we decide who is right and who is wrong?

My engagement is precisely that, to get people to cooperate, viewing their identity as everyone and everything around them. Cooperation implies differences, a respect for contrast, lows, highs, flats, sharps. All of these "distinctions" still exist, but in an entirely new way. This is why I value the category of "simple monk." Simple monks cannot cooperate for the life of them.

They require escape from the world, into nothingness, they cannot tolerate differences. It's the difference between a young male who has no problem with sports, and a male who gets angry at the competitive and non egalitarian atmosphere.

*fixed grammar
Last edited by Cory Duchesne on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Cory Duchesne wrote:You interact with people with your mind already made up about the person you're talking to.
I am basing my judgment on what I've read of your posts.
Sensations, excitation, enthusiasm, these are all fine as long as you kill yourself before reality does.
I don't understand what you mean by "killing yourself before reality does."
Reality is (inevitably and always) in opposition to the fantasy that gives rise to emotion, but that does not mean you should not enjoy imagination or fantasy.
Reality itself(i.e, the All) is not opposed to fantasy. It is the knowledge of Reality that is opposed to fantasy.
The foolishness is when time enters the picture, combined with hope and anticipation.
Enjoyment always involves hope. If nothing else, the one who is enjoying anticipates more enjoyment.
What's worthless to me is a monk whose hell bent on making everyone think exactly like him, and who has a habit of seeing the worst in everything anyone says.
If he is a wise monk, then what's the problem with that? A wise man sees all things as parts of Reality. To him, "bad" may mean the lack of this seeing.
This is a man who exaggerates his importance in the world, and seeks to be admired by devaluing others.
It is indeed despicable if a person wants to admired by devaluing others. But if he devalues that which he sincerely believes to lack value, and doesn't want any separate reward for doing so, then there is nothing despicable about him.
And here lies the arrogance. The inability to see possibilities. A sheer paucity of talent in matters of psychology, sociology and even basic reason.
How is it arrogant to say that a wise person won't get involved with a deluded society? Certainly, some people in society have greater potential to become enlightened than others, but that hardly warrants taking part in human society. If a sage goes around telling everyone what he thinks of their delusions, then chances are 99% of them wouldn't want to have anything to do with him.

I'm simply currently focusing on the different potentials that individuals have for wisdom. All I'm doing is questioning the depth of your wisdom itself.
They require escape from the world, into nothingness, they cannot tolerate differences.
If a person is like this then they are not a sage. A sage is perfectly happy to live with all differences.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

jupiviv wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:
They require escape from the world, into nothingness, they cannot tolerate differences.
If a person is like this then they are not a sage. A sage is perfectly happy to live with all differences.
Live and let live.

Don't run to your death
Liberty Sea

Post by Liberty Sea »

The world beyond the mind is not infinite(i.e, everything) because there is something else that is not it(the brain.) Hence, it is finite.
I have proved that the brain has no definite form, hence anything beyond the mind is formless.
Inherent nonexistence means not existing inherently. It does not mean absolute nonexistence.
"Inherent nonexistence" = "Absolute nonexistence" = "Absolute non-being" = "Absolute nothingness".
"Not existing inherently" = "Non-inherent existence".
Look up the grammar rule I posted in the second last post. The problem lies in your trouble with language. For convenient, I will use 'Absolute' to imply 'inherent', and 'relative' to imply "non-inherent".
The All may be said to be absolute nonexistence, since no finite thing(s) is the All.
Since Nature is not a thing, it does not exist.
You insist on the view that Nature is Absolute Nothingness. Okay, keep your view. I am not arguing. I simply disagree.
We can be aware that any finite thing(like us) is a part of the All. Is that what you mean? However, we can neither be aware nor unaware of the All itself, since we are part of it.
This is what I mean by being aware of the All:

From Krishnamurti's Notebook: "On the first day, while I was in that state and more conscious of the things around me, I had the first most extraordinary experience. There was a man mending the road; that man was myself; the pickaxe he held was myself; the very stone which he was breaking up was a part of me; the tender blade of grass was my very being, and the tree beside the man was myself. I almost could feel and think like the roadmender, and I could feel the wind passing through the tree, and the little ant on the blade of grass I could feel. The buds, the dust, and the very noise were a part of me. Just then there was a car passing by at some distance; I was the driver, the engine, and the tyres; as the car went further away from me, I was going away from myself. I was in everything, or rather everything was in me, inanimate and animate, the mountains, the worm, and all breathing things. All day long I remained in this happy condition..."

Bernadette Roberts: "I was standing on their windy hillside looking down over the ocean when a seagull came into view, gliding, dipping, playing with wind. I watched it as I had never watched anything before in my life. I almost seemed to be mesmerized: it was as if I was watching myself flying, for there was not the usual division between us. Yet something more was there than just a lack of separateness, “something” truly beautiful and unknowable. Finally I turned my eyes to the pine-covered hills behind the monastery and still, there was no division, only something “there” that was flowing with and through every vista and particular object of vision. To see the Oneness of everything is like having special 3D glasses put before your eyes; I thought to myself: for sure, this is what they mean when they say “God is everywhere”... What I had [originally] taken as a trick of the mind was to become a permanent way of seeing and knowing" - (Roberts, 1984, p. 30).
---------------------
Malwida von Meysenburg: "I was alone upon the seashore as all these thoughts flowed over me, liberating and reconciling; and now again, as once before in distant says in the Alps of Dauphine, I was impelled to kneel down, this time before the illimitable ocean, symbol of the Infinite. I felt that I prayed as I had never prayed before, and knew now what prayer really is: to return from the solitude of individuation into the consciousness of unity with all that is, to kneel down as one that passes away, and to rise up as one imperishable. Earth, heaven, and sea resounded as in one vast world-encircling harmony. It was as if the chorus of all the great who has ever lived were about me. I felt myself one with them…" (von Meysenburg, 1900;).
---------------------
From Amiel's Journal Intime: "In that time the consciousness of God’s nearness came to me sometimes. I say God, to describe what is indescribable. A presence, I might say, yet that is too suggestive of personality, and the moments of which I speak did not hold consciousness of a personality, but something in myself made me feel myself a part of something bigger than I, that was controlling. I felt myself one with the glass, the trees, birds, insects, everything in Nature. I exulted in the mere fact of existence, of being a part of it all – the drizzling rain, the shadows of the clouds, the tree-trunks, and so on. In the years following, such moments continued to come, but I wanted them constantly. I knew so well the satisfaction of losing self in a perception of supreme power and love, that I was unhappy because that perception was not constant."

"He who has allowed the beauty of that world to penetrate his soul goes away no longer a mere observer. For the object perceived and the perceiving soul are no longer two things separated from one another, but the perceiving soul has [now] within itself the perceived object." (Plotinus, First Ennead, 8:1)

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.”
― Meister Eckhart

Forman: "This began in 1972. I had been practicing meditation for about three years, and had been on a meditation retreat for three and a half months... I was silent inside. I don’t mean I didn’t think, but rather that the feeling inside of me was as if I was entirely empty, a perfect vacuum. Since that time all of my thinking, my sensations, my emotions, etc., have seemed not quite connected to me inside. It was and is as if what was me, my consciousness itself, was (and is) now this emptiness. The silence was now me, and the thoughts that have gone on inside have not felt quite in contact with what is really ‘me,’ this empty awareness. ‘I’ was now silent inside. My thinking has been as if on the outside of this silence without quite contacting it: When I saw, felt or heard something, that perception or thought has been seen by this silent consciousness, but it has not been quite connected to this interior silence.
Over the years, this interior silence has slowly changed. Gradually, imperceptibly, this sense of who I am, this silence inside, has grown as if quasi-physically larger. In the beginning it just seemed like I was silent inside. Then this sense of quietness has, as it were expanded to permeate my whole body. Some years later, it came to seem no longer even limited to my own body, but even wider, larger than my body. It’s such a peculiar thing to describe! It’s as if who I am, my very consciousness itself, has become bigger, wider, less localized. By now it’s as if I extend some distance beyond my body, as if I’m many feet wide. What is me is now this expanse, this silence, that spreads out."
jupiviv wrote: I know Sanskrit(I'm Indian.) There are many words for origination, and some of them(like mulya, nabhi, prakriti, prakriya, prabhitti etc.) also mean something like "essence" or "nature." He seems to be saying that things don't have an essential nature that is separate from the way in which they appear. This is the same as saying that a thing cannot be other than itself (A=A.) And really, it doesn't matter what the original meaning was, as long as we can interpret the words in a wise way.
No, he is saying that a thing lacks inherent existence/ a thing is empty of essence, because it doesn't exist apart from its part. A table doesn't exists apart from its parts. There is no part-bearer in the Table, no self resides in the table's parts.
To quote the Buddha:
"There is not a self residing in Name and Form,
but the co-operation of the conformations
produce what people call a man.

Just as the word 'chariot'
is but a mode of expression for axle, wheels, the chariot-body
and other constituents in their proper combinations,
so a living being is the appearance of the groups
with the four elements as they are joined in a unit.
There is no self in the carriage
and there is no self in man. "
(The Buddha's Gospel, compiled by Paul Carus.)
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Liberty Sea wrote:I have proved that the brain has no definite form, hence anything beyond the mind is formless.
You just created two definite forms - the mind, and anything beyond the mind.
"Inherent nonexistence" = "Absolute nonexistence" = "Absolute non-being" = "Absolute nothingness".
Inherent nonexistence means not existing inherently. It is a quality that must be attributed to a thing, otherwise what is it that inherently doesn't exist? Whatever it is, it is not absolutely nonexistent, otherwise we couldn't make any statement about the nature of its existence or nonexistence.
Since Nature is not a thing, it does not exist.
You insist on the view that Nature is Absolute Nothingness. Okay, keep your view. I am not arguing. I simply disagree.
I insist on the view that Nature is both absolute existence(everything) and absolute nonexistence(nothing) at the same time. You would be contradicting yourself if you said that nature is absolutely everything but not absolutely nothing.
From Krishnamurti's Notebook: "On the first day, while I was in that state and more conscious of the things around me, I had the first most extraordinary experience. There was a man mending the road; that man was myself; the pickaxe he held was myself; the very stone which he was breaking up was a part of me; the tender blade of grass was my very being, and the tree beside the man was myself. I almost could feel and think like the roadmender, and I could feel the wind passing through the tree, and the little ant on the blade of grass I could feel. The buds, the dust, and the very noise were a part of me. Just then there was a car passing by at some distance; I was the driver, the engine, and the tyres; as the car went further away from me, I was going away from myself. I was in everything, or rather everything was in me, inanimate and animate, the mountains, the worm, and all breathing things. All day long I remained in this happy condition..."
I've had such imaginings myself, but they have nothing to do wisdom or enlightenment.
Bernadette Roberts: "I was standing on their windy hillside looking down over the ocean when a seagull came into view, gliding, dipping, playing with wind. I watched it as I had never watched anything before in my life. I almost seemed to be mesmerized: it was as if I was watching myself flying, for there was not the usual division between us. Yet something more was there than just a lack of separateness, “something” truly beautiful and unknowable. Finally I turned my eyes to the pine-covered hills behind the monastery and still, there was no division, only something “there” that was flowing with and through every vista and particular object of vision. To see the Oneness of everything is like having special 3D glasses put before your eyes; I thought to myself: for sure, this is what they mean when they say “God is everywhere”... What I had [originally] taken as a trick of the mind was to become a permanent way of seeing and knowing" - (Roberts, 1984, p. 30).

Malwida von Meysenburg: "I was alone upon the seashore as all these thoughts flowed over me, liberating and reconciling; and now again, as once before in distant says in the Alps of Dauphine, I was impelled to kneel down, this time before the illimitable ocean, symbol of the Infinite. I felt that I prayed as I had never prayed before, and knew now what prayer really is: to return from the solitude of individuation into the consciousness of unity with all that is, to kneel down as one that passes away, and to rise up as one imperishable. Earth, heaven, and sea resounded as in one vast world-encircling harmony. It was as if the chorus of all the great who has ever lived were about me. I felt myself one with them…" (von Meysenburg, 1900;).

These are even more vague and emotion-ridden than the first quote. Every young boy has this kind of experience when flying a kite or running after an airplane in the sky. However, they are honest and don't call it "oneness with the infinite" etc.
"He who has allowed the beauty of that world to penetrate his soul goes away no longer a mere observer. For the object perceived and the perceiving soul are no longer two things separated from one another, but the perceiving soul has [now] within itself the perceived object." (Plotinus, First Ennead, 8:1)
This is a bit more clearer than the other ones, but this is still not enlightenment.
“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.”
― Meister Eckhart

Excellent! This is infinitely the best one of the quotes you have posted so far.
Forman: "This began in 1972. I had been practicing meditation for about three years, and had been on a meditation retreat for three and a half months... I was silent inside. I don’t mean I didn’t think, but rather that the feeling inside of me was as if I was entirely empty, a perfect vacuum. Since that time all of my thinking, my sensations, my emotions, etc., have seemed not quite connected to me inside. It was and is as if what was me, my consciousness itself, was (and is) now this emptiness. The silence was now me, and the thoughts that have gone on inside have not felt quite in contact with what is really ‘me,’ this empty awareness. ‘I’ was now silent inside. My thinking has been as if on the outside of this silence without quite contacting it: When I saw, felt or heard something, that perception or thought has been seen by this silent consciousness, but it has not been quite connected to this interior silence.
Over the years, this interior silence has slowly changed. Gradually, imperceptibly, this sense of who I am, this silence inside, has grown as if quasi-physically larger. In the beginning it just seemed like I was silent inside. Then this sense of quietness has, as it were expanded to permeate my whole body. Some years later, it came to seem no longer even limited to my own body, but even wider, larger than my body. It’s such a peculiar thing to describe! It’s as if who I am, my very consciousness itself, has become bigger, wider, less localized. By now it’s as if I extend some distance beyond my body, as if I’m many feet wide. What is me is now this expanse, this silence, that spreads out."
Ahh, again...the mundane imaginings of an old woman.
No, he is saying that a thing lacks inherent existence/ a thing is empty of essence, because it doesn't exist apart from its part. A table doesn't exists apart from its parts. There is no part-bearer in the Table, no self resides in the table's parts.
The part's of a thing are just other things, and a thing cannot exist if there are no other things besides it.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Dan Rowden wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:David, stop with your nonsense about logic being evil and therefore a man who embraces, and lives by, logic is an evil man. This is patronizing - the same way the common pronouncement by GF sages that love is the true source of man's suffering is patronizing.
If you substitute "attachment" for "love" you'll find the pronouncement is perfectly accurate. I'm not sure anyone has ever said, specifically, that love is the true source of man's suffering. Love is merely part of the set of attachments, albeit a very significant part.
David Quinn wrote:Okay, you are referring to "life" here in the larger sense to mean Nature itself. Yes, Nature is the source of all things, including suffering. But in the practical context of eliminating suffering from our lives, we need to determine the specific factors within Nature that cause suffering - which, at root, is love (attachment).
How are you ruling out the possibility that non-attachment is a delusion... Life would be too harsh otherwise? Attachment is not non-attachment?
David Quinn wrote:If a person is able to love what is there at all times, no matter what the circumstances, then he goes beyond attachment and suffering.
Such a person would have to love being hungry and not hungry at the same time.

On this same thread David says that one's own mind is enough to determine if one's is absent of delusion. And that "Being deluded, the judgements made by the unenlightened are deluded", "truth always appears evil to the untruthful". So David how do you know, or make a (definite) distinction between, what is a delusion and what is not?
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

jupiviv wrote:
Liberty Sea wrote:The perfectly logical man is therefore the perfectly good man, who is likely to be considered as evil by the world. If so: Be evil, as your heavenly father is evil.
But given your definition of "good" being that which is perfect, isn't the perfectly illogical man also the perfectly good man? :-)
"The feeble minded man; is unstable in all his ways..."
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Bobo wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Okay, you are referring to "life" here in the larger sense to mean Nature itself. Yes, Nature is the source of all things, including suffering. But in the practical context of eliminating suffering from our lives, we need to determine the specific factors within Nature that cause suffering - which, at root, is love (attachment).
How are you ruling out the possibility that non-attachment is a delusion... Life would be too harsh otherwise? Attachment is not non-attachment?

The desire to grow into the mode of sustained non-attachment is a consequence of realizing the illusory nature of all things, that one's true nature is beyond life and death and embraces all forms.

Bobo wrote:
David Quinn wrote:If a person is able to love what is there at all times, no matter what the circumstances, then he goes beyond attachment and suffering.

Not sure what you mean by this, given that hunger and non-hunger are alternating states. The truly loving person would love his hunger as much as he does his non-hunger, in the full realization that both are manifestations of God.

Bobo wrote:On this same thread David says that one's own mind is enough to determine if one's is absent of delusion. And that "Being deluded, the judgements made by the unenlightened are deluded", "truth always appears evil to the untruthful". So David how do you know, or make a (definite) distinction between, what is a delusion and what is not?
By expanding one's mind to the largest possible perspective in a logically flawless manner and judging everything from there.

-
Liberty Sea

Post by Liberty Sea »

Inherent nonexistence means not existing inherently. It is a quality that must be attributed to a thing, otherwise what is it that inherently doesn't exist? Whatever it is, it is not absolutely nonexistent, otherwise we couldn't make any statement about the nature of its existence or nonexistence.
Absolute non-existence/Inherent non-existence is impossible, even to conceive, because if you imagine a nothingness, that too is a form in your head. So, absolute nothingness doesn't exist in reality. It only exists as a logical fallacy. Like a married bachelor.
My logic dilemma demonstrated why absolute being is impossible for a finite thing but is possible for the all, after negating absolute non-being in the first place.
I insist on the view that Nature is both absolute existence(everything) and absolute nonexistence(nothing) at the same time. You would be contradicting yourself if you said that nature is absolutely everything but not absolutely nothing.
I don't think so.
Absolute existence is a formless void.
The part's of a thing are just other things, and a thing cannot exist if there are no other things besides it.
Okay, but what Nagarjuna is saying here is: The essence of table is not in the table, nor is it in the parts of the table, nor in other things, nor in its causes. Nor in the emptiness of essence of the table.
Last edited by Liberty Sea on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Liberty Sea wrote:Absolute non-existence/Inherent non-existence is impossible, even to conceive, because if you imagine a nothingness, that too is a form in your head. So, absolute nothingness doesn't exist in reality. It only exists as a logical fallacy. Like a married bachelor.
It is possible to understand that absolute nothingness cannot exist in any particular location, and therefore must be present in all locations(absolute existence.)
what Nagarjuna is saying here is: The essence of table is not in the table, nor is it in the parts of the table, nor in other things, nor in its causes.
Correct. In other words, the essence of the table is absolutely everything, or absolutely nothing at all.
Liberty Sea

Post by Liberty Sea »

jupiviv wrote: It is possible to understand that absolute nothingness cannot exist in any particular location, and therefore must be present in all locations(absolute existence.)

So, is the existence of this Absolute Non-being dependent on the existence of Absolute Being? If so, it is not absolute.
Correct. In other words, the essence of the table is absolutely everything, or absolutely nothing at all.
I don't know what you were arguing for.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Liberty Sea wrote:So, is the existence of this Absolute Non-being dependent on the existence of Absolute Being? If so, it is not absolute.
I've already said that absolute non-being and absolute being are the same.
jupiviv wrote:Correct. In other words, the essence of the table is absolutely everything, or absolutely nothing at all.
I don't know what you were arguing for.

I was interpreting Nagarjuna's words differently from you. I.e, he meant that inherent existence, inherent nonexistence etc. are just concepts which we may find useful in revealing the nature of things, but none of them are in and of themselves the essence of things. Nagarjuna's teachings are essentially nothing but a series of compact syllogisms intended to propel a person's mind into the thinking of an enlightened individual.
Liberty Sea

Post by Liberty Sea »

jupiviv wrote: I've already said that absolute non-being and absolute being are the same.

I was interpreting Nagarjuna's words differently from you. I.e, he meant that inherent existence, inherent nonexistence etc. are just concepts which we may find useful in revealing the nature of things, but none of them are in and of themselves the essence of things. Nagarjuna's teachings are essentially nothing but a series of compact syllogisms intended to propel a person's mind into the thinking of an enlightened individual.
Okay, I can see your logic. Whether I would accept it or not, I will tell you later.

Back to the main topic, what do the men here think about the relationship between evil and responsibility?
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

jupiviv wrote:
Reality is (inevitably and always) in opposition to the fantasy that gives rise to emotion, but that does not mean you should not enjoy imagination or fantasy.
Reality itself(i.e, the All) is not opposed to fantasy. It is the knowledge of Reality that is opposed to fantasy.

You think you know the definitions that other people ascribe to their own words, when it is in fact beyond your awareness. This is something I noticed about you a long time ago. You come across as incredibly lop sided to me, as if you lack consciousness in a crucial area. It appears you allow conclusions into your mind about other people that are entirely unwarranted. This is the difference between you and Kevin Solway. KS would typically reply in a humble manner, admitting he's not sure how I'm defining the words I'm using, asking me to clarify. He's a good man.

You currently lack the ingredients for that, and in fact, you come across as a very strong character (as opposed to having character). You are very Bull-like.
The foolishness is when time enters the picture, combined with hope and anticipation.
Enjoyment always involves hope. If nothing else, the one who is enjoying anticipates more enjoyment.
And here's another example of arrogance. You have your own simplistic models of human psychology and pin them onto me. I experience enjoyment often with a very deliberate awareness of impending doom. Death is very central to my spirituality - that all enjoyment must be killed, and one's being renewed through loss/death.

I will not be replying to anything else you say. Do you know why? I believe the members on this forum have been enabling you.

For me to exchange with you any further, in my mere estimation, would be like giving an alcoholic more liquor. Logical argumentation, after it becomes a habit, is relegated to the aesthetic sphere. You likely do it for pleasure, and to argue with you is just feeding an energy that should be starved.

I don't feel sorry for being rough with you, because it's about time someone did it. I would be happy to see you grow your philosophical activity beyond GF, publishing your own writing independent of the forum, starting your own website, some social networking, make some friends. But so far, the way you go about your business has not earned you any stable place in my sphere of attention.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Absolute non-existence/Inherent non-existence is impossible, even to conceive, because if you imagine a nothingness, that too is a form in your head.
But the real reason is not whatever we imagine makes it exist, as in gives it form, but that nothingness cannot be caused in the first place.

Causality works by equalisation, the path of least resistance, so if nothingness is the absence of anything, there is no 2nd side for any equalisation to occur, so causality could not arise between something and nothing. There is no outside nothingness to the totality, there is only the self-creation of the totality, the creation of a "greater and greater" totality over time, from within.

While the phrase greater and greater may seem meaningless when it comes to the necessary infinite universe, as in if something is already infinite then adding to it does not make it any more infinite, but it does if one views the universe in a infinite hierarchical, Matryoshka doll, sense , wherein the universe we see within the is just one doll amongst many, separated by event horizons, and each doll is made up of multiple instances of other smaller dolls. Time is continually adding new layers of existence, that gives existing dolls the illusion of being of a smaller size than some unknown absolute large size. Small things are just ”vanishing points” where the past increasingly becomes hidden by the present. Atoms are old universes, and the photons, then quarks, then strings, within them are even older – times expansion is continually pushing them away from ”our time”, “our present” . To a creature above us in the time hierarchy our universe would also just be one atom amongst many.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Cory Duchesne wrote:You think you know the definitions that other people ascribe to their own words, when it is in fact beyond your awareness.
You didn't mention that your definition of "fantasy" was any different from the way it's normally used. Fantasy normally means "something not grounded in a knowledge of reality", and you seemed to mean "delusion" by it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is the difference between you and Kevin Solway. KS would typically reply in a humble manner, admitting he's not sure how I'm defining the words I'm using, asking me to clarify. He's a good man.
It would be tedious to ask each other the definition of every word that we use. If you read my post again, you will find I said at the very beginning that I didn't know what you meant by "killing yourself before reality does", but you haven't explained it yet.

On the other hand it would be a simple matter to tell me that I was misinterpreting you and clarify what you said. Wouldn't that be the humble thing to do, rather than accusing me of being bull-like for not asking you to clarify what you said?
I experience enjoyment often with a very deliberate awareness of impending doom. Death is very central to my spirituality - that all enjoyment must be killed, and one's being renewed through loss/death.

So what do you mean by "enjoyment"? You haven't clarified how your definition of enjoyment is different from mine. It doesn't matter that his enjoyment will end to a person who is enjoying, as long as he continues enjoying. Similarly, most people say they know they will die some day, but continue to be attached to their lives.
For me to exchange with you any further, in my mere estimation, would be like giving an alcoholic more liquor. Logical argumentation, after it becomes a habit, is relegated to the aesthetic sphere. You likely do it for pleasure, and to argue with you is just feeding an energy that should be starved.
I don't post here a lot except for short durations, when I see the potential for an interesting discussion.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

David Quinn wrote:
Bobo wrote:

The desire to grow into the mode of sustained non-attachment is a consequence of realizing the illusory nature of all things, that one's true nature is beyond life and death and embraces all forms.

Everything is illusory (in nature) except one's true nature (that embrace all forms), seeing formless in form is non-attached love while seeing form in form is attached love which leads to suffering. Which leads me to ask, do you think that (all) form is formless? (or maybe only true nature is formless...)
David Quinn wrote:
Bobo wrote:

Not sure what you mean by this, given that hunger and non-hunger are alternating states. The truly loving person would love his hunger as much as he does his non-hunger, in the full realization that both are manifestations of God.

Right, such person would love apple pie and lemon pie the same, knowing that both are manifestations of god. We can infer that while an attached person can choose between both pies by attachment, a non-attached person can't. Would the non-attached person, by whatever means he happens to make a choice, make it on a logical basis? So that the means used to achieve a decision could never be illogical...
Also would the perspective from 'non-attachment love' love attachment?
David Quinn wrote:
Bobo wrote:On this same thread David says that one's own mind is enough to determine if one's is absent of delusion. And that "Being deluded, the judgements made by the unenlightened are deluded", "truth always appears evil to the untruthful". So David how do you know, or make a (definite) distinction between, what is a delusion and what is not?
By expanding one's mind to the largest possible perspective in a logically flawless manner and judging everything from there.

-
Is the largest logically flawless perspective individual or logical? How do you know that you have reached the largest perspective possible?
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Bobo wrote:How do you know that you have reached the largest perspective possible?
This is not so difficult a question as it first seemed when I read it. When one has examined a thing thoroughly and from all possible perspectives each, in turn, in its own broadest and narrowest sense, further effort will produce no new thoughts or ideas. In other words, nothing that comes after makes you see more or better. This doesn't mean, however, that no new thoughts are possible. Always, something can jolt you out of what seems to be comfortable perspective or set of perspectives. You have to do the work, though - contemplating the thing. In the real world, it is often not a question of the largest possible perspective, but the best possible perspective. Since philosophers seem to seek absolutes, this kind of thinking must make them queasy.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Bobo wrote: Everything is illusory (in nature) except one's true nature (that embrace all forms), seeing formless in form is non-attached love while seeing form in form is attached love which leads to suffering. Which leads me to ask, do you think that (all) form is formless? (or maybe only true nature is formless...)

Both forms and true nature are formless. There is no essential difference between the forms we perceive in each moment and true nature.

Bobo wrote:
David Quinn wrote: The truly loving person would love his hunger as much as he does his non-hunger, in the full realization that both are manifestations of God.

Right, such person would love apple pie and lemon pie the same, knowing that both are manifestations of god. We can infer that while an attached person can choose between both pies by attachment, a non-attached person can't. Would the non-attached person, by whatever means he happens to make a choice, make it on a logical basis? So that the means used to achieve a decision could never be illogical...

You ask good questions. It all depends on the situation. If it is merely a trivial everyday matter of deciding between which of two pies to eat, the enlightened person is likely to dispense with logic and go with whatever feels natural to him in that moment. In other words, he would decide that the decision is not worth his time to logically analyze.

Also would the perspective from 'non-attachment love' love attachment?
Yes, so long as he remains unattached. The enlightened person can love ignorance (seeing it as a manifestation of God), but if he falls into ignorance himself then he can no longer see the Godliness in it and thus can no longer love it in the purest sense. He is back fighting phantoms in hell.

Bobo wrote:
David Quinn wrote:
Bobo wrote: So David how do you know, or make a (definite) distinction between, what is a delusion and what is not?
Is the largest logically flawless perspective individual or logical?
Purely logical.

How do you know that you have reached the largest perspective possible?
You know you have reached it when it embraces all possible worlds, all possible perceptions, all possible forms, all possible subjective realities, etc, and reveals the "sameness" of them all. In other words, when there is nowhere further to go.

We can call it “God’s perspective”, or the “absolute perspective” - the one perspective that embraces and transcends all subjective or relative perspectives.

(Keep in mind that I use the word “perspective” advisedly here. The “absolute perspective” is just a figure of speech, an abstraction constructed in opposition to the relative nature of all perspectives.)

-
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

David Quinn wrote:Both forms and true nature are formless. There is no essential difference between the forms we perceive in each moment and true nature.
Do we keep attachment from being formless and therefore distinct from non-attachment?
David Quinn wrote:You ask good questions. It all depends on the situation. If it is merely a trivial everyday matter of deciding between which of two pies to eat, the enlightened person is likely to dispense with logic and go with whatever feels natural to him in that moment. In other words, he would decide that the decision is not worth his time to logically analyze.

I think a good question would be that even if the person dispenses with logic, if there would be a possible logical choice or not.
David Quinn wrote:Yes, so long as he remains unattached. The enlightened person can love ignorance (seeing it as a manifestation of God), but if he falls into ignorance himself then he can no longer see the Godliness in it and thus can no longer love it in the purest sense. He is back fighting phantoms in hell.
How would someone from a god's perspective fall into ignorance? (Or someone ignorant reach a god's perspective, if relevant.)
David Quinn wrote:
Bobo wrote: So David how do you know, or make a (definite) distinction between, what is a delusion and what is not?
(...)
You know you have reached it when it embraces all possible worlds, all possible perceptions, all possible forms, all possible subjective realities, etc, and reveals the "sameness" of them all. In other words, when there is nowhere further to go.

We can call it “God’s perspective”, or the “absolute perspective” - the one perspective that embraces and transcends all subjective or relative perspectives.
For a person that is ignorant they also don't have nowhere further to go. So how does one individually determines whether he has reached the largest perspective logically?
David Quinn wrote:(Keep in mind that I use the word “perspective” advisedly here. The “absolute perspective” is just a figure of speech, an abstraction constructed in opposition to the relative nature of all perspectives.)

-
Yes, one cannot have a finite perspective of infinite perspectives, for example.
DonaldJ

Post by DonaldJ »

Evil is essentially the many modes parasites feed upon Innocence.. all believing they are eating righteously, only because they feed whilst maintaining mannerisms determined to be pleasant to how parasites feed without victims know they are being eaten...

I've witnessed people believing they are actually feeding upon victim's life essences just by gazing into the victim's eyes.. Refuse them eye contact, and they become psychotically violent, in processing more evil to secure basic evil... They should be taught that not everything on this planet is food for them, especially their own kind, or one day their bloodlines will be aggressive cannibals, hunted for their meat...