Freud / Women

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
uncledote

Freud / Women

Post by uncledote »

Sigmund Freud once said that despite his 30 years of research into the feminine soul the one question he could not answer was "What does a woman want?"

Natalie Haynes (Classicist and comedienne) was asked on BBC Radio 4 how she would answer this question...

"I think a woman wants not to be treated as some sort of exotic subspecies by a coke-addled creep like Freud!"

Fair point, well made.
jupiviv

Re: Freud / Women

Post by jupiviv »

uncledote wrote:"I think a woman wants not to be treated as some sort of exotic subspecies by a coke-addled creep like Freud!"
I realised this was a joke when I saw "comedienne" in brackets. What does it even mean? Firstly, Freud isn't alive, so any desire which involves him in either a positive or a negative context is rendered invalid. Secondly, the statement implies that women may want to be treated as an exotic subspecies by everything else in the universe except Freud. E.g, the icecream bunny.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

I've tried the Ice Cream Bunny approach and it works surprisingly well.
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

jupiviv wrote:
uncledote wrote:"I think a woman wants not to be treated as some sort of exotic subspecies by a coke-addled creep like Freud!"
I realised this was a joke when I saw "comedienne" in brackets. What does it even mean? Firstly, Freud isn't alive, so any desire which involves him in either a positive or a negative context is rendered invalid. Secondly, the statement implies that women may want to be treated as an exotic subspecies by everything else in the universe except Freud. E.g, the icecream bunny.

Are you autistic? You seem to have a habit of grabbing the wrong end of the stick and not appreciating nuances.
GGman

Post by GGman »

Women want to be treated rough (teased/mocked) and ridden hard (heard this one from a female bar tender).
alice144

Post by alice144 »

uncledote wrote:
Are you autistic? You seem to have a habit of grabbing the wrong end of the stick and not appreciating nuances.
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: he lives in his mom's basement, and therefore doesn't know any women.

Analysis: he disagrees with you and holds some sort of grudge against women for rejecting him again and again during high school, but instead of telling you so outright, he is going to couch it within the ettiquette of academic debate.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

When a wisdom seeker is able to take himself to the original cause of gender, sentient awareness, he realizes gender identity is excess baggage.

Freud was not about wisdom but about how to attain to a healthy ego. Nuf said. I realize this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but to quote Cher from the film Moonstruck: "get over it!"
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

How technology got its name, I'm not sure. But, the robot sub-species-so called-woman is mainly an appealing to the melancholy stain-glass-ridden-all-visible man. She is technological-with her posters, magazines, videos, movies, televisionaries, etc.
She is playing the dominant role in this good-riddance era of enlightenment. Don't-think its a matter of what a woman wants, anymore, but, rather, a more in the lines of what she is 'craving.'

My question is; where, the dinosoars male/female mammals? Then, if so,did they have this same argument?
Last edited by ForbidenRea on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

You're majesty:
alice144

Post by alice144 »

movingalways wrote:When a wisdom seeker is able to take himself to the original cause of gender, sentient awareness, he realizes gender identity is excess baggage.

Freud was not about wisdom but about how to attain to a healthy ego. Nuf said. I realize this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but to quote Cher from the film Moonstruck: "get over it!"

Dude. Do you exist in the real world?

I wouldn't care, except that other people react to the fact that I have breasts and a vagina and want to fuck me. Therefore, I must care.

I also find most of Freud's writings highly offensive. It was like, he did some introspecting, and then said, "this must be true because I thought of it!"

Also, he saw a lot of women who has been victims of incest, and instead of taking their concerns seriously, he termed them "neurotics". Now, even in the 21st century, if I get angry about something, it's because I am a neurotic woman and don't know how to control my emotions. Fuck you Freud.
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

Alice,

Freud, in turn, wrote about the complaints of 'what women want.'
'Parapraxes.'
;-)
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

alice144 wrote:
movingalways wrote:When a wisdom seeker is able to take himself to the original cause of gender, sentient awareness, he realizes gender identity is excess baggage.

Dude. Do you exist in the real world?

I wouldn't care, except that other people react to the fact that I have breasts and a vagina and want to fuck me. Therefore, I must care.
I'm with you on Freud. The guy was a fucking asshole.

On the breasts/vagina 'stuff' we have raised our daughters to be aware of the pitfalls surrounding those paramount products of Womanhood. Sexual awareness is something men rarely-to-never learn to anticipate.

The wife and I have been together some 45 years and the imagination never gets old ;-)

Will respond to the other when she gives permission to do so ;-\

PS - Movingalways is a girl named Pam. She has raised children (a nestling) who have now flown the coop.

Steve Miller's song 'Fly Like An Eagle' comes to thought.
Don't run to your death
Blair

Post by Blair »

alice144 wrote:other people react to the fact that I have breasts and a vagina and want to fuck me.
Well, I doubt anyone here does.
alice144

Post by alice144 »

Blair wrote:Well, I doubt anyone here does.
Served! That's right, show me my place!
ForbidenRea wrote:Freud, in turn, wrote about the complaints of 'what women want.'
Well, it's certainly not a penis.

Just in case you were asking seriously -- this is very easily solved. You ask. If she doesn't know, then you might be with the wrong woman.

Incidentally, I think that lumping all women together into a single category is inherently problematic. I make an effort to not so with men. Show us the same courtesy, yes?
Tomas wrote:I'm with you on Freud. The guy was a fucking asshole.
Thanks. :) Few things make me really, really angry anymore. Sigmund Freud is one of them.