Robots With Emotions Should Never Be Made

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Gremln

Robots With Emotions Should Never Be Made

Post by Gremln »

I have seen people argue about why robots with emotions should be made. The arguments are absolutely pathetic. They always say "a robot with emotions would be a better friend for me than a human. Sounds to me like these people just need to get out and meet people.

Also, if robots with emotions were made then they would demand rights and people today have forgotten the definition of humanity enough since euthanasia and PETA exist.
cousinbasil

Re: Robots With Emotions Should Never Be Made

Post by cousinbasil »

Human beings are robots with emotions.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Basil,
Have you heard of the physicist Nassim Haramein who claims he has shown non-duality is the case mathematically?
perhaps you could follow his equations.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

Yes i agree, lets end humanity!
unbound
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Dennis Mahar wrote:Basil,
Have you heard of the physicist Nassim Haramein who claims he has shown non-duality is the case mathematically?
perhaps you could follow his equations.
I hadn't heard of him, but I got hold of a copy of his DVD The Black Whole. He is obviously highly intelligent, and certainly enthusiastic. A lot of what he says makes sense, but there is a lot of hand waving and visual effects being thrown together. He calls himself a physicist, yet he blithely dismisses the gargantuan efforts being made at supercolliders. He may be right about one point, that there is no fundamental particle, that we will keep finding smaller and smaller entities the further in we go. String theory says not - and a lot of physicists are not comfortable with that. Haramein claims that this galaxy and an individual atom are black holes, or are things that "satisfy" the requirements of black holes. I not sure I follow that.

I think his zeal is genuine. It is not surprising the DVD begins by throwing Buckminster Fuller at the viewer. Fuller was another academic outcast who reinvented the wheel but in so doing came up with ideas that seemed original. Haramein also quotes Wheeler and Barrow a lot, which is a good sign.

Evidently, this guy is proclaiming an epiphany of some kind, which is not uncommon among academics. The initial idea he throws at his listener is that since you can imagine a thing getting chopped in half, say - and then halved again, and again, and so on an infinite number of times, that nature must also be like that. The plank length would then not be an absolute limit, but a kind of Schwarzschild radius, an event horizon. "It's dots all the way down."

It's really spellbinding to watch and listen to him theorize, but even if he's a theoretical physicist as opposed to an experimental one, the boys and girls in the lab coats are going to want some way of verifying his claims. He will get the same due skepticism that the string theorists get, probably more so.

But I would like to watch it again.

If it's not on YouTube, you can download it as a torrent.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Thanks Basil.
He's got that big kid excitement of showing his baseball card happening.
He's exploding with love and joy.
The only way to live to my mind.
Good on him.
I don't know if his fans are enrolled in his personality or his maths.

He's got a bit going on.
The structure of the photon.
Hologram.
The Ancient flower of life sacred geometry meant to represent the patterns of creation.

He is declaring access to new energy sources and new technology for human being.
Time will tell.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Time will tell, but it has a way of surprising both sides of any contention. The only way that time will tell is via the predictive or descriptive power of a theory. If Haramein is postulating what occurs below the Planck length, he may as well be talking about turtles all the way down from there. If light bends back on itself at an event horizon, and presumably everything else, there is no way information can escape it. He is talking about bigger than the universe, and smaller than Planck. He is also insisting on the consistency of ideas, which is a good thing - but in these realms, it might be the only thing, ever. These magnitudes (his central concern, if you follow him closely) not only do not suffer from the dualism of "inner vs. outer" worlds; many think they cannot. A long standing source of wonder for physicists and mathematicians - and even some philosophers - is that the Platonic world of numbers a) exists, and b) ever corresponds to the external world. In Haramein's big/tiny realms, the second point becomes moot.