Where are You? How did you get there?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Gremln

Where are You? How did you get there?

Post by Gremln »

I thought I'd make this thread about our beliefs on the supernatural and how we got them.

I was originally a Christian. During my teenage years I began to dislike the Christian community, so I abandoned Christianity and declared myself agnostic. During my time as an agnostic I spent a lot of time out in the woods and I got a feeling of spirituality from the forest. My spiritual connection to the forest grew as I listened to the words of Kevin Solway, Alan Watts and Robert Anton Wilson on the internet. I now consider myself a panentheist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism) and I believe the feeling of spirituality that I get from the forest comes from God.
Dan Rowden

Re: Where are You? How did you get there?

Post by Dan Rowden »

What do you mean by "God" in your final sentence?
Gurrb

Post by Gurrb »

this sounds like a 'one time when i was on mushrooms' kind of story. that being said, i've never experience anything of the sort. i haven't seen or experienced any proof of the existence of god or a god-like existence. why must we attribute internal bliss to an external thing?
praxis

Post by praxis »

Hi, i'm new, and i hope you'll exuse my elementary English.
I was Christian, then ...I understood that religion is a way for only emotional people (they may believe without logic ).
So i went to the forest and tried to understand the best way for those who while - in the darkness, because they did not want to hear me.

And now the philosophical Frunkfurt school helps me to understand, that we (spiritual people) look for truth in wrong direction , today - absolutely other epoch in comparision to century of Christ, Buddha, even Kant and Nietzsche.
Industrial society has own ways for enlightment: decadence of Western culture and collapse of civilisation are manifestations of it. Marcuse, Adorno and other wrote, that ........... the western man has unique own way to find truth - not by means of old philosophy or religion, but by modern psychology and philosophy where are analized his deep inner problems in new intolerable conditions of industrial society.
Keath

Post by Keath »

Gurrb wrote:this sounds like a 'one time when i was on mushrooms' kind of story. that being said, i've never experience anything of the sort. i haven't seen or experienced any proof of the existence of god or a god-like existence. why must we attribute internal bliss to an external thing?
Agree with the first part of your saying but totally disagree with the second one. Each person believes in something, even if he or she says that he/she is an atheist. They believe in power of science, in rationality, etc. But anyway I'm sure that it is in people's nature - to believe... Blindly, without any proofs. Just to have Hope in the life.