Colin Wilson

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Pam Seeback

Re: Colin Wilson

Post by Pam Seeback »

Bob Michael wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:Selecting from an available pool consisting of you and me, no, I can't.
I think Nietzsche came the closest of all of them to turning over all the stones. And I'm inclined to agree with Freud that Nietzsche had "a more penetrating knowledge of himself than any other man who ever lived or was likely to live."
Belief in "will to power" is belief in that the human mind is the origin or cause of will. It is not. Ergo, Nietzsche could not provide the wisdom that would truly take man beyond man. From Zarathustra:
"I teach you the overman. Man is something that shall be overcome. What have you done to overcome him? … All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood, and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is ape to man? A laughing stock or painful embarrassment. And man shall be that to overman: a laughingstock or painful embarrassment. You have made your way from worm to man, and much in you is still worm. Once you were apes, and even now, too, man is more ape than any ape.... The overman is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the overman shall be the meaning of the earth.... Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman—a rope over an abyss … what is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end."
Nietzsche fell into the same trap as many philosophers, that is, that he realized man's purpose was to transcend the condition of his his manhood, but was not willing to absolutely transcend this condition. This is why when he speaks of what will be when man overcomes man, "the end," he has to use a term that includes the concept of man, that of "overman." Nietzsche's spirit was being guided in the right direction, that of transcendence, but when he hit the ceiling of the human mind, he encountered a problem: he had no vision, no language for what That was transcendent to the human mind, so he simply applied a human term to "That." Which was why he put forth a philosophy that he himself could not realize.

Will to power = illusion, delusion, suffering, error.

Thy Will be done = reality, clarity, peace of mind, truth.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

cousinbasil wrote:You maintain that you know of no one who has ever turned over so many many stones to find "the solution to the human problem" as yourself. Your main theme seems to be that even so-called "enlightened" beings fail to inspire others or effect any kind of lasting impact on humanity as a whole. Given the fact that you also don't appear to be getting anywhere peopling your fantasy Ark - and you're not getting any younger - and you don't even appear to be enlightened in any manifest way despite all those overturned stones, one is left to wonder what you are going on about.

I suggest your expectations are as misplaced as your diagnosis of the ills of the world. Your dim view of the state of the world indicates an insufficient level of self-analysis. You find fault everywhere else.

And I don't mean this to be a personal attack, because I have no knowledge of your personal shortcomings except that I am certain they are there and in numbers. I base this entirely on what I perceive to be your erroneous Weltanschauung, which I see as marked by a curious lack of compassion. Though I am sure you'd disagree.
My age has been of some concern to me from time to time over the past few years. But here of late it's not been of any importance. I'm in good health and feel I have at least 10 good years left in me. And even of the body should deteriorate my mind is sharp and clear, which is the key to it all. So I've got plenty of time to build and people the Ark. And the fact that I'm clearly beyond all those in the long list of failed enlightened men (both past and present) in so far having sufficient self-knowledge and the right approach for the task also reassures me that the adventure will be a success.

I have no expectations of being understood by anyone who has not undergone the necessary radical shift of consciousness and is then well along the path of self-discovery/self-overcoming. Rather, I expect myself and my views and goals (which are of the spirit or the greater will) to be ridiculed and considered foolishness by those who are trapped in reason, logic, and self-will. Or the carnally minded. Which is the case with the vast majority of people.

Genuine compassion, like love, is understood and practiced by very, very few people. As a result, the compassion of the world in general (which lacks sensitivity, courage, and wisdom [discernment]) creates and perpetuates far more human conflict and suffering than it eliminates. A man of genuine compassion clearly realizes that most people are as good as dead, and with no hope of resurrection, and that consequently they only help breed death (and surely not authentic life) in everyone they come in contact with. That their physical death would be a blessing to both themselves and the world at large. And a necessary grand-cleansing of the planet of these kinds of people is soon going to take place. As man trudges towards an Armageddon of mass self-destruction. While the Ark will carry some of the 'chosen few' or the 'elect' into the New World.

A man of genuine compassion will also be passionately consummed with developing an effective approach for helping other highly-sensitive and finely-formed people breakthrough the mindset or mentality of the dog-eat-dog, self-centered insanity of the fallen, stuck, and ever-increasingly deteriorating human species. The huge multitude who are doomed to live out empty, but considerably destructive, lives of quiet desperation.

Lastly, many men have held a similar catastropic view of the human species. Though without knowing the root of the problem or the way out for a few.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

jupiviv wrote:I grant that he will not be omniscient and infallible, but his enlightenment will be of great use to others, since he will be able to point out their faults and make the truth known to them.
Primarily he'll have a story. A detailed personal testimony of his journey from saint to sinner, through the hell of insanity, and then on to perfected and enduring 'sainthood'. And his journey to the 'Promised Land' will not have been essentially a cakewalk, as has been the case with the vast majority of enlightened men, but one of total breakdown, breakthrough, vast experiences of change, years of autopsychotheraphy and autolearning, and considerable suffering.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

movingalways wrote:Belief in "will to power" is belief in that the human mind is the origin or cause of will. It is not. Ergo, Nietzsche could not provide the wisdom that would truly take man beyond man.
Nietzsche had a far more deeply penetrating self-knowledge and observational wisdom then most enlightened men, but he lacked total self-knowledge and 'experiential' wisdom, which are absolutely necessary in order to develop the right approach for the task. Nor did he realize that self-overcoming was only possible for a relatively few people or the reason for this fact. Which are the same reasons that all the heretofore philosophers, gurus, godmen, world teachers, etc. failed in the adventure.
movingalways wrote:Nietzsche fell into the same trap as many philosophers, that is, that he realized man's purpose was to transcend the condition of his manhood, but was not willing to absolutely transcend this condition. This is why when he speaks of what will be when man overcomes man, "the end," he has to use a term that includes the concept of man, that of "overman."

It was not his 'unwillingness' to transcend the condition of his manhood, he was incapable of doing so. For the reasons stated above.
movingalways wrote:Nietzsche's spirit was being guided in the right direction, that of transcendence, but when he hit the ceiling of the human mind, he encountered a problem: he had no vision, no language for what That was transcendent to the human mind, so he simply applied a human term to "That." Which was why he put forth a philosophy that he himself could not realize.
Nietzsche, like so many, was too cowardly to live and develop into fullness of manhood in the real world, which is where it must be done. Though to his credit he wasn't a freeloader or a parasite on society like another brilliant-minded (genius no less) fellow we know who claims to have ultimate wisdom and deep insights into the nature of the human condition. Oh yes.....and the nature of women too.
movingalways wrote: His Will to power = illusion, delusion, suffering, error.

If the "human, all-too-human" 'self' is totally absent, or fully transcended, then these 'Wills' are both equally valid and positively rewarding.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Bob Michael wrote:That their physical death would be a blessing to both themselves and the world at large. And a necessary grand-cleansing of the planet of these kinds of people is soon going to take place. As man trudges towards an Armageddon of mass self-destruction. While the Ark will carry some of the 'chosen few' or the 'elect' into the New World.
I know you think I am missing your point because I choose to use reason and perhaps lack that rare genuine compassion which you also think you possess. But indulge me.

You divide humanity into two camps. The chosen few, and everyone else. Some of the chosen few get to board the Ark. The rest will presumably perish alongside of the rest of mankind in this inevitable Armageddon.

Then you continue on:
The huge multitude who are doomed to live out empty, but considerably destructive, lives of quiet desperation.
I see this as a contradiction. How can the masses be doomed to live out any kind of life if they are doomed to perish in a mass destruction?

You haven't rationally processed your feelings about the humanity from which you claim you have extricated yourself. You have read a lot books and quote passages left and right, but you have not made their contents yours in any cohesive manner. They have created in you a network of conflicting anxieties.

There may indeed be a select few. No disrespect intended, Bob, but unless you are the one doing the selecting, I suggest you buy Flood insurance.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

cousinbasil wrote:There may indeed be a select few. No disrespect intended, Bob, but unless you are the one doing the selecting, I suggest you buy Flood insurance.
Priceless.

FedEx that man a baker's dozen oatmeal raisin cookies with added pecans.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

movingalways wrote: Nietzsche fell into the same trap as many philosophers, that is, that he realized man's purpose was to transcend the condition of his manhood, but was not willing to absolutely transcend this condition.
Nietzsche might have replied that you fell into the same trap as many wanna-not-be thinkers: to believe one can transcend ones condition. His urge was to take it on, strip it from alien, slave-like additions and live ones condition out wholeheartedly. A good advice, and not just for the wise.

Did you know the full title of "Zarathustra" is "Also sprach Zarathustra. Ein Buch für Alle und Keinen". Which translates to either:
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for Everyone and No One.
or I think it translates way more accurate as:
  • Well spoke Zarathustra: a book for all and nothing
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Tomas wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:There may indeed be a select few. No disrespect intended, Bob, but unless you are the one doing the selecting, I suggest you buy Flood insurance.
Priceless.

FedEx that man a baker's dozen oatmeal raisin cookies with added pecans.
How did you know I am allergic to pecans?
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

cousinbasil wrote:I know you think I am missing your point because I choose to use reason and perhaps lack that rare genuine compassion which you also think you possess. But indulge me.

You divide humanity into two camps. The chosen few, and everyone else. Some of the chosen few get to board the Ark. The rest will presumably perish alongside of the rest of mankind in this inevitable Armageddon.

Then you continue on: "The huge multitude who are doomed to live out empty, but considerably destructive, lives of quiet desperation."

I see this as a contradiction. How can the masses be doomed to live out any kind of life if they are doomed to perish in a mass destruction?
I was speaking here of the masses ("huge multitude") who are doomed to live out empty, but considerably destructive, lives of quiet desperation 'presently', just as they have been doing in the past. Much like Thoreau observed some 150 years ago when he said, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Though he failed to mention the destructive nature of those lives lived as such. Which is important as it's vital to leading to the impending and necessary Armageddon. Or "the abomination that maketh desolate.
cousinbasil wrote:You haven't rationally processed your feelings about the humanity from which you claim you have extricated yourself. You have read a lot books and quote passages left and right, but you have not made their contents yours in any cohesive manner.
Reading and quoting others with 'understanding' is the key to it all. Though again it must all begin with the radical shift in consciousness and deeply penetrating 'SELF-understanding'. For instance, Nietzsche said that it was very likely there was no one alive in his time that could understand him or his books. He may very well have been correct. And the same thing may even hold true for today, save at least for myself. As I carry on in his light.
cousinbasil wrote:They have created in you a network of conflicting anxieties. There may indeed be a select few. No disrespect intended, Bob, but unless you are the one doing the selecting, I suggest you buy Flood insurance.
Anxiety here is a thing of the past. All of life's many paradoxes and ambiguities are clearly understood. Whatever will be will be. And it will be the truth that will do the selecting. And "flood insurance" won't cover the vast destruction that will be inflicted by nuclear weapons.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Bob Michael wrote:Anxiety here is a thing of the past. All of life's many paradoxes and ambiguities are clearly understood. Whatever will be will be. And it will be the truth that will do the selecting. And "flood insurance" won't cover the vast destruction that will be inflicted by nuclear weapons.
It's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a poor man to survive a nuclear holocaust, don't you think?
Bob Michael wrote:I think Nietzsche came the closest of all of them to turning over all the stones.
All of them? And mountains and all?
Bob Michael wrote:Reading and quoting others with 'understanding' is the key to it all. Though again it must all begin with the radical shift in consciousness and deeply penetrating 'SELF-understanding'. For instance, Nietzsche said that it was very likely there was no one alive in his time that could understand him or his books. He may very well have been correct. And the same thing may even hold true for today, save at least for myself. As I carry on in his light.
How much do you think that he understood his own failure? If he did.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Bob Michael wrote:I was speaking here of the masses ("huge multitude") who are doomed to live out empty, but considerably destructive, lives of quiet desperation 'presently', just as they have been doing in the past. Much like Thoreau observed some 150 years ago when he said, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."
My point is that such people lived out their lives 150 years ago. Most such people alive today will live out their lives the same way, as will most such people 150 years hence. "The poor will always be with us."
Reading and quoting others with 'understanding' is the key to it all. Though again it must all begin with the radical shift in consciousness and deeply penetrating 'SELF-understanding'. For instance, Nietzsche said that it was very likely there was no one alive in his time that could understand him or his books. He may very well have been correct. And the same thing may even hold true for today, save at least for myself. As I carry on in his light.
I am not saying you do not understand what you read. I'm sure you do. But if you deeply understood yourself, you would sound a bit more compassionate about others. Granted, this is an opinion - after all, I only "know" you from what you say here and I am counting on that being truthful expression.
Anxiety here is a thing of the past. All of life's many paradoxes and ambiguities are clearly understood. Whatever will be will be. And it will be the truth that will do the selecting. And "flood insurance" won't cover the vast destruction that will be inflicted by nuclear weapons.
If you deeply believe a Nuclear Reckoning is imminent you wouldn't be anxiety-free. There's a difference between knowing Armageddon is physically possible, which includes everyone raised from the 1950's on, and being certain it is going to happen. Just as the fire-bombing of Tokyo and the nuclear destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki did not single out the spiritually or morally corrupt and hopeless, any possible conflagration now would be just as indiscriminate. I see by your quote you missed my little joke: "Flood" insurance is capitalized to give it a Biblical connotation to match your "Ark" references.

BTW, doesn't this just lead credence to my point? Of course no insurance can cover Nuclear Armageddon. Just as no Ark can ride it out. Do you think people die in wars because they haven't read and understood Nietzsche?

It is your very insistence on the Ark idea that gives me the impression that you lack a basic compassion. I do not think it is possible to deeply understand oneself and at the same time to distance oneself from the masses to the point of fantasizing about sailing away from them as they are consumed by fire. I'm not sure I even grasp which metaphor you are using, fire or water.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-cousinbasil in response to bob-
I'm not sure I even grasp which metaphor you are using, fire or water.

-tomas-
Both in Bob's case. The fire is in the lightning bolts of hurricane Irene (which translated means Peace) and the resulting rain (water) of Irene. Get that Ark ready, Bob, even at Reading, Pennsylvaina the tide is gonna sweep the the evil-doers away.

The earthquake (underground nuclear explosion set off by the CIA ditto the one in Colorado the day before near the new CIA headquarters) was the sounding of the alarm (or the door slamming on the Ark)... the watchers are ready in Reading. Did you get in before The Door closed?

In U.S., first evacuation orders go out ahead of strengthening Hurricane Irene. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/us- ... -out-ahead

tomas

cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Bob Michael wrote:My age has been of some concern to me from time to time over the past few years. But here of late it's not been of any importance. I'm in good health and feel I have at least 10 good years left in me. And even of the body should deteriorate my mind is sharp and clear, which is the key to it all. So I've got plenty of time to build and people the Ark.
None of ever get any younger, my friend. You raise an interesting point, though. Peopling an Ark is not your everyday endeavor. There has to be some process by which the chosen few are selected. I may be going out on a limb here, but would you by any chance be the person that chairs this process? Likewise this Ark - whatever form it ultimately takes - will require labor and materials and coordination and of course money. How far gave you thought this through?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Bob,
It looks like you think we are a bunch of separate little 'onenesses' hanging about in a miserable condition waiting to be stamped as either rejected or approved.
like a cattle muster.

You've got yourself spooked.
In your spookedness you're trying to spook everyone else.
You'd be no good on a cattle drive,
You'd have the cattle on a perpetual stampede.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Bobo wrote:It's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a poor man to survive a nuclear holocaust, don't you think?
Nuclear armaments don't discriminate.
Bobo wrote:All of them? And mountains and all?
Had Nietzsche's truths been understood they would have moved mountains. But as it stands all the mountains remain where they always were.
Bobo wrote:How much do you think that he (Nietzsche) understood his own failure? If he did.
I'll let you be the judge:

"But some day, in a stronger age than this decaying, self-doubting present, he must yet come to us, the redeeming man of great love and contempt, the creative spirit whose compelling strength will not let him rest in any aloofness or any beyond, whose isolation is misunderstood by the people as if it were flight from reality--while it is only his absorption, immersion, penetration into reality, so that, when he one day emerges again into the light, he may bring home the redemption of this reality; its redemption from the curse that the hitherto reigning ideal has laid upon it. This man of the future, who will redeem us not only from the hitherto reigning ideal but also from that which was bound to grow out of it, nihilism; this Antichrist and antinihilist, this victor over God and nothingness--he must come one day." (Nietzsche)

Compare with:

".....He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and 'greater works' than these shall he do; because I go to the Father." (Christ)
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Bob Michael wrote:Nuclear armaments don't discriminate.
Truth does. And it is more likely to choose some insects and bacteria over humans.
Bob Michael wrote:I'll let you be the judge:

"But some day, in a stronger age than this decaying, self-doubting present, he must yet come to us, the redeeming man of great love and contempt, the creative spirit whose compelling strength will not let him rest in any aloofness or any beyond, whose isolation is misunderstood by the people as if it were flight from reality--while it is only his absorption, immersion, penetration into reality, so that, when he one day emerges again into the light, he may bring home the redemption of this reality; its redemption from the curse that the hitherto reigning ideal has laid upon it. This man of the future, who will redeem us not only from the hitherto reigning ideal but also from that which was bound to grow out of it, nihilism; this Antichrist and antinihilist, this victor over God and nothingness--he must come one day." (Nietzsche)

Compare with:

".....He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and 'greater works' than these shall he do; because I go to the Father." (Christ)
Both are playing the prophet. But there's no evidence for it, imo.

(Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do...)
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Nietzsche: "But some day, in a stronger age than this decaying, self-doubting present, he must yet come to us, the redeeming man of great love and contempt, the creative spirit whose compelling strength will not let him rest in any aloofness or any beyond, whose isolation is misunderstood by the people as if it were flight from reality--while it is only his absorption, immersion, penetration into reality, so that, when he one day emerges again into the light, he may bring home the redemption of this reality; its redemption from the curse that the hitherto reigning ideal has laid upon it. This man of the future, who will redeem us not only from the hitherto reigning ideal but also from that which was bound to grow out of it, nihilism; this Antichrist and antinihilist, this victor over God and nothingness--he must come one day".
To turn against that 'self-doubt' is to turn AGAINST the attractive sense of the inevitablity of this nuclear event. Such an event would, I think, pretty much wipe out life as we know it, and would represent such a destruction in our present that, in truth, we might not recover from it. To turn away from the 'decay' Nietzsche writes about would be to come INTO the present in a new way, as an unencumbered agent, and would mean rejecting such a 'decayed' view as Bob constantly puts forward. Bob in this strict sense articulates precisely the 'decay' Nietzsche struggled against. That decay is a terrible yet deeply attractive cynicism! To 'emerge into the light' must be to come into life in a new way and, possibly, to become unconcerned about the death that always hovers over it, aloof to it. Bringing 'redemption of this reality' would be a rejection of the death-tendencies in that decayed religion, which Bob (with all respects of course) seems quite invested in! Bob, aren't you the very essence of a 'nihilist'?
fiat mihi
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

movingalways wrote:
Belief in "will to power" is belief in that the human mind is the origin or cause of will. It is not. Ergo, Nietzsche could not provide the wisdom that would truly take man beyond man.
Bob Michael: Nietzsche had a far more deeply penetrating self-knowledge and observational wisdom then most enlightened men, but he lacked total self-knowledge and 'experiential' wisdom, which are absolutely necessary in order to develop the right approach for the task. Nor did he realize that self-overcoming was only possible for a relatively few people or the reason for this fact. Which are the same reasons that all the heretofore philosophers, gurus, godmen, world teachers, etc. failed in the adventure.
Why put up this boundary of "only possible for a relatively few?"
movingalways wrote:
Nietzsche fell into the same trap as many philosophers, that is, that he realized man's purpose was to transcend the condition of his manhood, but was not willing to absolutely transcend this condition. This is why when he speaks of what will be when man overcomes man, "the end," he has to use a term that includes the concept of man, that of "overman."
Bob Michael: It was not his 'unwillingness' to transcend the condition of his manhood, he was incapable of doing so. For the reasons stated above.
It is ignorance that prevents a man from overcoming his manhood, this is true, but ignorance is married to pride, to ego, the veil of darkness that stands in the way of being unconditioned.
movingalways wrote:
Nietzsche's spirit was being guided in the right direction, that of transcendence, but when he hit the ceiling of the human mind, he encountered a problem: he had no vision, no language for what That was transcendent to the human mind, so he simply applied a human term to "That." Which was why he put forth a philosophy that he himself could not realize.

Bob Michael:
Nietzsche, like so many, was too cowardly to live and develop into fullness of manhood in the real world, which is where it must be done. Though to his credit he wasn't a freeloader or a parasite on society like another brilliant-minded (genius no less) fellow we know who claims to have ultimate wisdom and deep insights into the nature of the human condition. Oh yes.....and the nature of women too.
Bob, there is only one condition, and it is transcendent to both the male condition and the female condition, and that is the condition of belief in being born, which leads to the belief in death.
movingalways wrote:
His Will to power = illusion, delusion, suffering, error.

Bob Michael: If the "human, all-too-human" 'self' is totally absent, or fully transcended, then these 'Wills' are both equally valid and positively rewarding.
To believe in the reality of two wills is to believe in the reality of two Consciousness' or two Awareness'. There is only one Will in truth, only one Consciousness, only one Awareness; belief in two is the reason why man cannot transcend his belief in dualism, his manhood and his womanhood.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
movingalways wrote: Nietzsche fell into the same trap as many philosophers, that is, that he realized man's purpose was to transcend the condition of his manhood, but was not willing to absolutely transcend this condition.
Nietzsche might have replied that you fell into the same trap as many wanna-not-be thinkers: to believe one can transcend ones condition. His urge was to take it on, strip it from alien, slave-like additions and live ones condition out wholeheartedly. A good advice, and not just for the wise.

Did you know the full title of "Zarathustra" is "Also sprach Zarathustra. Ein Buch für Alle und Keinen". Which translates to either:
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for Everyone and No One.
or I think it translates way more accurate as:
  • Well spoke Zarathustra: a book for all and nothing
Since Nietzsche went insane, he was not enlightened. Therefore, whether he believed it was possible to transcend one's condition or not is a moot point.

If Zarathustra was a book for all and nothing, then it is not a book for conditioning, for conditioning is of the collective self's belief in the solidness/reality of some thing.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Talking Ass wrote:
Nietzsche: "But some day, in a stronger age than this decaying, self-doubting present, he must yet come to us, the redeeming man of great love and contempt, the creative spirit whose compelling strength will not let him rest in any aloofness or any beyond, whose isolation is misunderstood by the people as if it were flight from reality--while it is only his absorption, immersion, penetration into reality, so that, when he one day emerges again into the light, he may bring home the redemption of this reality; its redemption from the curse that the hitherto reigning ideal has laid upon it. This man of the future, who will redeem us not only from the hitherto reigning ideal but also from that which was bound to grow out of it, nihilism; this Antichrist and antinihilist, this victor over God and nothingness--he must come one day".
To turn against that 'self-doubt' is to turn AGAINST the attractive sense of the inevitablity of this nuclear event. Such an event would, I think, pretty much wipe out life as we know it, and would represent such a destruction in our present that, in truth, we might not recover from it. To turn away from the 'decay' Nietzsche writes about would be to come INTO the present in a new way, as an unencumbered agent, and would mean rejecting such a 'decayed' view as Bob constantly puts forward. Bob in this strict sense articulates precisely the 'decay' Nietzsche struggled against. That decay is a terrible yet deeply attractive cynicism! To 'emerge into the light' must be to come into life in a new way and, possibly, to become unconcerned about the death that always hovers over it, aloof to it. Bringing 'redemption of this reality' would be a rejection of the death-tendencies in that decayed religion, which Bob (with all respects of course) seems quite invested in! Bob, aren't you the very essence of a 'nihilist'?
To be an unencumbered agent is not simply to be unafraid of death, but to be realized of the truth that death is an illusion, as birth is an illusion. Such a spirit need not think of decay or nihilism or any human philosophy based on this illusory belief; he need only be aware of removing whatever condition stands in the way of his Pure Spirit Movement of I Am.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Frankly, I must confess (so confessionally), I have often found myself in the midst of the perception or the knowledge (or the eternally recurring fantasy?) that there is no birth or death nor is there really (this) existence, but that through some rather terrible, but also very humorous and ironic magic (or sorcery?) of perception, we are all forced to imagine ourselves occurring in this strange theatre known as life. It is the grand (and terrible) trick played on us by God, for reasons no one really seems to be able to fathom. Is it that the Grand Being (Sat) simply has too much time on His hands? That he must invent not one not two but billions---an infinite number---of 'worlds' in which beings, moths of separate consciousness that in truth cannot become separate, who through their dreaming imagination, participate in fleshy worldliness? Oh and that fleshy stuff: so sensitive, so biological, so secretious, so bloody, so eatable.

As Captain Beefheart wrote:
  • Lucid tenacles test 'n sleeved
    'n joined 'n jointed jade pointed
    Diamond back patterns
    Neon meate dream of a octafish
    Artifact on rose petals
    'n flesh petals 'n pots
    Fack 'n feast 'n tubes tubs bulbs
    In jest incest injest injust in feast incest
    'n specks 'n spreckled spreckled
    Speckled speculation
    Fedlocks waddlin' feast
    Archaic faces frenzy
    Ceramic fists artificial deceased
    'n cists rancid buds burst
    Dank drum 'n dung dust
    Meate rose 'n hairs
    meaty dream wet meate
    Limp damp rows
    Peeled 'n felt fields 'n belts
    Impaled on 'n daeman
    Mucus mules
    Twat trot tra la tra la
    Tra la tra la tra la
    Whale bone fields 'n belts
    Whale bone farmhouse
    Cavorts girdled 'n latters uh lite
    Cavorts girdled 'n latters uh lite
    Uh dipped amidst
    Squirmin' serum 'n semen 'n syrup 'n semen
    'n serum
    Stirrupped in syrup
    Neon meate dream of a octafish.

(Or, listen to it here.)
The vision of the longing for the flesh world, the thump of the heart, the racing heart, the soul drawn to incarnation through a longing for materialization, which really does boil down to: a deep-set attraction for voluptuousness, endless cock and pussy, mad sexual dreams, happy happy endings, the long seminal story, les histoires de cue sans fin, babies curled up next the the hearth of a beating heart, the motherly voice through the flesh, the false security, the flesh imagining.

Still, even if all that is true, and in the face of that truth isn't the only REAL response a surrender of the body, the 'falling away of the body' as the Hindus say? The desire not to live (in this plane). That when the real fact and truth actually hits home like the final arrow (in the flesh) that all desire for the masquerade falls away, which in the final analysis means that all desire to uphold one's flesh existence ceases...
  • ...and like a snowflake
    falling
    onto a lake
    one simply
    melts back into
    Original and Eternal Being?
But no. NO! One 'must' remain alive, mustn't one? (YES!) And in chosing to live one must perform one's role, mustn't one? And one must perform one's role not in imitation of the dying of Christ (a false perception?) but through real, adventurous, unrestrained living, the ascension of Christ? I always felt that was what Nietzsche was getting at: the furious need to live really.
fiat mihi
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

cousinbasil wrote:My point is that such people lived out their lives 150 years ago. Most such people alive today will live out their lives the same way, as will most such people 150 years hence. "The poor will always be with us."
I'm not speaking of the economically poor, but the psychophysiologically poor. Those with hopelessly botched neuological faculties. Those who are constitutionally incapable of attaining to enlightenment or fullness of human being. Which makeup a huge portion of the human species.
cousinbasil wrote:I am not saying you do not understand what you read. I'm sure you do. But if you deeply understood yourself, you would sound a bit more compassionate about others. Granted, this is an opinion - after all, I only "know" you from what you say here and I am counting on that being truthful expression.
Let's just say here that no greater compassion (and understanding) has he than he who lays down his life for his fellows, and leave it at that.
cousinbasil wrote:If you deeply believe a Nuclear Reckoning is imminent you wouldn't be anxiety-free. There's a difference between knowing Armageddon is physically possible, which includes everyone raised from the 1950's on, and being certain it is going to happen. Just as the fire-bombing of Tokyo and the nuclear destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki did not single out the spiritually or morally corrupt and hopeless, any possible conflagration now would be just as indiscriminate.
Agreed. And many of the 'elect' will perish along with the non-elect.
cousinbasil wrote:Do you think people die in wars because they haven't read and understood Nietzsche?
No, it's because the human species is at an evolutionary stuck point of being "human, all too human". Consequently man remains a work in progress. And because of this the multitude will never understand Nietzsche, or Christ either for that matter. Who also failed to find the right approach for developing 'real disciples' or 'free spirits'.
cousinbasil wrote:It is your very insistence on the Ark idea that gives me the impression that you lack a basic compassion. I do not think it is possible to deeply understand oneself and at the same time to distance oneself from the masses to the point of fantasizing about sailing away from them as they are consumed by fire. I'm not sure I even grasp which metaphor you are using, fire or water.
The Ark will not be a boat or a ship but a community of awakened or enlightened souls set up in a geographical location that will be unaffected by an all out nuclear holocaust.
cousinbasil wrote:None of us ever get any younger, my friend. You raise an interesting point though. Peopling an Ark is not your everyday endeavor. There has to be a process by which the chosen few are selected. I may be going out on a limb here, but would by any chance be the person thsat chsairs this process? Likewise this Ark - whatever form it ultimately yakes - will require labor and materials and coordination and of course money. How far have you thought this through?
I will lead the adventure, though it will be the truth that actually governs the project. And one-day-at-a-time it will unfold and flower of itself.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Bobo wrote:
Bob Michael wrote:Nuclear armaments don't discriminate.
Truth does. And it is more likely to choose some insects and bacteria over humans.
Some humans will survive.

Bobo wrote:
Bob Michael wrote:I'll let you be the judge:

Compare with:

Both are playing the prophet. But there's no evidence for it, imo.
As I see it both men were also admitting they failed to bring any light into the world in a collective manner.
Diebert van Rhijn

movingalways wrote:Since Nietzsche went insane, he was not enlightened. Therefore, whether he believed it was possible to transcend one's condition or not is a moot point.
There's a good case to be made that his affection was entirely stroke related (like some hereditary stroke disorder). This possibility might lead you to the simple question: would a stroke, a dementia or Alzheimer - or just someone hitting the subject on the head with a heavy object, somehow disqualify a person from being (or ever having been) enlightened. Just try the thought experiment, as a little - much needed - exercise!
Diebert van Rhijn

Talking Ass wrote:
Ah, the Ass brays again!

There are some other, less philosophical ways this passage from Nietzsche might be read. Upon close reading one might see this is not philosophy but a cultural-psychological text, like so much of Nietzsche's subject. The death of God (on the cross, in the church, by the priestly type) is the death of future, the annihilation of horizons, as in Horus/Horemakhet. Humanity being often described by the man as bridge, as something to overcome, to speak of the Ubermensch, of what comes after, to speak of setting sail to "new horizons": "although the horizon is not clear, it seems clear enough for our ships to set sail again and venture out towards new perils: the sea of knowledge is re-opening itself to new pioneers; maybe the open sea has never offered so many new promises" (the Gay Science).

This we could call a basic religious element in Nietzsche's longing, the need he saw for new perils to sail towards to. While the main Christian horizon was always centered around the after-life and the finality of redemption and forgiveness ("now) and being saved ("soon enough"), while helping ones neighbors "in sight", there's a deeper human functioning behind this though: one being in need of a future, a hope, a seductive, deceptive type of expectation to power the engines of heart and mind. It's the real secret of youth of course...

The decay and the nihilism, one century after Nietzsche, appears to have affected also the nature of the horizon. The horizon itself has faded, has become unbearably near to us. The next thing, the next year, the next job. In the up and coming nations one still can see the hope for improvement, economically, in status, through ones offspring. But in the nations where modernity has flourished into achieving "utopia" to some extent, that horizon has lost meaning as well. Only remains of faith, in progress, change, angels or Christ, like conceptual toys, keep drawing us in, becoming less convincing by the minute. Cynicism and atheism are the necessary worms to finish this trembling mirage.

Of course we still have the "spectacle" in the sense of Guy Debord, and even he appears to see possibilities to counter this "spectacular" alienation, to regain autonomy and sovereignty somehow, which seems to be also the mission of many preachers around these premises. But the prophet of nihilism will, no, has to point out this hope is passé , nothing more than a clinging to some old shadow. Nihilism has now changed fundamentally time itself: the horizon for real and imaginary events. And by changing that base line, everything attached has to shift with it. That way nihilism enables the decline of meaning, the decline of the ability to signify outside ones private boundaries ("idiocy") unless one grabs and drifts with some of the remains around us. For a short while.