Psychedelics Anonymous

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Glostik91

Psychedelics Anonymous

Post by Glostik91 »

Hello my name is...

I have used psychedelics to enter hallucinogenic states. I think more people should. It would rip them from their teeny tiny world of norms and cast them into the universe where the earth is nothing more than a pale blue dot. It would give people perspective and hopefully open them up to other points of view and an explanation of the truth.

This seems fitting - "If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed." - Terence Mckenna

What's your view of psychedelics?
a gutter rat looking at stars
Cory Duchesne

Re: Psychedelics Anonymous

Post by Cory Duchesne »

The value of psychedelics depends on the quality and intent of the user. It can open up the intellect to highly alien and wonderful perspectives, giving glimmers of significant insight. But without a serious undertaking of philosophy and psychology, aspiring to resolve all fundamental problems, these drugs do little to improve ones character, and any insight provided, tends to be focused on what, in the big picture, are paltry details. In my case, 8 years of abstinence where I did almost nothing but think, study, sit alone, and work jobs was as important as my earlier and more recent experiments with psychedelics. Psychedelics alone are a trap and a crutch, they will not improve your character and because the psychedelic experience is so magical, the drug experiences more than often leads to increased delusion, rather than heightened awareness.

Terrence McKenna was an eloquent, interesting and humorous man, but ultimately I found him rather criminal, pandering to the superficial interests of a very flaky audience. McKenna enjoyed the attention of his flock, they gave him the attention and adulation I think he spent his life looking for and grew to need... like a drug.
Tomas

Drug Rehab Annoyances

Post by Tomas »

-Glow Stick-
Hello my name is...

-tomas-
What's happenin', Mr DEA man?

-Glow Stick-
I have used psychedelics to enter hallucinogenic states.

-tomas-
Well goody for you!

-Glow Stick-
I think more people should.

-tomas-
Do you suggest it be added to the city water supply?

-Glow Stick-
It would rip them from their teeny tiny world of norms and cast them into the universe where the earth is nothing more than a pale blue dot.

-tomas-
Take it easy there, Dealer McDope. You in a world of shit? Reality is but a plaything for you?

-Glow Stick-
It would give people perspective and hopefully open them up to other points of view and an explanation of the truth.

-tomas-
Hopefully? Wow, you are way so very deep, man. An explanation of 'the truth'?

Wooo, are you a second cousin to Charles Manson? He fed his followers LSD and it sure turned out good for them - three square meals and bunkmates that finger their asses every single night. Seventh heaven, here we come!

-Glow Stick-
This seems fitting - "If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed." - Terence Mckenna

-tomas-
Enough already of this quoting other people's drivel. What do you understand?

-Glow Stick-

-tomas-
Are you offering freebies?
Don't run to your death
alphaeg

Post by alphaeg »

Its funny how a mans outlook on life can completely make or break him.

Thinking of life in terms of how insignificant and small it may be; is rather pointless. I know of no life forms that are so completely massive our planet is indeed nothing but a tiny blue dot to him.

And in the event such a species existed; I could still give a shit less.

I was born a human being and I'm going to live as a human being. I will not deflate my ego and consider it insignificant for the sake of being enlightened as the general populace of this forum claims to be.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

For some people they would be a good catalyst to improve their imagination - christians, politicans, academics etc. Drugs do have a tendency to lead one to a disrespect of authority.

Drug use was quite common amongst the Greeks and Romans and the Magi. We might not have had democracy if it were not for Greek drug use. http://dissidentvoice.org/2009/09/drugs ... he-greeks/

Dangerous territory though - most psychedelic users I met have all have mental issues later on. Too much use and their brains get quite confused, they become illogical, inconsistent. They lose it - too much entertainment and not enough concentrated thinking.

Without moderation, all drugs end up being demotivators.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Cory Duchesne wrote: Psychedelics alone are a trap and a crutch, they will not improve your character and because the psychedelic experience is so magical, the drug experiences more than often leads to increased delusion, rather than heightened awareness.
Have you heard of ibogaine? It has the ability to reduce or eliminate an addiction to opiates.

What about DMT? If someone is wholeheartedly against the mystical and spirituality then certainly DMT would cause them to open their mind and admit that they could be wrong about god.
Glostik91

Re: Drug Rehab Annoyances

Post by Glostik91 »

Tomas wrote: -tomas-
Do you suggest it be added to the city water supply?
No, of course not. It should be administered by a trusted Shaman.
-tomas-
Hopefully? Wow, you are way so very deep, man. An explanation of 'the truth'?
Not a full explanation of course, but yes.
-Glow Stick-

-tomas-
Enough already of this quoting other people's drivel. What do you understand?
Wisdom begins in wonder.
-Socrates
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

alphaeg wrote:Its funny how a mans outlook on life can completely make or break him.

Thinking of life in terms of how insignificant and small it may be; is rather pointless. I know of no life forms that are so completely massive our planet is indeed nothing but a tiny blue dot to him.

And in the event such a species existed; I could still give a shit less.

I was born a human being and I'm going to live as a human being. I will not deflate my ego and consider it insignificant for the sake of being enlightened as the general populace of this forum claims to be.
Considering your ego to be insignificant is just as egotistic as doing the opposite.

Certainly, if you were born a human then live like a human. This of course begs the question - what does it mean to be human?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Jamesh wrote:What's your view of psychedelics?

For some people they would be a good catalyst to improve their imagination - christians, politicans, academics etc. Drugs do have a tendency to lead one to a disrespect of authority.

Drug use was quite common amongst the Greeks and Romans and the Magi. We might not have had democracy if it were not for Greek drug use. http://dissidentvoice.org/2009/09/drugs ... he-greeks/

Dangerous territory though - most psychedelic users I met have all have mental issues later on. Too much use and their brains get quite confused, they become illogical, inconsistent. They lose it - too much entertainment and not enough concentrated thinking.

Without moderation, all drugs end up being demotivators.
I once fantasized about slipping a pastor of a local church some DMT and see what would happen. Ha!, maybe a new prophet would be born! (I'm not going to do it.)

Fascinating article. Perhaps drugs did influence the early Greeks in their philosophy and politics. Interesting that they wouldn't publish his thesis though.

Yeah, I have found that calm meditation after such a drug induced episode would certainly focus one's mind better.
Tomas

Day Tripper

Post by Tomas »

-Glow Stick-
I once fantasized about slipping a pastor of a local church some DMT and see what would happen. Ha!, maybe a new prophet would be born! (I'm not going to do it.)

-tomas-
Put arsenic to better use and incorporate some into the bread dough and then bake some communion wafers. The local priest will then bless it .. see if his 'magical divinations' then turn it into the body of christ.

-Glow Stick-
Fascinating article. Perhaps drugs did influence the early Greeks in their philosophy and politics. Interesting that they wouldn't publish his thesis though.

-tomas-
Due to a lingering drought, papyrus was in short supply.

-Glow Stick-
Yeah, I have found that calm meditation after such a drug induced episode would certainly focus one's mind better.

-tomas-
Even better after an 8-hour nap.

PS - Getting lost along the way.

Don't run to your death
Blair

Post by Blair »

Funny thing Tomas, it's never been clear whether you are fanatically in favor of drugs or violently opposed to them..