The last throes of life.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
uncledote

The last throes of life.

Post by uncledote »

Existential dilemma

My father is seriously ill in hospital - too old to undergoe much more treatment.

Should I take on another job and raise money to send him on a trip (if he does have any time left in this life) or should I detach further and continue contemplating the ultimate nature of reality?
jufa

Re: The last throes of life.

Post by jufa »

uncledote wrote:Existential dilemma

My father is seriously ill in hospital - too old to undergoe much more treatment.

Should I take on another job and raise money to send him on a trip (if he does have any time left in this life) or should I detach further and continue contemplating the ultimate nature of reality?
You should do what is right!

What is the right thing to do that will not make your soul cry out in anguish?

Do the right thing!

Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

If he is seriously ill, what kind of trip could be suitable?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Is that even what he wants?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Perhaps he would prefer it if instead of spending more time toiling away at an extra job, you spent that time with him, discussing the ultimate nature of reality?
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

expose him to beauty locally, a walk on a local beach, or nature reserve, or pet store, infinity can be experienced in every blade of grass if one is attentive enough.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

I have four grown sons (ages 25-50). I am fully detached from them and they are living their own lives without any busybodyness on my part. And I am doing the same. Though in regard to their mothers (my exes) it's a different story. I made a vow to myself years ago that I will never be a burden to them or their lives when I grow old. If a person truly lives an unselfish and loving life that is dedicated to the Infinite during his brief visit here on the planet earth his dying should come easy. He may even help to peacefully and quietly hasten the event. But in our codependant world most people never overcome their enculturated self-centeredness and the need to lean on others (both psychologically and materially) in the whole of their lifetime. As a result when people get old, especially, they're very often nothing but a burden to society and other people. While they often die in all sorts of long and drawn out states of disrepair, which keeps the medical and healthcare people happy and their pocketbooks filled to the brim. Someday the human species will learn how to live (and die). Till then we'll have what we have. None of the animal species make such a song and a dance about dying like we humans do. I believe the Amish and the Mennonites on the whole are similarly very accepting and understanding of death.

"He who dies before he dies doesn't die when he dies." (A. U.)
paco

Post by paco »

Let go.
=)
I am illiterate
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

"Why do human beings die so miserably, so unhappily, with a disease, old age, senility, the body shrunk, ugly? Why can't they die naturally and as beautifully as this leaf? What is wrong with us? In spite of all the doctors, medicines and hospitals, operations and all the agony of life, and the pleasures too, we don't seem able to die with dignity, simplicity, and with a smile." (J.Krishnamurti)

"Many die too late, and some die too early. Yet strange soundeth the precept: 'Die at the right time!' Die at the right time: so teacheth Zarathustra." (Nietzsche)
paco

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
let go.
=)
I am illiterate
Sazar

Post by Sazar »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Perhaps he would prefer it if instead of spending more time toiling away at an extra job, you spent that time with him, discussing the ultimate nature of reality?
This.

Just be. Be with him, be yourself. Don't try to be all sentimental. Just be.
Talk about the infinite. Smoke a J with him for christs sakes.