The genius of Ted Kaczynski

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Gremln

The genius of Ted Kaczynski

Post by Gremln »

A lot of people know Ted Kaczynski a a murderer but I think that he is - by this site's definition of the term - a genius.
Some of my favorite quotes by him:

"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world."

"The terms 'negro,' 'oriental,' 'handicapped' or 'chick' for an African, an Asian, a disabled person or a woman originally had no derogatory connotation. 'Broad' and 'chick' were merely the feminine equivalents of 'guy,' 'dude' or 'fellow.' The negative connotations have been attached to these terms by the activists themselves."

"Feminists are desperately anxious to prove that women are as strong as capable as men. Clearly they are nagged by a fear that women may NOT be as strong and as capable as men."

"The leftist is antagonistic to the concept of competition because, deep inside, he feels like a loser."

"The moral code of our society is so demanding that no one can think, feel and act in a completely moral way."

"One of the most important means by which our society socializes children is by making them feel ashamed of behavior or speech that is contrary to society's expectations. If this is overdone, or if a particular child is especially susceptible to such feelings, he ends by feeling ashamed of HIMSELF. Moreover the thought and the behavior of the oversocialized person are more restricted by society's expectations than are those of the lightly socialized person."

"The conservatives are fools: They whine about the decay of traditional values, yet they enthusiastically support technological
progress and economic growth. Apparently it never occurs to them that you can't make rapid, drastic changes in the technology and the economy of a society with out causing rapid changes in all other aspects of the society as well, and that such rapid changes inevitably break down traditional values."

"As for the inevitability argument, if the developments you describe are inevitable, they are not inevitable in the way that old age and bad weather are inevitable."

"There is good reason to believe that primitive man suffered from less stressand frustration and was better satisfied with his way of life than modern man is."

http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur55.htm
http://www.montanaheritageproject.org/e ... bomber.htm
http://zinelibrary.info/files/The.Road_ ... zynski.pdf
jupiviv

Re: The genius of Ted Kaczynski

Post by jupiviv »

I can't agree that he is a genius, although he does have some interesting thoughts. I also can't help but compare this man's writings to the writings of another criminal minded "writer", Valerie Solanas. The difference between the criminality of these two people is quite gaping. Kaczynski is a masculine criminal. He has a clear goal, and clear reasons for having that goal, and a clear conception of how to get to that goal. He reminds me of Marquis de Sade.

Solanas, on the other hand, although quite masculine-minded as a biological woman, is clearly a feminine-minded criminal. She has a lot of anger, and that's the only thing she is really clear about.
Anders Schlander

Post by Anders Schlander »

Ted Kaczynski is actually, when I think of it, a bit like the solitary philosopher that has seen enough of life to make it seem retarded and in some ways atleast incredibly stupid and illogical, but still far too egotistically attached to becoming wise.

He makes some interesting points that however don't quite cut to the root...
abracadaver

Post by abracadaver »

Gremln wrote:A lot of people know Ted Kaczynski a a murderer but I think that he is - by this site's definition of the term - a genius.
Some of my favorite quotes by him:

"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world."

"The terms 'negro,' 'oriental,' 'handicapped' or 'chick' for an African, an Asian, a disabled person or a woman originally had no derogatory connotation. 'Broad' and 'chick' were merely the feminine equivalents of 'guy,' 'dude' or 'fellow.' The negative connotations have been attached to these terms by the activists themselves."

"Feminists are desperately anxious to prove that women are as strong as capable as men. Clearly they are nagged by a fear that women may NOT be as strong and as capable as men."

"The leftist is antagonistic to the concept of competition because, deep inside, he feels like a loser."

"The moral code of our society is so demanding that no one can think, feel and act in a completely moral way."

"One of the most important means by which our society socializes children is by making them feel ashamed of behavior or speech that is contrary to society's expectations. If this is overdone, or if a particular child is especially susceptible to such feelings, he ends by feeling ashamed of HIMSELF. Moreover the thought and the behavior of the oversocialized person are more restricted by society's expectations than are those of the lightly socialized person."

"The conservatives are fools: They whine about the decay of traditional values, yet they enthusiastically support technological
progress and economic growth. Apparently it never occurs to them that you can't make rapid, drastic changes in the technology and the economy of a society with out causing rapid changes in all other aspects of the society as well, and that such rapid changes inevitably break down traditional values."

"As for the inevitability argument, if the developments you describe are inevitable, they are not inevitable in the way that old age and bad weather are inevitable."

"There is good reason to believe that primitive man suffered from less stressand frustration and was better satisfied with his way of life than modern man is."
Absolutely and unequivocally Ted Kaczynski is a genius. Also, check out his book, Technological Slavery, on more of his insights and salient points.
abracadaver

Post by abracadaver »

jupiviv wrote:I can't agree that he is a genius, although he does have some interesting thoughts. I also can't help but compare this man's writings to the writings of another criminal minded "writer", Valerie Solanas. The difference between the criminality of these two people is quite gaping. Kaczynski is a masculine criminal. He has a clear goal, and clear reasons for having that goal, and a clear conception of how to get to that goal. He reminds me of Marquis de Sade.

Solanas, on the other hand, although quite masculine-minded as a biological woman, is clearly a feminine-minded criminal. She has a lot of anger, and that's the only thing she is really clear about.
Ted Kaczynski was accepted to Harvard University at the age of 16, which makes him a real-life "Doogie Howser." As a mathematical prodigy, he excelled under the tutelage of famed logician Willard Van Orman Quine, graduating at the top of his class; this makes him Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting. Moreover, his mathematical prowess was so high that other gifted mathematicians such as George Piranian couldn't figure out his meticulous analysis of "Boundary Functions." Kaczynski won the University of Michigan's Sumner B. Myers Prize, making him the school's best in mathematics that year. Finally, he was a professor at the prestigious University of California at Berkeley, the youngest professor ever to teach at that school. But for some reason—most likely your prejudice of him and his "Unabomber" actions—you "can't agree that he is a genius..." I guess you have very high—or actually delusional—standards. :)