Blessed are the poor in spirit

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Luke Breuer

Re: Blessed are the poor in spirit

Post by Luke Breuer »

Dennis Mahar wrote:you can't, there's nobody here.
Are you aware of how some of your statements are incomprehensible? The fact that you don’t even bother to properly capitalize makes me think you just don’t care a whole lot. If you’re going to pull a Gnostic card and say that if I cannot understand what you are saying, I will never understand, then my retort is thus: I don’t want into your club. I am well-aware that sometimes it takes multiple viewpoints, from multiple people, to properly communicate an idea.
what was the originating incident that set you seeking.
On Truth, p98-99 wrote:We learn that we are separate beings in the world, distinct from what is other than ourselves, by coming up against obstacles to the fulfillment of our intentions—that is, by running into opposition to the implementation of our will. When certain aspects of our experience fail to submit to our wishes, when they are on the contrary unyielding and even hostile to our interests, it then becomes clear to us that they are not parts of ourselves. We recognize that they are not under our direct and immediate control; instead, it becomes apparent that they are independent of us. That is the origin of our concept of reality, which is essentially a concept of what limits us, of what we cannot alter or control by the mere movement of our will.
My life has been filled more than many [in my socioeconomic bracket], with obstacles to the exertion of my will and proper self-introspection, especially of my emotions. I am attempting to overcome both of these problems via increased wisdom and the purification of my beliefs (and in particular, properly setting the amount of confidence I have in my beliefs).
Bob Michael wrote:By self-transparency I mean having the capacity to see through oneself which is to be totally free of all of one's false parental and societal conditioning, which would leave one a fully authentic and autonomous human being. Perhaps one might say a pure spirit.
Have you thoughts about Descartes?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Are you aware of how some of your statements are incomprehensible?
incomprehensible to who exactly?
your conditioning?
The fact that you don’t even bother to properly capitalize makes me think you just don’t care a whole lot.
who makes you think that?
your conditioning?
If you’re going to pull a Gnostic card and say that if I cannot understand what you are saying, I will never understand, then my retort is thus: I don’t want into your club. I am well-aware that sometimes it takes multiple viewpoints, from multiple people, to properly communicate an idea.
who are you being?
a conditioned reflex?
My life has been filled more than many [in my socioeconomic bracket], with obstacles to the exertion of my will and proper self-introspection, especially of my emotions. I am attempting to overcome both of these problems via increased wisdom and the purification of my beliefs (and in particular, properly setting the amount of confidence I have in my beliefs).
I wanted the incident, not the story.

What's a belief?
Luke Breuer

Post by Luke Breuer »

I'm sorry Dennis Mahar, but your preconception of me seems too incorrect and intractable; I don't see any value in our continuing this conversation. My conditioning to expect reasoned, supported debate appears to be incompatible with how you think, or at least how you converse.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

My conditioning to expect reasoned, supported debate
Is that equipment?
Say,
like a steamroller,
and you're up in the seat,
steering left, then right.

Where's it going?
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Luke Breuer wrote:Have you thoughts about Descartes?
No, I've never examined him or his works.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

movingalways: The original post in this thread is about Eckhart's doctrine of poverty of spirit, wherein a man is stripped even of his idea of will, whether it be of his own, or of God's.

Luke Breuer:
There is a world of difference between having one’s own idea of “will” change, and having anything that could be called one’s own will, disappear. Eckhart appeared to be arguing for the latter.
Eckhart is speaking of nothing short of a radical disappearance not only of one's own will, [your words] but of the idea of will, period. Those who believe themselves reborn often speak of 'doing God's will', and although they may believe, from the depth of their soul that they are indeed God's 'messenger on earth', this is not the death philosophy of Eckhart, which is the subject of this thread.
movingalways: Where there is no will, there can be no birth/re-birth
Luke Breuer: Are you disagreeing with Bob Michael when he claims that re-birth is important?
There is no doubt in my mind that rebirth [within the creature emanation] is important to the individual experiencing rebirth. But again, this is not what the core teaching of this thread is about. It is about poverty of spirit, of breaking through the circle idea of birth itself. When I first read the original post in this thread, I was thrilled to see such depth of 'radical' or 'dangerous' wisdom posted on this board. Talk about a thinking man's mindfield! Rare is a mind such as Eckhart's who truly knows what to be crucified as Jesus was crucified, entails. And because of this rarity of brutal, loving wisdom that is Eckhart's of the death of the male/female ego [the creature emanation], my intent is to keep the spirit of this message of brutal love alive in this thread.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

movingalways wrote:Rare is a mind such as Eckhart's who truly knows what to be crucified as Jesus was crucified, entails.
Mankind will be redeemed by a 'glorified body' and not by a crucified body, or even a 1000 crucified bodies for that matter. History clearly reveals this fact. Eckhart's teachings are just as dead as Christ's teachings have become so far as them ever being truly instrumental in leading others to a 'New Life'.
jufa

Post by jufa »

Bob Michael wrote:
movingalways wrote:Rare is a mind such as Eckhart's who truly knows what to be crucified as Jesus was crucified, entails.
Mankind will be redeemed by a 'glorified body' and not by a crucified body, or even a 1000 crucified bodies for that matter. History clearly reveals this fact. Eckhart's teachings are just as dead as Christ's teachings have become so far as them ever being truly instrumental in leading others to a 'New Life'.
History reveals the flesh man cannot "be redeemed by a 'glorified body' and not by a crucified body, or even a 1000 crucified bodies for that matter." History does not reveal, however, "mortality must be swallowed up of life," and not life of the flesh man or his mentality. "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh. . .for if you live after the flesh [human interpretation is living after the flesh], ye shall die, but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with
our spirit, that we are the children of God;
and if children, then heirs, heirs of God,
and joint-heirs with Christ, if so be that we
suffer with him, that we may be also
glorified together. For I reckon that the
sufferings of this present time are not
worthy to be compared with the glory
which shall be revealed in us."

(Rom.8:16-18)

There are no messages given by men, no human philosophies, religions, laws, doctrines, churches, or cults to hear, read, or join which will tell men who, what, when, where, and why they should worship God. Nor can any man state definitely if a God does, or does not exist, or even the way a God should respond, or answer prayers that will open man's consciousness and lessen his ignorance enough to know what it truly means to be a child of God, and "joint-heirs with Christ."

There is no comparison in the world of matter which men strive to conquer, bend, manipulate, or shape to their will which will expose the exactness of what suffering and struggling means when one has crucified the old man, and sincerely strives to prepare themselves to the new man's awakening journey to the body of Christ dwelling within them as the "I, in the midst of thee." For in their preparation, there is nothing before them to describe to them the honest hope, and faith needed, to become glorified with Christ so their ultimate struggle and suffering of dying daily may be endured, that they may become worthy to receive "the glory which shall be revealed," upon the shedding of their human mentality, which has enslaved them in a body that is not their own.

With entrance into the flesh, men are purposed to rid themselves of the split personality which all who enter into this realm automatically inherit. And with re-entry, men are also purposed to become exampled proof that obedience to achieving and fulfilling their purpose is the journey one must undertake to raise Christ from the grave which keeps darkness within, preventing light from entering to establish conscious union with God in order to re-claim dominion of the will and subjective-objective thought process.

Every individual being who has ever lived in the flesh is an extension of those who were before them in the flesh because of the continuum of procreation. Death does not eliminate the procreation continuum, even though it eliminates an individual vessel which can be, or is used for continuation. This is why it is imperative for each individual, who enters this dimension of living, to observe and become dedicated to their purpose which allowed them to re-enter this parenthesis of eternity. The purpose of being the saviour of themselves first, then to descend into the pits of hell's thoughts and begin to eliminate the suffering and struggles of their predecessors, who forgot their purpose and became a subject victim of the thoughts of their dualism of heaven and hell. Descend into the pits of hell's thoughts of inevitability, to become the example saviour who shows those enslaved within the pits, the way back to their Father. And to let them know they are the ones responsible to "cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman."

Excert from "The Illusion of God"
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/t ... d/11046056

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Eckhart's teachings are just as dead as Christ's teachings have become so far as them ever being truly instrumental in leading others to a 'New Life'.
If you believe Jesus' teachings of the Christ mind are dead teachings, then of my comprehension of their wisdom, you do not comprehend what it is he was saying. Likewise Eckhart. Both men, amongst other giants of 'wisdom of the sword' taught that each man must take responsibility for his own 'new life', which has nothing to do with a collective, 'new earth' or 'new age', which most humanists of the dualism of human love preach and have preached for centuries.

Wisdom tells us there is nothing new under the sun, regardless of how 'new' these things may appear to the current generation of 'new age' thinkers. I include the teachings of Jesus and of Eckhart in this wisdom of the reforming of earth thoughts, with the difference being that their reforming was purposed to take one into the wilderness of oneself, away from the collective mentality of the social, political and cultural man, where union with the ever-renewing spark of one's infinite awareness could be realized.

When a man is touched of that spark of his individual infinite awareness, he need not follow any man's ideals. I speak for myself when I say that of the touching of this spark of my infinity, the idea of following another's ideals of a new world is unthinkable to me. I would rather die of my own hands than make another man my God or god of a collective, human, 'brave new world.'
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

movingalways wrote:I speak for myself when I say that of the touching of this spark of my infinity, the idea of following another's ideals of a new world is unthinkable to me. I would rather die of my own hands than make another man my God or god of a collective, human, 'brave new world.'
You seem to put other people ("giants of wisdom of the sword") on a pedestal, m/a. Whereas I most definitely knock them all down a peg or two.

And the collectivity I speak of is one of pure free-spirits, beholden to no one or no thing.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

jufa wrote:There are no messages given by men, no human philosophies, religions, laws, doctrines, churches, or cults to hear, read, or join which will tell men who, what, when, where, and why they should worship God.
I generally agree here, however, the story of the personal adventures of a man and a woman who have both made the return to themselves and the Godhead will most definitely be of value in helping others make the same return.
Luke Breuer

Post by Luke Breuer »

Bob Michael wrote:No, I've never examined him or his works.
When you said “totally free of all of one's false parental and societal conditioning”, that made me immediately think of Descarte’s epistemology, which is based in terms of doubt (that is, levels of doubt). I would highly suggest you read what I linked, or the main entry on Descartes, at least for a few pages.
movingalways wrote:Eckhart is speaking of nothing short of a radical disappearance not only of one's own will, [your words] but of the idea of will, period. Those who believe themselves reborn often speak of 'doing God's will', and although they may believe, from the depth of their soul that they are indeed God's 'messenger on earth', this is not the death philosophy of Eckhart, which is the subject of this thread.
What happens to one’s personality when one’s idea of will disappears?
Rare is a mind such as Eckhart's who truly knows what to be crucified as Jesus was crucified, entails.
By saying that, aren’t you putting yourself into the same camp as Eckhart and Jesus? Moreover, what percentage of what is recorded in the Protestant Bible, do you believe Jesus actually said?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Bob Michael wrote:
movingalways wrote:I speak for myself when I say that of the touching of this spark of my infinity, the idea of following another's ideals of a new world is unthinkable to me. I would rather die of my own hands than make another man my God or god of a collective, human, 'brave new world.'
Bob Michael: You seem to put other people ("giants of wisdom of the sword") on a pedestal, m/a. Whereas I most definitely knock them all down a peg or two.

And the collectivity I speak of is one of pure free-spirits, beholden to no one or no thing.
Bob, I put no one on a pedestal, but I do acknowledge those thinkers who have gone before me to pave the way for my own spiritual expansion. Though there have been many whose thoughts have touched my inquiring spirit, only the thoughts of a few have touched it so that it was 'set on fire.'

Where you and I collide in our philosophy is that you believe a pure spirit is also a human spirit. To me, the definition of human is to be conditioned to the ways of being human, whereas a pure spirit is one who refuses to be defined as being any thing. To me, if one claims to be unconditioned, then they must also deny their humanity or humanism.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Luke Breuer: What happens to one’s personality when one’s idea of will disappears?
The idea of personality also disappears.
movingalways:
Rare is a mind such as Eckhart's who truly knows what to be crucified as Jesus was crucified, entails.
Luke Breuer: By saying that, aren’t you putting yourself into the same camp as Eckhart and Jesus? Moreover, what percentage of what is recorded in the Protestant Bible, do you believe Jesus actually said?
I cannot claim that my wisdom matches exactly that of anyone. I don't believe anyone can. All I can do is recognize, within myself, those moments of "aha", of a union of 'like minds' that leaves me more expanded than I was before I encountered their wisdom.

As for Jesus' words, I have no idea how many he actually said. What I can discern though is a consistency and integrity of wisdom attributed to the man called "Jesus" that cannot be denied.
Luke Breuer

Post by Luke Breuer »

movingalways wrote:The idea of personality also disappears.
Do pronouns mean anything after one’s idea of will disappears?
I cannot claim that my wisdom matches exactly that of anyone. I don't believe anyone can. All I can do is recognize, within myself, those moments of "aha", of a union of 'like minds' that leaves me more expanded than I was before I encountered their wisdom.
Balloons get expanded, often with hot air…
As for Jesus' words, I have no idea how many he actually said. What I can discern though is a consistency and integrity of wisdom attributed to the man called "Jesus" that cannot be denied.
I’m fine with this level of reasoning, but my question still stands: when you discern said “consistency and integrity”, do you refer to all of the red text in an appropriately red-lettered Protestant Bible, a subset, a superset, or something else?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Luke Breuer wrote: If I “couch” my statements in certain/factual language, that simply means that I am willing to defend what I say in a somewhat formal way. How could it mean more than that?
Fair enough. It would be interesting to see why you are so certain that the translated Jesus did not speak like the translated version of Eckhart. I mean apart from the obvious thousand years of differences in culture and context. This was my initial challenge, perhaps a bit pointy as response to the formal balloon your first post on the topic appeared to me as. But I do not need to "articulate and defend this statement" as you wrote earlier. It's you who has to defend the notion that Jesus did not speak about the same as Eckhart. Please note that I'm not aware of any claim they have to derive in some way authority from each other. You need to explain that notion as well.
some corpus be identified as his sayings, and that he [Jesus] was consistent in his thoughts.
There's no doubt about the author of most of Eckhart's work. While the canonical Gospels already provide four differencing versions, making them at most eye witness accounts but the evidence points more to composed works with a lot of influence from contemporary and wildly popular (at the time) Homerian drama in there. A dry original theological work with a reasonable clear authorship should not be judged by reading a collection of wise sayings from a thousand year earlier. They can be both read and judged on their own merits.
At least I was led to believe, by his writing, that he [Eckhart] thinks he is speaking for the God described in Christian holy texts.
Yes, he was a Dominican friar active as theologian and teacher. He is supposed to speak like he knows something. But interpretations can vary wildly, just look at the Schism, the heretical groups of all ages, the thousands of denominations inside the Protestant culture alone, with pretty large differences in how they treat the scripture. This has always been the case by the way, often underground or between religious orders.
Thinking freely does not mean one abandons standards of evidence, nor rationality.
Sure. What I meant is that you personally still have to apply those standards. Although one cannot be an expert on everything to the degree of verifying each and every bit. In practical reality one makes judgement calls and lives to a degree "by faith", or by instinct or even "intuition". A practical consideration! And some of the topics here will have to be addressed ultimately that way as well, when rationality has exhausted all other routes.
Only you can decide who reads or sounds as someone with skill, with understanding about the topic. No one can help you there, you're all alone!
This thinking could be dangerous. On the one hand, I might be able to agree, but on the other hand, it sounds like justification to live however you wish to live, as long as you can soundly rationalize it. How do you fight the rationalization instinct that is extremely common to the types of folks who frequent this forum?
A good question! It's dangerous and indeed might cause trouble for those "types of folks". Perhaps one could require some advancedness, and it is required, but since it cannot be enforced without even bigger dangers, the forum ends up looking like this.
When you say this, are you under the impression that you are inline with what the Bible says, or do you not care?
It's not that I don't care, I know a lot about the Bible and related issues, but the problem is what you mean with "what the Bible says". You're speaking probably from a certain tradition with an embedded theology, some culture and interprative system which put it all in a context for you? My studies inside and outside churches have led me to the point I realised how immensely rich and complex the history and meanings of each and every section was in all the books inside and outside the canon.

Only a few parts of the bible really go into the nature of reality, often in parables or according to "as above so below". So much of it is also culture, morality, nationalism, all retro-fitted to serve later cultures, the Romans, Western Christendom, etc.
I am saying that one must absolutely trash what the standard Protestant (I am not sure about the Apocrypha) Bible has Jesus saying, in order to support what Eckhart says.
You could start with an example of a saying of Jesus which has to be trashed for Eckhart to be supported. What about: "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. .....It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." While I'm aware of all the interpretations, it's important to note he didn't keep on asking the rich to give away their possessions but talked about being reborn, or take up the cross, etc.
He tries to explain all the surrounding stories, copies and events which have so many similarities in moral, story and execution by being "lesser" version of the real thing.
Is this never a pattern found in human behavior? Clearly, one needs to establish which version was closest to the real thing, but you would appear to be dismissing the whole enterprise as useless.
The logical problem was to explain the existence of so many versions before and after the supposed "fact". Instead of going with a logical, natural hypotheses that the story in the gospel was one of those versions, Lewis asserts an unknown, unexplained mechanism of foreshadowing and echoing. But it doesn't take much looking around in literature and art to see how ideas spread, develop and vary over a few decades already. There is often not "the original". So which reason the rational Lewis has for his ideas here: none but an unwillingness to face a more simple, rational view.
It is equally valid to say that Lewis made assumptions that either A) most people miss, or B) were not explicitly stated, but underlay enough of his work to be sufficiently obvious to the competent reader. This makes the issue not at all one of logical fallacy, but challenging a premise, based not on consistency of a possible world, but by testing whether this actual world is that possible world, using evidence.
No, it's really a very clear fallacy which occupies a significant position throughout his apologetic work. Lewis assumes simply there's no other alternative way to interpret the teachings while there obviously are, even in this time. And as such it shows the limitation of Lewis the most clear: his emotional attachment to some orthodox core Christian teaching to be factual as well as historical. It's like holding on to a womb, like a baby not wanting to be born. All too human, all too understandable too.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

movingalways wrote:To me, if one claims to be unconditioned, then they must also deny their humanity or humanism.
The unconditioning I refer to is the rooting out of all the false or inhuman conditioning that we acquired as a child on up through our lives, as the result of being born into a fallen and corrupt human world. That conditioning which keeps us from being at one with life everywhere. I also stress the importance of being conditioned with lots of love and warm human touch in the early years of life in order to find and perfect that oneness.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Bob Michael wrote:
movingalways wrote:To me, if one claims to be unconditioned, then they must also deny their humanity or humanism.
The unconditioning I refer to is the rooting out of all the false or inhuman conditioning that we acquired as a child on up through our lives, as the result of being born into a fallen and corrupt human world. That conditioning which keeps us from being at one with life everywhere. I also stress the importance of being conditioned with lots of love and warm human touch in the early years of life in order to find and perfect that oneness.
Bob, I was raised in a family that considered themselves very human and loved me deeply as their human child. I married my husband in this same spirit of human love, as did we raise our children.

However, all this human love did not stop me from questioning who I was beyond even the subtlest of my human conditioning.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Luke Breuer: Do pronouns mean anything after one’s idea of will disappears?
Since neither my will nor my personality has disappeared, I remain using pronouns.
Balloons get expanded, often with hot air…
As long as the wisdom is purposed to pop my human balloon, I know I am on the right track.
I’m fine with this level of reasoning, but my question still stands: when you discern said “consistency and integrity”, do you refer to all of the red text in an appropriately red-lettered Protestant Bible, a subset, a superset, or something else?
I refer to the red text in the King James version.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

movingalways wrote:Bob, I was raised in a family that considered themselves very human and loved me deeply as their human child. I married my husband in this same spirit of human love, as did we raise our children.

However, all this human love did not stop me from questioning who I was beyond even the subtlest of my human conditioning.
Seems like that foundation of love you say you've had has keep the natural flame of curiosity from being snuffed out in you, as unfortunately is the case with most children. This natural propensity for questioning and wanting to know was never snuffed out of myself either. My dad often told me I asked too many questions and never had rest in my rear end. But today, as I approach 70, and finally, I have all the answers (at least all the answers I need up to this point and time) and there is considerable rest in my rear end. I'm wondering though whether you have similarly found all the answers and have true peace of mind and contentment? Do you know who you are and are you being (living) fully true to your own self? Which to me is the true goal of life.

I've been married 3 times, the first lasting 22 years, and I raised four sons who are all doing 'well'. Though as I look back through my life with an open and honest mind, I see pretty much of it as a well-intentioned, but largely insane nightmare. Yet in many respects it was very normal, or even above normal. But in retrospect it was largely a life that was running on ignorance (meaning lacking in wisdom) and self-will. One which left a lot of wreckage behind it, mainly in the form of children. Who I see, in spite of their 'wellness', as being hopelessly and irrevocably caught up in the ways of the world and self. And while I failed them considerably as their father, I too feel the societal deterioration in just the generation that separates us also played a large hand in their spiritual demise. Though the fact remains that most definitely my parents were far better parents than I was. I think too the lack of love between myself and their mother also played a big hand in the situation. Though having been rigorously honest about the whole matter and the part I played in it, I'm fully detached from it all and have no guilt, regrets, shame, or remorse to burden me down in the least.
Luke Breuer

Post by Luke Breuer »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:It would be interesting to see why you are so certain that the translated Jesus did not speak like the translated version of Eckhart.
Ok:
Eckhart wrote:But we shall speak better, taking poverty in a higher sense: a poor man is one who wants nothing, knows nothing and has nothing.
The Lord’s Prayer would seem to include wanting things. Seeking the kingdom of God and his righteousness seems like wanting something (and knowing something). We are instructed to ask for things. We are to build, and do so wisely. The result of these three parts of the Sermon on the Mount would seem to be wanting certain things, knowing certain things, and having certain things.

I don’t see how Eckhart’s “poor man” is anything other than the beginning of gaining wisdom—and even that is iffy, since the transition state from not wanting anything to wanting wisdom (Psalm 119, anyone?) is an enigma, unless you refer to the exact moment of death & rebirth.
For a man to possess true poverty he must be as free of his created will as he was when he was not.
Nothing that God created was called evil at the point of creation. So is Eckhart’s “created” a different kind? I have seen similar attempts to disparage emotions, and yet God is described through emotion, we are told in Genesis that we are made in God’s image, and we are told that God saw that creation as “good”.
While I yet stood in my first cause, I had no God and was my own cause:
It is not logically possible to be one’s own cause. The word “cause” is destroyed by this use.
For before there were creatures, God was not 'God'.
By “'God'”, does Eckhart mean “Ruler”?
Secondly, he is a poor man who knows nothing.
How is this laudatory? The Centurion knew of Jesus’ authority and this impressed Jesus.
For a man to possess this poverty he must live so that he is unaware that he does not live for himself, or for truth, or for God.
Please find me a few scriptures which support this idea, in any way, shape or form.
That man should let God work as He will, and himself stand idle.
Nehemiah certainly didn’t “stand idle”.
Thus God is free of all things, and so He is all things.
This is pantheism and blatantly anti-scriptural. “all things are in God” ≠ “all things are God” = “God is all things” Colossians 1:16-17 is a good reference for this; there are also others.
Thirdly, he is a poor man who has nothing.
Mark 4:25 “For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.””
Secondly, we have said he is a poor man who does not know of the working of God within him.
John 15:15 “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”
I am the cause of God's being God: if I were not, then God would not be God.
No.

I suppose Eckhart could be talking all about the transition state from unsaved to saved (to the extent one defines salvation that way; one might also say that believers are saved by the time they die). However, he does not make this clear; his sermon seems to advocate steady-state conditions that are blatantly anti-scriptural.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:It's not that I don't care, I know a lot about the Bible and related issues, but the problem is what you mean with "what the Bible says". You're speaking probably from a certain tradition with an embedded theology, some culture and interprative system which put it all in a context for you?
I obviously cannot escape all of the influences you have given negative connotation, but I will say this much: I do not identify with any particular Christian tradition, whether it be Protestant, Roman Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox (yes, I am excluding certain groups with this statement). I prefer to say that I am first trying to understand the parts of scripture which must be common to all believers. I dabble in areas that differ from group to group, but I think there is plenty of core doctrine to keep one busy for years. I’ll throw you a bone: many folks haven’t a clue what to do with Colossians 1:24, even though they have 2 Timothy 2:3 and 1 Peter 3:17. Jesus “paid it all” so I don’t have to suffer [in the flesh] for anything other than my own sins, right? Wrong.
My studies inside and outside churches have led me to the point I realised how immensely rich and complex the history and meanings of each and every section was in all the books inside and outside the canon.
Have I ever disparaged non-canonical books?
Only a few parts of the bible really go into the nature of reality,
From whence did this idea come?
What about: "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.
This was said to a very particular person. Luke 9:57-62 is much better for this purpose.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Luke Breuer wrote: The result of these three parts of the Sermon on the Mount would seem to be wanting certain things, knowing certain things, and having certain things.
It seemed pretty clear to me that Eckhart is not trying to disagree with any common interpretations, he just wanted to add a superior, deeper explanation on top of the usual understandings - and should one not always strive for deepening? And it's not like Jesus always gave the complete story. The scripture itself mentions him explaining things in private (Mark 4:34). Even the understanding of the disciples was questioned by the authors of the Gospels at times, displaying frustration with Jesus about the shallow understanding of the disciples. One has to wonder if they got it later on somehow.
Nothing that God created was called evil at the point of creation.
Called by whom? What was created? Which point? Are you a creationist? Eckhart talks instead of the moment the world is created by our own birth, our own waking. This is something one can verify each and every second. As it disappears when you die or sleep and it distorts when your wakefulness becomes distorted.
I have seen similar attempts to disparage emotions, and yet God is described through emotion, we are told in Genesis that we are made in God’s image, and we are told that God saw that creation as “good”.
Calling something "good" [tov meod] cannot be said to be an emotion. If anything, it's a judgement, an evaluation, perhaps a praise. How would you describe God through an emotion? How would you know it's not the Devil being experienced for example?
It is not logically possible to be one’s own cause. The word “cause” is destroyed by this use.
Correct. But there cannot be something uncaused either. It's a clever description of the purity of emptiness. In Eastern traditions also known as "no self". By the way, I thought you said you would use the bible but I actually prefer discussing logical assessments like these, and not discuss the amount of angels on pin heads.
For before there were creatures, God was not 'God'.
By “'God'”, does Eckhart mean “Ruler”?
It seems he positions the idea of a creator only existing in relation to a creation. Without the creation, without existence - God loses meaning and as such "is not".
Secondly, he is a poor man who knows nothing.
How is this laudatory? The Centurion knew of Jesus’ authority and this impressed Jesus.
How could he have known it without God presenting this knowledge? Or is Jesus a magician now?
For a man to possess this poverty he must live so that he is unaware that he does not live for himself, or for truth, or for God.
Please find me a few scriptures which support this idea, in any way, shape or form.
You need to face up to the fact there's a lot to learn outside direct, consumer ready "supporting" scripture. Clearly Eckhart goes beyond the common religiousness and deepens the texts. This is what all teachers always have done, ranging from the Old Testament prophets to the early Church Fathers to many contemporary authors, including the apologists C.S Lewis and G.K Chesterton. They all venture outside the stale texts to make it real or relevant again somehow, to reconnect again with the possible meanings.

Please note, you still haven't made any convincing argument why scriptures be authoritive for anyhting at all. For the mature thinker it's about recognizing and acknowledging wisdom when it's seen, even when just lying around on the street. Anything less would be sheeplike.
That man should let God work as He will, and himself stand idle.
Nehemiah certainly didn’t “stand idle”.
So after he prayed for "success today" and asking for "favour in the presence of this man”, you mean Nehemiah did all the work himself? Then why pray at all? It's clearly about what God had "put in his heart to do for Jerusalem". That Nehemish stood idle and submitted to the Lord's work, assuming it was the Lord at work - as we're asked to believe the story but I don't mind working with it in this context.
Thus God is free of all things, and so He is all things.
This is pantheism and blatantly anti-scriptural.
Why? Jeremiah 23:24, Psalms 139:7-10, Acts 17:27,28: "For in him we live, and move, and have our being". But more importantly logically: the creator is present in what's assumed to be created - they cannot be separated.
Thirdly, he is a poor man who has nothing.
Mark 4:25 “For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.””
You're reaching here! Do you think this text was about a monetary reward for the faithful? Or any other increase in possessions. Think about it!
Secondly, we have said he is a poor man who does not know of the working of God within him.
John 15:15 “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”
Sharing what one has "heard from the Father" doesn't equal knowing how God works in all his mysterious ways. Perhaps Eckhart could be improved upon: the ultimate knowledge of God is to understand how unknowable he actually is.
I’ll throw you a bone: many folks haven’t a clue what to do with Colossians 1:24, even though they have 2 Timothy 2:3 and 1 Peter 3:17. Jesus “paid it all” so I don’t have to suffer [in the flesh] for anything other than my own sins, right? Wrong.
No matter if Paul was referring to a physical ailment or suffering persecution or temptation: the theology which has Jesus "paying" for all the sins and their consequences should be reviewed critically. What about "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me".

Here you have it all: we're still suffering dragging a cross around and are asked to "deny ourselves". Don't you see the connections with Eckhart the reformer?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Seems like that foundation of love you say you've had has keep the natural flame of curiosity from being snuffed out in you, as unfortunately is the case with most children.
Although my siblings and I attended Sunday school for the sake of our grandmother, there was no religion in our home. Nor were there tight rules or traditions we had to follow. We experienced what I like to call "benign neglect" which was a perfect environment for self inquiry. Lots of love [acceptance, humour] little or no parental 'smothering.'
This natural propensity for questioning and wanting to know was never snuffed out of myself either. My dad often told me I asked too many questions and never had rest in my rear end. But today, as I approach 70, and finally, I have all the answers (at least all the answers I need up to this point and time) and there is considerable rest in my rear end. I'm wondering though whether you have similarly found all the answers and have true peace of mind and contentment? Do you know who you are and are you being (living) fully true to your own self? Which to me is the true goal of life.
I have always lived fully true to myself, even when it was not the self I am now. As a child, I listened to what I then called my 'human intuition', as an adult, I listen to what I now call my 'spirit conscience.'

As for finding all the answers, I no longer question who or what I am. And, rather than saying that I have true peace of mind and contentment, I say that I am awake to the whole vision of myself. Contentment, to me, is a human state of mind of emotional fulfillment, which definitely is not what I mean by being awake.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Luke Breuer: Nothing that God created was called evil at the point of creation. So is Eckhart’s “created” a different kind? I have seen similar attempts to disparage emotions, and yet God is described through emotion, we are told in Genesis that we are made in God’s image, and we are told that God saw that creation as “good”.
Because Eckhart speaks of the creature emanation, and of breaking through this creature emanation, I believe Eckhart had the same vision as I have of the two Gods in the mind of man. God the Father of Genesis 1 and his image, the Son of God, and the Lord God of time, distance, space and matter of Genesis 2, the Son of man, [the creature emanation]. It is not until the emanation of the BUT of the Lord God of dualism appears in the Godhead of its mist and its dust and its breath do emotions arise in the conscious awareness of the pure spirit images of the Father.

Man is of both worlds, pure spirit and sense [emotional] dualism. He is born as the Son of man, as was Jesus, and gradually awakens to his true nature as the Son of God, as did Jesus, bearing his own cross of transcending his shadow of time and of space and of distance and of matter.

There are no emotions or death in the unchanging Father of Genesis 1, therefore, the Father is not aware of evil. Since emotions are of the ever changing Lord God of the earth of Genesis 2 and to be of earth is to be aware of the shadow of death, of fear, tell me how one can have emotions and not be aware of evil?
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

movingalways wrote:Man is of both worlds, pure spirit and sense [emotional] dualism. He is born as the Son of man, as was Jesus, and gradually awakens to his true nature as the Son of God, as did Jesus, bearing his own cross of transcending his shadow of time and of space and of distance and of matter.
Where are these sort of men?