Whatever happened to all the old members?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Patrick86

Whatever happened to all the old members?

Post by Patrick86 »

This place seems to have become lifeless. I wonder why.
Kelly Jones

Re: Whatever happened to all the old members?

Post by Kelly Jones »

If a person makes progress, they should eventually become free agents on their own, not hanging around. So why am I still here? Mostly, it's because I see that I can be of some assistance while the administrators are focussed on other venues or projects. But I'm going to be taking a study break, shortly, and catch up on some other neglected tasks.

But the other main reason most people leave, is, as Diogenes put it, they become "eunuchs". They baulk.

Patrick86

Post by Patrick86 »

They all left. That's what made me wonder.

I too once left (about 2yrs ago) but now I'm back and looking forward to understanding life at least a little better. Not only do I want to be capable of thinking BIG complicated thoughts but I also want to learn how to intelligently express those thoughts. And there we have it, in a nutshell, that's why I'm back.

Also, QRS seem to have left as well! I wonder who left first. Anyway, I hope they come back...
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

The forum goes through cycles, Patrick. Sometimes it's very quiet, with everyone away focussed on their own interests. It's a natural ebb-and-flow.

At present, Kevin and Dan are active on other venues (Youtube, for example), and I believe David is doing something similar. Quite a few old members still drop in occasionally or pop up on the internet in philosophy-related matters, though that doesn't mean they share the same views or purposes; from about a decade ago, in the Genius-List days (to my knowledge) Jason, Bob Willis, Dave Hodges, Marsha Faizi, Zagreus, Sue Hindmarsh, Shardrol, Martin Dudaniec, Rhett Hamilton, Naturyl/Unidian, Adam/AlyOshA, Matt Gregory, Mitchell Porter, and Tharan; and from the last five years or so (I think), Leyla Shen, Diebert van Rhijn, Ataraxia, Shaharazad, Nick Treklis, Cory Duchesne, Ryan Rudolph, Ryan/Animus, Elizabeth Isabelle, Carmel, and myself. If I've left out significant contributors, I am sincerely sorry. It's just a quick list.

Things do change, also. The early days were perhaps more chaotic, and less streamlined and simple. A more aesthetically appealing stage, so there was a lot more "fun" and entertainment. More spectacle. More diverse productivity perhaps.

But as egos were wounded, with people getting a greater sense of the path and its demands, the dynamics have changed. Instead of the simple, rather childlike and playful times of the beginning phase, the interactions have become a little more serious. I think a lot of skill (with wisdom, of course) is required as things get tougher, because people come more firmly against their psychological blockages. So, instead of the free-thinking, honesty, self-awareness, and gentleness of the more open-minded discussion of "yore", now those psychological blockages rear their ugly heads. The result is a kind of deadlock, with troubled consciences stirred and agitated, and rather inclined to defend themselves at all costs, rather than lay themselves open to the dreaded step of renunciation.

That's my best explanation of the periods of greater quiet these days. It also explains the more frequent accusations of mental illness, and the seriously flared tempers. Still, it's all revealing and quite interesting. I don't think the purpose of the forum has lost any power. If any, its relevance and influence is growing, much like underground runner-roots, and largely through the internet.

Incidentally, just because I've mentioned members or previous members, doesn't mean that I think they agree with the views espoused by the GF admin.

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I'm here, but have been uniquely incapacitated of late. I'll be back soon to sweep this place out, so to speak.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

I think most of the old members are gone because they all don't share the same purpose in life. I think people like Kevin Solway don't post here because they just got bored with repeating the same things over and over, and producing almost insignificant results.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Yes, "results" on an impersonal forum can be difficult to assess.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-Patrick-
They all left. That's what made me wonder.

-tomas-
Darn tootin' they left .. and, it's all your fault!

-Patrick-
I too once left (about 2yrs ago) but now I'm back and looking forward to understanding life at least a little better.

-tomas-
Well, when you get a handle on it, clue me in.

-Patrick-
Not only do I want to be capable of thinking BIG complicated thoughts
but I also want to learn how to intelligently express those thoughts.

-tomas-
Hmmm, so that's why I gave up watercolor painting on the San Francisco Bay Bridge :-)

-Patrick-
And there we have it, in a nutshell, that's why I'm back.

-tomas-
Whoa, big fella. Pass those sunflower seeds my way.

-Patrick-
Also, QRS seem to have left as well!

-tomas-
It's QSR, get with the program.

-Patrick-
I wonder who left first.

-tomas-
I am rooting for the San Francisco Giants to win the World Series.

-Patrick-
Anyway, I hope they come back...

-tomas-
Shucks, they breeze through every so often. Pace yourself.
Don't run to your death
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

I've gone away for years at a time, and come back. Am I back, or just dropping by for a quick visit? I don't know.

What we discuss here is by nature a solo adventure. Sometimes it is a very meandering path. Some few may "get it" and "graduate." There is no longer a need to discuss anything. Others play the role of Bodhisattva; they have more compassion than me.

As Bob Dylan wrote,

Preacher was talking, a sermon he gave
he said every man's conscience is vile and depraved
you can not depend on it to be your guide
when it's you who must keep it satisfied.

Of late I have realized that I still have something - not to learn, but to accomplish. It's probably more a matter of putting in some time in meditation, nothing that requires further discussion. But I do need to focus. And perhaps by now I might have something that someone else might find worthwhile or useful. And perhaps the truly compassionate still have something to teach me - by their example.
Patrick86

Post by Patrick86 »

It's good to see that some old members are still around.