What is the meaning of life?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

To all those who claim to be enlightened.

a gutter rat looking at stars
mensa-maniac

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by mensa-maniac »

Glostik91 wrote:To all those who claim to be enlightened.

Mensa says: What is the meaning of YOUR life should be the question, do you really care the meaning of someone else's life?

What is the meaning of your life to you, ask yourself that question. No one knows what the meaning of your life is, and you may not know either. Let me give you some meaning in your life.

You're Meant to Be

Your birthday is so special
The day you were born
Bear in mind you WON the race
Don't feel so forlorn

You raced your way up canal
You came in number one
All the others envied you
Your lot in lifes begun

You made it home to the womb
A haven prepared for you
Why do you suppose you rose
You headed right there too

Your first journey you dated egghead
Together you became embryo
And grew into fetus
Nine months later you show

Your birthday is so special
God's plans are yours to see
Remember when you're down and out
That you were Meant to Be

If there were no meaning in birth then the feminine wouldn't be able to produce, but because we can produce, we are then useful, productive and Meant to Be!
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

To Mensa Maniac: Are you enlightened?
baulz owt

Post by baulz owt »

The meaning of life is living in accordance with one's values.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

The meaning of life doesn't need any enlightenment.

This older post is my best stab at addressing the idea of purpose.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Glostik91 wrote:To Mensa Maniac: Are you enlightened?
Mensa maniac says: Why does it matter Glostik if I am or not, if my words take on meaning to you, as they're intended to do, use them to your advantage.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:

The meaning of life doesn't need any enlightenment.

This older post is my best stab at addressing the idea of purpose.
Mensa says: Another post, another idea, another sharing, another opinion, another theory, or another fact, it's all good and shows differential perspectives shared amongst readers who either agree or disagree.

Mensa says: "The meaning of life doesn't need any enlightenment" brings to mind that those who need enrichment in their lives for the betterment of their lives could use enlightenment as anyone could, including those already enlightened. Who couldn't use reasoning in their lives?

Mensa says: Those already enlightened already embrace the meaning of life, as Diebert indicates. The meaning of life to the enlightened one means his-self's journey as One with Christ and All!

Mensa says: "The meaning of life doesn't need any enlightenment" demands more thought, in which case I'll leave it alone, considering it is not my thought.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

baulz owt wrote: The meaning of life is living in accordance with one's values.
What am I supposed to value?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: The meaning of life doesn't need any enlightenment.
Yes, it does.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: This older post is my best stab at addressing the idea of purpose.
Your post was interesting, but I still don't understand what the meaning of life is.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

mensa-maniac wrote:
Glostik91 wrote:To Mensa Maniac: Are you enlightened?
Mensa maniac says: Why does it matter Glostik if I am or not, if my words take on meaning to you, as they're intended to do, use them to your advantage.
Because only the enlightened know the truth.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

enlightenment means freedom from suffering.

meaning of life is a mystery
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Glostik91 wrote:
baulz owt wrote: The meaning of life is living in accordance with one's values.
What am I supposed to value?
Mensa says: Glostik91, value YOURSELF! Could you see yourself valuiing someone more than yourself?

Some people say don't compare yourself to others, but I say yes you must compare yourself to others to see yourself differently. You must be your own best friend, treat yourself the way YOU want to be treated.

Read this message Glostik91, "The meaning of life is living in accordance with one's values" Now you should understand. It is yourself you must value, because it is yourself responsible for taking yourself to mature levels through development.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Glostik91 wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: The meaning of life doesn't need any enlightenment.
Yes, it does.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: This older post is my best stab at addressing the idea of purpose.
Your post was interesting, but I still don't understand what the meaning of life is.
Mensa says: "but, I still don't understand what the meaning of life is"

Let me put this in two words for you Glostik91, Know thyself!

When you come to know thyself, life will take on meaning for you.

Let me help you to understand yourself. When you look in the mirror and hate the big ugly mole on your left cheek, (or anything for that matter) you will continue to see it as a big ugly mole and it will torment you until you look in the mirror and say I love that mole, it's part of me. When you learn to accept that big ugly mole, your thoughts will change and you'll experience a liking for it rather than a rebuking of it, because when you rebuke anything about yourself, you're saying to yourself that you don't accept yourself or the natural way you are. The key here is to accept the natural YOU, the YOU who makes herself happy by being her own best friend. To be your own best friend is to listen to yourself's needs and sate those needs!

When you come to a realization about yourself, Embrace it, Accept it, and you will soon learn who YOU are! Getting to know thyself takes time, it's a developing process, suddenly one day it will all click for you and you will realize who you are.

It was Socrates who said Know Thyself!
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Dennis Mahar wrote:enlightenment means freedom from suffering.

Can this mystery be solved?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

mensa-maniac wrote:
Mensa says: Glostik91, value YOURSELF! Could you see yourself valuiing someone more than yourself?

Some people say don't compare yourself to others, but I say yes you must compare yourself to others to see yourself differently. You must be your own best friend, treat yourself the way YOU want to be treated.

Read this message Glostik91, "The meaning of life is living in accordance with one's values" Now you should understand. It is yourself you must value, because it is yourself responsible for taking yourself to mature levels through development.
Why should I value myself when science says that me and all that I have done will be destroyed some day? Why not just get it over with now?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

mensa-maniac wrote: Mensa says: "but, I still don't understand what the meaning of life is"

Let me put this in two words for you Glostik91, Know thyself!

When you come to know thyself, life will take on meaning for you.

Let me help you to understand yourself. When you look in the mirror and hate the big ugly mole on your left cheek, (or anything for that matter) you will continue to see it as a big ugly mole and it will torment you until you look in the mirror and say I love that mole, it's part of me. When you learn to accept that big ugly mole, your thoughts will change and you'll experience a liking for it rather than a rebuking of it, because when you rebuke anything about yourself, you're saying to yourself that you don't accept yourself or the natural way you are. The key here is to accept the natural YOU, the YOU who makes herself happy by being her own best friend. To be your own best friend is to listen to yourself's needs and sate those needs!

When you come to a realization about yourself, Embrace it, Accept it, and you will soon learn who YOU are! Getting to know thyself takes time, it's a developing process, suddenly one day it will all click for you and you will realize who you are.

It was Socrates who said Know Thyself!
Did not Socrates also say I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

It's a delicate point in time for such a question Glos given the likely prospect of deflating the expansion of a couple of touchy/feely Jufarian Preachers going about their Quixotic mission.

It can't be grasped, owned, possessed by way of conceptualising.
No thinking cuts it.

Thinking labels things.

It is not a thing.
Nothing.
No-thing.
Not finite.

We can only talk in an enlightened fashion about what it means to be a human being and set some parameters around that to have the experience of a life relatively free of suffering.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Glostik91 wrote:
mensa-maniac wrote:

Why should I value myself when science says that me and all that I have done will be destroyed some day? Why not just get it over with now?
Mensa says: Well, why not value yourself until then anyway, and worry about that when it happens, you're believing that Science knows exactly when this will happen and they don't.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Glostik91 wrote:
Dennis Mahar wrote:enlightenment means freedom from suffering.

Mensa says: Of course it can be solved, when you decide to choose an answer that suits you. Answers take a long time coming sometimes. It's good Glostik91 that you don't just settle for any answer, so your answer will come to you in time.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Before asking what the meaning of life is, ask yourself what "life" is.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Mensa,
Of course it can be solved, when you decide to choose an answer that suits you
Do you mean by this an answer to living relatively free of suffering?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Dennis Mahar wrote:
It's a delicate point in time for such a question Glos given the likely prospect of deflating the expansion of a couple of touchy/feely Jufarian Preachers going about their Quixotic mission.

It can't be grasped, owned, possessed by way of conceptualising.
No thinking cuts it.

Thinking labels things.

It is not a thing.
Nothing.
No-thing.
Not finite.

We can only talk in an enlightened fashion about what it means to be a human being and set some parameters around that to have the experience of a life relatively free of suffering.
Your answer tells me that you are a wise man.
What exactly does it mean to be free from suffering?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

mensa-maniac wrote: Mensa says: Well, why not value yourself until then anyway, and worry about that when it happens, you're believing that Science knows exactly when this will happen and they don't.
I don't know why I should value myself.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

mensa-maniac wrote: Mensa says: Of course it can be solved, when you decide to choose an answer that suits you. Answers take a long time coming sometimes. It's good Glostik91 that you don't just settle for any answer, so your answer will come to you in time.
I would like an answer that applies to everyone, not just myself.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

jupiviv wrote:Before asking what the meaning of life is, ask yourself what "life" is.
What is life?
I have no idea.