What is the meaning of life?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
psychoactive

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by psychoactive »

Glostik91 wrote:Why do people have this emotional need?
For if it exists, how could it not?
Entity

Post by Entity »

psychoactive wrote:
I find this to be a pretty good explanation in itself. Does it matter why? It's there. But I can also give an explanation of the phenomena. Remember how I said that humans are basically irrational beings whose emotions direct the mind? That is because we are animals, and that is how animals evolved to deal with the environment. That is why the limbic system, the emotional center, is at the center of your brain, because it is evolutionarily ancient. That is also why there are far more projections from the limbic system to the cerebral cortex (the seat of the mind) then there are from the cerebral cortex to the limbic system. That is why you can look at someone and instantly find them attractive and desire them, but you can't look at someone and induce the same feelings with logic.
Entity

Post by Entity »

Glostik91 wrote:
"No distinctions" is this not also a form?
How can a lack of form be a form? That is also thinking in terms of forms which misses the point.
Anders Schlander

Post by Anders Schlander »

Glostik91 wrote:
Anders Schlander wrote:Life is whatever exists, the meaning of whatever exists is a dumb question, since the meaning is part of 'whatever exists' for conscious, valuing people. The meaning of life is a lot like a coffee cup on a table, it's the way because of Nature. But since meaning is part of consciousness as soon as there is values, and since consciousness is effectively valuing/discriminating thought processes, consciousness and meaning are integrated, and the specific meaning in our consciousness is of course as it is made to be...there's no mystery, just bad definitions, and bad thinking.

As for what your meaning should be, hard to make that judgement.
If life is whatever exists then a rock is alive?
Does a rock exist?
Anders Schlander

Glostik91 wrote:
Entity wrote: That's not at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that there are subjective meanings which are idiosyncratic to each person, which originate from their emotional needs. However, these subjective meanings cannot hold up to any objective standards because they are delusions created to satisfy internal needs, and cannot ever be evaluated as objectively true. For example, let's say someone said the meaning of life is to be happy. That is their subjective take on the meaning of life. But anyone can argue that life is not being about happy, and such an argument can go nowhere because neither party is right or wrong; they have different opinions. And of course opinions cannot represent objective truths. So objectively someone can have the thought that the meaning of life is 'x', an opinion, but that does not make what they regard as the meaning objectively true. Those are two completely different phenomena.
All right, what you're saying is that everyone has their own opinion as to what the meaning of life is.

What is the objective meaning of life?
Whatever meaning exists is the objective meaning for life, I'd say. For example: part of the meaning in my life is to look for some food in the moment that I perceive hunger as opposed to not hunger. Which is related to the fact that I like to stay alive and feel well as opposed to unwell and then dead.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Glostik91 wrote:If life is whatever exists then a rock is alive?
Is the oxygen in my bloodstream alive?

Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

psychoactive wrote:
If it exists? Are you suggesting that it is possible that this need doesn't exist?
a gutter rat looking at stars
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Entity wrote:
Glostik91 wrote:
"No distinctions" is this not also a form?
How can a lack of form be a form? That is also thinking in terms of forms which misses the point.
How am I supposed to understand this without using a form of some kind?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Anders Schlander wrote:
Glostik91 wrote: If life is whatever exists then a rock is alive?
Does a rock exist?
I'm not sure.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Anders Schlander wrote: Whatever meaning exists is the objective meaning for life, I'd say. For example: part of the meaning in my life is to look for some food in the moment that I perceive hunger as opposed to not hunger. Which is related to the fact that I like to stay alive and feel well as opposed to unwell and then dead.
So what your saying is that objective meaning is dependent on what I am feeling or thinking right now.

Can't I change my mind as to what meaning I want?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Is the oxygen in my bloodstream alive?

How am I, a finite human, supposed to understand this?
Anders Schlander

Glostik91 wrote:
Anders Schlander wrote: Whatever meaning exists is the objective meaning for life, I'd say. For example: part of the meaning in my life is to look for some food in the moment that I perceive hunger as opposed to not hunger. Which is related to the fact that I like to stay alive and feel well as opposed to unwell and then dead.
So what your saying is that objective meaning is dependent on what I am feeling or thinking right now.

yeah, that is pretty much what i'm saying. There's not really a subjective meaning and a objective meaning, there is the meaning that exists, and that is all.
Glostik91 wrote:Can't I change my mind as to what meaning I want?
Yeah, but that is also dependant on what you are feeling or thinking right now, which depends on many things..
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Kelly: Is the oxygen in my bloodstream alive?

Glostik91: How am I, a finite human, supposed to understand this?
Your first question implied that you think there's some final determinant in the difference between life and death. Didn't it?

So, here's the situation. Here's a list of minerals containing oxygen. A human body can also contain oxygen. But is the oxygen "dead" or "alive" depending on where it is? How so?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Anders Schlander wrote:
Glostik91 wrote:So what your saying is that objective meaning is dependent on what I am feeling or thinking right now.
yeah, that is pretty much what i'm saying. There's not really a subjective meaning and an objective meaning, there is the meaning that exists, and that is all.
What exactly is the difference between objective meaning and subjective meaning?
Anders Schlander wrote:
Glostik91 wrote:Can't I change my mind as to what meaning I want?
Yeah, but that is also dependant on what you are feeling or thinking right now, which depends on many things..
Where does this chain of dependence end?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Kelly Jones wrote:

Kelly: Is the oxygen in my bloodstream alive?

Glostik91: How am I, a finite human, supposed to understand this?
Your first question implied that you think there's some final determinant in the difference between life and death. Didn't it?

So, here's the situation. Here's a list of minerals containing oxygen. A human body can also contain oxygen. But is the oxygen "dead" or "alive" depending on where it is? How so?
If my implication was that I know whether or not a rock is alive then I apologize to you. The truth is that I have no idea whether a rock is "alive" or "dead". All I can do is guess. Even "knowing" "if" "I'm" "guessing" or "not" is a "guess". Why is this so? I think it is because I am a human.
DHodges

I wanna rock!

Post by DHodges »

Jesus Christ, a rock is not alive, what the fuck.

How can you not know that?
cousinbasil

Re: I wanna rock!

Post by cousinbasil »

DHodges wrote:Jesus Christ, a rock is not alive, what the fuck.

How can you not know that?
Maybe they have the wrong forum.

"Nincompoop" does sound a lot like "Genius."

Easy mistake to make, eh, Dave?
paco

Post by paco »

Little
Is
Fuller
Everday
I am illiterate
paco

Post by paco »

What dimension are we in?

What particles do we percieve?

What is?

I'm defininetly not in touch with reality...Good time to come on a genius forum, ey...?

What doesn't somebody just waltz over and give my a nice give jiu jitsu take-down.

I'm definitely experiencing a lot of turmoil.

I can't hack into my computer. My dog/cat won't eat it's food. My alarm clock went off early last night. My bossom friend is sleeping with my girlfriend. I have a watch that's broken. I ain't very clever. I have a lot of things to do and nobody to do them with. It's too early to eat and I'm starving. I have dimensia. I am as broke as a weasel. I miss my mom. ZQ

In thee end; there are no friends.
I am illiterate
dullfangs

Post by dullfangs »

"Nothing is "real", as all things arise out of causes. Neither can anything be "illusory", as there is nothing real to make them illusory. So you need not expend effort projecting reality or illusoriness onto things. Simply accept things for what they are."
"emotions distort reality"
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

dullfangs wrote:
"Nothing is "real", as all things arise out of causes. Neither can anything be "illusory", as there is nothing real to make them illusory. So you need not expend effort projecting reality or illusoriness onto things. Simply accept things for what they are."
"emotions distort reality"
Unattributed quotes mean nothing at best and are plagiarism most of the time. Unless their sources are patent, which in this case they aren't, at least to me. If I am ignorant of the sources, it is logically not my fault. It becomes yours, since it is your job to supply them when you quote them.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

paco wrote:What dimension are we in?

What particles do we percieve?
You are in the dimension that was created by your memory.

The particles you focus on. What you focus on grows into your experience.

I am focusing on a paradigm shift on a level that will pulse the DNA to transcend humanity. The change must be genetic; at the cellular level for the human race to experience the next pulse of the dramatic shift in evolution.

If you look at the evidence in paleontology, it shows a sudden springing into existence of divergent life forms, as if out of thin air. This tells us there are not gradual, slow, and pokey changes - it is all of a sudden, epic changes. These are huge power surges in consciopusness - and ONE is on its way.
What is?
It is everything you are.
I'm defininetly not in touch with reality...Good time to come on a genius forum, ey...?

What doesn't somebody just waltz over and give my a nice give jiu jitsu take-down.

I'm definitely experiencing a lot of turmoil.

I can't hack into my computer. My dog/cat won't eat it's food. My alarm clock went off early last night. My bossom friend is sleeping with my girlfriend. I have a watch that's broken. I ain't very clever. I have a lot of things to do and nobody to do them with. It's too early to eat and I'm starving. I have dimensia. I am as broke as a weasel. I miss my mom. ZQ

In thee end; there are no friends.
“The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.”
– J. K. Galbraith
dullfangs

Post by dullfangs »

Unattributed quotes mean nothing at best and are plagiarism most of the time. Unless their sources are patent, which in this case they aren't, at least to me. If I am ignorant of the sources, it is logically not my fault. It becomes yours, since it is your job to supply them when you quote them.

But my point is the contradiction, which providing the author has little to do with.
Last edited by dullfangs on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

dullfangs wrote:
The quotations where by Kevin Solway's poison for the weak at heart, which also has a quote "plagiarism is sometimes unrecognized originality", which seems fitting.

But my point is the contradiction, which providing the author has little to do with.
My point is since the idea is not yours, if you nonetheless think enough of it to quote it verbatim (i.e., with quotation marks) it is common discourse practice to supply the source for the benefit of your audience - otherwise, you are saying fuck you to both the audience and the person quoted.

Kevin's work is called Poison for the Heart, by the way. You didn't even get that correct.
paco

Post by paco »

mensa-maniac wrote:
Glostik91 wrote:To all those who claim to be enlightened.

What is the meaning of life?
Mensa says: What is the meaning of YOUR life should be the question, do you really care the meaning of someone else's life?

What is the meaning of your life to you, ask yourself that question. No one knows what the meaning of your life is, and you may not know either. Let me give you some meaning in your life.

You're Meant to Be

Your birthday is so special
The day you were born
Bear in mind you WON the race
Don't feel so forlorn

You raced your way up canal
You came in number one
All the others envied you
Your lot in lifes begun

You made it home to the womb
A haven prepared for you
Why do you suppose you rose
You headed right there too

Your first journey you dated egghead
Together you became embryo
And grew into fetus
Nine months later you show

Your birthday is so special
God's plans are yours to see
Remember when you're down and out
That you were Meant to Be

If there were no meaning in birth then the feminine wouldn't be able to produce, but because we can produce, we are then useful, productive and Meant to Be!
Happy B-day!1 Mensa-maniac
I am illiterate