What is the meaning of life?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Glostik91

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by Glostik91 »

Dennis Mahar wrote:Glos,

Human Being is a form of being that questions being.....

.....So, where Donna is at I guess is feeling unconditional love for herself and all beings.....

.....This provides a meaning that makes sense of Life for a human being......

....Having a meaning as a fixed idea is problematic.....

....Going at it, locked up in a fixed idea delivers suffering.
What is a being?

What is unconditional love?
a gutter rat looking at stars
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

What is a being?
Who's asking?
What is unconditional love?
An arising of a felt sense of generosity toward oneself and other in the light of comprehending 'all is one'.

A relaxation of seeking. A point of relief. A resolution of what was once confusion.
A turnaround for the dreamer in the dream.
A good thing for the business of living.
It's OK.

We are referencing existential existence here Glos.
if there's a knowing of the chords, scales, modes, arpeggios..
and a knowing of the vibrancy of that which those appearances appear to..
then the making of music is available..
as a 'joie de vivre' on the road..
for the time being.
namae nanka

Post by namae nanka »

but what is meaning?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

but what is meaning?
something that matters.
Care.
any and every nuance that can be brought into the experience of having a care.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Dennis Mahar wrote:
What is a being?
Who's asking?
I don't know.
Dennis Mahar wrote: An arising of a felt sense of generosity toward oneself and other in the light of comprehending 'all is one'.

A relaxation of seeking. A point of relief. A resolution of what was once confusion.
A turnaround for the dreamer in the dream.
A good thing for the business of living.
It's OK.

We are referencing existential existence here Glos.
if there's a knowing of the chords, scales, modes, arpeggios..
and a knowing of the vibrancy of that which those appearances appear to..
then the making of music is available..
as a 'joie de vivre' on the road..
for the time being.
All is one? What does this mean?
psychoactive

Post by psychoactive »

Glostik91 wrote:All is one? What does this mean?
Glostik91 wrote:In its wording it is different. In its meaning it is not.
psychoactive

Post by psychoactive »

"What is the meaning of life?"

This question is established on a phantom postulation, there is no intrinsic "meaning" of "life."
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I don't know.
Your nature Glos,
Is no thing,
Can't be seen, heard, touched, smelt, tasted.
Invisible.
Aware, Present.
Void, empty.
Clear,
A Clearing.

Appearances drift across the clearing as clouds do on a sunny day.
Appearances are attached to and made meaningful and become identified with.
Non-duality.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

psychoactive wrote:
Glostik91 wrote:All is one? What does this mean?
Glostik91 wrote:In its wording it is different. In its meaning it is not.
Well done.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Dennis Mahar wrote:
Your nature Glos,
Is no thing,
Can't be seen, heard, touched, smelt, tasted.
Invisible.
Aware, Present.
Void, empty.
Clear,
A Clearing.

Appearances drift across the clearing as clouds do on a sunny day.
Appearances are attached to and made meaningful and become identified with.
Non-duality.
What is your foundation you build these beliefs upon?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

What is your foundation you build these beliefs upon?
No foundation, no belief, no thinking, not mental.

recognition.
Entity

Post by Entity »

What is your directive in posting this question? Obviously you are not satisfied with the answers you are receiving and are skeptical of them. It seems that you are not going to be satisfied with any subjective meanings, so exactly what is it you are hoping to find? Are you looking for someone to affirm what you already know?

Meaning in itself is simply a value that corresponds to something—an emotional association. The word 'meaning' is a human abstraction which, in the colloquial sense, crudely refers to the phenomena of something which is ultimately derivative of an emotional drive. [Note that there are different senses of the word 'meaning', such as "the meaning of the word x is...", which do not refer to the sense in which the word is used in the question "what is the meaning of life?"] To make what I am saying more clear with an example, the meaning of me typing this in the most superficial sense is that I am replying to you. However, there must have been some impetus which caused me to do that, which in this case is that I feel I can answer your question in a satisfactory manner. The reason I would like to do that is because I derive pleasure (emotion) from exercising my intellectual abilities. Consider that meaning in the given sense can only be used sensibly where there is the possibility for some form of emotional determination; "what is the meaning of tin can?" is nonsensical, whereas "what is the meaning of my life?" is intuitively sensible and obviously the result of some emotional uncertainty.

There is no objective meaning in anything, because meaning is exclusively referential to emotional drives in life forms. What it comes down to is that the vast majority of people are people control freaks. They don't want to feel like there is ultimately no real meaning because they are too emotionally invested in their perceived meaningful models of reality. So to answer your question, the meaning of life, if you believe in such a thing, is whatever delusion satisfies that question for you. Now this is the part where people don't like what they have read, so they try to negate it by characterizing me as a hypocrite. Because if they feel I'm a hypocrite, then it is not even necessary that they should regard anything I've said, which would probably make them feel at ease if denial hasn't already seen to that. They ask: (read this like a moron is saying it) "well if there is no meaning to life, then why do you even bother living?" I bother living because I'm a Homo sapien. The survival instinct is hard-wired into me. And since when did I claim that anything I do is rational or logical anyways? lol
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Dennis Mahar wrote:
No foundation, no belief, no thinking, not mental.

recognition.
What are you recognizing?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Entity wrote:What is your directive in posting this question? Obviously you are not satisfied with the answers you are receiving and are skeptical of them. It seems that you are not going to be satisfied with any subjective meanings, so exactly what is it you are hoping to find? Are you looking for someone to affirm what you already know?
I would like people to think about what the meaning of life is.
Entity wrote: Meaning in itself is simply a value that corresponds to something—an emotional association. The word 'meaning' is a human abstraction which, in the colloquial sense, crudely refers to the phenomena of something which is ultimately derivative of an emotional drive. [Note that there are different senses of the word 'meaning', such as "the meaning of the word x is...", which do not refer to the sense in which the word is used in the question "what is the meaning of life?"] To make what I am saying more clear with an example, the meaning of me typing this in the most superficial sense is that I am replying to you. However, there must have been some impetus which caused me to do that, which in this case is that I feel I can answer your question in a satisfactory manner. The reason I would like to do that is because I derive pleasure (emotion) from exercising my intellectual abilities. Consider that meaning in the given sense can only be used sensibly where there is the possibility for some form of emotional determination; "what is the meaning of tin can?" is nonsensical, whereas "what is the meaning of my life?" is intuitively sensible and obviously the result of some emotional uncertainty.

There is no objective meaning in anything, because meaning is exclusively referential to emotional drives in life forms. What it comes down to is that the vast majority of people are people control freaks. They don't want to feel like there is ultimately no real meaning because they are too emotionally invested in their perceived meaningful models of reality. So to answer your question, the meaning of life, if you believe in such a thing, is whatever delusion satisfies that question for you. Now this is the part where people don't like what they have read, so they try to negate it by characterizing me as a hypocrite. Because if they feel I'm a hypocrite, then it is not even necessary that they should regard anything I've said, which would probably make them feel at ease if denial hasn't already seen to that. They ask: (read this like a moron is saying it) "well if there is no meaning to life, then why do you even bother living?" I bother living because I'm a Homo sapien. The survival instinct is hard-wired into me. And since when did I claim that anything I do is rational or logical anyways? lol
So, you are saying that on a superficial level there is meaning, but on an ultimate level there is no meaning. How can this be?
Anders Schlander

Post by Anders Schlander »

Life is whatever exists, the meaning of whatever exists is a dumb question, since the meaning is part of 'whatever exists' for conscious, valuing people. The meaning of life is a lot like a coffee cup on a table, it's the way because of Nature. But since meaning is part of consciousness as soon as there is values, and since consciousness is effectively valuing/discriminating thought processes, consciousness and meaning are integrated, and the specific meaning in our consciousness is of course as it is made to be...there's no mystery, just bad definitions, and bad thinking.

As for what your meaning should be, hard to make that judgement.
Entity

Post by Entity »

Glostik91 wrote: So, you are saying that on a superficial level there is meaning, but on an ultimate level there is no meaning. How can this be?
That's not at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that there are subjective meanings which are idiosyncratic to each person, which originate from their emotional needs. However, these subjective meanings cannot hold up to any objective standards because they are delusions created to satisfy internal needs, and cannot ever be evaluated as objectively true. For example, let's say someone said the meaning of life is to be happy. That is their subjective take on the meaning of life. But anyone can argue that life is not being about happy, and such an argument can go nowhere because neither party is right or wrong; they have different opinions. And of course opinions cannot represent objective truths. So objectively someone can have the thought that the meaning of life is 'x', an opinion, but that does not make what they regard as the meaning objectively true. Those are two completely different phenomena.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Anders Schlander wrote:Life is whatever exists, the meaning of whatever exists is a dumb question, since the meaning is part of 'whatever exists' for conscious, valuing people. The meaning of life is a lot like a coffee cup on a table, it's the way because of Nature. But since meaning is part of consciousness as soon as there is values, and since consciousness is effectively valuing/discriminating thought processes, consciousness and meaning are integrated, and the specific meaning in our consciousness is of course as it is made to be...there's no mystery, just bad definitions, and bad thinking.

If life is whatever exists then a rock is alive?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Entity wrote: That's not at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that there are subjective meanings which are idiosyncratic to each person, which originate from their emotional needs. However, these subjective meanings cannot hold up to any objective standards because they are delusions created to satisfy internal needs, and cannot ever be evaluated as objectively true. For example, let's say someone said the meaning of life is to be happy. That is their subjective take on the meaning of life. But anyone can argue that life is not being about happy, and such an argument can go nowhere because neither party is right or wrong; they have different opinions. And of course opinions cannot represent objective truths. So objectively someone can have the thought that the meaning of life is 'x', an opinion, but that does not make what they regard as the meaning objectively true. Those are two completely different phenomena.
All right, what you're saying is that everyone has their own opinion as to what the meaning of life is.

What is the objective meaning of life?
Entity

Post by Entity »

Glostik91 wrote: All right, what you're saying is that everyone has their own opinion as to what the meaning of life is.

What is the objective meaning of life?
This is in my first post...what I said is that meaning is a product of emotional need. It does not make any sense to try analyze the universe in terms of meaning, because meaning is just a form of emotional interpretation. There is no objective meaning of life, an objective "meaning of life" doesn't even make sense. Trying to find the meaning of life is trying to make emotional sense of physical processes...
Entity

Post by Entity »

Glostik91 wrote:
Anders Schlander wrote:Life is whatever exists, the meaning of whatever exists is a dumb question, since the meaning is part of 'whatever exists' for conscious, valuing people. The meaning of life is a lot like a coffee cup on a table, it's the way because of Nature. But since meaning is part of consciousness as soon as there is values, and since consciousness is effectively valuing/discriminating thought processes, consciousness and meaning are integrated, and the specific meaning in our consciousness is of course as it is made to be...there's no mystery, just bad definitions, and bad thinking.

If life is whatever exists then a rock is alive?
I don't mean to speak for Anders but I think I understand what he is saying and perhaps I can explain what he said well. Whether or not you consider a rock alive depends on how you define life. Perhaps you think life forms are defined by metabolic processes, replication, etc. But trying to determine whether or not a rock is alive is completely missing the point and thinking inside the box. In objective reality there are no so such distinctions between life and non-life. The concept of life itself is a human abstraction which tries to class a set of entities together (life forms) in order to help us make sense of the world. But fundamentally a rock and a life form are the same thing: energy in the universe. In objective reality there are no distinctions between physical process, there are only the processes themselves. The distinctions are made by humans trying to make sense of the world, as our brains are programmed to naturally do.
jufa

Post by jufa »

Because men are conscious aware beings, they are straddled, because of events, with the perpetual question of what is life's meaning? In all the time men have spent reading and searching the volumes of human and spiritual information written by scholars, mystics, and laymen alike concerning life, living, and of all which has been gathered scientifically by means of human experiments, thought analysis, and artificial intelligence sent forth into the minds of men, the earth, and the cosmos, still men are no more knowledgeable as to the meaning of life now, nor that of life's purpose then when their ancestors lived and asked the same questions.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

psychoactive wrote:"What is the meaning of life?"

This question is established on a phantom postulation, there is no intrinsic "meaning" of "life."
How can you know this?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Entity wrote:
This is in my first post...what I said is that meaning is a product of emotional need. It does not make any sense to try analyze the universe in terms of meaning, because meaning is just a form of emotional interpretation. There is no objective meaning of life, an objective "meaning of life" doesn't even make sense. Trying to find the meaning of life is trying to make emotional sense of physical processes...
Why do people have this emotional need?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Entity wrote: I don't mean to speak for Anders but I think I understand what he is saying and perhaps I can explain what he said well. Whether or not you consider a rock alive depends on how you define life. Perhaps you think life forms are defined by metabolic processes, replication, etc. But trying to determine whether or not a rock is alive is completely missing the point and thinking inside the box. In objective reality there are no so such distinctions between life and non-life. The concept of life itself is a human abstraction which tries to class a set of entities together (life forms) in order to help us make sense of the world. But fundamentally a rock and a life form are the same thing: energy in the universe. In objective reality there are no distinctions between physical process, there are only the processes themselves. The distinctions are made by humans trying to make sense of the world, as our brains are programmed to naturally do.
"No distinctions" is this not also a form?
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

jufa wrote:Because men are conscious aware beings, they are straddled, because of events, with the perpetual question of what is life's meaning? In all the time men have spent reading and searching the volumes of human and spiritual information written by scholars, mystics, and laymen alike concerning life, living, and of all which has been gathered scientifically by means of human experiments, thought analysis, and artificial intelligence sent forth into the minds of men, the earth, and the cosmos, still men are no more knowledgeable as to the meaning of life now, nor that of life's purpose then when their ancestors lived and asked the same questions.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
What do we know jufa?