This place has gone to the dogs!

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Carl G

Re: This place has gone to the dogs!

Post by Carl G »

You got that right.

What's more, your thread is destined for demotion to Worldly Claptrap.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

There's a fine line between Genius & Idiot .....lol
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

How's that?
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Well....there's the Idiot-Savant type genius....

i came to this form because E-Sangha is down and i was banned from another form (for saying one wrong word)
and i got bored...so i came here to schmooze...but i can see i don't fit in here ..(that's how i feel everywhere i go !)

maybe i can find a form for misfits !
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

El Dude wrote:What happened to this place, In my youth it used to be a hotbed of intellectuals carefully dissecting the nuances of enlightenment, logical and precise in their treatment, discussing the highest philosophy.

Now look at the topics and the posters: alien abduction, hexagon universe with a computer program, Sun inside the earth, Paco, Pincho Paxton, Tomas, RWI WTF? It looks like a loony bin.

I agree. I just registered here, and I find that the level of thought on this forum is extremely poor and vague. I think it's because QRS aren't posting much/at all of late. Kevin Solway's busy watching videos of Kylie Minogue on Youtube, David Quinn's gone completely insane, and Dan Rowden's married a 12 year old and gone to live in Switzerland.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Sometimes I wonder if the truly wise don't post because its not truly wise to post.

Maybe its like that old saying margaritas ante porcos "pearls before swine".

E.g.

Matthew 7:6
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

El Dude wrote:Are you serious!
Yep.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Nah, Kevin's now a crooner, haven't you seen his new head shot?
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Yes… that is a pity, El Dude, but please keep in mind, absolutely nothing is here to stay, save the Absolute, so no big deal really

Cheers! :)
---------
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Usually it takes a genius to understand a genius. maybe the OP is really insulting themselves?

Like this post for example, it notices something useful about the chosen subject.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

El Dude wrote:
Carl G wrote:You got that right.

I doubt anybody is monitoring the place now. A look at the threads will reveal that.
It is monitored to the extent that spam is removed more or less daily. But yeah, very little else. For example, used to be that images were removed and replaced with links. Now we have images remaining. And, as you noticed, the many Worldly-type threads endlessly clogging up the main forum. Might as well start a BOZO thread here! I guess it just gets tiresome fighting the tide of mediocrity.

What was your user name in your youth, by the way? Do we know you?
Good Citizen Carl
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Animus wrote:Sometimes I wonder if the truly wise don't post because its not truly wise to post.

Ans: If the truly wise were truly wise they'd post, no matter how vague they seem to others.

Maybe its like that old saying margaritas ante porcos "pearls before swine".

E.g.

Matthew 7:6
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."

Ans: Maybe there are pigs here, and pearls of wisdom are being wasted on these swine.

Carl G wrote:
El Dude wrote:
Carl G wrote:You got that right.

I doubt anybody is monitoring the place now. A look at the threads will reveal that.
It is monitored to the extent that spam is removed more or less daily. But yeah, very little else. For example, used to be that images were removed and replaced with links. Now we have images remaining. And, as you noticed, the many Worldly-type threads endlessly clogging up the main forum. Might as well start a BOZO thread here! I guess it just gets tiresome fighting the tide of mediocrity.

Ans: There is no mediocrity in logic! Who's the BOZO?

What was your user name in your youth, by the way? Do we know you?
Ans: To many to name, and yes you know me![

quote="Pincho Paxton"]Usually it takes a genius to understand a genius. maybe the OP is really insulting themselves?

Yes, I totally agree!

What is meant by OP?

Like this post for example, it notices something useful about the chosen subject.[/quote]
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Original Poster.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

El Dude wrote:In my youth it used to be a hotbed of intellectuals .
Dude, only in your self-aggrandizing dreams of old. Stupidity, like the poor, will always be crowding in places like this, drawn like moths. Perhaps you grew more sensitive to it?
Animus

Post by Animus »

I heard this used to be a hotbed of stimulating intellectual intercourse.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

You're right, wisdom gets old but claptrap is timeless and always in vogue.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

dogs....mans best friend...

so why don't you have an application process in order to join this form ?

seriously

only let those that pass certain standards... be able to register

(like an I.Q. test)
Is.

Post by Is. »

Kunga wrote:There's a fine line between Genius & Idiot .....lol
I think is both true and false.

It is false in the sense that a genius is without ignorance, and hence do not construct ignorance-based concepts.

It is true in the sense that when Ultimate Reality is realized, everything looses meaning and significance and is therefore sacred and unholy at the same time. So if I do something that in the eyes of the society is generally regarded as idiotic, like running naked through town or puking on high art, that may actually be God gloriously expressing Himself in a divine, radiant dance. Yeah, God in the eyes of the society would be a complete idiot in the sense that God knows none of our fictitious mental boundaries and freely expresses Herself in whatever way It does.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Is. wrote:
Kunga wrote:There's a fine line between Genius & Idiot .....lol
I think is both true and false.

It is false in the sense that a genius is without ignorance, and hence do not construct ignorance-based concepts.

It is true in the sense that when Ultimate Reality is realized, everything looses meaning and significance and is therefore sacred and unholy at the same time. So if I do something that in the eyes of the society is generally regarded as idiotic, like running naked through town or puking on high art, that may actually be God gloriously expressing Himself in a divine, radiant dance. Yeah, God in the eyes of the society would be a complete idiot in the sense that God knows none of our fictitious mental boundaries and freely expresses Herself in whatever way It does.

Yes...these words are concepts...in Ultimate Reality there is no need for conceptualizing.
It seems like most of what i try to convey is a little off (or a lot)...

i think my intensions were to be defensive in my response to the insulting remarks aimed towards those that
were being ridiculed , because they ...in the eyes of El Dude (and others) do not hold the same intellectual capacities...and want to discuss topics irrelevant to the mature scientific and philosophical community here.

This is a form for serious intelligent discussion....and i respect that...and i will try to learn something here if i can....i know i have had a problem for a long time with right speech...i am ready to evolve...
Animus

Post by Animus »

It is my view that people always talk about real phenomena, but it is muddied by other conscious content which obscures its nature. We assign emotive or proprioceptive feedback to the reality unwittingly.

Although language is the primary vehicle for conveying perceived truth it is obfuscated on the receiving end. Not only is it a challenge to find sufficient terminology one can never account for the thinking in the listener. Words are generally interpreted in a subtly dualistic fashion. Everything has a context in dualistic consciousness that is phenomenally immutable, we are only capable of recognizing it cognitively.

I personally find my mind to be difficult to apprehend in totality. I am constantly finding subtle distortions, traces of egoic influence, lies, etc... Comparatively I think I'm a fairly honest person, but I must be humble. Its not an easy thing this philosophical journey.

I think the OP has a really good point here. There is a lot of certitude drowning out any doubt on this forum. My journey has brought me to this point; I have a lot to think about and talk about as regards life, origins, causation, brains and religion. I've been to several message boards and social networking sites online and found naught but ego-fencing, political and philosophical diatribe. Then I found this forum, founded in the spirit of genuine truth-seeking, but it is flooded with egoic banter as of late.

I realize how difficult it is to achieve equanimity, perhaps others don't, it's difficult to be cognitively aware of bias. I find it runs so deep that regardless of what I do there will be traces of ego. This post must be based on an egoic attachment to this forum and the desire to maintain its use. And so I wonder if the truly wise don't speak knowing that all discourse is egoic and has a tendency to descend into all-out-war.

There is no refuge I guess.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

If you folk can't maintain quality discussion without the constant input of "QRS", what does that say about you?
Foreigner

Post by Foreigner »

Well, it may say that qrs have over-estimated the lot of 'em.... or,,,
that there are no head-guru-wannabees quite ready yet to assume the position of
board answer-man or.... if so,,,
he or she may be justifiably disinterested while kept well in the dark and,,,
treated with suspicion, pretension and undue caution or,
generally mishandled misjudged and dis-respected.
But if all that's a stretch perhaps it merely says and proves that discussion forums suffer greatly for lack of clear and stable leadership, authority and routine maintenance.
Shit, ridiculous secrecy and lack of communication cant help much either, people tend not to invest in things for which they have little control and may disappear overnight.
FOREIGNER
Pye

Post by Pye »

Dan Rowden: If you folk can't maintain quality discussion without the constant input of "QRS", what does that say about you?
I think it says more about you (QRS/ideological directors). There is a way to teach that encourages dependency, and a way to teach that does not . . . . One cannot complain about being made the center of attention/the holder of the apple, when they have positioned themselves/their thinking as the center of attention/the holder of the apple. Now you will have to ween, as some of the comments here show you (and the necessity of your response bears out). Some of the children are crying without their milk . . . . You'all have reaped what you have sown, even if in the end, what Dan says here must eventually reign supreme.

You took the long way round. Dependency doesn't happen unless it is encouraged (however unconsciously). You might own up to the overall dynamic some day. And perhaps the next time you "teach," you yourselves will be better aware of what you are sowing . . . .
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Pye,

I think dependents emerge merely as a result of someone speaking with a strong conviction, and not showing any sort of emotional weakness. Mentally unstable people are attracted to what they are not: namely, dominance and confidence in thought and action.

The admins merely spoke the truth with confidence, and that sort of display always attracts individuals who are not confident in their own thinking.

This explains why many women are attracted to any sort of display of dominance of confidence, even if it is egotistical and immature.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Ryan: The admins merely spoke the truth with confidence
Oh, I don't know, Ryan. I'd think a little harder into the subtler dynamics over the years of this forum. It's true I have not been here as long or as often as many others, but it's there to see.
Ryan: I think dependents emerge merely as a result of someone speaking with a strong conviction, and not showing any sort of emotional weakness. Mentally unstable people are attracted to what they are not: namely, dominance and confidence in thought and action.
. . . . and that sort of display always attracts individuals who are not confident in their own thinking.
Again, this is also something that can be taught against, by the best and subtlest of teachers.

Those who are already of independent mind are already able to guide themselves to agreement (and disagreement) with the hosts. And with truth.

Saying "I" have it and you can get it from me keeps dependent the student and forefront the teacher (the error of so many gurus). The task is to teach the way to this independent mind so they can get it themselves. All other learning is a process of grafting, as opposed to grasping. Learning like the former can dry up into a scab, get picked at, fall off. It isn't learning at all. The latter has to take place at the individual, cellular level.

The only thing you can teach a person is how to see; not what. They can grasp the what for themselves when they know how . . . .