A Simple Question

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
chikoka

A Simple Question

Post by chikoka »

Or maybe not.

How can the past affect the present if it does not exist?
It did exist once but while the past existed how could it have affected the present (its future) if the present did not exist then?

One avenue of thought would be to say that the past somehow exists *now*.
But that seems to me a contradiction in terms.
The past is defined as *not now* (as well as *not future*) so its important to realise the difference in terms between when we are thinking of *now* and time past.

Another way would be to say that the present contains within it information about the past , but my question would be how did it get there?
A seemingly stupid question but when you think of it ,it gets somewhat tricky.
Thats the crux of this whole issue just said in another way.

Another more promissing way would be to take a functional view of all this.

The present would be the function of the previous moment, while the previous moment would be just the function of the moment before that , and so on.
The problem with this is that how is the information being past from one function to the other?

The word passing is a verb and so requires *time* to accomplish .
When we are speaking of the functions generating the univese at each moment we have to see that we are speaking of the process *of* time and not *in* time , so it would not make sense to use the word passing in that manner.

The most promising way out that i have is that there has to be two time dimensions, or at least the stub of a second time dimension.
Then the present, past and future would have as an image one quanta of time frome this other time dimension which would have to be reffered as the *now* on that dimension.

It would then make sense to say that the past and the present do in fact exist now ,using the now of the second time dimension.

Understand that it does not have to be fully temporal in nature as i beleive since this could be a way out in quantum physics,
It would be this second quasi temporal dimension thats messing around with the integrity of the mass - space relationship as reflected on the other, normal time dimension.

My task would then be a simple one.
To fine tune the properties of this dimension untill it can explain fully the current discoveries in quantum mechanics , and then use it to predict other as yet unexperienced phenomena.
I admit it might just be something that is not a separator (dimension) or a separant (matter-energy).Something else altogether.

What do you think?
baulz owt

Re: A Simple Question

Post by baulz owt »

...Time? Time is an illusion. The only time now is party time. Seriously though, cause and effect. The past and future are made up in your head, stay present in this moment. Quantum mechanics is getting at what any wise person has discovered through logic (everything being One). Worldly folks love "dimensions" blah blah. Worldly fucks can worry about quarks all they want but it has nothing over truth.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

The cause IS the past. The effect IS the present.
Since every effect is also a cause, the present continually becomes amended to the past. The future lies in the past, and seems to be a mystery only because of the organism's inability to grasp the fullness of the causes which create it.
baulz owt

Post by baulz owt »

whatever shitface
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

baulz owt wrote:whatever shitface
Are you talking to me?
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Time is a fuzzy map. It is Google Earth written as Google Every possibility. But the map only exists at the moment it is made.