God???

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
paco

Re: God???

Post by paco »

Robert wrote:
brokenhead wrote:Why is it wishful? I know I didn't wish it.
Any reasoning on the nature of these Gods we're imagining will be wishful by definition, since we have no evidence (empirical or metaphysical) that they nothing more than fantasy and delusion. Housing a psychological framework on such porous foundations isn't something I'm interested in. How can certainty have holes?
brokenhead wrote:Totality and Nature are both nouns. In what way are you using them differently? Are they synonyms? In my own head, they are not.
Totality = non-divided, undivisible Nature.
Ok. So, did you grow up believing superman wore a red cape?

It is totality to say God for instance is the bigger mastermind behind this whole ordeal. God came first. Notwithstanding, He is just a God.
Picture yourself doodling with time. Time is untouchable, untraceable, and yet it is the factor for millions of creatures. Suppose that this theory is merely a pattern of time, self, and realization/coming like an hour glass.
I am illiterate
paco

Post by paco »

It is our infinite nature to disbelieve that which is finite.
I am illiterate
Blair

Post by Blair »

Actually it's the other way around.

Our finite (material) nature causes us to disbelieve the infinite. But this is Gods plan.
Robert

Post by Robert »

paco wrote:So, did you grow up believing superman wore a red cape?
No.
paco wrote:It is totality to say God for instance is the bigger mastermind behind this whole ordeal.
Ordeal? Can't be much of a mastermind if it was an ordeal.
paco wrote:God came first.
Came before what? The Totality? How could he since the Totality is infinite in nature?
paco wrote:Notwithstanding, He is just a God.
Yeah, just some old fart hanging around, bored out of his finite mind, no doubt.
paco wrote:Picture yourself doodling with time. Time is untouchable, untraceable, and yet it is the factor for millions of creatures. Suppose that this theory is merely a pattern of time, self, and realization/coming like an hour glass.
What the hell are you on about?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Robert wrote:Any reasoning on the nature of these Gods we're imagining will be wishful by definition, since we have no evidence (empirical or metaphysical) that they nothing more than fantasy and delusion. Housing a psychological framework on such porous foundations isn't something I'm interested in. How can certainty have holes?
But certainty is the biggest delusion of them all, Robert. Surely this must be obvious to you. People believe in electrons, for example, because the model that includes them is consistent. It is by no means certain that they, in fact, exist.

I think you were missing my very important point about the word "wishful" you have been using. I am trying to make it clear that I do not wish for a God, meaning I would rather that God exists than that he does not. I believe he exists because imagining him to exists is more consistent than imagining that he does not. This is very much like imagining that electrons exist. I have never seen electrons, either. In fact, I infer their existence from reading about experiments that I have never performed which were conducted by people I have never met nor spoken with.

The fact is that if you dig elsewhere in your Weltanschauung, other than at the place which represents what you suppose other people hold as religious beliefs, you will see that the new place you are digging is porous as well. If not, you clearly have more digging to do.

Try to apply A=A to the chair in which you sit. Before you can declare it is itself and not something else, you must be certain of what it is. Yet it is not what it was a minute ago, as that slight adjustment you made in the way you were sitting has either scraped off or added electrons to its surface. It addition, since it is porous, some molecules from the atmosphere have become part of what you are calling the chair, and it has expelled some gases back out into the air in a sort of dynamic equilibrium. It does not exists in a total vacuum; it cannot, since such a thing does not exist. Therefore, what is your nonporous concept of the chair about which you are saying A=A?

The worldview you take for granted exists within you. It was not always there. You had to build it up piece by piece over many years. Maybe it is not obvious, but it should be, that you are still building it. It was not handed to you en masse. It was parceled out, and no matter what you were told about playing with matches, you had to burn your fingers a time or two to get the message. If A, in fact, =A, there would be less disagrement in the world. Consensus is built on consistency. My contention is that your reality is by nature riddled with holes, as is mine. To switch the metaphor , you do not know where the ice is thin until you fall through or see someone else fall through. Yet this does not keep you from skating.

I disagree with what most people offer as their religious beliefs. But if I concluded that this meant God does not exist, I could be doing myself a profound disservice. I have no proof that he does not. What I have are strong suspicions that Scientologists are cynical tax-dodgers and prey on the weaknesses of others. This does not prevent me from speculating on man's origins. Why should it?
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

To switch the metaphor , you do not know where the ice is thin until you fall through or see someone else fall through. Yet this does not keep you from skating.
Well, it keeps me from skating. One thing that terrifies me is walking out over a frozen lake. It is the stuff of nightmares. I lost a very good friend---a wonderful donkey named Beaujangles---to a thin spot on a frozen lake.

As to the rest of the post, I thought it expressed very clearly some useful and relevant---if not essential---ideas.
fiat mihi
Robert

Post by Robert »

brokenhead wrote:But certainty is the biggest delusion of them all, Robert. Surely this must be obvious to you.
Certainty is entirely possible. A=A is the perfect example. Truth in action.

I'm not sure the rest of the post has anything to do with what I've said. You're making a lot of assumptions that don't ring true in me, so I can't really respond.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Robert wrote:
brokenhead wrote:But certainty is the biggest delusion of them all, Robert. Surely this must be obvious to you.
Certainty is entirely possible. A=A is the perfect example. Truth in action.

I'm not sure the rest of the post has anything to do with what I've said. You're making a lot of assumptions that don't ring true in me, so I can't really respond.
Other than the trivial example where A is the Totality, give me an example from real life, from Nature, where A=A.

A=A is an assumption upon which we act. We have no choice but to act upon it, as Diebert has pointed out. But when is it other than an assumption? Start with any physical thing and convince me that A=A is truth in action as opposed to assumption of truth in action. Or I'll make it easier. Show me where it represents certainty, which you say is entirely possible. I say certainty is entirely possible because we act upon it - but that does not change the fact that it is an illusion based on at least one assumption, usually countless assumptions.

That what I am saying does not ring true in you is what I meant by saying you are not doing enough digging.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

I disagree. I need to know what God is, and what he's not. My ego demands it, it wants certainty. Now that I have an answer, I can let God live my life.
Yet you want to equate God with the Totality, and we have decided it neither exists and nor does not exist. So how can you know what the Totality is, if it cannot logically be said that it is?

The language is what I am trying to pin down. In two different posts, you said these two things:
It just raises too many unanswerable questions to be any real use, and even if it were the case, Totality would still be Totality. By definition, Nature would still be beyond it all.
AND
Totality = non-divided, undivisible Nature.
Nature is beyond what "all'?

If Totality is non-divided and indivisible Nature, then than implies at least a redundancy. If it is indivisible, then it MUST be non-divided and CANNOT EVER be anything else, by definition. If so, then what I am asking you is in your view, is Nature synonymous with the Totality? If not, when and how is it not, since you are claiming it is "beyond it all"?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

What I am trying to do is to indicate what I see as the extremely limited usefulness the concept of Totality provides. It is virtually useless in any possible way, by its own definition. Nothing can be said about it or gleaned from it that is particularly useful. To say a thing A is part of the Totality says nothing that the definition of the Totality does not already say. In fact, the definition of the Totality says precisely the same thing and no more about any and every arbitrary thing B. Therefore, no understanding of the Totality can possibly offer any insight about the relationship, if any, between A and B, where A and B are any two things.

Just as a concept riddled with holes does not interest you, Robert, I find this concept of the Totality mind-numbing in its sheer uselessness. It could not be less interesting by definition. It is the perfect and ultimate intellectual cul de sac. Equating God with it renders God as meaningless, which if that is the way you see God, does make perfect logical sense.
Robert

Post by Robert »

brokenhead wrote:Start with any physical thing and convince me that A=A is truth in action as opposed to assumption of truth in action. Or I'll make it easier. Show me where it represents certainty, which you say is entirely possible.
Take any object you like, the space bar on your keyboard for example. I'm certain that your space bar isn't the Moon. Is it legitimate to have doubts about that? On what reasonable grounds could you argue that my certainty of this is unfounded?
brokenhead wrote:is Nature synonymous with the Totality?
Yes, I'm equating Nature with the Totality, I consider them synonymes.
brokenhead wrote:Nature is beyond what "all'?
In saying that it is "beyond it all", I was responding to your conception of God, you said "Nature would be a manifestation of God's creation." In what way can you imagine that these course of events took place, where there wasn't Nature but only God, then God manifests Nature. Please describe what you mean by this. To me, this is illogical and gets to to the heart of our differences.
brokenhead wrote:What I am trying to do is to indicate what I see as the extremely limited usefulness the concept of Totality provides. It is virtually useless in any possible way, by its own definition. Nothing can be said about it or gleaned from it that is particularly useful.
Just as a concept riddled with holes does not interest you, Robert, I find this concept of the Totality mind-numbing in its sheer uselessness. It could not be less interesting by definition. It is the perfect and ultimate intellectual cul de sac. Equating God with it renders God as meaningless, which if that is the way you see God, does make perfect logical sense.
Things are coming full circle...
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Robert wrote:In saying that it is "beyond it all", I was responding to your conception of God, you said "Nature would be a manifestation of God's creation." In what way can you imagine that these course of events took place, where there wasn't Nature but only God, then God manifests Nature. Please describe what you mean by this. To me, this is illogical and gets to to the heart of our differences.
I agree that you are zeroing in our differences.

I do not imagine any course of events as you put it. Rather, I will stick by my definition of Nature as to include everything that I can know or infer to exist, either by direct perception or theoretical abstraction, as long as I insist that any such abstraction is consistent with empirical evidence that I have, and that I must alter any abstraction or theoretical framework to adapt to new empirical facts which undoubtedly will come. This view of Nature is NOT synonymous in my view with the abstraction we are calling Totality, because we have agreed that Totality and only Totality can neither be said to exist to not to exist. Nature, as I see it, exists.
Take any object you like, the space bar on your keyboard for example. I'm certain that your space bar isn't the Moon. Is it legitimate to have doubts about that? On what reasonable grounds could you argue that my certainty of this is unfounded?
How is this a demonstration of A=A? You say take any object I like. I will take the planet Venus. You say you are certain that Venus is not the Moon. Granted, we proceed on the basis of countless such certainties, but in reality, they are assumptions we make because they are consistent with our other assumptions. Logically, you are saying A is not B, which is not the same as saying A=A. You cannot be certain that A (Venus) equals A because you do not know what Venus is. In addition, you would have to be making the assumption that Venus never changes in order for you to say with logical certainty what it is. Since you cannot, it involves a definition supplied by you and agreed upon by whomever you are trying to convince that Venus is not the moon as to what Venus is before you can go on to say it is not the moon. An observer far enough away might not be able to distinguish them by any means and may not agree to your supplied definition. A being even further away might not agree that either or both exist at all.

Indeed, if as our hosts here would have it that all boundaries are illusions, then for us to be certain the moon is not Venus, we must first agree on assumptions about which illusions we will admit and which we will discount. If we discount them all, then the terms moon and Venus are arbitrary inventions (or conventons) that do not correspond to reality.

I am not saying A=A is useless, but rather it always involves assumptions, even in apparently obvious cases.
Robert

Post by Robert »

brokenhead wrote:I do not imagine any course of events as you put it. Rather, I will stick by my definition of Nature as to include everything that I can know or infer to exist, either by direct perception or theoretical abstraction, as long as I insist that any such abstraction is consistent with empirical evidence that I have, and that I must alter any abstraction or theoretical framework to adapt to new empirical facts which undoubtedly will come. This view of Nature is NOT synonymous in my view with the abstraction we are calling Totality, because we have agreed that Totality and only Totality can neither be said to exist to not to exist. Nature, as I see it, exists.
The same can be said of Nature as you say of the Totality, Nature can be said to exist and to not exist, just like you and I. That's what I understand having inherent existence means - we only exist in relation to others things, what we're not etc. To your reasoning, one lesser thing (Nature) is said to have existence within a larger non-existing/existing thing (Totality). (That's a pretty mashed up way of presenting things, sorry, I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can.) To me, Nature is by necessity the Totality, it can't be any other way. Even if you were presented with empirical evidence that a God-like entity came along and kick-started a few space-time bubbles somewhere, they would also by necessity be part of the whole, part of Nature. My perspective is as large as possible, it must be.
brokenhead wrote:How is this a demonstration of A=A? You say take any object I like. I will take the planet Venus.
It's a demsonstration of the Law of logic, of which A=A is part, which states that a thing cannot be itself and something else at the same time. I'm surprised by your response, you come up with this example and criticism of A=A with Venus and skirt past my own example. Evoking the illusory nature of boundaries is fine, but this doesn't really have a direct relationship to A=A, well it does, but at least not in an immediate sense.

The point I was trying to make was that it's our consciousness that drives A=A, as Diebert said, it's our way of identifying and naming things. Through this, we can reason correctly (and incorrectly) about the nature of things, and, eventually, come to the understanding of the illusory nature of boundaries, existence, the self... To me, an intimate apprehension of this state of affairs is far from being an intellectual cul de sac.
paco

Post by paco »

What makes this God different from other god's is that this one has a throne and a name.

God separates himself from man.

Man creates hollywood.

God sends his wrath to man.

Man just responds with an email.

God sends his messenger.

Man is awakened to enlightenment then annihilates him.
Last edited by paco on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am illiterate
Robert

Post by Robert »

paco, why did you delete your posts in this thread a couple of days ago? Cos this last one isn't much better.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Robert wrote:I'm surprised by your response, you come up with this example and criticism of A=A with Venus and skirt past my own example. Evoking the illusory nature of boundaries is fine, but this doesn't really have a direct relationship to A=A, well it does, but at least not in an immediate sense.
But isn't it immediate?
Know that any boundary line you draw to designate a "beginning" will by necessity be totally arbitrary. Nonetheless such boundaries must be made-up for practical purposes, there being no demarcations in reality. The crucial thing to remember while we go about our business is that all boundaries are drawn by the imagination, and are therefore illusory. I bid you never forget this truth!
-Kevin Solway, Poison for the Heart/Cause and Effect
I merely gave Venus as an example because it is more similar to the moon than my spacebar and easier for me to discuss.

My point is the same, regardless. A=A only holds absolutely when A is an abstraction, such as in mathematical discourse. When that same mental apparatus is employed for things with a noumenal existence, we must first agree - if we are communicating, that is - on definitions. Since the boundaries of both moon and spacebar are imaginary, when one discusses either thing with someone else, isn't one tacitly assuming the other person's imaginary boundaries are the same?
paco

Post by paco »

Robert wrote:paco, why did you delete your posts in this thread a couple of days ago? Cos this last one isn't much better.
Robert,

You don't wanna know what I went through the last couple of days. I have this friend who was near to me for ten years then suddenly dropped our friendship(I guess he kinda wanted me to grow up a little) which pretty much frightened me and gave me a scare. I don't always picture perfect things but this one time I need everyone to understand that this was just illusions from the heart. I suppose rembrant cut off his ear for a reason.
I am illiterate
Robert

Post by Robert »

brokenhead wrote:But isn't it immediate?
I meant in the process of understanding. Roughly speaking, first we identify things, then we examine them, then we realise the lack of their inherent existence and their lack of boundaries, then we go back to indentifying. First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is a mountain again.
brokenhead wrote:Since the boundaries of both moon and spacebar are imaginary, when one discusses either thing with someone else, isn't one tacitly assuming the other person's imaginary boundaries are the same?
Yes, I agree we do that. That doesn't deny the practicality of A=A though, does it?
Robert

Post by Robert »

paco wrote:
Robert wrote:paco, why did you delete your posts in this thread a couple of days ago? Cos this last one isn't much better.
Robert,

You don't wanna know what I went through the last couple of days. I have this friend who was near to me for ten years then suddenly dropped our friendship(I guess he kinda wanted me to grow up a little) which pretty much frightened me and gave me a scare. I don't always picture perfect things but this one time I need everyone to understand that this was just illusions from the heart. I suppose rembrant cut off his ear for a reason.
A good friend should be like your worst enemy at times.

Van Gogh, not Rembrandt, cut off his ear.
divine focus

Post by divine focus »

Robert wrote:
paco wrote:God came first.
Came before what? The Totality? How could he since the Totality is infinite in nature?
Totality is the Son. It is becoming.
eliasforum.org/digests.html
paco

Post by paco »

God is the center of existence. God meaning the partially, deviant, co-inhabitant of X.

Did you know that babies are born on jupiter?
I am illiterate
paco

Post by paco »

Carl G wrote:
paco wrote:God is apprenhensible and geniunly friendly
How do you ascertain this, how do you know it?
God, in turn, only is debatable.
In what sense? How do you define God? Obviously as an entity which can be friendly, which is a personal god, a person of sorts, right?

If God is apprehensible, what is there to debate?

Is God apprehensible? Is Totality apprehensible?
Carl,,,

I can define you as God! Lol
I am illiterate
Tomhargen

Post by Tomhargen »

A=A is simply a tool. It is, as quite a few of you have said, an assumption.

In daily life it is extremely practical. I would not want to sit in my chair if there were a chance that my chair was not a chair.

As Robert said, A=A is simply a Law of Logic. How could you reasonably define the relationship between any two objects without first being able to rely upon your definitions of the objects in question?

The totality is by simple definition, referring to everything. This is infinite and cannot be, in the words of Heinlein, "grokked" (understood in its entirety) as, by definition it includes all things, the corresponding negations, and every possible existence, nonexistence, contradiction, malediction, limited edition :) (and so on) of that thing. Which leads one to logically conclude that, if Totality is infinite, then A does not equal A. Well I guess that at some junctures it does, but it would hardly be reliable.

So that leads me into my definition of Nature. Nature refers to all things that can be perceived. We can speak of Totality but can we, at any juncture, perceive it? Is there any point where we feel/hear/see/smell/touch or understand The Totality? No. Nature is referring to the set of all things in which A does equal A.

Which, luckily, leads me into the definition of God. God is the dividing line between Totality and Nature, and is what truly lies at the heart of this debate. This is where personal beliefs come in and completely fuck up any version of rationality that was there, and where no one convinces anyone of anything. Some say they can perceive God, some say that they can't.
God is not a being. God is the representation in nature of something that is essentially unnatural. Basically, the concept of God is the acceptance that A does not equal A.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Tomhargen wrote:The totality is by simple definition, referring to everything. This is infinite and cannot be, in the words of Heinlein, "grokked" (understood in its entirety) as, by definition it includes all things, the corresponding negations, and every possible existence, nonexistence, contradiction, malediction, limited edition :) (and so on) of that thing. Which leads one to logically conclude that, if Totality is infinite, then A does not equal A. Well I guess that at some junctures it does, but it would hardly be reliable.
This is a misunderstanding of the law of identity. It's assuming, wrongly, that A stands for something specific, namely, the Totality, in order to identify the Totality as itself. But obviously, to make that act of identification, A=A must exist as a law prior to that act of identification. It is therefore never revoked by any attempt to use it, or deny it.

Also, the statement you gave defining the Totality relies on A=A. The Infinite is all acts of identification; wisdom doesn't deny A=A or revoke that law, but it rests after realising that there is no identity that encompasses the Totality.
So that leads me into my definition of Nature. Nature refers to all things that can be perceived.
Why aren't the causes for perception (which cannot be perceived) a part of Nature?
We can speak of Totality but can we, at any juncture, perceive it? Is there any point where we feel/hear/see/smell/touch or understand The Totality? No.
Everything is the Totality, perception, sensory data, and everything else. There isn't a moment when we're not feeling/hearing/seeing/smelling/touching and understanding the Totality. It is every act of perception, every movement of understanding. It's not separate from anything we do. We are, completely and absolutely, the Totality, as well as what ever causes us.
Which, luckily, leads me into the definition of God. God is the dividing line between Totality and Nature,
There is no dividing line, because the boundary between perception and non-perception is an illusion.

Tomhargen

Post by Tomhargen »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Tomhargen wrote:The totality is by simple definition, referring to everything. This is infinite and cannot be, in the words of Heinlein, "grokked" (understood in its entirety) as, by definition it includes all things, the corresponding negations, and every possible existence, nonexistence, contradiction, malediction, limited edition :) (and so on) of that thing. Which leads one to logically conclude that, if Totality is infinite, then A does not equal A. Well I guess that at some junctures it does, but it would hardly be reliable.
This is a misunderstanding of the law of identity. It's assuming, wrongly, that A stands for something specific, namely, the Totality, in order to identify the Totality as itself. But obviously, to make that act of identification, A=A must exist as a law prior to that act of identification. It is therefore never revoked by any attempt to use it, or deny it.

I was not referring to A as the totality. I was saying that if Totality is infinite then A does not equal A. For ANY definition of A.

For Ms. Jones- The infinite includes all acts of identification but that is not all it is. Infinity means that every single thing is possible. If everything is possible then A=A only sometimes. A=A only pertains to what we can perceive of infinity.
Kelly Jones wrote:Why aren't the causes for perception (which cannot be perceived) a part of Nature?
Nature is describing things which are natural. Which according to Webster is existing in or in conformity with the observable world. So nature is what we can observe or in other words perceive. That is it's actual definition.
Kelly Jones wrote:Everything is the Totality, perception, sensory data, and everything else. There isn't a moment when we're not feeling/hearing/seeing/smelling/touching and understanding the Totality. It is every act of perception, every movement of understanding. It's not separate from anything we do. We are, completely and absolutely, the Totality, as well as what ever causes us.
Could one ever possibly perceive everything all at once? If not, then one can not perceive Totality.