Religion: Nothing More Than A Comfort

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Re: Religion: Nothing More Than A Comfort

Post by David Quinn »

brokenhead wrote: And if you had even the slightest familiarity with the New Testament, you would see that when David quotes Christ, he does so extremely selectively. Bear in mind that the assholes at the "God Hates Fags" website also quote Christ selectively.
It's not a matter of being "selective". It's a matter of seeing into the heart and soul of Jesus and then interpreting everything in the Gospels in that light.

But when you attempt to define God, you are left with the choice of doing so logically as is our good hosts' wont, or doing so in a personal way, which they seem to eschew on philosophical grounds.
The ideal is combine both.

-
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

David Quinn wrote:It's not a matter of being "selective". It's a matter of seeing into the heart and soul of Jesus and then interpreting everything in the Gospels in that light.
Hi David,

I find it's a matter of actually walking in Christ's footsteps, and as a result having the Christ Spirit dwelling within us. Which of course will of itself naturally flow forth in our every word, thought, and deed. And one will thereby also definitely be a true light unto himself and others.

One could too say that in order to perfectly understand Christ he must be a long, long way into understanding himself, his fellows, and the fallen human condition. And lastly I would add that to understand Christ one must also understand his shortcomings. As a result of his own many trials and tribulations.

Bob M.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Bob Michael wrote: I find it's a matter of actually walking in Christ's footsteps, and as a result having the Christ Spirit dwelling within us. Which of course will of itself naturally flow forth in our every word, thought, and deed. And one will thereby also definitely be a true light unto himself and others.

One could too say that in order to perfectly understand Christ he must be a long, long way into understanding himself, his fellows, and the fallen human condition. And lastly I would add that to understand Christ one must also understand his shortcomings. As a result of his own many trials and tribulations.
If I understand it right, and I must start with the assumption that I likely don't, but here goes: Jesus was an enlightened master. He saw that all there is is all there is, and all that is, is God. We call that The Totality. He did away with all human delusiion and so when he looked at the world, the kosmos, he saw only what is there and nothing else. No overlay, no interposition of any previous idea, hope, fear, what-have-you. This and nothing else is what he taught. If there is any additional material overlayed on Jesus (i.e. on the life he lived or his teachings), it is added material and essentially false. The core Jesus teachings are not in fact either spiritual or religious, and they have no connection to any historical Jewish process, none of that. Jesus believed that in order to gain this freedom of which he is the example, you had to ruthlessly cut yourself away from your context, and the example from this is when he spoke of leacing brother and sister, mother and father, etc. Now then, there is no 'heaven' because there is no continuation when you die of what you are, even if you have attained the realization of Jesus, that is, Enlightenment. When David speaks of "seeing into the heart of Jesus and interpreting from that", this is what one necessarily sees and understands.

Although there are many, many different 'interpretations' of who Jesus was, what his mission was, and what he in fact taught, the one I have offered is the Genius Forum definition and it is the correct one. It is the truer one is perhaps the best way to describe it. (You have to give up relationships and shopping sprees too.)

"What I find" is not sufficient as criteria. I could "find" that Jesus recommended giving lollipops to children as the key to entering heaven, but it doesn't mean that it is right. When you know, you know, and when you know you teach, and you teach correctly.
fiat mihi
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Talking Ass wrote:Although there are many, many different 'interpretations' of who Jesus was, what his mission was, and what he in fact taught, the one I have offered is the Genius Forum definition and it is the correct one. It is the truer one is perhaps the best way to describe it. (You have to give up relationships and shopping sprees too.)

"What I find" is not sufficient as criteria. I could "find" that Jesus recommended giving lollipops to children as the key to entering heaven, but it doesn't mean that it is right. When you know, you know, and when you know you teach, and you teach correctly.
Hi TA,

I would add to my previous post that in order for the Christ Spirit to enter and dwell in one's being he must also live Christ's basic teachings.

Which I find are essentially as follows:

One must be reborn or born again. This being in the context of having a radical shift or fall back in consciousness take place in the person. Similarly to what J. Krishnamurti too promoted, however unfortunately only half-heartedly as time went on.

He must then completely detach himself from the old, the safe, the familiar, the mediocre in order to begin the new life. One in which the old falsely-conditioned self dies or falls away. (Luke 18: 29-30)

Then there's the need for soul searching and repentance, thereby clearing up the wreckage of one's past. Which is vital in order to come to fully experience a brand new life. One that's free of all conflict and thereby full of harmony and genuine peace of mind.

And then there's the need for the never ending purification of the mind functioning in action on the firing line of life. Which Paul put rather well and simply in Romans 12:2 as follows:

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

Bob M.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Bob Michael wrote: I would add to my previous post that in order for the Christ Spirit to enter and dwell in one's being he must also live Christ's basic teachings.

Which I find are essentially as follows:

One must be reborn or born again. This being in the context of having a radical shift or fall back in consciousness take place in the person. Similarly to what J. Krishnamurti too promoted, however unfortunately only half-heartedly as time went on.

He must then completely detach himself from the old, the safe, the familiar, the mediocre in order to begin the new life. One in which the old falsely-conditioned self dies or falls away. (Luke 18: 29-30)

Then there's the need for soul searching and repentance, thereby clearing up the wreckage of one's past. Which is vital in order to come to fully experience a brand new life. One that's free of all conflict and thereby full of harmony and genuine peace of mind.

And then there's the need for the never ending purification of the mind functioning in action on the firing line of life. Which Paul put rather well and simply in Romans 12:2 as follows:
I would say, though I am hardly one to judge, that what you say is correct. In any case, to my (long and able but forever afflicted) ears. Allow me to ask a question or two, strictly for my benefit and edification:

1) When we speak of Jesus, what really are we speaking about? A person? I.e. a bona fide messiah who entered time and space? Many Christians, and I have carried a few in my day, speak of a personal relationship with a "living spirit" that is, according to them, a person. It seems there is some confusion, insofar as, one the one hand, the personhood or the personality of Jesus is stressed but, at other times, it is as if they are speaking of a principal, or sometimes 'Jesus' is more a technique: like in yoga, something you do. From what you write, I gather that "Christ's Spirit" is a real thing, the literal Spirit of the Christ who came to the Earth, who walked on it.

2) As to the "Born Again" part, it is certainly a loaded term, if only because so many rather unsavory persons speak of being born-again but one is left with certain suspicions as to what level of process or experience they really did or have had. I will also say that, with certain techniques of yoga one could have experiences that are similar or analogous to this born-again experience of which you speak. In that, if I am not mistaken (more than likely, however), one could on the basis of one's own will come to a place of being born-again. But, Christians seem to stress that the whole experience depends on Grace. It is as if they say You cannot do this on your own. It is something that is given to you but not something you can claim. Again, so much seems to depend on this mysterious person known as Jesus.

3) Is Jesus a real and distinct being? A literal person? Does Jesus really exist? Like in some other world, on some other plane of consciousness, being or experience? If yes, can we know anything about that other level of consciousness?

4) Are we, in fact, eternal souls? Is there, in fact, another plane of consciousness to which we will translate? Most Christians seem to think that the answer is yes. But, there are some who say that this reality in which we find ourselves, for want of a better description this "world of physical matter" in which I have my being, is all there is to it. And, when I die, all that I am composed of dissolves back into the physical platform from which it arose. It seems to me, therefor, that "heaven" then is nothing more than a state of awareness, and only a temporary one. If Heaven is only that, in a way it is something akin to "the way one feels". And by that I mean a state of awareness that "feels nice".

5) When Jesus said, so compellingly, that the "eternal Kingdom of Heaven is there and men do not see it", he really did seem to be speaking like a yogi. That this "Heaven" is a question of perception, which would seem to indicate a matter of "internal circuitry". Get the wires uncrossed, reconnect the wires in the right way, and you will then see things rightly. Et voila: Kingdom of Heaven.

6) Looked at in a certain way, from a certain angle, the Christian life or group of choices is something like the Manichean view that was mentioned here recently. It is a kind of perception that the world we are in, the world we are lost or submerged in, is literally a demonic plane of consciousness. Or, that entities and potencies of a demonic nature lord it over this place, let us say "the Earth". Almost everyone (the multitude) is captured by this demonic force or energy that does everything in its power to keep one "chained". But, there came along a liberator who offered a route of escape. Not metaphorically but really. To become a Christian is, then, to join a tribe (if you will) who have access to a "living spirit" (let's speak directly: to a living, personal being, a person) known as Jesus, to whom they can turn themselves over to. Indeed (so as not to mince words) it is required, mandatory, that one surrender oneself to this Jesus Christ, not as if to a "principal" but to a living person, a being that exists outside of time and space, or that encompasses time and space and yet dominates it.

It is a very peculiar stance, and one that necessarily involves radical choices almost at every juncture. To give oneself to Christ (this is the language they use) means that one comes under the care of a living, conscious entity that then guides one through this woesome world. The implacation is not to physical dissolution but to eternal existence. Yet, how can this be when we know that we will all only resolve back into the physical stuff upon our death?

7) What is lacking, at least I thought so, from what you wrote is a sense of connectedness to one's community. Does becoming a Christian lift one OUT of connectedness to the living (but "dead") protoplasm that is our human (demonic) platform? I have read the Gospels at least a few times and, as it pertains to Jesus, I am always impressed by his connectedness to people, not his separatedness. Its peculiar, therefor.

8) I am an ass with a very, very DIRTY mind, if the truth were to be told, so when I read the following:

"Do not be conformed to this world, but continually be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God's will is---what is proper, pleasing, and perfect."

....I don't quite know how to take it. I literally tried to mount the stable-girl the other day! I'm that bad! Do I renew my mind or does the "living spirit" renew my mind? It is a peculiar connundrum. Surely, there are 10,000 obstacles and snares that this "devilish" world presents to us, and a constant renewal is required. But how!? Yet, so many speak of the same or similar thing (Krishnamurti for example, who was a yogi, not a Christian). Again, I only note a dissonance between what one does on one's own (which, to my asinine mind always seems, nay! IS limited; which is to say: I doubt I can "save myself" in the most important and fundamental sense) and what is done to one. Almost all Christians I have known (well, to be truthful, those I have overheard, living in a stable as I do where so many come and go) emphasize, emphatically, that one cannot (in the Christian sense) "save oneself". To get out of this trap of this cruel, demonic realm, requires the surrender of oneself in the most fundamental sense.

How in the name of Pete does one do that?

So much depends on telling the truth, doesn't it? And to "tell the truth" one must KNOW THE TRUTH. But how can one really know the truth? Hardly anyone says, "Fact is, I don't know the truth I just pretend I do". It would be much easier if they did though.
fiat mihi
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Wonder if there's any relationship between macaws and asses. They sure sound alike.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Dan Rowden wrote:Wonder if there's any relationship between macaws and asses. They sure sound alike.
Can't fool you.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

I have wondered if there is a relationship between A and A and nearly popped my brain trying to figure it out thanks to you people. We can and should apply our reason in all this:

An ass is not a macaw. Nor is a macaw an ass. They cannot be confused and are therefor unalike. Ass (not equal to) Macaw. The long and the short of it---it will all become clear as we proceed---is that an ass is a unique creature who deals with problems in very distinct ways. A macaw is mercurial, variable, beakish, unsettled, over-colored, an eye-sore (a mind sore), irritating---in short, squawky. An ass is lumbering, unreasoning but at least willing, is good with kids, is methodical, stubborn when not on your team, but a tremendous asset when "yoked to your plow" (project) and when there is something in it for him, is also whimsical-philosophical, a little sentimental, even tearful at times, and a bad speller.

Very truly yours,

---Bacchus
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 10, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
fiat mihi
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Bob Michael wrote:
David Quinn wrote:It's not a matter of being "selective". It's a matter of seeing into the heart and soul of Jesus and then interpreting everything in the Gospels in that light.
Hi David,

I find it's a matter of actually walking in Christ's footsteps, and as a result having the Christ Spirit dwelling within us. Which of course will of itself naturally flow forth in our every word, thought, and deed. And one will thereby also definitely be a true light unto himself and others.

I would be interested to hear what you consider to be Jesus's shortcomings. I have my own views on that as well.

Also, when you speak of "walking in Christ's footsteps", are you talking about walking in the footsteps of all the great sages who have lived in history - including Lao Tzu, Buddha, Hakuin, Huang Po, etc - and not just those of Jesus?

In other words, are you speaking about the path of wisdom more generally, or are you simply referring to an exclusive, born-again Christian thing?

-
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

David Quinn wrote:I would be interested to hear what you consider to be Jesus's shortcomings. I have my own views on that as well.
He, like most of the 'wise' men, never conquered woman. Which was probably his biggest shortcoming. His calling his fellows such things as swine, ravenous wolves in sheep's clothing, a generation of vipers etc. was neither cool nor compassionate and understanding of the true nature of things. Along with his mention of eternal damnation in the hell fires. Plus some other misguided information he put forth. And 33 years of age was too young even back then to have attained to fullness of wisdom and Truth.

David Quinn wrote:Also, when you speak of "walking in Christ's footsteps", are you talking about walking in the footsteps of all the great sages who have lived in history - including Lao Tzu, Buddha, Hakuin, Huang Po, etc - and not just those of Jesus?.
Yes, let's say walking in the universal Christ Spirit. And so far as the others who were awakened to a great degree, I find some were better than others. Yet I too feel that virtually all of them were quite ineffective in the awakening of their fellows.

"The perfect man is pure Spirit." Lao Tzu

While I find this a great line and certainly my goal and ideally the goal of existence itself, I would ask if Lao himself was pure Spirit, pure or perfect Truth?
David Quinn wrote:In other words, are you speaking about the path of wisdom more generally, or are you simply referring to an exclusive, born-again Christian thing?.

While I look for the second coming of Christ, it will be again in the context of the universal Christ Spirit. And it will be totally outside of organized Christianity. Quite frankly and simply organized Christianity would everywhere reject Christ were he to return again. Especially the new and improved one that's soon on his way. One who is in full grip of the Truth. Along with a teaching that will reach men's hearts and effect real change in them. That is some of them. (i.e. Many are called - but few are chosen)

Bob M.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Talking Ass wrote:Almost all Christians I have known (well, to be truthful, those I have overheard, living in a stable as I do where so many come and go) emphasize, emphatically, that one cannot (in the Christian sense) "save oneself". To get out of this trap of this cruel, demonic realm, requires the surrender of oneself in the most fundamental sense.

How in the name of Pete does one do that?

So much depends on telling the truth, doesn't it? And to "tell the truth" one must KNOW THE TRUTH. But how can one really know the truth? Hardly anyone says, "Fact is, I don't know the truth I just pretend I do". It would be much easier if they did though.
Quite frankly I find that one must be built for salvation, awakening, enlightenment, etc. Which means he must have a finely-formed and sensitive brain and sensory system. Which kinds are few and far between, and especially in these last days.

Then he must come to a breakpoint, complete surrender as you say, (Luke 14: 26), or a place of being sick and tired of it all, which can only be accomplished by one who is highly sensitive. From which point or points (several [turning points] may and probably will be necessary) a totally new being may emerge.

I think here of Nietzsche's line that the greatest thing that can come to someone is that hour of GREAT self-contempt. Which I equate perfectly to Luke 14:26.

And yes one must indeed have the courage, the constitution for Truth. Or as Nietzsche put it, how much Truth can a spirit dare, how much Truth can a spirit bear?

Lastly I think also here too of his line that nobody now-a-days dies from fatal Truths as we have too many antidotes for them. Which is why the present human darkness universally is so terribly thick and infectious.

Sorry I can't address your post more thoroughly, as I post from a college library where I'm under a 30 minute gun, so to speak. Though I think I touched on the essentials.

Bob M.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Bob Michael wrote: He, like most of the 'wise' men, never conquered woman.
One of the few stories involving women has one anointing his feet and drying them with her hair. Perhaps you mean with conquering just responding to her desire to be conquered. But I'd think a wise man has some bigger challenges before him.
His calling his fellows such things as swine, ravenous wolves in sheep's clothing, a generation of vipers etc. was neither cool nor compassionate and understanding of the true nature of things.
Actually he describes things quite accurately as they appeared: there were many pompous "experts" and teachers at the time who were in fact operating from the same mindset as a wolf or viper. Not only that but the insults were immensely ironic and 'edgy' humor when knowing the context. In the cases of wolf or viper it had both to do with pretense and hypocrisy. A wolf pretending to be one of the sheep (sincere) but actually possessed by a whole different agenda, the primate drive to rule, to assert power, to have some hierarchy solidified, to plunder, destroy if nothing else, etc. A snake is usually hidden in the grass, our shoes, beds, married to the mud and dust where it does damage when stepped on or threatened. It's completely not what it appeared as before, with serious consequences for those who were too trusting here.

Actually Jesus touches upon a very universal experience here: the presence near to the fires of spirituality, philosophy and religion, of deceivers: people willfully misdirecting and confusing. People pretending to be something they are not, and putting endless energy in derailing and self-glorification. There's no defense against this in terms of debate apart from a rebuke in words as strong as possible for their own good and for those listening. They can never really be banned out completely although on a forum it does help at times to prune a little bit now and again and make an example of the remainder.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

I'm an ass and I have to point these things out?

1) So far, your references to "Jesus" are totally selective. Is't this obvious? Shouldn't this be set on the table right at the start? It is absolutely obvious that you make 'Jesus' into what you want or need him to be, which requires that you negate so much else of what he in fact 'was'. The question of this donkey-eared lowlife is Why in the name of Heaven do you even bother to mess with Jesus? He is completely unsuitable to your project. It would be best to forget about Jesus and focus only on those who really do put the emphasis on 'enlightenment'. You really don't need the historical or the mythological Jesus for that (though I suppose the Gnostic (Gospel of Thomas) Jesus, which is to say a radically other Jesus, is quite useful to you.

2) The core problem, one that is very, very hard to get around: No one definitively knows who Jesus was. It is pretty obvious that the Gospels themselves cannot be relied on, at least the "experts" generally concur in this. They say (I refer to the Jesus Seminar) that it is highly likely that about a 40th of what is attributed to Jesus are anecdotes or parables he (a historical person) was likely to have said. Something like 80% of what appears in the Gospels is likely NOT attributable to 'Yeshua'. They also state that this Jesus of anecdotes and parables did not seem to have the self-consciousness of a divine mission, did not describe himself as Messiah, none of that. When you take what is likely attrributable to Jesus and consider it, it does not at all sound like 'enlightenment teachings' a la the Buddhists, the Hindus or really anyone else. This points up the fact that you have remodelled Jesus for your own purposes. But the question is Why? What possible advantage do you get from it? Why even nother with such a problematical figure who arose in a tradition that, seemingly, none of you have any interest in?

3) Generally speaking, it is "people of faith" who define Jesus. They don't accept the Jesus Seminar necessarily but they do appreciate Biblical criticism and use it. But, they speak within and from a tradition of faith. No one who writes here, except Brokenhead and to a lesser extent Iolaus, has or is interested in having (or is even aware of, that is as a "real thing") a "personal relationship with God", and "faith" in that sense. By QRS definitiion there is no such thing as a personal God, it is an impossibility. What then would anyone have "faith" in? But almost all the "people of faith" who extrapolate Jesus from the Gospels, from the epistles of Paul and too from the Gnostic writings, even using the lens of Biblical criticism, always understand and portray the extreme personalism of Jesus: that means a Jesus concerned ONLY for persons and not with abstract principals. Only in fringe NewAge circles, or in Theosophy, do they convert Jesus into some sort of Universal Principal, and in this way, in fact, do away with Jesus.
Bob Michael wrote: Quite frankly I find that one must be built for salvation, awakening, enlightenment, etc. Which means he must have a finely-formed and sensitive brain and sensory system. Which kinds are few and far between, and especially in these last days.
If this were true, there would have been no need to have contact with the multitudes, to deal with unpolished people---illiterate people in fact---and to have so strongly defended the poor and the overpowered of the culture. You have, my dear sir, atrociously manipulated 'Jesus' to fit an arbitrary model. Why would a "teacher of enlightenement" have spent time with these losers? A Jesus of your fabrication would have stayed out of the limelight, would have retreated behind thick walls, and would CERTAINLY never have sent people out on public missions throughout Judea.

You have taken Jesus therefor, and you have converted him into a representative of your elite project, for those with "finely-formed and sensitive brain and sensory system. Which kinds are few and far between, and especially in these last days". But why? Why even refer to Jesus? It is far too problematic.

Here I would only suggest to you that "people of faith", with a level of intuition quite different from yours, do not define the Jesus you do. In fact, they would be rather appalled by it. The concept of a "vine" a "vinyard" and a "lord of the vinyard" (that implies a certain kind of "fruit" that is being cultivated) implies a very different focus, a very different way of appreciating and understanding Life.
Bob Michael wrote: I think here of Nietzsche's line that the greatest thing that can come to someone is that hour of GREAT self-contempt. Which I equate perfectly to Luke 14:26.

And yes one must indeed have the courage, the constitution for Truth. Or as Nietzsche put it, how much Truth can a spirit dare, how much Truth can a spirit bear?
I am a dumb-ass donkey, it is true, but I still don't see how anyone can reconcile the mission of Jesus in the context of Jewish messianism and Jewish humanism, with the acute conflicts of Nietzsche. Yes, there can be an 'acute contempt' for self in the sense of a St John opf the Cross, as a prelude to a deeper level of Christian work, but even with John of the Cross there was never a severing of onself from the "vinyard" of God's mission in this life.

And when Nietzsche spoke of this 'truth' he really spoke of all that operates against Jewish humanism, the notion of a divine universal, any of that. It seems utterly spurious and not at all well thought-out that you would mention Jesus and Nietzsche in the same paragraph.

Spuriously, therefor, you can abstract Jesus from his context and make him into a puppeteer for your enlightened superman project, but it does not seem at all genuine to me.

Lastely, Dilbert brings up an important point. If there were a real Jesus, a man who existed in time and space, who walked the earth and said the things he said and who initiated the movement in Consciousness that is Christianity, a good question to ask is: What would he have thought of your ideas? What if---this is only hypothetical---but what if he would have regarded YOU (et al) as "A wolf pretending to be one of the sheep (sincere) but actually possessed by a whole different agenda...."

---Bacchus, an ass who cares.
fiat mihi
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Bacchus wrote:Lastely, Dilbert brings up an important point. If there were a real Jesus, a man who existed in time and space, who walked the earth and said the things he said and who initiated the movement in Consciousness that is Christianity, a good question to ask is: What would he have thought of your ideas? What if---this is only hypothetical---but what if he would have regarded YOU (et al) as "A wolf pretending to be one of the sheep (sincere) but actually possessed by a whole different agenda, the primate drive to rule, to assert power, to have some hierarchy solidified, to plunder, destroy if nothing else, etc."
That reminds me of the question, what would you do if Jesus ever actually showed up? Answer: Look busy.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:One of the few stories involving women has one anointing his feet and drying them with her hair. Perhaps you mean with conquering just responding to her desire to be conquered. But I'd think a wise man has some bigger challenges before him.
Hi Diebert,

Perhaps I should have said help a woman conquer her falsely-conditioned self. Or let's say find a neurologically sound woman (helpmate) and provide her with the space (away from the wall-to-wall insanity and pressures of the world), understanding, love, guidance, patience, and encouragement to become perfectly true to her own authentic female self nature.

Granted we still have women 'anointing the feet', so to speak, of gurus, godmen, preachers, movie and rock stars, etc.; yet what does this really contribute to the sanity and spiritual well-being of our world?

What 'bigger challenges' would you say a wise man has?
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Actually he describes things quite accurately as they appeared: there were many pompous "experts" and teachers at the time who were in fact operating from the same mindset as a wolf or viper. Not only that but the insults were immensely ironic and 'edgy' humor when knowing the context. In the cases of wolf or viper it had both to do with pretense and hypocrisy. A wolf pretending to be one of the sheep (sincere) but actually possessed by a whole different agenda, the primate drive to rule, to assert power, to have some hierarchy solidified, to plunder, destroy if nothing else, etc. A snake is usually hidden in the grass, our shoes, beds, married to the mud and dust where it does damage when stepped on or threatened. It's completely not what it appeared as before, with serious consequences for those who were too trusting here.

Actually Jesus touches upon a very universal experience here: the presence near to the fires of spirituality, philosophy and religion, of deceivers: people willfully misdirecting and confusing. People pretending to be something they are not, and putting endless energy in derailing and self-glorification. There's no defense against this in terms of debate apart from a rebuke in words as strong as possible for their own good and for those listening. They can never really be banned out completely although on a forum it does help at times to prune a little bit now and again and make an example of the remainder.
Christ knew full well that the darkness hateth the light. Yet it seems rather clear here that he persisted in condemning the darkness rather than focusing primarily on bringing the light to others (we must too remember here his 'going-off' in the Temple). All of which wound up getting him an attitude adjustment by mob. Whereby on the cross he finally got, though too late (and perhaps not fully either), the message. That being the need for forgiveness (and understanding - they go hand-in-hand) of his fellows and the nature of the Creation or the evolutionary process. And the reason I say he may not have fully gotten the message is because God doesn't have to be told by anyone when, where, and why to forgive others, as He fully and perfectly knows His own business. And barring the existence of God, natural law also knows all too well how to play its cards.

While the things you and Christ say of many others is certainly true to a great degree, again one serves his fellows far better by being a living embodiment of the Truth and right action which would be to keep the focus on bringing in the Light, rather than cursing the darkness and its servants. And doing this by sharing with others one's own personal experiences of just how he attained to Christ or, let's say in order to be more open and universal here, Cosmic
Consciousness.

I think if a group, body of people, forum, etc. contains enough Truth and right action or conduct beginning at the top with its leadership it will prune itself automatically. Of course sometimes a Messenger of Truth or an Angel of Light gets pruned as I have often both joyfully and sadly experienced. Generally moving on to greener and hopefully more receptive pastures. I think here of the two powers that make the world go round. The power of self (which brings
conflict, misery, and destruction) and the far greater power. That being the power of Love. The latter being the one that will eventually bring peace and true brotherhood to mankind. Though paradoxically the power of self (in the form of a great nuclear conflagration - 'the abomination that maketh desolate') will also be necessary in the overall grand scheme of things in order to cleanse the planet of the many, many unfortunately irreparably neurologically mal-formed in order that the few who remain can finally attain to peace, sanity, and fullness of authentic human being and doing.

Bob M.
Diebert van Rhijn

Baalam wrote:What would he [Jesus] have thought of your ideas? What if---this is only hypothetical---but what if he would have regarded YOU (et al) as "A wolf pretending to be one of the sheep (sincere) but actually possessed by a whole different agenda...."
In that case a healthy crucifixion would be in order. It would change his tune for sure, once and for all!
Diebert van Rhijn

Bob Michael wrote: Christ knew full well that the darkness hateth the light. Yet it seems rather clear here that he persisted in condemning the darkness rather than focusing primarily on bringing the light to others (we must too remember here his 'going-off' in the Temple). All of which wound up getting him an attitude adjustment by mob.
They are actually the same action: bringing in light upsets the dark corners. It can divide, piss off, upset lots of attachments. To think that you can do one and avoid the other would mean a lack of understanding of this world. A wise man can grow silent therefore but even then a stick could still hit him thirty times. And it won't calm the mob either since it will get excited about something else instead. This is the way these things go.

By the way, I wouldn't be so quickly to interpret anything in the Gospel as literal event. It appears as way too over-dramatized for that. Better to get to the gist.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Dilbert van Rheem wrote: In that case a healthy crucifixion would be in order. It would change his tune for sure, once and for all!
In the Penal Colony by Kafka (I assume you of all people have likely read it), the Explorer is given a tour and an intricate explanation of the functioning of the strange torture machine which is simultaneously the means of capital punishment. It is all brilliantly modelled on On the Genealogy of Morals. In the upper part of the machine there is a mechanism that is programmable, and the penal colony authority programs it with different 'commands' (that are coded into scrolls of sorts but which are based in words). There is another part of the machine that is like a tattoo needle, and this literally inscribes the punishment into the flesh-consciousness of the wrong-doer. (Thou Shalt Obey Authority, etc). In the act of inscribing-punishing the victim goes into a kind of rapture, it is a 'spiritual experience', he 'agrees' with the sentance, he participates in it, he is 'cured', and once this 'agreement' is achieved, the punishment is successful, the victim dies and is thrown into a pit, and that's that.. .

True, in that story, the executioner switches places with the man to be executed, and is himself inscribed with a different message ("Be just"). But, in the case of our new friend (Hi new friend! Welcome to Genius Forum where we devising (I was going to say weaving but that doesn't fit) a Masculine Future for a Feminized World!), I just don't know what message to put into the programmable head of the instrument of torture.

"Be more subtle"

"Read between the lines"

"Read Dan Rowden's Collected Poetical Work"

"Harken to the invisible"

(Also, in Chinese Wisdom, they say there is a great deal of difference between naming evil and battling it directly, and simple "energetic progress in the good".

(But on what basis would an ass such as myself embolden himself to correct an Elder of this domain?)

Question: What message, Delbert, would you wish to inscribe into my flesh-consciousness? I am here learning something, to be sure, but I can't quite put it into words...

"Know your place"?

"Get back down there, Dumb-ass"?
fiat mihi
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Talking Ass wrote:I'm an ass and I have to point these things out?

It is absolutely obvious that you make 'Jesus' into what you want or need him to be, which requires that you negate so much else of what he in fact 'was'.
Is there a theist( both hominid and equine) on this planet who doesn't do that? Everyone claims to know the 'real' Jeebus.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Ataraxia wrote:Is there a theist (both hominid and equine) on this planet who doesn't do that? Everyone claims to know the 'real' Jeebus.
Brother Ataraxia, I offer my humble obeiscences before the flame of your intellect:

To describe the 'real Jesus' one might start by eliminating the Jesuses that definitely ain't. For example, Jesus was not:

---A Hare Krishna with tinkling bells selling incense in front of the Temple.
---A John Wayne type cowboy with a six-shooter riding like a madman through Pereira.
---A Gay Roman general leading a high-stepping legion wearing butt-chaps.
---A poultry farmer in a straw hat squinting against the sun.
---An overweight Jewish tourist in Tahiti with a bright print shirt.
---(Please feel free to fill in your own)

To define one's Jesus it would seem that one must begin within the context of the time-period and the historical location. True, it is not infallible this process but I suggest it will yeild some worthy results. For example, Jesus was a Jew who arose in a Jewish context. He was not a Buddhist visiting a mother-in-law in Samaria. He was not a Ramakrishnan monk with a narcotic smile genuflecting in front of a many-armed image of the Divine Mother Kali. He grew up in, was nourished by the traditions of his context. If he spoke, he spoke from that matrix. He would not have spouted 'wisdom' from some other, radically different tradition.

As far as I am aware (an ass always has a limited perspective to be sure), what on Genius Forum is referred to as 'enlightenment' has no precedent in the Jewish tradition. You cannot just will it to be. You cannot select a quote or some quotes and bend it to fit your purpose. This is dishonest. True, there were many different strains of philosophy, mysticism, theism, etc. that were operating in men's minds at that time, and though some of them have things in common with the enlightenment traditions of the Far East, no one of them can be made to fit exactly this mold. (It must be pointed out that the majority of persons lived in abject ignorance and pure superstition, all these poor and downtrodden with whom, it is said, Jesus preferred to dedicate his time. Only a very, very few had access to sufficient education to be aware of these other various strains of ideas, but who were dedicated to the Jewish traditions exclusively. This is important when one considers Jesus' audience and his disciples. Of the educated men he gathered about him, most of them were from what we would now call the Rabbinical tradition, the Pharisees.).

Stoicism, Epicureanism, Mithrasism, the Essene traditions, the goddess cult of Isis, Hellenic Platonism of early Aristotelian scientism---these are not religions or ethical traditions that are equatable with what we know now as the enlightenment traditions of the Far East.

It is ridiculous and tiresome that fellow geniuses of GF keep absconding Jesus and turning him into something he definitely was not.
fiat mihi
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Talking Ass wrote:So far, your references to "Jesus" are totally selective. Is't this obvious? Shouldn't this be set on the table right at the start? It is absolutely obvious that you make 'Jesus' into what you want or need him to be, which requires that you negate so much else of what he in fact 'was'.
I don't feel that I'm being selective at all in my references to Christ. No, not at all! Rather I'm simply telling it as I see it. And with no holds barred. For others to either like it or lump it, so to speak. And certainly not to be right, score points, prove anything, go one up, or win anyone over (to where I wouldn't know anyway).

Please note that I seldom use the term Jesus, as I much prefer the term Christ. It denotes power (firmness/resoluteness) to me, the power of Love, Truth, and Right-Action. Fullness of manhood one might too say. Though certainly a true man must and will of course have the capacity for gentleness too.

Seems to me that the multitude prefer the term Jesus out of their own weakness, fear, cowardice, doubt, and insecurity. Just like they like to try to pull God down from the heavens and mold Him in their own petty and self-centered likeness and image (ideas). Rather than being fearless and courageous enough to climb that terrible (but liberating) mountain of Truth and as a result develop and grow into Their actual images and likenesses. Though in the case of Christ going beyond him, which is necessary and as I feel I have done.

Once again one can only ever know and understand Christ, or any of the great men who've traveled before us, if he's had a shift or fallback in consciousness (a genuine spiritual rebirth, kundalini awakening, or dark night of the soul experience or experiences). And then has gone on to actually walk in their footsteps or be immersed in their state of consciousness. Meaning to factually experience in all its wonder and glory pure free-spiritedness or total selflessness. Or to be truly on the path of authentic self or God realization.

As you seem to allude to the coming of the final, let's say here, 'World Teacher', he will (unlike Christ - save perhaps for his sermons on the mount and the lake) avoid the multitudes and the limelight. He will by the magnitude of his Truth and rectitude of his conduct attract those relatively few finely-formed, sensitive, serious, earnest, passionate, honest, courageous, self-reliant, and creative souls and at the same time repel the many weak, dysfunctional, co-dependent and neurologically damaged. He will help guide them (the select few - those with ears to hear and hearts that can deeply feel) through their own vital and necessary awakening experiences. That rebirth of an innately sound intuitive mechanism that was caught up and largely deadened, though not fatally, by association with the thoroughly fragmented and corrupt collective 'world mind', so to speak. And of course then go on to assist them in the redevelopment and purification of that long unused or misused intuitive mechanism, or perhaps we might well call it that vital sixth sense.

Nietzsche, like Christ and others, and as I've said before won't be truly understood either, save again for those who are actually transformed and well along the path of self re-discovery. One may have lots of ideas about these men, but no deep and genuine understandings of them at all. At least none that will help in one's own spiritual edification and development.

Nietzsche knew full well and rightly that there was in his time no one alive who understood him. Interestingly Freud felt Nietzsche had a more deeply penetrating insight into himself than any man who ever lived or was likely to live. This puts a man in quite a lonely place. A postition that could very well drive one crazy or mad. Or in the case of Christ to perhaps opt for suicide by mob. Which were also real fears of mine several times along the path. Though presently I still hang in and have felt pretty well above and beyond these old temptations for quite some time now. And not because my mind has atrophied or dulled with age (as happens to most who haven't experienced the shift in consciousness), but rather because I'm totally knowing and fully accepting and understanding of what is (both inwardly and outwardly) and thereby no longer rattled by the ultimate or terrifying reality of things, or existence.

So I can certainly let Christ be dead or fully out of the picture. Quite frankly his simple message (which was intended to teach men [and women] how to have life more abundantly - more fully spiritedly) has been so twisted and warped by fallen (twisted and warped) men that today virtually all that's promoted in his name serves as the anti-christ, rendering it totally useless in the liberation of men.

Lastly, when I refer to a shift or a falling back of consciousness, I think of U. G. Krishnamurti's claim to have attained to the 'natural mind' state. Which I find to be a rather good and simple way to put it. Though I find him, as I do the other Krishnamurti (and insightful and centered as they both were) to have been quite ineffective in the awakening of their fellows. The former gave up trying and the latter admitted defeat or failure on his deathbed after quite a long career. I tend to feel the Indian mind or consciousness is somehow lacking in the necessary tenacity, depth, and fortitude that's necessary to see the big picture or come up with the right sort of 'teaching'. Yogananda nor Vivekananda didn't set America or the world on fire either with their enlightenment and all their spiritual knowledge and insights. The former leaving behind him, like J. K. did, another spiritually dead spiritual organization, while the latter took an early mahasamadhi, making him I think the better of the four, since he added far less monkey business to the scene than did the others.

And finally, as to what would your and others 'Jesus' might think of my ideas were he here. It would not matter in the least what he might think. What matters is that they're right and true in my own heart alone. Which I guess would also mean that it doesn't matter what God Himself, should He exist, might think of them either.

Amen Bro!

Bob M.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

A couple of things. One, when visiting a donkey, don't talk about ears. Ha ha, I thought that was clever. Two, if anyone has "ears to hear" it would certainly be me. Ha ha again. I thought that was sort of funny too.

They tend to say that there is a difference between the Jesus who grew up in Galilee, the Jesus of a terrestrial life, and the "Christ of experience". For example, Paul knew little and seemed to care little about the life of Jesus and for him his whole relationship with Jesus stemmed from his revelatory experience, which was dramatic. You certainly point up this fact, and so it would seem that you too are one who approaches and understands "Christ" (your chosen term) as a spiritual experience.

It seems to me that to understand this new movement in consciousness, and I think it really can be referred to in this way, and maybe this is why it caught on so, because it really did represent a whole new set of possibilities, an open road, new directions, unexplored territory, etc., one really must focus on the very early days of the Church, in the sense of the early meetings of believers. One can look at what they wrote, what they did, what they considered important, to get a sense of what this person of Jesus may have intended. I can't think of any other way to define Jesus Christ.

But, if one refers to "Christ" in the sense you seem to indicate, as a doorway to open spiritual experience, in any time-frame, in any locale, in any cultural context, and if one includes the term 'spirit' (as in Holy Spirit), one really is describing a person's whole range of possibilities in consciousness and perception, and there is really no limit to what that might be. Maybe the best term (a more modern term) would be to say, instead of Christ, "collective unconscious" in a Jungian sense?

You seem to poin at it quite obviously: that there is an ever-increasing tendency or need or desire for an expansion of the Christian experience. It seems this is particularly Gentile and has always been a part of the Gentile "project" if you'll permit me the term. In the early days, there were the Christian 'judaizers' who wanted to keep the Christian experience within more strict limits. They were pretty successfully resisted.

In the end, and distinct from its origin and impetus, the bold Christian movement was institutionalized and became a state project, and yet still had far-ranging effects.

Do you think there is one sort of basic Christian 'energy' that is always and forever a part of Christianity? Is this energy a part of a person, ie the person of Jesus Christ. Or, do you see it as an abstract force?

Is there a way to get back to the original energy or purpose of Christianity? (If indeed it had such a thing). How?
fiat mihi
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

brokenhead wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Wonder if there's any relationship between macaws and asses. They sure sound alike.
Can't fool you.
I'm an expert in the blindingly obvious. Besides, there's no way two people in this world could waffle like that.

[fixed typo]
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Talking Ass wrote:A couple of things. One, when visiting a donkey, don't talk about ears. Ha ha, I thought that was clever. Two, if anyone has "ears to hear" it would certainly be me. Ha ha again. I thought that was sort of funny too.
Yes, many have ears to hear, but the key here again is to have a mind/heart that can deeply feel. A finely-formed mind/brain and sensory system. Intuitive mechanism, if you will. Which is either developed or destroyed in us in the early and critical formative years of life, and I'll address further further along.

Paul was a fine man. He experienced a revolutionary awakening/enlightenment experience on the road to Damascus, which rendered him blind and without thirst or appetite for three days. Which unfortunately he, like Christ, never thoroughly investigated, understood, and prioritized, as was the case with nearly all the heretofore 'masters'. Though the species still had a lot to learn and a lot more suffering to undergo yet back then. He also got far too hung up on the resurrection business and never quite had Christ rightly pegged. He was however surely courageous (and foolish) enough to preach to the multitudes. Though sooner or later he got thrown out of every church or town he spoke in. Yet he never quite got the message. That being that a 'saint' or a genuine self-overcomer is never welcomed in another man's church, town, or organization. Rather he should focus on building his own Ark, so to speak. One wherein the power of Truth alone runs the show and it also keeps its mind/focus pretty much on its own business. Though back then there wasn't enough truth and wisdom yet available for such a successful enterprise or undertaking. So sooner or later, and usually sooner, 'the gates of hell' sucessfully prevailed against all such attempts. Nor was there yet the necessary means of cleansing the planet of the huge multitude of the neurologically malformed.

It's not really a matter of 'movement in consciousness', as you say, but rather a shift in consciousness or mind/brain function. A shift back to an innate finely-formed (or potentially naturally functioning) mind/brain. One that was not malformed and thereby irreparably caught up in a self-protective or self-centered thought mode. But rather one that's capable of keen self-watchfulness/scrutinization or self-critical awareness. One that too has the capacity for rigorous honesty. One that is aware of its lies, deceitfulness, deviousness, self-centeredness, self-delusion, and shortcomings. M. Scott Peck was on to something in this regard in his book 'People of the Lie'. Though he never fully figured it out. Ludwig Feuerbach along this line rightly sensed there were fundamentally two kinds of beings. Which he called the 'men' and the 'brutes'. The men having a finely-formed and sensitive mind/brain/conscience, while the brutes are lacking this attribute. The latter, which comprises the many, thereby being eternal egoic self-seekers and mischief makers. The former, the relatively 'few', being caught up in the universal fraud with the many mischief-makers who are in command of things everywhere, from the bottom to the top. Hence the need for those few sensitive ones here and there to come to clearly see the grand universal human fraud, and their own participation in it, and hopefully come to a breakpoint (Luke 14:26 - or Nietzsche's hour of great 'self'-contempt) whereby a radical shift or transformation along with a stepping out of it (the dog-eat-dog scene) may take place in them. Which could also be called a complete and total or radical change of mind and heart and conscience. Which is then the beginning of the mind/body purification process, which must take place in action and relationship, and not solitude. Though I find considerable solitude is vital in the early stages of this process. Since in certain respects one must and will become like a little child again for a time. All of which could rightly be called the true rebirth process.

Funny thing, just today (5/13/09) while walking downtown, I happened upon a Watchtower publication (April 1, 2009) laying on a bench. As though it was there just for me. I picked it up and it's title and main focus was 'Born Again: What does it mean?' I brought it home and examined it pretty thoroughly and found nothing really new in it, as I previously researched the subject. Though reading it caused me to again ponder on the matter. Christ really never said all that much on the subject, nor did he seem to truly understand it either. Though his line that unless a man is born again he cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven is definitely right on. The Kingdom of Heaven being right here - right now. And just as Nietzsche rightly said, it's a state of the heart - not something to come beyond the world or after death. And personally I know very well the experience of being in that Kingdom of Heaven. That new and wonderful manner of seeing, hearing, feeling, and experiencing things when the mind is still and the heart is pure ('like a little child'). Wherein the old world of fear, doubt, insecurity, anger, resentments, etc. falls away and a new world of Love, harmony, peace of mind, perfection, and right or conflict-free action comes into being. And this is the goal and the reward of a genuine rebirth. Actually I once pondered, since so little is actually revealed on the matter, and still do sometimes, whether John the Baptist seen a potentially pure soul in Christ and his baptism of him was a matter of him immersing him in the river Jordan to the point of nearly drowning him and then bringing him up again out of the water at the last minute. Making Christ's 'rebirth' more of a near death experience. Which would fit in with the generally held view that one must die fully to the known, the safe, the secure, in order to experience new being. I think here of Christ's line that whoever will save his life will lose it, but whoever shall lose his life for his sake (or the sake of the Kingdom) shall save it. Getting back to Nietzsche relative to Christianity and Christ, he once said that "the most serious Christians have always been well disposed towards me." But just as virtually no one understands Christ, or has the faith OF him, the same thing remains quite true of Nietzsche. Though certainly they both fully knew it. And as a result were both happy and eager to get to the other side or the recycle bin, if you will. Or at least away from the multitudes. Being highly sensitive and fully awake and aware amongst the wall-to-wall 'quick and the dead' isn't all that pleasant a thing, even with the Kingdom being close at hand.

The 'spiritual experience', as you say, ideally, upon genuine transformation, stops being an 'experience' and becomes a totally brand new way of living or being. Being fully directed and driven by the Holy Spirit, as you make mention of. One's greatest joy then is seeing others come to know joy. The geniune spiritual life is not a theory, an intellectual adventure, or a static accumulation of truth, knowledge, or wisdom; but rather a life that's filled with ACTION, action that's void of all inner conflict. Jung's idea, or obsession, of a 'collective unconscious' never really helped bring any appreciable light into the world, did it? Seems he too died feeling pretty much that his life's work was all in vain, as so many others have. Though I'm struck a bit by the title and some of the ideas of a book on him entitled 'The Aryan Christ' by Richard Noll.

That Christian 'energy' you mention (I have a book entitled "The Lost Radiance of the Christian Religion - 1924) is indeed simply the energy of the universal Holy Spirit that's made manifest if and when it finds a 'vacant' (self-void) vessel to operate through. And for certain it's not unique to Christianity. J. Krishnamurti, who's been my best mentor over the years, often spoke of that immense energy and intelligence that worked through his body for so many years. I personally understand what he's relating to here, as I experience it myself. Making it a real thing and not just some 'abstract force'.

The original purpose or mission of Christ was to show men how to live so that they could have life more abundantly. Then came Christianity along with all its organizational monkey-business. All attempts to organize the Truth sooner or later lead to corruption, control, and exploitation. Truth being a living thing, it can only be effectively disseminated by a living being who is a full living embodiment of it. The same thing being true regarding the awakening or enlightenment of others. And the awakening of others will be best done by the sharing of the personal experiences of one who has himself undergone a radical transformation or rebirth experience and has then gone on to grow in the likeness of his Creator (which is simply to attain to fullness of human being). Here again being where virtually all the 'masters' have failed.

To mention a few men that I've long and carefully studied: J. Krishnamurti, U. G. Krishnamurti, Osho, Eckhart Tolle, Franklin Jones, Bill Wilson, Nietzsche, and Gopi Krishna have all gone through radical transformative experiences that rendered them for a time quite dysfunctional (while often suffering various physical and emotional problems and difficulties much like Paul did) so far as normal daily living was concerned. My wife and I have also undergone similar experiences. And I think here of U. G. K.'s observation that when the shift from being primarily thought controlled and driven to becoming intuitively motivated and lead takes place in a person, the whole organism or 'metabolism' goes 'agog' for a time ("There was no will - I was practically insane"). Which lasted from a period of months to even years for all of them before they considered themselves sane, sound, and whole again. Yet there's no guarantee that such a shift in consciousness will render its beholder infallable or omniscient. Since an unending purification of the brain and senses must also take place. Without which one may retain the knowledge of the transformative experience, but will fall away from truly and continually living the experience. Or one might well say he'll be booted out of the Kingdom. Yet, none of the above, save for Gopi Krishna, placed any significance whatsoever on these experiences of radical change in their 'teachings'. And he got caught up largely in trying to scientificize or methodize the experience (in the kundalini tradition) with the wrong sort of people, causing him to be considerably ineffective in the awakening of others as were all of the rest of them. Of course many of them after their initial awakenings soon began to rest on their laurels and became self-satisfied and busy in the promoting of their discoveries and writing books etc., and as result thereby stopped looking inward in order to more and more perfectly understand themselves and continue to root out ALL remnants of the ego or the falsely-conditioned and thereby inauthentic self. Which is vital if right action and direction are to ever manifest. These men too, I find interestingly, all had exceptional childhoods in which they seemed to have had an exceptionally loving and caring parent or two, grandparent or two, or perhaps other family members similarly concerned about their well-being. Which I find is very vital for the development of the necessary finely-formed conscience and sensory system. And leads to the following findings and views of others that I'm fully in accord with. Though I don't believe the writers fully realize the depth, irreparability, and gravity of the situation.

"A human nurtured instead of shamed, and loved instead of driven by fear, develops a different kind of brain and therefore a different mind. He will not act against the well-being of another nor against his larger body, the living earth. (Joseph Chilton Pearce)

"An unloved child has a different kind of brain than a loved child. The damage is not simply psychological. It is neurological and therefore physical. Ultimately it is the lack of love that does us in before our time, (Arthur) Janov writes. He believes that early trauma causes a reduction of functioning brain synapses (connections)."

"The sensory deprivation of pleasure results in the failure of certain neural pathways to develop and develop properly. Sensory stimulation acts like a nutrient for brain growth and development. The richer the networks, the greater the interconnectivity and neural integhration of the brain.....A rich array of sensory stimul, of all the senses, maximizes development of the brain. If we do not get the sensory stimulation we equate with love, bonding, and intimacy during the formative period of brain development, we're going to be impared, if not crippled, in our ability to experience and express the 'language of love' later in life." (James Prescott).

"From the moment of birth, when the stone-age baby confronts the twentieth-century mother, the baby is subjected to these forces of violence, called love, as its mother and father have been, and their parents and their parents before them. These forces are mainly concerned with destroying most of its potentialities. This enterprise is on the whole successful." (R. D. Laing)

"The greatest terror a child can have is that he is not loved, and rejection is the hell he fears. I think everyone in the world to a large or small extent has felt rejection. And with this rejection comes anger, and with anger some kind of crime in revenge for the rejection, and with the crime guilt--and there is the story of mankind." (John Steinbeck)

"Most of us are no longer really human, we have been deprived of our humanity. We have been dehumanized by the processes of our conditioning, upbringing and socialization. We are no longer the organized authentic self which we were once capable of being...What we are born for is to live as if to live and love were one. Unless we learn that lesson 'the goose is cooked' as it were." (Ashley Montagu)

"The violence and wickedness of our time, when viewed collectively, are the work of loveless men and women: impotent men and women who lust after sadistic power to conceal their failure to be warm, decent, honest, loving, and compassionate human beings: repressed and frustrated men and women, lamed by unloving parents and seeking revenge by taking refuge in a system of thought or mode of life into which love and goodness cannot intrude: at best, people whose erotic impulses have been cut off from the rhythms of life, self-enclosed atoms of erotic exploit, incapable of assuming the manifold responsibilities of lovers and parents through all stages of life." (A. U.)

" It is not only in our nightmares that we have seen these empty faces and ridgid forms before: we have seen them on the street, in broad daylight, as faces in the crowd, strangers on the bus, anonymous figures in the background of the cityscape. They exist in fact, they are really out there; but in their lifelessness, their absence of affect and their vacancy of expression they assume the air of unreality, like manikins or marionettes. The illusion of their being the 'living dead' is not pure fantasy; they correspond in actuality to our deepest human intuition of their nature and their portent. Thus Stanford Lyman, referring to the proliferation in our midst of 'asocial formations of strangers, marginal men, disaffiliated persons, lonely crowds, and uprooted masses' who share an attenuation of the normal human capacity for FEELING, observes:

These people are not dead in the conventional sense, nor indeed are they very likely to kill themselves in acts of release from a dreadful ennui. However, they might form corps of living corpses, legions of zombies, who, because of their defection from living, prey upon those who have not yet fallen into the cavern of contemporary despair." (From 'The Dehumanization of Man' by Ashley Montagu and Floyd Matson)

Speaking of J. C. Pearce, his latest book I find has an interesting title which fits our discussion, 'The Death of Religion and the Rebirth of Spirit'.

Lastly, as it's long and often been said universally, God is Love, I find that it is Love (which to be love must contain truth or honesty) that must be born-again in us. That is in those among us in whom its seed has been firmly planted into in the early years by our parents or guardians. They being our first 'gods'. So while religions have long been dead, mankind continues to await the grand rebirth of the Spirit, Love, and Truth. We could also conclude here that rather than being called by the grace of God (or from 'above') to conversion, we are instead called to conversion by the indwelling seed or grace of Love. Human Love which is as rare as it may be 'divine'.

And finally, Bill Wilson (co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous) never doubted that his 'hot flash', as he referred to it, spiritual awakening experience gave him a glimpse of the Divine; but the further he was away from it, the more he learned towards a psychological explanation of the phenomenon. Which is essentially what I have done. Though he, like so many others have, got far too busy with his organization or fellowship, stopped observing and questioning, and as a result never really came to grasp the full picture in this regard. Though he felt, like myself, that any nation obsessed with the pursuit of power, greed, and prestige, and which dominated virtually everyone's behavior, was doomed to collapse, and that a total nuclear conflagration was a very real possibility.

"Love and do as you will, and there will be right action." (J. Krishnamurti)

"The greatest gift that can come to anybody is a spiritual awakening." (Bill W.)

"A genius is one whose nervous power or 'sensitiveness' is largely in excess." (Arthur Schopenhauer)

Bob M.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Talking Ass wrote:A couple of things. One, when visiting a donkey, don't talk about ears. Ha ha, I thought that was clever. Two, if anyone has "ears to hear" it would certainly be me. Ha ha again. I thought that was sort of funny too.
Yes, many have ears to hear, but the key here again is to have a mind/heart that can deeply feel. A finely-formed mind/brain and sensory system. Intuitive mechanism, if you will. Which is either developed or destroyed in us in the early and critical formative years of life, and I'll address further further along.

Paul was a fine man. He experienced a revolutionary awakening/enlightenment experience on the road to Damascus, which rendered him blind and without thirst or appetite for three days. Which unfortunately he, like Christ, never thoroughly investigated, understood, and prioritized, as was the case with nearly all the heretofore 'masters'. Though the species still had a lot to learn and a lot more suffering to undergo yet back then. He also got far too hung up on the resurrection business and never quite had Christ rightly pegged. He was however surely courageous (and foolish) enough to preach to the multitudes. Though sooner or later he got thrown out of every church or town he spoke in. Yet he never quite got the message. That being that a 'saint' or a genuine self-overcomer is never welcomed in another man's church, town, or organization. Rather he should focus on building his own Ark, so to speak. One wherein the power of Truth alone runs the show and it also keeps its mind/focus pretty much on its own business. Though back then there wasn't enough truth and wisdom yet available for such a successful enterprise or undertaking. So sooner or later, and usually sooner, 'the gates of hell' sucessfully prevailed against all such attempts. Nor was there yet the necessary means of cleansing the planet of the huge multitude of the neurologically malformed.

It's not really a matter of 'movement in consciousness', as you say, but rather a shift in consciousness or mind/brain function. A shift back to an innate finely-formed (or potentially naturally functioning) mind/brain. One that was not malformed and thereby irreparably caught up in a self-protective or self-centered thought mode. But rather one that's capable of keen self-watchfulness/scrutinization or self-critical awareness. One that too has the capacity for rigorous honesty. One that is aware of its lies, deceitfulness, deviousness, self-centeredness, self-delusion, and shortcomings. M. Scott Peck was on to something in this regard in his book 'People of the Lie'. Though he never fully figured it out. Ludwig Feuerbach along this line rightly sensed there were fundamentally two kinds of beings. Which he called the 'men' and the 'brutes'. The men having a finely-formed and sensitive mind/brain/conscience, while the brutes are lacking this attribute. The latter, which comprises the many, thereby being eternal egoic self-seekers and mischief makers. The former, the relatively 'few', being caught up in the universal fraud with the many mischief-makers who are in command of things everywhere, from the bottom to the top. Hence the need for those few sensitive ones here and there to come to clearly see the grand universal human fraud, and their own participation in it, and hopefully come to a breakpoint (Luke 14:26 - or Nietzsche's hour of great 'self'-contempt) whereby a radical shift or transformation along with a stepping out of it (the dog-eat-dog scene) may take place in them. Which could also be called a complete and total or radical change of mind and heart and conscience. Which is then the beginning of the mind/body purification process, which must take place in action and relationship, and not solitude. Though I find considerable solitude is vital in the early stages of this process. Since in certain respects one must and will become like a little child again for a time. All of which could rightly be called the true rebirth process.

Funny thing, just today (5/13/09) while walking downtown, I happened upon a Watchtower publication (April 1, 2009) laying on a bench. As though it was there just for me. I picked it up and it's title and main focus was 'Born Again: What does it mean?' I brought it home and examined it pretty thoroughly and found nothing really new in it, as I previously researched the subject. Though reading it caused me to again ponder on the matter. Christ really never said all that much on the subject, nor did he seem to truly understand it either. Though his line that unless a man is born again he cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven is definitely right on. The Kingdom of Heaven being right here - right now. And just as Nietzsche rightly said, it's a state of the heart - not something to come beyond the world or after death. And personally I know very well the experience of being in that Kingdom of Heaven. That new and wonderful manner of seeing, hearing, feeling, and experiencing things when the mind is still and the heart is pure ('like a little child'). Wherein the old world of fear, doubt, insecurity, anger, resentments, etc. falls away and a new world of Love, harmony, peace of mind, perfection, and right or conflict-free action comes into being. And this is the goal and the reward of a genuine rebirth. Actually I once pondered, since so little is actually revealed on the matter, and still do sometimes, whether John the Baptist seen a potentially pure soul in Christ and his baptism of him was a matter of him immersing him in the river Jordan to the point of nearly drowning him and then bringing him up again out of the water at the last minute. Making Christ's 'rebirth' more of a near death experience. Which would fit in with the generally held view that one must die fully to the known, the safe, the secure, in order to experience new being. I think here of Christ's line that whoever will save his life will lose it, but whoever shall lose his life for his sake (or the sake of the Kingdom) shall save it. Getting back to Nietzsche relative to Christianity and Christ, he once said that "the most serious Christians have always been well disposed towards me." But just as virtually no one understands Christ, or has the faith OF him, the same thing remains quite true of Nietzsche. Though certainly they both fully knew it. And as a result were both happy and eager to get to the other side or the recycle bin, if you will. Or at least away from the multitudes. Being highly sensitive and fully awake and aware amongst the wall-to-wall 'quick and the dead' isn't all that pleasant a thing, even with the Kingdom being close at hand.

The 'spiritual experience', as you say, ideally, upon genuine transformation, stops being an 'experience' and becomes a totally brand new way of living or being. Being fully directed and driven by the Holy Spirit, as you make mention of. One's greatest joy then is seeing others come to know joy. The genuine spiritual life is not a theory, an intellectual adventure, or a static accumulation of truth, knowledge, or wisdom; but rather a life that's filled with ACTION, action that's void of all inner conflict. Jung's idea, or obsession, of a 'collective unconscious' never really helped bring any appreciable light into the world, did it? Seems he too died feeling pretty much that his life's work was all in vain, as so many others have. Though I'm struck a bit by the title and some of the ideas of a book on him entitled 'The Aryan Christ' by Richard Noll.

That Christian 'energy' you mention (I have a book entitled "The Lost Radiance of the Christian Religion - 1924) is indeed simply the energy of the universal Holy Spirit that's made manifest if and when it finds a 'vacant' (self-void) vessel to operate through. And for certain it's not unique to Christianity. J. Krishnamurti, who's been my best mentor over the years, often spoke of that immense energy and intelligence that worked through his body for so many years. I personally understand what he's relating to here, as I experience it myself. Making it a real thing and not just some 'abstract force'.

The original purpose or mission of Christ was to show men how to live so that they could have life more abundantly. Then came Christianity along with all its organizational monkey-business. All attempts to organize the Truth sooner or later lead to corruption, control, and exploitation. Truth being a living thing, it can only be effectively disseminated by a living being who is a full living embodiment of it. The same thing being true regarding the awakening or enlightenment of others. And the awakening of others will be best done by the sharing of the personal experiences of one who has himself undergone a radical transformation or rebirth experience and has then gone on to grow in the likeness of his Creator (which is simply to attain to fullness of human being). Here again being where virtually all the 'masters' have failed.

To mention a few men that I've long and carefully studied: J. Krishnamurti, U. G. Krishnamurti, Osho, Eckhart Tolle, Franklin Jones, Bill Wilson, Nietzsche, and Gopi Krishna have all gone through radical transformative experiences that rendered them for a time quite dysfunctional (while often suffering various physical and emotional problems and difficulties much like Paul did) so far as normal daily living was concerned. My wife and I have also undergone similar experiences. And I think here of U. G. K.'s observation that when the shift from being primarily thought controlled and driven to becoming intuitively motivated and lead takes place in a person, the whole organism or 'metabolism' goes 'agog' for a time ("There was no will - I was practically insane"). Which lasted from a period of months to even years for all of them before they considered themselves sane, sound, and whole again. Yet there's no guarantee that such a shift in consciousness will render its beholder infallable or omniscient. Since an unending purification of the brain and senses must also take place. Without which one may retain the knowledge of the transformative experience, but will fall away from truly and continually living the experience. Or one might well say he'll be booted out of the Kingdom. Yet, none of the above, save for Gopi Krishna, placed any significance whatsoever on these experiences of radical change in their 'teachings'. And he got caught up largely in trying to scientificize or methodize the experience (in the kundalini tradition) with the wrong sort of people, causing him to be considerably ineffective in the awakening of others as were all of the rest of them. Of course many of them after their initial awakenings soon began to rest on their laurels and became self-satisfied and busy in the promoting of their discoveries and writing books etc., and as result thereby stopped looking inward in order to more and more perfectly understand themselves and continue to root out ALL remnants of the ego or the falsely-conditioned and thereby inauthentic self. Which is vital if right action and direction are to ever manifest. These men too, I find interestingly, all had exceptional childhoods in which they seemed to have had an exceptionally loving and caring parent or two, grandparent or two, or perhaps other family members similarly concerned about their well-being. Which I find is very vital for the development of the necessary finely-formed conscience and sensory system. And leads to the following findings and views of others that I'm fully in accord with. Though I don't believe the writers fully realize the depth, irreparability, and gravity of the situation.

"A human nurtured instead of shamed, and loved instead of driven by fear, develops a different kind of brain and therefore a different mind. He will not act against the well-being of another nor against his larger body, the living earth. (Joseph Chilton Pearce)

"An unloved child has a different kind of brain than a loved child. The damage is not simply psychological. It is neurological and therefore physical. Ultimately it is the lack of love that does us in before our time, (Arthur) Janov writes. He believes that early trauma causes a reduction of functioning brain synapses (connections)."

"The sensory deprivation of pleasure results in the failure of certain neural pathways to develop and develop properly. Sensory stimulation acts like a nutrient for brain growth and development. The richer the networks, the greater the interconnectivity and neural integration of the brain.....A rich array of sensory stimul, of all the senses, maximizes development of the brain. If we do not get the sensory stimulation we equate with love, bonding, and intimacy during the formative period of brain development, we're going to be impared, if not crippled, in our ability to experience and express the 'language of love' later in life." (James Prescott).

"From the moment of birth, when the stone-age baby confronts the twentieth-century mother, the baby is subjected to these forces of violence, called love, as its mother and father have been, and their parents and their parents before them. These forces are mainly concerned with destroying most of its potentialities. This enterprise is on the whole successful." (R. D. Laing)

"The greatest terror a child can have is that he is not loved, and rejection is the hell he fears. I think everyone in the world to a large or small extent has felt rejection. And with this rejection comes anger, and with anger some kind of crime in revenge for the rejection, and with the crime guilt--and there is the story of mankind." (John Steinbeck)

"Most of us are no longer really human, we have been deprived of our humanity. We have been dehumanized by the processes of our conditioning, upbringing and socialization. We are no longer the organized authentic self which we were once capable of being...What we are born for is to live as if to live and love were one. Unless we learn that lesson 'the goose is cooked' as it were." (Ashley Montagu)

"The violence and wickedness of our time, when viewed collectively, are the work of loveless men and women: impotent men and women who lust after sadistic power to conceal their failure to be warm, decent, honest, loving, and compassionate human beings: repressed and frustrated men and women, lamed by unloving parents and seeking revenge by taking refuge in a system of thought or mode of life into which love and goodness cannot intrude: at best, people whose erotic impulses have been cut off from the rhythms of life, self-enclosed atoms of erotic exploit, incapable of assuming the manifold responsibilities of lovers and parents through all stages of life." (A. U.)

" It is not only in our nightmares that we have seen these empty faces and ridgid forms before: we have seen them on the street, in broad daylight, as faces in the crowd, strangers on the bus, anonymous figures in the background of the cityscape. They exist in fact, they are really out there; but in their lifelessness, their absence of affect and their vacancy of expression they assume the air of unreality, like manikins or marionettes. The illusion of their being the 'living dead' is not pure fantasy; they correspond in actuality to our deepest human intuition of their nature and their portent. Thus Stanford Lyman, referring to the proliferation in our midst of 'asocial formations of strangers, marginal men, disaffiliated persons, lonely crowds, and uprooted masses' who share an attenuation of the normal human capacity for FEELING, observes:

These people are not dead in the conventional sense, nor indeed are they very likely to kill themselves in acts of release from a dreadful ennui. However, they might form corps of living corpses, legions of zombies, who, because of their defection from living, prey upon those who have not yet fallen into the cavern of contemporary despair." (From 'The Dehumanization of Man' by Ashley Montagu and Floyd Matson)

Speaking of J. C. Pearce, his latest book I find has an interesting title which fits our discussion, 'The Death of Religion and the Rebirth of Spirit'.

Lastly, as it's long and often been said universally, God is Love, I find that it is Love (which to be love must contain truth or honesty) that must be born-again in us. That is in those among us in whom its seed has been firmly planted into in the early years by our parents or guardians. They being our first 'gods'. So while religions have long been dead, mankind continues to await the grand rebirth of the Spirit, Love, and Truth. We could also conclude here that rather than being called by the grace of God (or from 'above') to conversion, we are instead called to conversion by the indwelling seed or grace of Love. Human Love which is as rare as it may be 'divine'.

And finally, Bill Wilson (co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous) never doubted that his 'hot flash', as he referred to it, spiritual awakening experience gave him a glimpse of the Divine; but the further he was away from it, the more he learned towards a psychological explanation of the phenomenon. Which is essentially what I have done. Though he, like so many others have, got far too busy with his organization or fellowship, stopped observing and questioning, and as a result never really came to grasp the full picture in this regard. Though he felt, like myself, that any nation obsessed with the pursuit of power, greed, and prestige, and which dominated virtually everyone's behavior, was doomed to collapse, and that a total nuclear conflagration was a very real possibility.

"Love and do as you will, and there will be right action." (J. Krishnamurti)

"The greatest gift that can come to anybody is a spiritual awakening." (Bill W.)

"A genius is one whose nervous power or 'sensitiveness' is largely in excess." (Arthur Schopenhauer)

Bob M.
Last edited by Bob Michael on Tue May 19, 2009 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.