This... Philosophy - and other people, how do you deal?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Ignius

This... Philosophy - and other people, how do you deal?

Post by Ignius »

I'm having problems with the way people understand what I have to say. Often times, after I have a chat with someone (I'm talking about recently recalled real life scenarios here), something will happen that will seem unexpected and unexplainable. This could be during or after the chat. Here's one:

After I began to read "The Wisdom of the Infinite" and ask questions on here, I started to see this one probation officer (something minor) and we'd often times talk about life, etc... And I'd bring up questions that have been brought up on here, etc... Anyway, a few times before the discussion ended, the man would look at me right in the eye, definitely annoyed, and he'd say something in a harsh voice. To my surprise, what he said, had nothing to do with my actual question or with the discussion, or it may have been something which I thought was obvious and I couldn't understand why he'd bring it up, etc... We were talking about life's questions, but we also mixed in some personal facts, etc... Anyway, something I said really annoyed him and I have no idea why this would happen. If I were to guess, I'd say that mixing philosophical ideas with personal experiences was the problem and the thing that caused the man to get a little angry with me. If so (what else could it have been?), then how does that work? I'd like to know this for future reference.

Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Ignius

Re: This... Philosophy - and other people, how do you deal?

Post by Ignius »

The more innocent and truthful I get, the more people seem to dislike me. Is it me? Or is it the other persons' misinterpretation. For instance, if we're talking about one thing and I go into some other random topic because the previous one went stale, and that person tries to find some hidden meaning where there is none (connecting one to the other), and gets annoyed... Is that really my fault? I don't think so, especially if I was consciously talking about whatever it is that's in their head. Afterwards, they'll try to sustain both meanings and inevitably end up looking like a fool because the conversation went north while they went south.

Anyway, David, is this why a lot of people have a hard time learning about the truth? (due to all the misinterpretation, etc)
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Don't discuss philosophy with the non-philosophical.

Nothing good can come of it. Unthinking people hate and resent uninvited, intrusive bouts of consciousness. Sure, they might have some intellectually stimulating books on the coffee table at home, but they know that such books have already been deemed culturally sanitary (by virtue of being published) and pose little or no threat. In addition, they are in control because they purchase the books and can open or close them at will. When you confront such persons with philosophical thinking, on the other hand, you are placing them in grave danger of being exposed to culturally unsanitary ideas, and they can't make it stop at will. Alarms bells go off, defensive reactions are activated, and the priority becomes insulating cherished beliefs and illusions from the threat.
I live in a tub.
skipair

Post by skipair »

...Which is exactly why you should discuss philosophy with the non-philosophical.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

skipair wrote:For instance, if we're talking about one thing and I go into some other random topic because the previous one went stale, and that person tries to find some hidden meaning where there is none (connecting one to the other), and gets annoyed...
Maybe you come across like you're not paying attention. You change the subject on a whim, when you feel like it. I never had to meet with a probation officer, luckily, but I'd guess it is a crappy job and the least they would expect from their charges is that they pay attention. There's either more going on than you are telling, or else you are imagining things, like others' annoyance. Anyway, that's my take on what you've presented.
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Ignius wrote:The more innocent and truthful I get, the more people seem to dislike me.
It seems to me that you're getting less innocent, in that you're finding most people are pretty shallow as thinkers, even if they sometimes show a passing interesting in philosophical questions.
Unicorns up in your butt!
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

skipair wrote:...Which is exactly why you should discuss philosophy with the non-philosophical.
Ignius,

You planted a seed...now walk away and see if it grows.
MindExpansion123

Post by MindExpansion123 »

skipair wrote:Maybe you come across like you're not paying attention. You change the subject on a whim, when you feel like it. I never had to meet with a probation officer, luckily, but I'd guess it is a crappy job and the least they would expect from their charges is that they pay attention. There's either more going on than you are telling, or else you are imagining things, like others' annoyance. Anyway, that's my take on what you've presented.
Everyone pays attention in their own way. That's why I'm interested in why stuff like that happens (intro). Perhaps people connect the dots where the dots should not be connected?
Philosophaster wrote:It seems to me that you're getting less innocent, in that you're finding most people are pretty shallow as thinkers, even if they sometimes show a passing interesting in philosophical questions.
I don't think that others are shallow thinkers. How would I know? If I start a discussion with someone and they lose interest and don't pay attention, then that could mean many different things. For one, I may actually be the shallow thinker. How can I know this for sure? I can't, therefore, I simply know that I don't know what another is thinking... So, how can I judge another? I guess I can only judge myself, although that too, proves be be wrong all the time...
MindExpansion123

Gretchen wrote:You planted a seed...now walk away and see if it grows.
He quit shortly after that visit.

It wasn't me. Plus, why should I feed my ego...? Damn you.

Dan, this is why I don't like coming on here. People feed my ego until it eventually bursts. Now, what's the theory behind THAT? (+ add mental illness into that mix and it may become lethal)
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

MindEx wrote:
Everyone pays attention in their own way. That's why I'm interested in why stuff like that happens (intro). Perhaps people connect the dots where the dots should not be connected?
Exactly. Everyone does pay attention in their own way. So, when one says something that one believes is meaningful, but if the other blows it off or gets annoyed, the one has planted a seed that the other may or may not think about. It is not about the one…it is about what the one said and its implications. So, I'm saying walk away from it...when the respective paths cross again, the seed may have grown...that is - if the other thought about it... OR perhaps the one IS shallow...then the seed that was planted by the other has grown in the one.

MindEx wrote:
It wasn't me. Plus, why should I feed my ego...? Damn you
I simply know that I don't know what another is thinking... So, how can I judge another?
You just did.
MindExpansion123

How do you know?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

ME,
Dan, this is why I don't like coming on here.
Quite the contrary: you couldn't stay away if your life depended on it.
Animus

Post by Animus »

How do I deal?

I foam at the mouth, go into a rage, start calling people "hypocrits" and "liars" drudging up sayings from the New Testament "You clean the outside of the cup but the inside is full of filth!"

That kind of stuff.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Brokenhead was misquoted as skipair earlier.

Its unhealthy to compartmentalise philosophy in your life, you want to spread it throughout your being. And it's healthy to try to talk philosophically to others and see what happens, its helps valuable insights.

It comes down to being a management issue. It is appropriate in some circumstances, which include your personal circumstances, and its not wise in others.