Spiritual Battleground

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dan Rowden

Spiritual Battleground

Post by Dan Rowden »

Taking Laird's post which outlines his overall "spiritual" worldview from the "Jed" thread:
I am not enlightened. I've seen a lot though, I have some of the answers, and I also have some speculations. I hope that this post clarifies a few things for other seekers. At the very least, I hope that you find it interesting.
You say you have some of the answers. Presumably this means you have evidence that goes with them. Can you give an example of one of these answers?
One of the most important things to realise is that reality is not benign. It is a spiritual battleground. This is a difficult realisation to have, because there are forces that go to incredible lengths to prevent us from having it. One way to achieve it is through mind-altering drugs like marijuana and LSD, but this is a perilous dual-edged sword and I highly discourage their use.
I'm not sure what you expect people to do with this claim. You do realise that psycho-active drugs induce paranoiac and dualistic thinking that doesn't involve reality or even proper rational engagement, right?
It's essential to realise how high the stakes are. Maya is neither accidental nor random.
How are you defining "Maya"? You're not equivocating here, are you?
We are being deliberately deceived, and the consequences of failure are unimaginable.
If they are unimaginable, then there's no way to know if they're really all that bad. If we are being deliberately deceived, how can "failure" be an issue for us? Isn't it up to the good fairy godmother to win the battle for us?
We who inhabit forums such as this one, and who read authors such as Jed (I have not read more of him than the article on Buddhism that Dan posted a link to in a prior thread), we who are haunted by the questions "Who am I?" and "What is this all really about?", are the few who have an inkling that we are being fooled, and that full realisation is absolutely imperative. It's therefore important that we share our insights with one another.
Whilst I agree with the general sentiment of this paragraph, it seems to fly in the face of your implications elsewhere that most people are quite philosophically aware and even instinctively know the truth of an issue such as the nature of "existence".
Some of you probably read my assertion that reality is a spiritual battleground and thought to yourselves, "Oh boy, this guy's gone off the deep end." Right?
Not at all. The shallow end makes more sense to me :)
I understand that. Most people have difficulty realising that we are in the middle of a spiritual war.
I imagine that would be because there's no evidence for it. Anyway, I dispute your claim, because in one way or another, the majority of theists are caught up in this very paradigm.
Up until a few years ago I wouldn't have believed it myself. But then I started noticing things. The start of the process of realisation was recognising the depths of the meaning behind our words. We're all familiar with devices such as puns, where a sentence has a double meaning, or satire, where the ostensible meaning of a narrative is actually a symbolic commentary on another issue. It's possible, though, to enter certain states of awareness where one perceives the deeper, more symbolic meanings of every sentence that is uttered.
This sounds like code for: drug induced paranoia. Convince me otherwise.
In this state it's frightening to realise the depths of the multiple meanings of everything that we say, and their interrelatedness. This is one way in which the war is waged. We think that we're saying one thing, but we're completely oblivious to the actual, deeper meanings and spiritual effects of our words. Words are weapons and instruments. They wound or they heal; they free us or they manipulate us deeper into the illusion; they gift us with energy or they steal energy from us.
Only if you're an egotist taken in by the shallowness of mere words.
I believe that enlightenment is real, but I also believe that most people are confused as to what it actually is. They think that it's some sort of paradox involving the realisation that the self doesn't actually exist. If you think about it, it's pretty obvious that this is complete nonsense. Consciousness itself implies, entails, requires and necessitates a self.
It does not. Where is your logical evidence for this? How do you know that this "consciousness" isn't just a projection from a machine and that there's no "you" at all; that the thought of a "you" is merely part of that projection?
Anyone who thinks otherwise is not thinking clearly, much like the Christian who denies the fact that the problem of evil definitively proves that their conception of God is false.
If their concept of God involves omnibenevolence, yes, but not otherwise.
Enlightenment is not the (false) realisation that the self doesn't exist, it is (in part) the realisation of what the self actually is.
And the self actually is, what?
What I'm about to say can be interpreted in (at least) two ways: literally or as a metaphor. I favour a literal interpretation, but if it's easier for you, then please consider it metaphorical.
Since you're offering it as literal truth, why would anyone want to interpret it as metaphorical?
The archetypal image of a person with a devil whispering in one ear and an angel whispering in the other points to a serious truth.
Yes, that people are caught up in false dualities.
To the best of my understanding, the self is for the most part an instrument through which two opposing forces express themselves. The true extent of our will is far less than it seems. Primarily the task of our will is to choose which force we allow to express itself through us.
Um, a task established by whom and by what principle? And on what basis do we decide between them, given that they are equally real?
With this understanding in mind, what then is enlightenment? In a nutshell, to be enlightened is to have fully chosen God: to be completely aligned with the divine, to have "surrendered" to God's will.
What does surrendering to God's will entail/mean? Can I still have anchovies on my pizza?
A clue that this is the correct interpretation of the concept lies in the structure of the word, whose basis is "light": it is often said that God is light, and to be enlightened is to be fully filled with God's light.
If a pub offered me that argument as a shot of Scotch I'd have Liquor Licensing shut them down for watering down their drinks.
Now as I said, I'm not enlightened, so I don't know what this actually feels like. I have a few ideas about what it involves though. Before presenting those, though, I'd like to share an experience that might help to explain what I'm on about.

Early in this century, I was living in a share house in Sydney with some great guys. One of them in particular made a lot of effort to extend the hand of friendship to me, and I was deeply touched by his efforts. One day a room became available in the share house of a close friend from university, with whom I'd planned to share a house several years earlier, and I decided that I'd like to change houses. As I was saying goodbye to the flatmate who had extended the hand of friendship so graciously to me, I observed something very disturbing in myself. I was making to him what on the surface seemed to be the usual parting remarks, and I was intent on saying something positive, but I was at the same time privy through some working of my mind to the deeper meaning of my words, and I was horror-struck to find that I was actually insulting him with a cold rejection. The possibility that my decision to move house was in fact based on a decision to reject this warm soul occurred to me. Now I like to think of myself as a fundamentally caring and good person, but experiences like that convince me that the extent to which I control my own mind is actually very limited, and that there is a force working through me that is fundamentally opposed to my desire to be a loving person.
The force that is working through you is a complete and utter ignorance of human psychology. That's all it is. It's nothing mysterious or spiritually significant. You are just pig-ignorant about human psychology and are attempting to fill that void with the usual mystical claptrap. How about, instead, that you attempt a reasonable psychological analysis of that dynamic. I can offer one if you need it.
Of course a critic might argue: there's no need to posit external forces; it's all internal - we each have a subconscious with unplumbed depths that occasionally influences our behaviour in opposition to our conscious intent. And I can't definitively prove that this interpretation is wrong.
Then why not explore it more, since it's the most obvious explanation?
All that I can tell you is that I have experienced things (which I don't want to share here) that convince me that it is wrong.
I've always been reticent to make this observation when you declare this lack of willingness, but it's going to have to be said eventually: when you say this you look like a guy who has in his possession arguments that could change the world, or people's perceptions of it, believes this all to be of dire and complete importance, but is too cowardly to impart it because, presumably, he fears looking like a insane person. How enlightened is that?
I'm not saying that the subconscious is non-existent, what I am saying is that the subconscious is not the whole story. For those interested in exploring this idea, try playing with the question "What is (are) the source(s) of my thoughts, desires and motivations?"
An understanding of the essential workings of the ego will help with that question,. Beyond that, the question is unanswerable as there is no definitive "source".
To become enlightened, then, is to completely close the door to the malevolent directors, and to completely open the door to divinity.
Why don't you do that?
Those who are enlightened use words skillfully; they are aware of all of the deeper meanings of what they're saying and their words heal, energise and uplift on all levels, because in actuality it is not them speaking, but God.
What God? Where is it? Does it like anchovies?
Their actions, too, are based around helping other people in general, and leading them to enlightenment in particular.

I'll repeat that I am not enlightened, so there are a few things about this state that remain a mystery to me. For example: is it possible to be enlightened and to not even realise it? In other words, are there some people who express God's will completely, but who don't ever even think about God? And: is it possible to "fall from grace"; to reopen the wrong doors?
How can a person be enlightened and not know it? They know which voice they're obeying at all times, don't they?
The big mystery to me though is whether enlightenment involves realising the ultimate answers to the aforementioned questions: "Who am I?" and "What is this all really about?"
Nothing you've said about enlightenment seems to require such knowledge.
I loosely speculate that there are stages to enlightenment, and that perhaps the final stage occurs when one not only fully expresses God's will, but figuratively "returns" to God - in other words, one loses one's personal consciousness and merges with God-consciousness, literally becoming God, whereupon one necessarily knows the answer to these questions, except that one no longer exists as a separate entity: this is, of course, in a very real way, death, because the separate, personal self no longer exists. I suspect that this is why enlightenment is often said to be the death of the self: the consciousness-energy of the self still exists, but the self does not, because it joins the energy of God-consciousness, and no longer has a separate existence.
This does not gel with your previous attack on the "no-self" paradigm of enlightenment.
And what about the reverse? Are there those who do not choose God, but who definitively choose (or are overpowered by) His opposite?
How did God get an opposite? What is the ultimate reality beyond this dualism?
I believe that this is possible, and I suspect that it has occurred to a significant extent.
If the "devil" is winning, then God must suck. He needs to learn jew-jitsu or something. Maybe Victor can help.
These souls are not always easy to detect, because they are masters of the arts of deception and concealment. I suspect that one possible indicator of such a soul is a feeling of being drained around the person, a feeling that you are losing energy, and where the person exhibits an arrogant, smug, or victorious attitude, although I also believe that there can be other reasons for feeling drained around particular people - for example they might be drained themselves and needy for energy from other people, whilst not having fundamentally succumbed, and still struggling to realise themselves.
Or, it can be something as mundane as you're a damned egotist who always feels drained by people who don't bolster your ego. Ask yourself how it is that another person can "drain" you of anything.
So how does one achieve enlightenment? I am not entirely sure, but I suspect that the best path is to meditate in complete stillness with a sincere intention to know God.
Which is?
I suspect that maya is primarily a deliberate attempt to distract us from this path; an attempt to lead us away from God. "Buy these products to make yourself happy; set out on a career to satisfy your need for success; travel for pleasure" - in other words, "Focus on your individual, separate ego and forget about the path to God".

I suspect that there will be those amongst you who are thinking "This just isn't the way that the world works - notions of good, evil, God, the Devil, and spiritual warfare are naive, simplistic and delusional".
I sincerely hope there are such people.
And that's exactly what your enemy wants you to think.
Who and where is this enemy? I need to know so I can kick him in the nuts.
guest_of_logic

Re: Spiritual Battleground

Post by guest_of_logic »

Hmm, Dan, like I said, I'm not planning on responding to further explain or justify what I wrote, but thanks for your critique.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Dan,
An understanding of the essential workings of the ego will help with that question,. Beyond that, the question is unanswerable as there is no definitive "source".
Our desires and wants are caused by a lot of things: our genes, our womb development, the food we eat (or fail to eat), the books we read, etc. It is complex and many variables are involved.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

guest_of_logic wrote:Hmm, Dan, like I said, I'm not planning on responding to further explain or justify what I wrote, but thanks for your critique.
Neat strategy. Hereforth I'm not planning to respond either, to any comments made about any of my posts. There'll be no further explanation or justification forthcoming after I've said my piece. But thanks for wasting your time, folks.
Good Citizen Carl
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Well that's entirely up to you, Carl. Like I said, I'm still undecided as to whether I should have posted that publicly in the first place. But go ahead and critique it to your heart's content. I'm a sitting duck.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Shahrazad wrote:Dan,
Our desires and wants are caused by a lot of things: our genes, our womb development, the food we eat (or fail to eat), the books we read, etc. It is complex and many variables are involved.
Yes, that's all true, and indeed involves many variables of those very variables, which is why I say there's no definitive source.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

guest_of_logic wrote:Well that's entirely up to you, Carl. Like I said, I'm still undecided as to whether I should have posted that publicly in the first place. But go ahead and critique it to your heart's content. I'm a sitting duck.
I'm curious as to the source of this indecision. Isn't this information or perspective vitally important to people, given your worldview? What decision could there really be if you're so confident of its verity?
Blair

Post by Blair »

He's a gutless yellow-belly bag of turd?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I suppose that's one theory. Not a very generous one, mind, but.....
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Laird, I seriously think that you are passing up a great opportunity to expand your mind here. Dan didn't post all that to just have at you. Those were poignant questions. Having our thoughts and beliefs challenged can be painful at times, but those are growing pains.

What makes this place great, and makes up for anything I may disagree with, is that here is about damning the consequences to get to the truth. It is not about "healthy" boundaries protecting the ego. It is not about conformity or worrying about what is proper. Ideally it is about Truth, but short of that it is about truth. If you can not connect with the Ultimate Reality of Truth, that is forgivable as most people can not - but at least be willing to have your personal delusioins shattered.

Truth is not fragile. Only delusions dissolve when you look at them too closely. Right now your ego is sheltering all of your thoughts that you are particularly attached to, whether they are true or not. If something really is the truth, it will stand up to Dan or anyone else beating on it. Your ego may get bruised or shattered along the way, but that is only because the ego is identification with the false self.

The question put to you now is, do you want to know truth badly enough that you are willing to tolerate some pain to know it?
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Dan Rowden wrote:I'm curious as to the source of this indecision.
It's kind of hard to explain, and I don't want to do it publicly.
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Laird, I seriously think that you are passing up a great opportunity to expand your mind here.
And I think that you're seriously misjudging the extent to which I've already subjected my perspective to the criticisms of others. Dan didn't raise anything particularly new that I haven't already heard from certain friends and trusted acquaintances; indeed I've shared more with those people and their criticisms run even deeper. I already know from those interactions where this discussion will ultimately lead if I participate in it with complete openness and honesty; I already know the fundamental issue that will prevent a resolution acceptable to all parties, and I'm not willing to go through that process just to make it all public. Privacy still means something to me. Apparently I'm not alone, or no one would have warned me against making a reference to a private conversation in another thread.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

prince wrote:He's a gutless yellow-belly bag of turd?
People in glass houses...

Do you know how to complete that sentence, prince? If so, do you understand why it's not only appropriate, but supremely understated?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dan Rowden wrote:
I am not enlightened. I've seen a lot though, I have some of the answers, and I also have some speculations. I hope that this post clarifies a few things for other seekers. At the very least, I hope that you find it interesting.
You say you have some of the answers. Presumably this means you have evidence that goes with them. Can you give an example of one of these answers?
If I told you I'd have to kill you.
Dan Rowden wrote:
One of the most important things to realise is that reality is not benign. It is a spiritual battleground. This is a difficult realisation to have, because there are forces that go to incredible lengths to prevent us from having it. One way to achieve it is through mind-altering drugs like marijuana and LSD, but this is a perilous dual-edged sword and I highly discourage their use.
I'm not sure what you expect people to do with this claim. You do realise that psycho-active drugs induce paranoiac and dualistic thinking that doesn't involve reality or even proper rational engagement, right?
You just don't understand.
Dan Rowden wrote:
It's essential to realise how high the stakes are. Maya is neither accidental nor random.
How are you defining "Maya"? You're not equivocating here, are you?
Maya is the fog that surrounds is, created by forces that want only to keep us in ignorance.
Dan Rowden wrote:
We are being deliberately deceived, and the consequences of failure are unimaginable.
If they are unimaginable, then there's no way to know if they're really all that bad. If we are being deliberately deceived, how can "failure" be an issue for us? Isn't it up to the good fairy godmother to win the battle for us?
The only way the battle can be won is if we tell ourselves the consequences of failure are unimaginable.
Dan Rowden wrote:
We who inhabit forums such as this one, and who read authors such as Jed (I have not read more of him than the article on Buddhism that Dan posted a link to in a prior thread), we who are haunted by the questions "Who am I?" and "What is this all really about?", are the few who have an inkling that we are being fooled, and that full realisation is absolutely imperative. It's therefore important that we share our insights with one another.
Whilst I agree with the general sentiment of this paragraph, it seems to fly in the face of your implications elsewhere that most people are quite philosophically aware and even instinctively know the truth of an issue such as the nature of "existence".
Regardless, we need to share, that is the important part.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Some of you probably read my assertion that reality is a spiritual battleground and thought to yourselves, "Oh boy, this guy's gone off the deep end." Right?
Not at all. The shallow end makes more sense to me :)
The fog has a tight grip on you.
Dan Rowden wrote:
I understand that. Most people have difficulty realising that we are in the middle of a spiritual war.
I imagine that would be because there's no evidence for it. Anyway, I dispute your claim, because in one way or another, the majority of theists are caught up in this very paradigm.
There is no hope for you then.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Up until a few years ago I wouldn't have believed it myself. But then I started noticing things. The start of the process of realisation was recognising the depths of the meaning behind our words. We're all familiar with devices such as puns, where a sentence has a double meaning, or satire, where the ostensible meaning of a narrative is actually a symbolic commentary on another issue. It's possible, though, to enter certain states of awareness where one perceives the deeper, more symbolic meanings of every sentence that is uttered.
This sounds like code for: drug induced paranoia. Convince me otherwise.
I call it an awareness which can only be had if one is lucky enough to escape maya.
Dan Rowden wrote:
In this state it's frightening to realise the depths of the multiple meanings of everything that we say, and their interrelatedness. This is one way in which the war is waged. We think that we're saying one thing, but we're completely oblivious to the actual, deeper meanings and spiritual effects of our words. Words are weapons and instruments. They wound or they heal; they free us or they manipulate us deeper into the illusion; they gift us with energy or they steal energy from us.
Only if you're an egotist taken in by the shallowness of mere words.
Words are everything, if they do not make us feel good then they come from evil.
Dan Rowden wrote:
I believe that enlightenment is real, but I also believe that most people are confused as to what it actually is. They think that it's some sort of paradox involving the realisation that the self doesn't actually exist. If you think about it, it's pretty obvious that this is complete nonsense. Consciousness itself implies, entails, requires and necessitates a self.
It does not. Where is your logical evidence for this? How do you know that this "consciousness" isn't just a projection from a machine and that there's no "you" at all; that the thought of a "you" is merely part of that projection?
If all you are looking for is mere logic then I'm affraid there is nothing I can tell you, for what I know is far beyond the reaches of your logic.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Anyone who thinks otherwise is not thinking clearly, much like the Christian who denies the fact that the problem of evil definitively proves that their conception of God is false.
If their concept of God involves omnibenevolence, yes, but not otherwise.
But you must remember, we are in a spiritual war.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Enlightenment is not the (false) realisation that the self doesn't exist, it is (in part) the realisation of what the self actually is.
And the self actually is, what?
The self is what feels.
Dan Rowden wrote:
What I'm about to say can be interpreted in (at least) two ways: literally or as a metaphor. I favour a literal interpretation, but if it's easier for you, then please consider it metaphorical.
Since you're offering it as literal truth, why would anyone want to interpret it as metaphorical?
Because it might feel better, and therefore give them positive energy.
Dan Rowden wrote:
The archetypal image of a person with a devil whispering in one ear and an angel whispering in the other points to a serious truth.
Yes, that people are caught up in false dualities.
No, it is a literal expression of the spiritiual war being waged for our souls by the forces of good and evil.
Dan Rowden wrote:
To the best of my understanding, the self is for the most part an instrument through which two opposing forces express themselves. The true extent of our will is far less than it seems. Primarily the task of our will is to choose which force we allow to express itself through us.
Um, a task established by whom and by what principle? And on what basis do we decide between them, given that they are equally real?
The task is decided by unseen forces.
Dan Rowden wrote:
With this understanding in mind, what then is enlightenment? In a nutshell, to be enlightened is to have fully chosen God: to be completely aligned with the divine, to have "surrendered" to God's will.
What does surrendering to God's will entail/mean? Can I still have anchovies on my pizza?
It means to be filled with positive energy at all times.
Dan Rowden wrote:
A clue that this is the correct interpretation of the concept lies in the structure of the word, whose basis is "light": it is often said that God is light, and to be enlightened is to be fully filled with God's light.
If a pub offered me that argument as a shot of Scotch I'd have Liquor Licensing shut them down for watering down their drinks.
Maybe it can best be explained to you as how you feel when you are eating a pizza with anchovies on it.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Now as I said, I'm not enlightened, so I don't know what this actually feels like. I have a few ideas about what it involves though. Before presenting those, though, I'd like to share an experience that might help to explain what I'm on about.

Early in this century, I was living in a share house in Sydney with some great guys. One of them in particular made a lot of effort to extend the hand of friendship to me, and I was deeply touched by his efforts. One day a room became available in the share house of a close friend from university, with whom I'd planned to share a house several years earlier, and I decided that I'd like to change houses. As I was saying goodbye to the flatmate who had extended the hand of friendship so graciously to me, I observed something very disturbing in myself. I was making to him what on the surface seemed to be the usual parting remarks, and I was intent on saying something positive, but I was at the same time privy through some working of my mind to the deeper meaning of my words, and I was horror-struck to find that I was actually insulting him with a cold rejection. The possibility that my decision to move house was in fact based on a decision to reject this warm soul occurred to me. Now I like to think of myself as a fundamentally caring and good person, but experiences like that convince me that the extent to which I control my own mind is actually very limited, and that there is a force working through me that is fundamentally opposed to my desire to be a loving person.
The force that is working through you is a complete and utter ignorance of human psychology. That's all it is. It's nothing mysterious or spiritually significant. You are just pig-ignorant about human psychology and are attempting to fill that void with the usual mystical claptrap. How about, instead, that you attempt a reasonable psychological analysis of that dynamic. I can offer one if you need it.
I was filled with negative energy which can only be caused by the forces of evil!

If I'm not feeling positive, as we are all naturally born positive, it is the fault of evil forces.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Of course a critic might argue: there's no need to posit external forces; it's all internal - we each have a subconscious with unplumbed depths that occasionally influences our behaviour in opposition to our conscious intent. And I can't definitively prove that this interpretation is wrong.
Then why not explore it more, since it's the most obvious explanation?
It doesn't feel as positive.
Dan Rowden wrote:
All that I can tell you is that I have experienced things (which I don't want to share here) that convince me that it is wrong.
I've always been reticent to make this observation when you declare this lack of willingness, but it's going to have to be said eventually: when you say this you look like a guy who has in his possession arguments that could change the world, or people's perceptions of it, believes this all to be of dire and complete importance, but is too cowardly to impart it because, presumably, he fears looking like a insane person. How enlightened is that?
Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts...
Dan Rowden wrote:
I'm not saying that the subconscious is non-existent, what I am saying is that the subconscious is not the whole story. For those interested in exploring this idea, try playing with the question "What is (are) the source(s) of my thoughts, desires and motivations?"
Wrong, it is obviously the result of good and evil forces.
Dan Rowden wrote:
To become enlightened, then, is to completely close the door to the malevolent directors, and to completely open the door to divinity.
Why don't you do that?
The evil spirits wont let me.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Those who are enlightened use words skillfully; they are aware of all of the deeper meanings of what they're saying and their words heal, energise and uplift on all levels, because in actuality it is not them speaking, but God.
What God? Where is it? Does it like anchovies?
God is a woman's soothing voice that makes us feel warm and gentle, and maybe give us a stiffy.
Dan Rowden wrote:
Their actions, too, are based around helping other people in general, and leading them to enlightenment in particular.

I'll repeat that I am not enlightened, so there are a few things about this state that remain a mystery to me. For example: is it possible to be enlightened and to not even realise it? In other words, are there some people who express God's will completely, but who don't ever even think about God? And: is it possible to "fall from grace"; to reopen the wrong doors?
How can a person be enlightened and not know it? They know which voice they're obeying at all times, don't they?
If the forces of good are always with them, and in which case obeying never enters the question since we are completely at the mercy of these forces, one is enlightened.
Dan Rowden wrote:
The big mystery to me though is whether enlightenment involves realising the ultimate answers to the aforementioned questions: "Who am I?" and "What is this all really about?"
Nothing you've said about enlightenment seems to require such knowledge.
Who said anything about knowledge?
Dan Rowden wrote:
I loosely speculate that there are stages to enlightenment, and that perhaps the final stage occurs when one not only fully expresses God's will, but figuratively "returns" to God - in other words, one loses one's personal consciousness and merges with God-consciousness, literally becoming God, whereupon one necessarily knows the answer to these questions, except that one no longer exists as a separate entity: this is, of course, in a very real way, death, because the separate, personal self no longer exists. I suspect that this is why enlightenment is often said to be the death of the self: the consciousness-energy of the self still exists, but the self does not, because it joins the energy of God-consciousness, and no longer has a separate existence.
This does not gel with your previous attack on the "no-self" paradigm of enlightenment.
But it feels so good, doesn't it?
Dan Rowden wrote:
And what about the reverse? Are there those who do not choose God, but who definitively choose (or are overpowered by) His opposite?
How did God get an opposite? What is the ultimate reality beyond this dualism?
It's unimaganable.
Dan Rowden wrote:
I believe that this is possible, and I suspect that it has occurred to a significant extent.
If the "devil" is winning, then God must suck. He needs to learn jew-jitsu or something. Maybe Victor can help.
Stop it! You're making me feel all negative and stuff.
Dan Rowden wrote:
These souls are not always easy to detect, because they are masters of the arts of deception and concealment. I suspect that one possible indicator of such a soul is a feeling of being drained around the person, a feeling that you are losing energy, and where the person exhibits an arrogant, smug, or victorious attitude, although I also believe that there can be other reasons for feeling drained around particular people - for example they might be drained themselves and needy for energy from other people, whilst not having fundamentally succumbed, and still struggling to realise themselves.
Or, it can be something as mundane as you're a damned egotist who always feels drained by people who don't bolster your ego. Ask yourself how it is that another person can "drain" you of anything.
Through all their negativity, duh.
Dan Rowden wrote:
So how does one achieve enlightenment? I am not entirely sure, but I suspect that the best path is to meditate in complete stillness with a sincere intention to know God.
Which is?
When you are ready to sit in complete stillness and meditate God will be revealed.
Dan Rowden wrote:
I suspect that maya is primarily a deliberate attempt to distract us from this path; an attempt to lead us away from God. "Buy these products to make yourself happy; set out on a career to satisfy your need for success; travel for pleasure" - in other words, "Focus on your individual, separate ego and forget about the path to God".

I suspect that there will be those amongst you who are thinking "This just isn't the way that the world works - notions of good, evil, God, the Devil, and spiritual warfare are naive, simplistic and delusional".
I sincerely hope there are such people.
I'm begining to think you are one of those negative forces of evil.
Dan Rowden wrote:
And that's exactly what your enemy wants you to think.
Who and where is this enemy? I need to know so I can kick him in the nuts.
The enemy is everything that fills us with negative energy.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Mmm, I wonder what to give that. Let's see... nothing funny enough to raise so much as a half-smile, a couple of vaguely clever lines, but generally pretty puerile and mundane... what else? Oh, right, points for effective use of sarcasm, but not too many, because we all know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Total: 2/10. But don't worry, you're in the lead so far. Any other contenders?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Laird,
Mmm, I wonder what to give that. Let's see... nothing funny enough to raise so much as a half-smile, a couple of vaguely clever lines, but generally pretty puerile and mundane...
Half a smile? You must be completely deluded, and incapable of laughing at yourself. I rolled on my bed laughing at many of these lines, and I should remind you that an hour ago, I was deeply depressed. That post brought life back to my dead body. Thanks, Nick.

I particularly liked these lines:
Dan: Since you're offering it as literal truth, why would anyone want to interpret it as metaphorical?

Nick: Because it might feel better, and therefore give them positive energy.
Dan: If a pub offered me that argument as a shot of Scotch I'd have Liquor Licensing shut them down for watering down their drinks.

Nick: Maybe it can best be explained to you as how you feel when you are eating a pizza with anchovies on it.
Dan: If the "devil" is winning, then God must suck. He needs to learn jew-jitsu or something. Maybe Victor can help.

Nick: Stop it! You're making me feel all negative and stuff.
Dan: Why don't you do that?

Nick: The evil spirits wont let me.
Oh, and credit must be given to Dan, too. Some of his lines were great.

Laird said,
Oh, right, points for effective use of sarcasm, but not too many, because we all know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
So sarcasm is only funny when you use it, say to make fun of QRS philosophy, but when it is applied to your philosophy, it is "the lowest form of wit"? Ok, gotcha.

-
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Shahrazad wrote:You must be completely deluded, and incapable of laughing at yourself.
Quite the contrary. Dan frequently amuses me with his put-downs, directed at me. But Dan's actually funny. Leyla too has impressed and amused me with the way she's viciously sliced me apart with one-liners in the past. I seem to recall that Carl has been funny and clever when he's attacked me, but I can't bring to mind any specific instances. I was actually half expecting that he'd have a go at parodying my original post. That would have amused me.
Shahrazad wrote:I particularly liked these lines:
Too bad your standards are so low. To be fair, one of them was half-way decent.
Shahrazad wrote:Oh, and credit must be given to Dan, too. Some of his lines were great.
Yeah, the jew-jitsu one was pretty good.
Shahrazad wrote:So sarcasm is only funny when you use it, say to make fun of QRS philosophy, but when it is applied to your philosophy, it is "the lowest form of wit"? Ok, gotcha.
I acknowledged that it was effective, and I didn't say that it should never be used. I gave points for it.
Last edited by guest_of_logic on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Laird,
Too bad your standards are so low.
Too bad? Having a good sense of humor is a virtue in my view. But I guess you'd feel better if I was still depressed because my kid totaled my new car.
To be fair, one of them was half-way decent.
Only half? Which one?

The one about the anchovies was witty, and a good way to use Dan's previous remarks.
Yeah, the jew-jitsu one was pretty good.
To be fair, all of Dan's were funny.
I didn't deny that it was funny,
You did too!

Here's you denying that it was funny:
Let's see... nothing funny enough to raise so much as a half-smile, a couple of vaguely clever lines, but generally pretty puerile and mundane...
-
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Shahrazad wrote:But I guess you'd feel better if I was still depressed because my kid totaled my new car.
You know that I wouldn't.
Shahrazad wrote:
To be fair, one of them was half-way decent.
Only half? Which one?
You guessed it:
Shahrazad wrote:The one about the anchovies was witty, and a good way to use Dan's previous remarks.
Shahrazad wrote:
I didn't deny that it was funny,
You did too!
Yeah, I know - I edited my post to correct that. You must have picked it up before the edit. Recheck it.

To be fair again, I'd be very surprised to find out that being the butt of the jokes didn't reduce their humourous effect on me to some extent. But that will be the case for all contenders, so it will be a consistent bias, and in the end it will cancel out.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Laird,
You know that I wouldn't.
Then you would've at least said: "I'm glad your standards are so low."
You guessed it:
Well, at least we agree on something.
Yeah, I know - I edited my post to correct that. You must have picked it up before the edit. Recheck it.
You know that editing a post after being called on a lie does not fly with me. It's like pretending you never said something.

Remember when you did your QRS satire, and everybody but QRS thought it was funny? Something similar may be going on here.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Shahrazad wrote:You know that editing a post after being called on a lie does not fly with me.
Sher, I edited it before you posted, or at least as you were posting - check the times, they're identical.
Shahrazad wrote:Remember when you did your QRS satire, and everybody but QRS thought it was funny? Something similar may be going on here.
Actually, Dan found some humour in it. He preferred the first thread to the second one though.

Check my last post, too - I edited it to add something. You might find that I've partly acknowledged your point. And please don't accuse me of editing it after reading your post, because, again, I didn't.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Laird said to Nick,
But don't worry, you're in the lead so far. Any other contenders?
I think Carl should give it a shot. I expect that Carl's jokes will be technically better, but I doubt I will laugh as hard as I did with Nick's post.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Shahrazad wrote:I think Carl should give it a shot.
So do I.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

The degeneration is gathering pace. All this attention is just feeding his messiah-complex, which he interprets as a form of persecution.

One wonders if Dan started this thread to hasten the degeneration process. I don't really see the value of this thread, otherwise.

-
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Oh, but it has value. Guest of Logic, aka Laird, is very critical of QRS philosophy, so Dan wants to establish that as a philosopher, the former has nothing better to offer. Or are you of the opinion that that is not the best way to unclothe an enemy?

The other main point I think Dan is trying to prove is that Laird does not understand the QRS world view, and hence is not in a good position to criticize it.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

David Quinn wrote:I don't really see the value of this thread
And since I have no desire to "degenerate" further, I'll drop out of it.