Humor, it's forms & it's relationship to truth

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Loki

Humor, it's forms & it's relationship to truth

Post by Loki »

Kelly Jones has recently written a very interesting post. She seems to be categorizing the different forms of humor and the relationship these forms have with truth:
Kelly Jones wrote: Satire is telling a lie in a way that shows it's false (to perceptive persons). Its humour carries an astonishment that anyone could believe it to be true. It's often used by strongly individualistic types.

Parody is telling a lie by imitating believers of the lie, in a way that shows mockery of believers (to the perceptive person). Its humour is more theatrical and attention-seeking.

Sarcasm is telling a lie that implies believers of the lie are downright idiots. It is a more direct, personal criticism, and often a bit dark in tone.

Irony is knowingly telling a truth that is actually false, in a way that shows the deeper truth of the situation, which is somehow hidden, whether hard to reveal or believe. Its humour is a profound and gentle mirth.

Farce is demonstrating a lying culture, much like a parody would, but here the lies are well-known and fading in strength. Its humour is ribald, as if something great has been belittled into the dust.

Probably these subtler modes of truth-telling evolved from perceptive people dealing with surreptitious forms of lying.
I was just wondering if any of you wanted to criticize Kelly's analysis, or maybe you'd like to add more categories.

Personally, I'm going to think it over for a while, and maybe later I'll contribute something.
Ryan Rudolph

Re: Humor, it's forms & it's relationship to truth

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Comedy can be used as a powerful truth telling agent for people that need truth wrapped in a colorful wrapper.

George Carlin is a good example of a comedian that used truth in his comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrXvDXVhqfU

Louis Black is another who uses reason and pretending to be angry all the time as a truth telling mechanism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_BRZoXj ... re=related
divine focus

Post by divine focus »

Humor is the Truth having fun meaningfully.
eliasforum.org/digests.html
tek0

Post by tek0 »

I hesitate to say that every countries education can be as good or better than most.

So upon being one of those persons who were herded into something alien from a culture that otherwise had it about right.

I would like to to clog the internet with this statement of me saying that your lesson is well taken on such a forum and could serve many well.