the dark little box in the dark little room

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Re: the dark little box in the dark little room

Post by Kevin Solway »

Looks like the only open spaces left on earth are central Africa, central Australia, western China, Antarctica, and Northern Alaska. And most of these places are uninhabitable. It's surprising to see how built-up the Amazon basin is becoming.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Not all humans use lights at night.

I don't like the modern way of having shops always open, including weekends, and people not ordering their lives by sunlight. I can well understand the rituals of midday siesta, or weekend shut-down.

Bring back the ability to be bored! Bring back the experiences of disappointment, inconvenience, and exercising that atrophied muscle - patience.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Patience is a close cousin of resignation and mediocrity. Passion makes demands.
geniuine

Post by geniuine »

Kevin: PLEASE ban me (my IP).

Or Dan... :)
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Oh, dear - there's only one guy I know who posts for a while then asks to be banned.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Jason wrote:Patience is a close cousin of resignation and mediocrity. Passion makes demands.
What about making demands on desire to quit it?

Or hoaxing NEED?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Jason wrote:Patience is a close cousin of resignation and mediocrity. Passion makes demands.
What about making demands on desire to quit it?
If the quitting is primarily fueled by a flight from disappointment and inconvenience, then there's a good chance this "patience" is resignation with the subsequent slipping into mediocrity.

Old people are patient. They are content with the the small simple things in life, ie they are tired, lack passion and are full of sour grapes.
Or hoaxing NEED?
I don't know what that means.
Blair

Post by Blair »

geniuine wrote:Kevin: PLEASE ban me (my IP).

Why do you wish to be banned, if you don't mind me asking?

This forum is a very toxic place on the internet, it can do you a lot of damage. It can screw you up, it can rob your life even.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Dan Rowden wrote:Oh, dear - there's only one guy I know who posts for a while then asks to be banned.
Yeah, his posting style looked familiar, he roped in (conned) a couple people here. I thought about ripping him a new %*@#, but sat back and watched his comedy routine unravel ...

We hold these truths to be self- ... now lemme get this straight ... you put the lime in the coconut ... 'n mix 'em both up?

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

prince wrote:
geniuine wrote:Kevin: PLEASE ban me (my IP).

Why do you wish to be banned, if you don't mind me asking?

This forum is a very toxic place on the internet, it can do you a lot of damage. It can screw you up, it can rob your life even.
It might help you understand to know that this was the same poster who's been banned under more names than I can recount. Basically, his mind lures him back here, then he regrets it. He seems not to have the willpower to stop posting and requires that someone stop him. It's unfortunate, because he's not a bad kid. You know the type.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

I went through a stage like that.

It's a case of engaging the ego, and participating in the Genius Forum to feed the sense of self and power through knowledge, reputation, and so forth.

One then encounters some idea, is uncertain about it, and then there is fear. If one encounters more of the same, then one logs off the Genius Forum with a strong emotional impression of having run-away from a monstrous enemy.

So, offline, the thoughts will churn and repeat, in order to find some way to overcome this monster and the 'enemy people' inside it. It becomes a life-or-death battle - not over ideas using reason, but over imaginary enemies using worry-laden ideas of attack to make oneself feel safe and powerful again.

That toxic perspective does really, as prince says, do a lot of damage, screw you up, rob you of life.

Dignity is so easily misplaced, not put into reasoning and into one's love of Truth.

My way around it is sometimes using half-measures, like following a schedule, not using the forum to express my general thoughts but to write such notes down elsewhere, or participating for some reasons of my own. It's my aim to be able to use full-measures, but it's coming slowly.