Re-establishing fundamentals

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Trevor Salyzyn

Re-establishing fundamentals

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

What are the most important fundamentals of thought? How does one take the quickest, most direct, path from philosophic and spiritual ignorance to total, perfect enlightenment? What tools and what virtues are necessary for the task?
maestro

Re: Re-establishing fundamentals

Post by maestro »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:What are the most important fundamentals of thought?
The fundamental of thought is that it is a system. Thought is not in the individual, but is in the whole of a group or society at once. It is shared meaning. Thought is not merely verbal, but is part of the body and emotions and perception. Thought tries to represent perception (description) and actively modifies perception. Most thought is in the form of a reflex, that is activated when certain environmental conditions (for its arising) are created. Stress arises when the system is in conflict with itself, which generally happens when thought forms inaccurate descriptions of the world.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:How does one take the quickest, most direct, path from philosophic and spiritual ignorance to total, perfect enlightenment?
The quickest and most direct path is to be aware of the activity of the whole system of thought (that is verbal emotional and perceptual). To strive to see clearly how this system works. After gaining this knowledge to end the conflict in the system.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:What tools and what virtues are necessary for the task?
Patience perseverance and logic. Ability to handle stress and emotional strain. Desire for truth above all else.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Trevor,
What are the most important fundamentals of thought?
Honesty and impartiality are a good place to start.
How does one take the quickest, most direct, path from philosophic and spiritual ignorance to total, perfect enlightenment?
Reading this after your previous question, you seem to imply that thinking is what takes one to enlightenment. Right thinking may help set the stage but there is no kind of thinking in itself that constitutes enlightenment. Thinking is a tool, not an end.
What tools and what virtues are necessary for the task?
Well the first prerequisite is to have some stability of mind. The five precepts (no lying, no stealing, no harming, no sexual misconduct, no drugs) are offered as a means to achieve that. With stability of mind, awareness of thinking becomes a possibility. Without that, you simply become identified with the thought process and thus unable to transcend it. With awareness of thinking, the ego can become an object of inquiry, am I the body/mind or is there something else? Self-inquiry coupled with a willingness to surrender, i.e. take the ego down a notch from its lofty perch in everyday life, is the well-worn path to enlightenment.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

'the well-worn path to enlightenment.' - Sam

If there really was a well-worn path we could buy it in a book or perhaps instead in a set of CDs or DVDs with handsome covers and interesting art and we would all be enlightened at one low price payable in four easy installments. There being no well-worn path there can be no quickest way to travel it.

Sam is likely right however about 'preparation'. I think he is also right about this:
Sam wrote:
... you seem to imply that thinking is what takes one to enlightenment. Right thinking may help set the stage but there is no kind of thinking in itself that constitutes enlightenment. Thinking is a tool, not an end.

You can learn how thinking is viewed in Buddhism in many different sources including Madhyamaka which is the school developed from Nagarjuna.

Note: I do not have Sam's permission to agree with him and so do not let my agreement taint him here at GF.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

[Funny, you are talking about a thing that is completely undefined. I mean none of you have defined it. Or have I simply not yet seen the Wiki page that defines 'enlightenment'?]
Ni ange, ni bête
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It's obvious that enlightenment is not a "thought state" whilst necessarily excluding delusional thought states.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

'Enlightenment', Mr. Jacob, is something I try to avoid mentioning. And no sir, I do not believe in it. Beliefs are not necessary, I don't believe.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Dan Rowden wrote:It's obvious that enlightenment is not a "thought state" whilst necessarily excluding delusional thought states.
Whilst it is thinking about what is 'not a "thought state"', that's an intriguing idea.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Alex Jacob wrote:[Funny, you are talking about a thing that is completely undefined. I mean none of you have defined it. Or have I simply not yet seen the Wiki page that defines 'enlightenment'?]
I suggest you just aren't paying attention, busy as you are constructing and telling stories.
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:How does one take the quickest, most direct, path from philosophic and spiritual ignorance to total, perfect enlightenment?
That is simple. One only has to make becoming enlightened the most important thing in one's life and the path will then be revealed.
What tools and what virtues are necessary for the task?
Single-mindedness, perseverance, unwillingness to compromise, courage, &c.

Hope this helps.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

maestro,
The fundamental of thought is that it is a system. Thought is not in the individual, but is in the whole of a group or society at once....
...Stress arises when the system is in conflict with itself, which generally happens when thought forms inaccurate descriptions of the world.
Is the stress in the whole of a group at once?

samadhi,
Right thinking may help set the stage but there is no kind of thinking in itself that constitutes enlightenment. Thinking is a tool, not an end.
Is thinking a necessary tool?
Well the first prerequisite is to have some stability of mind.
...no wonder I have so much difficulty with enlightenment when I have an episode.

Greg,
That is simple. One only has to make becoming enlightened the most important thing in one's life and the path will then be revealed.
Before making enlightenment the most important thing in my life: what is enlightenment?
Single-mindedness, perseverance, unwillingness to compromise, courage, &c.

Hope this helps.
It does. Everyone seems to agree on those virtues.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote: Is the stress in the whole of a group at once?
Indeed conflict in the society, disturbance in the emotions, contradiction in the description.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Trevor,
sam: Right thinking may help set the stage but there is no kind of thinking in itself that constitutes enlightenment. Thinking is a tool, not an end.

Trevor: Is thinking a necessary tool?
Whether it's necessary or not depends on your path.
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Before making enlightenment the most important thing in my life: what is enlightenment?
That is for you to define, but I would say that it is Directly Understanding Reality.
Greg Shantz wrote:Single-mindedness, perseverance, unwillingness to compromise, courage, &c.

Hope this helps.
It does. Everyone seems to agree on those virtues.
With good reason!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:What are the most important fundamentals of thought?
Questioning.
Acceptance.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:What tools and what virtues are necessary for the task?
Observation.