Emotion, Attachment & Wisdom

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dan Rowden

Emotion, Attachment & Wisdom

Post by Dan Rowden »

I've decided to start a new thread with this material so as to try and attempt to address some disparate questions and concerns. This is a tapestry of interrelated issues so what I've written here is barely a beginning; nevertheless:
brokenhead wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:When I speak about "emotions" I am very specifically referring to non-rational responses to stimuli filtered through the self/ego framework.
Dan, are you saying that every emotion is a delusion?
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
I believe Laird would agree with me that a delusion by definition is a negative thing, one to be avoided, and transcended if it has been heretofore harbored.
Transcended yes, but the only way to do that is to be rid of the forces that generate it. We can see the way emotional states can be created, modified and even nullified by belief states - you think your wife is screwing the milkman so you feel anger, resentment, envy and whatever else, all generated by the belief set. Then you find out that the milkman is gay and all the emotions stop. I'm saying that the ego essentially is the belief that your wife is screwing the milkman.
Speaking for myself, I don't think every emotion is a delusion, nor is every delusion an instance of emotion.
Well, no, to suggest the latter would be a serious logical fallacy, obviously. But it doesn't mean much to say not all emotions are delusional unless you show how and why some might be and that not all emotions arise from the same source.
Once you make that distinction, you open the door to the possibility of beneficial emotions, which is one door that I think you have your foot firmly against.
And necessarily so, because I assert that the source of all emotions - as I've defined them - is false.
A delusion is simply a mistaken belief.
And/Or that which arises from mistaken beliefs.
It is a notion held despite evidence to the contrary.
Well, not explicitly. That's more heading in the direction of cognitive dissonance. I wouldn't place emotions in that category, really. They are manifestations of a natural, developmental mindstate that just happens to be grounded in illusion. It really only becomes "delusional" when you start to consciously believe in it. Ego is almost too basic to be called a "belief" and therefore a delusion. To be fair to people and more technically correct, people haven't necessarily gotten to the stage of genuine delusion regarding ego and its manifestations. They function too spontaneously in their egotistical mode to be considered delusional because no "belief" has yet arisen. They are certainly caught up in an illusion, but genuine delusion only really begins when some sense of "self" and "soul" that is believed in arises. You can decide for yourself who and how many are in which category (or if what I just said makes any sense to you at all).
An aggressively rational mind will root out delusions as a matter of course, since they grow like weeds in one's mind.
One would like to think so, but that will only happen if the goal is specifically to do so and that can only be if the goal is wisdom.
The QRS philosophy does not, as I understand it, claim it is possible to have a mind in which those weeds cannot grow.
Yes it does. Enlightenment is such a state. Some people have false ideas about what false ideas really are.
It requires vigilance at all time to keep the mistaken notions to a minimum.
This depends on what you intend by a "mistaken notion". For example, a wise person may hypothesise a scientific view that is wrong, but this is not a "mistaken notion" unless he holds it to be true. Not all mental errors are delusions.
I would agree with that. And since this thread is "Common ground," I should say that in so far as the QRS philosophy is rigorous, I tend to agree with it.
Well, I'm sorry if I'm sort of bursting that particular bubble on you. I limit my concept of "delusion" to believing things that are logically contradictory or incoherent. I don't believe any empirical viewpoint, for example, can be delusional; mistaken - yes, limited - yes, contingent - necessarily, but not delusional as such. However, what would, for example, make an empirical view delusional, would be if it were to be held to be something it cannot logically be, such as objectively real or absolute. Do you see the distinction I'm making here?
Where I diverge is with the definitions. I do not think emotions are either good or evil.
Neither do I, though I think extolling their virtues can be and mostly is. Though, evil is a strong word - there may be less loaded terms more suitable. But then, screw it, I haven't called something evil in a while so I'll go with it for the sake of emphasis.
I view them as either productive or counterproductive. For instance, most people allow themselves anger. To me, this is a false emotion. If anger is not 100% intentional, controlled, and goal-oriented, it is worthless at best and, more often, counterproductive.
See, judging the benefit of a thing is a slippery matter as it is entirely relative to values and purpose. Many people argue for example for the evolutionary benefit of emotions, but I find that line of thinking problematic for the following reasons. I'm hoping, btw, that what I'll say here will cover the concerns and desire for explication from a few different people on the issue of emotion:

Emotions: the evoutionary benefit argument.

The problem of non-replication and hypothesis dichotomy - one of the dilemmas of hypothesising "benefit" in evolutionary terms is that you can't replicate evolutionary history in a lab. The argument for the evolutionary benefit of emotions amounts to little more than scenario building, hypothesis and a sort of "if they didn't help we wouldn't be here" kind of platitude. The problem with building hypothetical scenarios in which we might proffer a cogent (and potentially even correct) argument is that this doesn't show that it's true or that things happened that way. One could easily built a cogent argument that says we are here despite having to deal with emotions and that we'd be far more evolutionarily advanced without them. Interestingly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many people who'd happily argue that emotions will be the key to human survival and longevity, as opposed to the probable key to our demise. The argument for evolutionary benefit also doesn't take into account time frames. What was beneficial and helpful at one stage in our development needn't continue to be so, and may well become something altogether different. Perhaps the rise and development of consciousness itself is making emotions redundant.

The argument from necessity.

Most people I've met think emotions are necessary for humans to function. The arguments on this score are many and varied, running the gamut from the scientifically sophisticated to the purely sentimental. I don't find any of them remotely convincing. What I would concede is that an absence of emotion would render a person dysfunctional if not accompanied (and indeed caused by) by a heightening of consciousness and reason. For an absence of emotions to occur it really necessitates either that very heightening of consciousness or some form of mental disease and dysfunction. I don't think there's a third option there. Let's look at a specific emotion in the sense of this line of argument: fear. The functional benefit of fear seems patently obvious, right? If you didn't experience fear you'd get eaten by nasty critters and so forth. But this is a half-baked argument to me. If it wasn't for the drives that cause us to overcome fear, we would surely not have endured and developed. In specific evolutionary circumstances, fear could be as powerful an extinction instinct as a survival one. Fear is not predictive, it is purely reactive. This non-predictive dimension of fear makes it an automatically risky response as we cannot predict the outcome and have no basis for doing so. To me the emotion of fear is no competition in evolutionary, or any other terms, for reason and information and the heuristic dynamics these functions grant us. Rational engagement and information are vastly superior functions to "fear of the unknown" type responses. The development of consciousness has given us a superior model by which to function. We don't need to fear something when we can rationally conclude that we must have information to know how best to engage it. Evolutionary psychologists develop all sorts of hypothetical models of how certain emotions have functioned in human society, but these are models that really just show how human society and behaviour has been shaped by emotions; they are not arguments that emotions are necessary for human function or survival. That's a proposition that can only be tested at an individual level.

The irrelevance of evolutionary arguments.

How emotions have functioned in terms of our evolutionary development, and what benefit or deficit we may be able to surmise in them, are ultimately rather irrelevant considerations to the person interested in what is true in a more fundamental, philosophical sense. Lots of things appear necessary to proper human function. There are theologians and psychologists alike who will argue that God beliefs are fundamental to human consciousness and necessary for adaptive function, regardless of their truth value. Should we extol the virtues of theistic beliefs because some people hold this view? Via experience, those of us who have placed reality and truth foremost in our value framework have come to understand that despite such mental outpourings being a rather natural thing for humanity, they are merely strong inclinations and not functional necessities. Emotion falls into the same category. We have a strong evolutionary disposition towards them; they run deep. This does not, however, either make them true or necessary. If, upon examination, we find that the source of emotions is an illusion that is possible to comprehend and transcend, then it follows that emotion itself may be set aside by the transcendent mind. i.e. emotions don't arise when the source is no longer there to generate them (or when the filters that generate certain types of responses to stimuli are removed and therefore different responses manifest). There are innumerable analogies that might be offered to illustrate this point. I won't bother going there because it's almost kind of kindergartenish to do so. You can insert your own as you see fit.
What makes emotions dangerous is a person's attachment to them. It is much the same as attachment to a thing, or an attachment to money. Since money, emotions, and objects only truly can be known to exist within us, as manifestations in the mind, they are all subject to the same laws. One of those is the tendency to form attachments.
We don't really form attachments to emotions, though we may form attachments to the mental or physical states that are consequent to them. But I'm glad you raised the issue of attachment because that is quite important. The problem is not so much that we are attached to emotion but rather that emotions are manifestations of attachment, the primary one from whence all emotions arise being the idea of an inherently existing self (ego). All attachments derive from this primary source. Specific emotions manifest themselves when certain forms of egotistical engagement and attachment to states of affairs occur (sometimes producing multiple simultaneous expressions of emotions). Let's look at how I make this point to see if helps people see where I'm coming from on this:

Ego=attachment=emotion.

The grandest of illusions - In humans the ego is the primary force of engagement with the world, embodied in a deep and usually unconsidered sense of self/other dualism, which is what the ego essentially is. To delineate these dynamics properly would take an entire, poisonous to the heart, book, so you'll have to forgive my cursory pronouncements here: when the ego develops around the time when self-differentiation occurs, emotions, as we conventionally understand them, begin to develop. They develop in their type and scope as our sense of self and other emerges - driven by practical experience of the dynamics of the world around us. [Now, in passing I'll note that this can actually happen down cultural lines to some extent. There are emotions that may not develop in some cultures that appear quite strongly in others because of the values and social dynamics that drive them. Now, this will probably be a matter of degree rather than one of brute existence or potential for existence, but my point in making that passing observation is that emotions don't develop in a vacuum, but can be influenced and modified by value and belief systems. In a broader sense, emotions as a general category are inevitable where ego development is inevitable, and that is universal but, itself, not entirely without certain differences - i.e. humans may all wear a dress but it may not have the exact same pattern.] As the ego develops and self/other perceptions inform and modify behaviour and responses, our emotional natures grow and flower in all their variegated splendor. Conventional human life and experience flourishes.

The key to these dynamics and of my argument about the falsity of emotions lies in the ultimate falsity of the self/other dualism. As I argued in another post, there is no basis to the belief in the inherent existence of any given thing; this necessarily includes ourselves. There is no true self/other dualism - at least not in any objective, inherent sense. But this is exactly the false construct from which emotions arise. Indeed, emotions wouldn't happen without it. Our sense of inherent selfhood - the ego - is intimately tied to perceptions of loss and gain, having and lacking. Our sense of identity is produced via our attachment to things that are part of the "other" part of our self duality. Whilst the sense of self produces a feeling of separate, inherent existence, it is nevertheless too nebulous to grant itself a sense of secure identity. To achieve this we then identify with, or attach ourselves to, other forms. This can be physical objects, people, ideas, ideologies or a mixture of all or any of these things. If you want to know who or what you really are, look to your attachments, because that's where you'll find your identity. This reinforces the illusion of self and ties all that happens to it. Everthing that happens is happening to this self that doesn't actually exist (like the previously mentioned adulterous behaviour with the milkman).

# When we "fear", what is at threat? Remember too that human fear is a far more complex and sophisticated thing than basic self-preservation instinct we see in other animals. Human fear incorporates the conceptual realms in the from of circumstances that we can project and imagine. Indeed, this fact is very instructive in an investigation of human emotion. We can actually generate emotions via projection and imagination, even though these circumstances don't exist and may never exist. This is an important element of what emotions are and how they arise. They arise out of perceptions that must relate back to something, and relate back in a very particular way - that being within the framework of loss or gain, benefit or deficit, validation or rejection.

# When we "envy", what is it that experiences lacking?

# When we "hate", what is it that experiences events and circumstances that don't meet its needs or preferences?

# When we feel "pride", what is it that required acknowledgment and validation?

# When we "love", what is it that requires relation or the need to attach to one thing above another?

# When we feel "sad", what is it that is lacking or thinks things should have been different for its sake?

When and if the realisation comes that there is no actual self to experience such things, these emotional responses no longer make any sense. They literally have nowhere coherent from whence to arise. It seems somewhat obvious to me how one connects ego with emotion. Ego represents the active body of our false perceptions of reality, therefore, it represents the active source of our delusional emotions. Take away the false perceptions of reality and I can't think of a single emotion that could possibly remain (or arise).

The false and true self.

A self exists. You can't doubt this because if something appears, it exists. But the trick is to know in what way the self exists, and that entails understanding the nature of existence, per se. The appearance we designate "me" doesn't have some miraculous properties and nature that distinguishes it from all other things that we say exist. What we experience as a self, as an apparent seat of consciousness and experience is just like all other things - an appearance whipped by causality (Nature) that lacks inherency. Now, this self is perfectly real, as real as anything else; it's just not an appearance that can generate the sort of psychological output we see in/as emotion. There's isn't the false dualism of self/other and the attachments that accrue as a consequence. There's nothing that loses and gains; nothing that needs security and validation and therefore experiences "rejection"; nothing that desires things be other than how they are or that can be attached to outcomes (being attached doesn't mean you don't work towards them, since purpose and values are hardwired into discriminative consciousness - in much the same sense that a tree isn't attached to the fact that it spreads its roots, it's just part of what trees do).
I think that only when you sever attachments can you be free. Experiencing an emotion is not the same as being attached to it. Emotion does not imply attachment, just as swimming does not imply drowning.
Actually, emotion doesn't so much imply subsequent attachment as it does the existence of attachment, because that's where emotions come from. Without attachments (which are fundamental to how ego functions and a marker for its presence), emotions couldn't possibly arise as there'd be nothing to get emotional about.
But if you arrange your life so that you can keep experiencing an emotion because it gives you pleasure, then you are becoming a slave to the emotion just as if it were an addictive drug.
Yes, that's true, be it your physical life or your mental life. Many people arrange their conceptual life so as to experience as often as possible the emotions attached to, say, moral indignance. Moral indignance is as addictive a drug as any opiate. Religion is one of the greatest suppliers and peddlers of that particular addiction.
You are becoming attached. Falling in love is one such emotion. People get addicted to it and want to keep repeating it, then they wonder why their lives are in such disarray and why they cannot form solid relationships.
Ok, well, this is getting into correlated territory of the nature of desire. But this is already complex enough so I'll just leave that sitting out there for now...
Philosophaster

Re: Emotion, Attachment & Wisdom

Post by Philosophaster »

An emotion is just a kind of mental sensation, a feeling. I don't see how a sensation itself can be "delusional." Maybe you mean that emotions are somehow "caused" by delusional beliefs.

At the fundamental level, people want to have certain types of experiences and not have certain other types of experiences, because the former "feel good" and the latter "feel bad." When this desire is satisfied, they feel happy / content, and when it isn't, they feel bad. It's basically the same as the aversion to extreme heat and extreme cold, which I don't think is based on a delusion, just on the knowledge that some experiences don't feel that nice to have.

Is it deluded to prefer a plain glass of water to one with a few tablespoons of denatonium? I don't think so, even though both drinks will provide the same necessary molecule (water).

I don't think having preferences is necessarily deluded.
Unicorns up in your butt!
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Dan, I just want to clarify that you are differentiating emotions from feelings here? For example, you would consider the feeling of love to be different from the emotion of love?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Philosophaster wrote:An emotion is just a kind of mental sensation, a feeling. I don't see how a sensation itself can be "delusional." Maybe you mean that emotions are somehow "caused" by delusional beliefs.
Nah, you must be thinking of someone else, like whoever wrote the post above.
At the fundamental level, people want to have certain types of experiences and not have certain other types of experiences, because the former "feel good" and the latter "feel bad." When this desire is satisfied, they feel happy / content, and when it isn't, they feel bad. It's basically the same as the aversion to extreme heat and extreme cold, which I don't think is based on a delusion, just on the knowledge that some experiences don't feel that nice to have.
What is the force/ground/basis behind the distinction between good and bad psychological experiences?
Is it deluded to prefer a plain glass of water to one with a few tablespoons of denatonium? I don't think so, even though both drinks will provide the same necessary molecule.
It would be deluded to be emotionally upset over drinking the glass with the denatonium. The physical response is what it is. Personally I like a dollop of denatonium with my grapefruit juice in the morning.
I don't think having preferences is necessarily deluded.
That would depend on the source of one's preferences.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Dan, I just want to clarify that you are differentiating emotions from feelings here? For example, you would consider the feeling of love to be different from the emotion of love?
Though in general, yes, I'm happy to distinguish between certain "feelings" and emotions, it depends on what those feelings specifically are. Love is quite a complex psychological state that generally involves multiple emotions so it's probably not quite sufficient to call "love" an emotion. For me love can manifest as a specific emotion in a given circumstance or as a conglomeration of different emotions in a more general sense (i.e. the state of "being in love").
Elizabeth Isabelle

Couldn't that be said of all feelings vs emotions? And then, exactly where would the line be? Back to philo's example, if one were to be bothered enough by the nasty taste of the water to choose not to drink it, you would not consider that to be an emotional reaction - but if the person was bothered enough by the taste of the water to cram it down the throat of the person who gave them the water, that would be an emotional reaction. Where is the line in between? Is it when they make a face? How about if their voice cracks when they inquire about the source of the water?
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Dan Rowden wrote: Emotions: the evoutionary benefit argument.

The problem of non-replication and hypothesis dichotomy - one of the dilemmas of hypothesising "benefit" in evolutionary terms is that you can't replicate evolutionary history in a lab.
Thats probably true.But it seems to me,intuitively at least,that if I didn't feel an unique love for my son/daughter- but rather an equal 'non-deluded' love for all things-I would be far less willing to sacrifice for him.The parents willingness to sacrifice 'life' (in a literal sense,or even in a willingness to work and prosper sense) for the offspring would seem to have an evolutionary advantage and would be selected for.
Last edited by Ataraxia on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Couldn't that be said of all feelings vs emotions?
I don't see how that matters; if you can identify the phenomena and their source that's all that matters. If a feeling is comprised of emotions then it's a delusional feeling.
And then, exactly where would the line be?
I don't see how it matters. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I understand the question.
Back to philo's example, if one were to be bothered enough by the nasty taste of the water to choose not to drink it, you would not consider that to be an emotional reaction - but if the person was bothered enough by the taste of the water to cram it down the throat of the person who gave them the water, that would be an emotional reaction. Where is the line in between? Is it when they make a face? How about if their voice cracks when they inquire about the source of the water?
This is for the individual to determine. I can't tell, and you can't tell, if there's emotion involved in a person's reaction to something like that. Only they can know it. If one is "bothered" by the taste of the water this can simply mean their body has reacted in a way that causes them suspicion as to the nature of the water. That's not an emotional reaction; that's an instinctive response/feeling. The individual has to consider whether their ego is bringing extraneous responses to such a situation. The last dose of liquid medication I consumed tasted pretty awful; had I not known it was medicine I would never have consumed it. That response doesn't fall into the category of ego based emotion. It was simply a taste that my palate and experience didn't recognise and therefore withdrew from. Had I experienced something like indignance that I'd be subjected to such a circumstance, then I would have been adding that extraneous egotistical dimension.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ataraxia wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote: Emotions: the evoutionary benefit argument.

The problem of non-replication and hypothesis dichotomy - one of the dilemmas of hypothesising "benefit" in evolutionary terms is that you can't replicate evolutionary history in a lab.
Thats probably true.But it seems to me,intuitively at least,that if I didn't feel an unique love for my son/daughter- but rather an equal 'non-deluded' love for all things-I would be far less willing to sacrifice for him.The parents willingness to sacrifice 'life' (in a literal sense,or even in a willingness to work and prosper sense) for the offspring would seem to have an evolutionary advantage and would be selected for.
That's a wisdom in hindsight evaluation, though. One's unique, discriminative love for one's offspring could potentially cause mankind's extinction if one carried a bad gene that became dominant in a population. And there's no reason that conscious appreciation for the reasons one has offspring and for one's purpose and values can't replace and supersede that "love" you mention.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Dan Rowden wrote:
That's a wisdom in hindsight evaluation, though.
Well thats true,but then isn't it true of apsects all of evolution theory?We only have the past to look at.

If evolution can select in man a bigger brain,or oppossaible thumb,why can't it select for the emotion of love for the offspring?

One's unique, discriminative love for one's offspring could potentially cause mankind's extinction if one carried a bad gene that became dominant in a population.
you could make that argument for anything that evolution has selected for.i don't see how it refutes it.
And there's no reason that conscious appreciation for the reasons one has offspring and for one's purpose and values can't replace and supersede that "love" you mention.
Well thats true.I'm not arguing the englightened sage would see the end to humanity.I'm arguing that it's conceivable the emotion 'love' has been selected for in the past.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Dan Rowden wrote:The individual has to consider whether their ego is bringing extraneous responses to such a situation.
Now we're getting into the meat of the topic. If the only non-delusional state is the recognition that we are all One, then when is an individual an individual without being their ego? Then who is it that judges the scope of a situation to determine if anything is extraneous to it? No situation is inherent, so the only non-deluded state is awareness that all situations are ultimately without scope.

I propose even that since no state is inherent, then no state is finite; therefore there is no such thing as a non-deluded state because that would demand the acceptance of the illusion of boundaries as real boundaries. Accepting illusion as reality is delusional.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ataraxia wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:
That's a wisdom in hindsight evaluation, though.
Well thats true,but then isn't it true of apsects all of evolution theory?We only have the past to look at.
To take a teleological view with respect to evolution in general is wrong headed. To take a teleological view with respect to certain selection outcomes I think is hazardous, though sometimes intuitively persuasive (in fact, sometimes that is it intuitively persuasive is the hazard). Just because evolution may have selected for something, it doesn't actually follow that it will be beneficial. The evolutionary record shows that extinction is arguably the most "selected" outcome of all. Evolution doesn't select for outcomes; it "selects" because of circumstantial dominance.
If evolution can select in man a bigger brain,or oppossaible thumb,why can't it select for the emotion of love for the offspring?
Oh, it can and seemingly did. What I'm saying is that we cannot automatically assume benefit or an optimal outcome because it did.
One's unique, discriminative love for one's offspring could potentially cause mankind's extinction if one carried a bad gene that became dominant in a population.
you could make that argument for anything that evolution has selected for.i don't see how it refutes it.
Yeah, that's true of anything to do with evolutionary theory in terms of specifics, which is part of its natural limitation.
And there's no reason that conscious appreciation for the reasons one has offspring and for one's purpose and values can't replace and supersede that "love" you mention.
Well thats true.I'm not arguing the englightened sage would see the end to humanity.I'm arguing that it's conceivable the emotion 'love' has been selected for in the past.
Oh, it must have been given that it's how humans operate. I'm arguing that the fact of its selection isn't automatically an argument that it's good or optimal.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Dan Rowden wrote:I'm arguing that the fact of its selection isn't automatically an argument that it's good or optimal.
Your very argument, your ability and motivation for making it, could be said to be entirely the product of evolutionary selection. Is it automatically good or optimal? Don't answer, it will just be the forces of evolutionary selection answering. ;p
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Dan Rowden wrote:
To take a teleological view with respect to evolution in general is wrong headed. To take a teleological view with respect to certain selection outcomes I think is hazardous, though sometimes intuitively persuasive (in fact, sometimes that is it intuitively persuasive is the hazard).
Agreed.I don't believe that nature has a 'purpose'.But I'm not making a teleological argument.
Just because evolution may have selected for something, it doesn't actually follow that it will be beneficial.
Well if it's been selected for surely we can at least be suspicious it's beneficial from a 'survial of the species perspective'(at least up till today).You seen happy to concede thats emotion has been selected for, and we're here after all.6 billion strong, and counting.
The evolutionary record shows that extinction is arguably the most "selected" outcome of all. Evolution doesn't select for outcomes; it "selects" because of circumstantial dominance.
Fine,no argument from me.
Oh, it can and seemingly did. What I'm saying is that we cannot automatically assume benefit or an optimal outcome because it did.
'Benefit' seems to me the default position.It's for you to argue 'no benefit',I'm sceptical to say the least(ie love of offspring)

Fair enough it may not be optimal.If your argument is that QSR wisdom is more likely to further the human species more successfully than whats got us here to date,go ahead.I'll continue to read with interest.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Pity quality of humour wasn't selected in your genetic strain, Jason. :)
Jason

Post by Jason »

Dan Rowden wrote:Pity quality of humour wasn't selected in your genetic strain, Jason. :)
We must be related then! Boom tish!

But I wasn't just joking, look again at what I wrote(seriously), it's simply that I'm so devastatingly talented that I often manage to mix humour with my awe-inspiring insights. I find it makes people feel a little more at ease in the presence of such brilliance, more receptive to my genius.

Anyway you've got nothing to brag about, Mr Dan "Excruciating Puns" Rowden.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Jason wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Pity quality of humour wasn't selected in your genetic strain, Jason. :)
We must be related then! Boom tish!
Letterman is looking for writers. You willing to cross a picket?
But I wasn't just joking, look again at what I wrote(seriously), it's simply that I'm so devastatingly talented that I often manage to mix humour with my awe-inspiring insights. I find it makes people feel a little more at ease in the presence of such brilliance, more receptive to my genius.
Don't put that in your cover letter to the Letterman Show.
Anyway you've got nothing to brag about, Mr Dan "Excruciating Puns" Rowden.
Oh, don't get all envy-delusional on me, Jason. I got your point, I just didn't find it especially useful.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Dan Rowden wrote:Letterman is looking for writers. You willing to cross a picket?
And he does have a beard now, last time I checked anyway.
Oh, don't get all envy-delusional on me, Jason.

Me envy-delusional? A very emphatic "maybe".
I got your point, I just didn't find it especially useful.
That's just evolution talking.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Letterman has a beard? Good grief, what a pathetic attempt at intellectual credibility. What's even more disturbing is that "Letterman" was in my Firefox spell check.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ataraxia wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:
To take a teleological view with respect to evolution in general is wrong headed. To take a teleological view with respect to certain selection outcomes I think is hazardous, though sometimes intuitively persuasive (in fact, sometimes that is it intuitively persuasive is the hazard).
Agreed.I don't believe that nature has a 'purpose'.But I'm not making a teleological argument.
Ok, fair enough, but I see the implication of one, though, and I want to warn against that sort of thinking.
Just because evolution may have selected for something, it doesn't actually follow that it will be beneficial.
Well if it's been selected for surely we can at least be suspicious it's beneficial from a 'survial of the species perspective'(at least up till today).You seen happy to concede thats emotion has been selected for, and we're here after all.6 billion strong, and counting.
Well, this is a judgment that sort of makes my point about timeframe. 6 billion and "counting" (exponentially) might reasonably be regarded as a recipe for extinction, or at least decimation. Population "success" does not equal evolutionary "success". This is the problem with judging outcomes in evolution. What criteria and timeframe are we working with?
'Benefit' seems to me the default position.It's for you to argue 'no benefit',I'm sceptical to say the least(ie love of offspring)
Love, in your terms, may well have been beneficial in certain stages of human evolution, or mammalian evolution for that matter, but the evolution of consciousness has made such judgments complex.
If your argument is that QSR wisdom is more likely to further the human species more successfully than whats got us here to date,go ahead.I'll continue to read with interest.
This all rests on your values and goals - and frankly determines much of our hindsight judgements of evolution (which is part of what Jason was implying). If you can't see how consciousness grants us a better selection outcome then I see no point in attempting to argue that quintessential point.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I would also like to point to a discussion that happened elsewhere (past tense) because it contained very good elements of discussion pertinent to this thread:

http://futurephilosophy.org/vintage/viewtopic.php?t=241
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Dan Rowden wrote: Well, this is a judgment that sort of makes my point about timeframe. 6 billion and "counting" (exponentially) might reasonably be regarded as a recipe for extinction, or at least decimation.
I don't deny that man has a potential for extinction in the future.In fact I think we'd agree at this juncture it is looking somewhat perilous in the none to distant future if theres not shift in mans thinking.
Population "success" does not equal evolutionary "success". This is the problem with judging outcomes in evolution. What criteria and timeframe are we working with?
Fair enough.But it would be hard to argue that man has been anything other than 'successful' -evolutionary speaking-to date.What happens ahead for man remains to be seen.
Love, in your terms, may well have been beneficial in certain stages of human evolution, or mammalian evolution for that matter, but the evolution of consciousness has made such judgments complex.
So it seems you tacitly agree with me.
This all rests on your values and goals - and frankly determines much of our hindsight judgements of evolution (which is part of what Jason was implying).
So too with you.
If you can't see how consciousness grants us a better selection outcome then I see no point in attempting to argue that quintessential point.
I've never denied that.I'd be crazy to do so.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

brokenhead: Dan, are you saying that every emotion is a delusion?
Dan Rowden: Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Then I have to disagree. Since delusions are by nature counterproductive, that is undesirable, things, then every emotion must be a negative thing as well. We have not even pinned down satisfactorily what emotions are. As I have said elsewhere, I believe that Love is divine in nature. It doesn't come from you, it comes through you. It is a power; it may, in fact, be power. Empowerment of the one through which it flows is not a priori a negative thing; empowerment of the ones it flows toward is not either.

Hatred, as I have also noted elsewhere, is barely an emotion at all. Fear is more closely the opposite of love, yet it is not of divine origin. It does not empower. Hatred does not empower. Neither does jealousy or anger. Anything human in origin can be a delusion. Anything divine in origin cannot. An agnostic or an atheist cannot comprehend divinity, or refutes it, and therefore is limiting the potential benefit love can bestow, as well as limiting his or her own understanding.

You will no doubt dismiss this summarily, Dan.
brokenhead: Speaking for myself, I don't think every emotion is a delusion, nor is every delusion an instance of emotion.
Dan: Well, no, to suggest the latter would be a serious logical fallacy, obviously. But it doesn't mean much to say not all emotions are delusional unless you show how and why some might be and that not all emotions arise from the same source.
See above. All I can tell you is that in my life it has paid enormous dividends not to assume that all emotions arise from the same source, reside in the same human places, have the same effect(s), or in any other way can be said to be the same, other than that they are called emotions, which is simply a way to separate them from other human internal experiences. To lump them together and call them delusions is cowardly and self-defeating, IMO.
Dan: We can see the way emotional states can be created, modified and even nullified by belief states
So can rational ideas. In fact, an entire rational belief structure can come tumbling down in face of the evidence. "If you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel."
brokenhead: It (a delusion) is a notion held despite evidence to the contrary.
Dan: Well, not explicitly. That's more heading in the direction of cognitive dissonance. I wouldn't place emotions in that category, really. They are manifestations of a natural, developmental mindstate that just happens to be grounded in illusion. It really only becomes "delusional" when you start to consciously believe in it.
But you have said all things are illusion. To consciously believe in anything would then be delusional, whether it is an emotional reaction, or the QRS philosophy. I think you are mistaken here. I am simply giving you the dictionary definition of a delusion. You have not demonstrated that the illusion that is an emotion is necessarily more detrimental than the illusion of a philosophical system, if that system proves to be counterproductive when applied. Therefore, one cannot be said to be delusional and the other not. I maintain that the delusion - the thing we want to combat and eliminate - is by defimition counterproductive, that is, harmful to the self or to others. If love or joy are emotions, then I believe we have examples of emotions that are not necessarily delusional. Anger, hatred, fear, yes. But these do not comprise proof of the claim that all emotion is counterproductive. If I find in my own existence that some emotion is beneficial, then your theory is false on the face of it, as my experiences are as valid as yours or Sue's.
brokenhead: The QRS philosophy does not, as I understand it, claim it is possible to have a mind in which those weeds cannot grow.
Dan: Yes it does. Enlightenment is such a state. Some people have false ideas about what false ideas really are.
My mistake. Then I am forced to further disagree with it. Or else I have never met an enilghtened person. I have met people in whom those weeds do not grow. But it takes constant vigilance. The vigilance is unwavering and to all appearances, automatic.
Dan: I don't believe any empirical viewpoint, for example, can be delusional; mistaken - yes, limited - yes, contingent - necessarily, but not delusional as such. However, what would, for example, make an empirical view delusional, would be if it were to be held to be something it cannot logically be, such as objectively real or absolute. Do you see the distinction I'm making here?
I think so, but again, you are not following through on that distinction. If no empirical viewpoint can be objectively real, then what would make your philosophy less delusional than a belief in God, for example, or my contention that not all emotions are counterproductive? If I do not believe that Love is always delusional and I do not believe that QRS philosophy is always delusional, what makes one belief delusional and the other not?
Dan: One could easily built a cogent argument that says we are here despite having to deal with emotions and that we'd be far more evolutionarily advanced without them.
You are lumping all emotions in together. I am trying to say that that is incorrect. The cogent argument would in fact be more than cogent, it would be unassailable, if you didn't do that!
Dan: Most people I've met think emotions are necessary for humans to function. The arguments on this score are many and varied, running the gamut from the scientifically sophisticated to the purely sentimental. I don't find any of them remotely convincing. What I would concede is that an absence of emotion would render a person dysfunctional if not accompanied (and indeed caused by) by a heightening of consciousness and reason
I agree. The arguments are not convincing. There would be no possibility of dysfunction, however, and the heightening of consciousness all but automatic, if you did not hold on to the mistaken notion that all emotions are the same in their origin or function. They are so clearly differing in their effects, their different origins should be obvious. And they would be, if you allowed the possibility of the Divine, both in the origin of things and their destiny, as well as in the here and now.
Dan: Fear is not predictive, it is purely reactive. This non-predictive dimension of fear makes it an automatically risky response as we cannot predict the outcome and have no basis for doing so. To me the emotion of fear is no competition in evolutionary, or any other terms
You are now making my argument.
Dan: The problem is not so much that we are attached to emotion but rather that emotions are manifestations of attachment
"Love means knowing when to let go."
Dan: As I argued in another post, there is no basis to the belief in the inherent existence of any given thing; this necessarily includes ourselves.
Then a few lines down:
Dan: A self exists. You can't doubt this because if something appears, it exists.
Now, I know you go on to elucidate both staements, but the more you do, the more it seems as though you are trying to wriggle through or away from something.
brokenhead: I think that only when you sever attachments can you be free. Experiencing an emotion is not the same as being attached to it. Emotion does not imply attachment, just as swimming does not imply drowning.
Dan: Actually, emotion doesn't so much imply subsequent attachment as it does the existence of attachment, because that's where emotions come from. Without attachments (which are fundamental to how ego functions and a marker for its presence), emotions couldn't possibly arise as there'd be nothing to get emotional about.
This is ouroborous thinking. It is circular illogic. I admit that attachments occur. I will even admit that attachment and negative emotions may be one and the same thing. But to say that one self and another's self are one and the same is to deny the personhood granted to each human sentient being. I am not Osama bin Laden. My hatred for him his not counterproductive. I would kill him if he were in the room. Childish, but you get my drift.

Okay, enough for now. Gotta see a man about a dog.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Philosophaster wrote:An emotion is just a kind of mental sensation, a feeling. I don't see how a sensation itself can be "delusional." Maybe you mean that emotions are somehow "caused" by delusional beliefs.
I think that is what Dan has been saying. I would agree that negative emotions are caused by delusional beliefs, whereas inspred or insightful beliefs can cause positive emotions such as love and gratitude.

In many an esoteric school, no precise dividing line exists between emotions and other forms of cognition. Rather, the main difference is one of "fineness." To wit, as one meditates or succumbs to the effect of certain drugs (which shall remain nameless), one "rises through the aethers." This is more than mumbo jumbo. As one "leaves" the coarsest plane, that of the physical body, one next encounters the "etheric" plane. This is the plane between the physical and the astral. If the astral is where dreams occur and "reside," the etheric would be where night terrors - extremely real-seeming dreams - reside. These dreams are terrifying because they do not follow the laws of physical reality, and yet do not entail that feeling of ordinary dreams that can be paraphrased by the words "this is only a dream, I can and will wake up from it." Next is the astral plane, the lower part of which is home to the emotional self. The next higher planes are the intellectual plane and on up to the spiritual plane. Each plane includes the bodies or "sheathes" of the planes above it. When you are awake in your physical body, you can experience emotions, thoughts, and spiritual realities. When you are dreaming, the physical and etheric planes do not exist. Similarly, when dwelling entirely - if temporarily - on the spiritual plane, language, the attachments of emotions, all no longer exist and "bliss" is what remains. Duality has been transcended. And the bliss cannot be conveyed to someone who has not experienced it, because all language depends on duality, for every concept must include its own negation.

What I am saying is that the emotions that include fear, anger, jealousy, hatred, resentment, greed, envy, pride, all have their origins in the lower planes or "aethers." They are symptoms of attachment; attachment is not a symptom of them. Attachment is characteristic of the lowest planes of existence. Attachment to what? The answer is clear: attachment to the delusions of the ego. It is a delusion that survival of the soul - of one's very existence - depends on the physical body. Therefore, you become attached to the notion, and that causes fear of death. It is a delusion that one matters more than other people; attachment to that delusion produces jealousy and the belief that one's juvenile anger is important and beneficial. Attachment to the delusion of our own importance is the wellspring of pride and greed.

Attachment to delusions having caused negative emotions, it is then possible for attachment to the negative emotions - as they are in themselves delusional - to produce further negative emotions, which forms a vicious cycle. In fact, it may be observed that negative emotions usually behave this way, that they tend to accompany each other. But they - their vicious cycle - always begin with delusion and the attachments to the delusion that results.

I believe there is a qualitative difference between the negative emotions and the positive emotions. Resisting or eliminating delusions results in fewer attachments, and permits one to dwell in the finer, less coarse and base, levels of existence. One is not so tied down. Yet you feel emotions just the same, albeit not the same emotions. These are qualitatively different because you - your spirit - is rising, not falling or being tied down. You are encumbered by fewer delusions, therefore fewer attachments. Love can make you sacrifice you possessions instead of hoarding them, your life instead of fearing for it.

I believe that what Philo has said here is really quite important and captures the reality more than just superficially.