people

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
joesomebody

people

Post by joesomebody »

people are influenced by people who are influenced by the people around them. think for yourself
average

Re: people

Post by average »

joesomebody wrote:people are influenced by people who are influenced by the people around them. think for yourself

keep posts like this to yourself then...lest you influence someone
xerox

Post by xerox »

Last edited by xerox on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joesomebody

Post by joesomebody »

one day someone will introduce you to yourself! xerox I think you're onto something genius! haha i'm just joking you basically reworded my first sentence.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

joesomebody wrote:people are influenced by people who are influenced by the people around them. think for yourself
People = Too whole of mankind. Should be 'some people' or 'fools' or 'Clones'
xerox

Post by xerox »

Last edited by xerox on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moatilliatta

Post by Moatilliatta »

You don't seem to be saying much about what you think about this truth. While I agree with you that it's true...there doesn't seem to be much discussion value; just as if I posted "A=A" and waited for a reply.

So let me ask you, have you heard of the Sentinelese? They are a group of people living on an island off the coast of India who are virtually untouched by society. A few expeditions to contact them took place, but as soon as the boats neared the shore, the visitors were greeted with a hail of arrows. And now, I believe, the Indian government has made it illegal to disturb them.

So, my question is...do you think these people think more freely than an average member of modern society? They've had less diverse interactions, therefore their thinking must be somewhat less influenced by other things. From our point of view, it would then seem that "thinking freely", as they do, isn't very rewarding. We've achieved astounding technology and well-intentioned political systems. These people probably think the sun is magic. But then again, for all our advancements, we've got our share of problems that the Sentinelese are free from. It reminds me of a Modest Mouse lyric, which went something like "For every invention, how much time did we save? We're just as far along as we were in the cave". This always struck me as meaning that every step forward we take, there's a new problem to counteract it, so in the end, everything always ends up balanced out.

Eventually, this comes back to the whole "is ignorance really bliss?" quandary. I've begun to ramble.

Since it appears that our thinking is dictated by experience, which is in turn dictated by others who are dictated by experience and so on...I suppose the most logical thing to do would be to experience as much as possible. This would give you the broadest view of what people are doing that is so damn influential...and maybe, just maybe, when we get to the end we can make a decision for ourselves.

Go along for the ride, and try not to berate others for either not liking it or liking it too much.
sapincher

Post by sapincher »

In regard to the first post, I would have to say that it is very complexly worded. Good job. It has been studied that the effect of the passing of intergenerational knowledge plays a large part in the cognitive processes. This concept evinces itself in the hypothetical situation of a parent reading a book on how to be a parent. The loop of influence is that the parent, who passes on his or her gained knowledge to their offspring, gains it by studying the work of another, more renowned human (who may or may not even be a parent by him or her-self). This is just one of a shocking amount of situations in which this piece of logic can apply.

However, I do agree with the proposed elements of discussion by Motitillatiatta. One can simply not derive any further content from your proverb. Instead of viewing this through cynical, pessimistic spectacles, why not just view it as it is. Nature is nature and humanity is humanity. Aw, crap, a ladybug just landed on my laptop screen. I despise ladybugs.

I am actually going to hijack this thread and introduce myself. Hello, fellow geniuses. My name is Sapincher. It comes out of a bit of Christmas lore and tradition of my family. You see, we like to characterize our tree, and it just so happens that the most interesting characterization happens when the tree's personality is perceived as noble. Thus, this gives rise to the combination of the French words "sapin cher," or, "noble tree." This is how I perceive myself as well, a steadfast figure in today's ever-changing society, with roots firmly planted in these traditions and a vast array of pine needles, which serve as a symbol of my personality (sweet scented yet grating) and my desire to be closer with nature through my guiding spirit's photosynthesis. I am an autistic homeschooled teenager with a 168 IQ. Please pardon my social graces (or lack thereof , heh heh). You see, I don't get out much.
my iq is higher than yo's
ataxas

Post by ataxas »

I've never heard the adjective "cher" translated as "noble". Unless I am very much mistaken, you have been a victim of mis-translation, and your name means something like "our dear fir tree", or "the expensive fir tree".
sapincher

Post by sapincher »

Honestly, you're right. I made all that up.

I just like the name.
my iq is higher than yo's
ataxas

Post by ataxas »

Thank goodness; someone with a sense of humor.
Perishable

Post by Perishable »

people are influenced by people who are influenced by the people around them. think for yourself
Influenced or effected?
The past is doomed to repeat itself, perhaps in a different matter but it the same concept.
He was a Genius...