How to PROVE GOD EXISTS?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Re: How to PROVE GOD EXISTS?

Post by Kevin Solway »

brokenhead wrote:You can't prove God exists by rational means. If it were possible, it would have been done long ago. Preponderance of evidence strongly suggests He does.
What kind of God are you talking about? A conscious being?

What preponderance of evidence are you talking about?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

To begin with, humans exist.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

That anything exists.

Preponderance, not proof.

And to avoid absurdity, yes, conscious.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

brokenhead wrote:That anything exists.
So let's imagine that everything was created by a conscious being. Then who created that conscious being?

If that conscious being does not require a creator, then nor does existence.

So imagining the existence of a conscious creator-being doesn't actually get us anywhere.

We could imagine that we are all part of a computer simulation created by a computer programmer. But then we have to ask, "Where did the programmer come from?", etc.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Why not? Something tells me you have had this exchange before. If I allow what you just wrote, then in fact we have a proof that God does not exist. But what you wrote is merely an assertion.

More to the point would be, why do you make the assertion? It costs nothing to philosophically accept the I AM.
So imagining the existence of a conscious creator-being doesn't actually get us anywhere.
It resolves otherwise unknowable phenomenona. If a self-aware being - man - arose out of the primordial muck, how do you account for it? How do you account for any life? With nothing pulling, or pushing, chemical elements into more and more complex molecules, then organisms with cells and organanelles, finally into beings with organs and souls, why did it happen? And do you account for souls? Is there nothing present in a human and later, inevitably, absent in that human's corpse?

Again, I'm talking about preponderance of the evidence. I can more comprehend someone who does not deny a God, but does deny that the God is a loving one.

I am emphatically not just relying on evidence available to the naked eye. Take the science and study of Electromagnetics, for instance. Why does it reduce to four equations (Maxwell's Equations)? How could the evolutionarily emerging species of man know beforehand to evolve in a direction in which he would eventually be able abstractly to predict the behavior of light?

It is just so much easier to allow the existence of a Creator. To deny the existence of a Creator requires sophistries more and more difficult to maintain in the face of new scientific discoveries.

Preponderance.
Last edited by brokenhead on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

brokenhead wrote:
Why not?
Because if we say that a conscious being (God) can be uncaused then we have thereby relaxed the rules that a thing requires a cause. And if we relax the rule that a thing requires a cause then it is not required that existence has a cause.

You could argue that some things require a cause while other things don't require a cause, but you would need a very good reason to do so. You would need to specify exactly why existence requires a cause, and also exactly why a particular conscious being (God) doesn't require a cause.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

You could argue that some things require a cause while other's don't require a cause, but you would need a very good reason to do so. You would need to specify exactly why existence requires a cause, and also exactly why a particular conscious being (God) doesn't require a cause.
And I say look around you for good reasons.

What's the alternative? All things require a cause or nothing does?
sulochanosho

Post by sulochanosho »

I rather find the circus to prove the existence of a loose non-entity called GOD is at once futile and unwaranted. To live our life totally in a here and now makes a good sense and investment. Love the existing life, fellow beings, the environment, and beings. Let us live our life more gracefully and beautifully. That alone is GOD, if at all God exists. Proving God's existence in a puritan way is simply a waste of investment. It doesn't fetch anything.
Sorry, I am tuning a diffrent note.
http://sulochanosho.wordpress.com
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Proving God's existence in a puritan way is simply a waste of investment. It doesn't fetch anything.
Sorry, I am tuning a diffrent note.
Of course it doesn't fetch anything, because it's not possible. I totally agree.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

I say look around you for good reasons.
If you think that there are good reasons why "existence" needs a cause, then why do you think there aren't the same good reasons for why the existence of a conscious God-being also needs a cause?
brokenhead wrote:All things require a cause or nothing does?
All things require a cause, full stop.

Once you realize that "existence" is not a thing, but is in fact Infinite, then you realize that it cannot have a cause (because there is nothing other than "existence").
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

All things require a cause, full stop.
I am in no way convinced of that. I'll give you all things which a human being can fully comprehend require a cause. Any thing that does not fall into that category is an "elsewhere" to human thought and there is no logical need to require laws of causality to hold in that elsewhere.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

I also note that you are not responding to all of my points but instead are zeroing in on this one, which is fine. But we're going for preponderance, not proof, i.e., a decision as opposed to a knockout. Points count.
Once you realize that "existence" is not a thing, but is in fact Infinite, then you realize that it cannot have a cause (because there is nothing other than "existence").
Are you using "existence" as a synonym for "reality?" Infinite in what way, temporal or spatial? Or both? What about nonexistence? You are saying nonexistence is nonexsitent. That's a logical contradiction, is it not?
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

To examine the universe with intelligence and design and conclude the universe is composed of neither property is to miss the point by an entire universe.

How can the observation of the universe with intellect and design result in dismissal of both as void?
DFBatosee

Post by DFBatosee »

I try to be logical if at all possible but this really cant be one of those times. The only way to truly say God is real is by faith. he cant be proved or disproved it is by faith you believe or don't believe in his existence.

I'm just saying. Not trying to make an argument.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

DFBatosee wrote:I try to be logical if at all possible but this really cant be one of those times. The only way to truly say God is real is by faith. he cant be proved or disproved it is by faith you believe or don't believe in his existence.

I'm just saying. Not trying to make an argument.
I agree 100%. We're not trying to prove God exists - we are examining the evidence.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Kevin Solway wrote:
brokenhead wrote:
Why not?
Because if we say that a conscious being (God) can be uncaused then we have thereby relaxed the rules that a thing requires a cause. And if we relax the rule that a thing requires a cause then it is not required that existence has a cause.

You could argue that some things require a cause while other things don't require a cause, but you would need a very good reason to do so. You would need to specify exactly why existence requires a cause, and also exactly why a particular conscious being (God) doesn't require a cause.
Yes,that's right.

It has seemed to me for quite some time that Aquinas' ex causa argument ironically makes the best case for the non-existence of a Christian God.

Aquinas' 'proof" :
1.Some things are caused.
2.Everything that is caused is caused by something else.
3.An infinite regress of causation is impossible.
4.Therefore, there must be an uncaused cause of all caused things.
5.This causer is what we call God.

Proposition 1 'begs the question'. Why are only some things caused-What 'things' must we exclude.And why?
Proposition 2 is fine,but it contradicts propostion 1.If everything that is caused needs a causer,then so does Chrisitan God.
Proposition 3.If an "infinite regress is impossible", then we can conclude that the past is 'beginingless'.And thus doesn't require only some things to be caused.

Aquinas,and by extention all orthodox Christian argument on behalf of the existence of God can allow us to conclude - using the law of excluded middle and non contradiction- that everything has a cause,the past is 'begingless'.

It's the ex ex causa argument :)
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

brokenhead wrote:
Are you using "existence" as a synonym for "reality?"
Yes. Existence is whatever exists, and reality is made up of all that exists.
Infinite in what way, temporal or spatial? Or both?
Infinite in the sense that there is nothing other than it.
What about nonexistence? You are saying nonexistence is nonexistent. That's a logical contradiction, is it not?
Tell me exactly what "nonexistence" is and I'll tell you whether it is existent or not.

If it's existent then it's part of existence, otherwise not. That which is not existent is not part of existence.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

DFBatosee wrote:The only way to truly say God is real is by faith. he cant be proved or disproved it is by faith you believe or don't believe in his existence.
If I said that God was a square circle, or something else that is logically impossible, then faith doesn't come into it.

Such a thing is logically impossible, and that is that.

Such is the case with the Christian God.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Tell me exactly what "nonexistence" is and I'll tell you whether it is existent or not.
The concept of zero.
Last edited by brokenhead on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Such a thing is logically impossible, and that is that.

Such is the case with the Christian God.
Such is not the case with the Christian God.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Or any God.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

brokenhead wrote:
The concept of zero.
That obviously exists as you can talk about it and utilise it in math.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

So existence is

Yet I just gave you an example!
This is basic set theory!
I knew this was going to happen. Why do I do this to myself? It's like trying to describe color to a blind man. Worse! Like trying to describe color to sighted man who has his hands clamped over his eyes! "I'm not going to look and you can't make me!"

Here I am trying to use logic to prove that God exists, when I already admitted that no such proof was possible. And it's your fault - you tricked me into it! You know these ropes infinitely better than I. What happened to preponderance?

Why I give a shit is beyond me, but you are selling yourself short, Kevin. I could easily take your position logically, but then I'd have to go about coming up with sophistries every day to keep it. Dull, dull, dull.

Where the hell is your sense of wonder? What do you gain by denying the existence of a God? What if faith is not just a delusion? Who's going to be the jackass then? What does it cost you to at least entertain the notion that a God exists?

You still didn't respond to my question: How could the evolutionarily emerging species of man know beforehand to evolve in a direction in which he would eventually be able abstractly to predict the behavior of light? Maxwell's equations. Just one thing on our preponderance scales.

Look out into the night and see suns instead of stars! It's all out there, each world evolving God's children of space and time.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

brokenhead wrote:So existence is

Yet I just gave you an example!
An example of what?

You said that the concept of zero was an example of "nonexistence". The concept of zero exists, and therefore it is part of existence.

Anything that exists is part of existence.
Here I am trying to use logic to prove that God exists, when I already admitted that no such proof was possible.
Not only is there no proof that God exists, but there's not even any reason to think there might be one. And even if there were a conscious creator-God it doesn't answer anything for us from a philosophical or spiritual point of view, because the question of where God comes from and why he does what he does remains unanswered.
Where the hell is your sense of wonder?
If a conscious God being existed, would he have a sense of wonder? I doubt it. So would that be a fault on his part?

There's no point in feeling wonder about things that you understand fully. It's a bit like feeling wonder at a magic trick when you know exactly how the trick is done.
What do you gain by denying the existence of a God?
There could be a conscious alien creator being (God), out there somewhere, and he could be either good or evil. It's just that there's no reason to think that there is any such being.
How could the evolutionarily emerging species of man know beforehand to evolve in a direction in which he would eventually be able abstractly to predict the behavior of light? Maxwell's equations. Just one thing on our preponderance scales.
It sounds like you don't understand anything about evolution.

Things evolve in any direction which helps them to pass their genes onto the next generation. Conscious intelligence, such as we have, gives us an advantage (in the short-term at least) to pass on our genes. That's all there is to it. If our intelligence doesn't prove to be an advantage in the long-term, with regard to survival, then we will go extinct.

Things don't know beforehand in which direction they are going to evolve. It all depends on the roll of the dice.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Anything that exists is part of existence.
Stop right there. How can you have existence without nonexistence? The concept cannot have meaning without duality, no concept can. I can define nonexistence as that which does not belong to the set of things that exist. If you are relying on logic, stay within its bounds. If you are saying nonexistence is just a concept, then so must existence be.

And anyway, you don't even have a sound definition of existence. I can conceive of there being something outside of the lightcone of any event - in the "elsewhere." Yet I can by definition never verify its existence. So: does the thing in the elsewhere exist?

Your reductionism makes your world picture grotesque.
It sounds like you don't understand anything about evolution.

Things evolve in any direction which helps them to pass their genes onto the next generation. Conscious intelligence, such as we have, gives us an advantage (in the short-term at least) to pass on our genes. That's all there is to it. If our intelligence doesn't prove to be an advantage in the long-term, with regard to survival, then we will go extinct.
How did the genes get there in the first place? Magic?
There's no point in feeling wonder about things that you understand fully. It's a bit like feeling wonder at a magic trick when you know exactly how the trick is done.
Aren't you just the life of the party? How about feeling wonder about something you don't understand fully? No wait, don't tell me, there isn't anything you don't understand fully, correct?

It would be funny if you weren't being dead serious.
I notice you are only picking some of my points to respond to.
So how do you account for life?