Question for the intellectually mature.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
MindExpansion

Question for the intellectually mature.

Post by MindExpansion »

What studies and intellectual strain must one pursue in order to exploit ones' cogitive potential.

To put it bluntly, what must I read, study, exercise in order to peak my intelligence.

If you are capable to respond with thoroughly, thank you.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: Question for the intellectually mature.

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

MindExpansion wrote:What studies and intellectual strain must one pursue in order to exploit ones' cogitive potential.

To put it bluntly, what must I read, study, exercise in order to peak my intelligence.

You might want to start with this updated classic originally written in 1918, but most recently updated in 1999.

Also, you might want to become familiar with this website.
Kevin Solway

Stimulating the brain

Post by Kevin Solway »

I recommend a lot of variety.

Listening, speaking (if only reading aloud to yourself), writing, and reading poetry, Zen, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Weininger, etc, and even science.

I've also found it useful to become expert at uncovering other people's lies (eg, journalists, priests, etc). . . . this kind of lie-detection is a real challenge to the mind.

All this will exercise the whole heart and brain.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: Stimulating the brain

Kevin Solway wrote:I've also found it useful to become expert at uncovering other people's lies (eg, journalists, priests, etc). . . . this kind of lie-detection is a real challenge to the mind.
The best way to accomplish this is the Socratic method of critical thinking.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Start with easy math, like multiplication tables, to build up skills in concentration and focus. Read something everyday, starting with simple texts like Harry Potter, to build comprehension power and lengthen your attention span. These are tools you will need to test ideas, and to accurately observe yourself and the world around you.

Seek those in real life who are more astute than you in the ways you wish to be, and learn from them. Learn by watching, then emulating, then being.
Good Citizen Carl
ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

If you're interested in philosophy, then there are a great deal of works on its history that are well worth reading. The problems that philosophy is concerned with haven't changed much since the time of Plato, and to understand a lot of modern thought on the subject, you really do have to have some grasp on what's already been said. Why reinvent the wheel after all? I'd suggest reading up on the ancient Greeks (Thales to Aristotle), the rationalists (Descartes, Spinoza, Leibniz), the empiricists (Locke, Berkeley, Hume), and of course Kant, James, Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, and W. V. Quine.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Think deeply about the "cause and effect" process.

Do not accept any form of belief that assumes the existence of something supernatural. Don't be herded into beliefs by those you know.

Do not respect any authorities that place emotional thinking above rational thinking. Find a mentor who is rational.

Tackle problems with courage as soon as they develop. Courage is a skill one must learn early by being adventurous.

I'm sure if I had of spent a few weeks thinking about this when I was young that I would have become a very different person.

Write, even if just to yourself, without regard to the views of anyone else. Use your own intuition.

I agree with both Kevin and Elizabeth - develop an interest in science and look up and practice using any word you are not familiar with.
ExpectantlyIronic

Carl,
Seek those in real life who are more astute than you in the ways you wish to be, and learn from them. Learn by watching, then emulating, then being.

You just suggested that people be poseurs. I didn't know that anyone in real life actually thought like that. I'm stunned. That's about the most wretched thing I can imagine. Since when does it help someones intellectual development to be a freaking poseur? It doesn't. I can't even argue against such a point, because I can't think of a single interpretation of it that might make sense.
Katy

Post by Katy »

I don't know that there is an answer to this question, really. I mean, there are starting places, but no Direct Path To Truth...

EI has a good beginners list to western philosophy there, somewhere around here there's a good list of eastern philosophers... but find someone you're interested in rather than reading the beginners list just because it's the beginners list.
If you (like I) find Descartes to be a patronizing asshole who is making you hate what you're doing move on to something else. If you start out bored, you'll drop it before you realize there's anything else to it (I was guilty of this years ago but fortunately found my way back)
*I'm not advocating doing this forever - but it's a starting technique*

One of the things I've unexpectedly found is that writing every day is useful in more than just a "collect thoughts" manner - though that's useful too. I went back and read what I wrote a year ago at New Years and was surprised to find that I was entirely embarassed at what I wrote... so not only was I able to see progress, but it pointed out to me a lot of things I still need to work on - especially where there are patterns of things that seem to keep coming up.

And not to sound like a high school principal, but remain active and engaged in what you are learning.

Sheesh - I think I've just said something horribly misleading if I sound like I think I'm ahead of anyone else with an active interest - because I'm not, really. But that's the advice from another person just starting out, mostly mistakes I've already made...

ExpectantlyIronic wrote:Carl,

You just suggested that people be poseurs. I didn't know that anyone in real life actually thought like that. I'm stunned.
Really? I've heard "fake it 'till you make it" repeatedly... mostly out of the church who keep telling me that if I pretend to be like Christ in my actions eventually my thoughts will follow. Having never tried it, I don't know if it works.
-Katy
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I recommend examining the content of your own questions..
ExpectantlyIronic

Katy,
If you (like I) find Descartes to be a patronizing asshole who is making you hate what you're doing move on to something else.
That's actually great advice (expecially as it applies to Descartes).
Really? I've heard "fake it 'till you make it" repeatedly... mostly out of the church who keep telling me that if I pretend to be like Christ in my actions eventually my thoughts will follow. Having never tried it, I don't know if it works.
Touché.

I imagine that you didn't try it because the people who told you that weren't like Christ. Furthermore, you probably realize that being a Katy is far better then being a parrot Christ. Seriously, Christ wasn't a parrot Christ, so why should anyone else be?
Jason

Post by Jason »

MindExpansion wrote:What studies and intellectual strain must one pursue in order to exploit ones' cogitive potential.

What do you mean by intelligence? Or cognitive potential? Are you talking about IQ? How are you going to judge if your intelligence increases? Why do you want to "peak" these things?

Asking for a list of things to read, and a bunch of exercises seems very limiting to me. So instead, I thought I'd list some characteristics and principles that can apply across the board and that I highly value(and will make me happy to list):

0. Dreams and desires
1. Faith in yourself and your ability to attain your dreams and desires
2. Curiosity and wonder
3. Imagination
4. Passion and drive
5. Hatred of ignorance and incorrectness
6. Love of learning, information, facts and knowledge
7. Doubt and skepticism (including towards yourself)
8. Desire for progress and growth
9. Self honesty and non-defensiveness
10. Analytical mindset towards the external and internal world
11. Creativity, inventiveness, playfulness and experimental attitude to things
12. Capable of thinking and acting outside the box
13. Never say die attitude: the ability to take the pain and fight the obstacles you may face whilst following the above, and still continue on.

-
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

thanks to all
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

I see Dan Rowden is still a ignorant prick...Guess some things never change.
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

[MindExpansion wrote]Thankyou
[/quote]
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

You might want to start with this updated classic originally written in 1918, but most recently updated in 1999.

Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Mind E,

What is it about Dan that you don't like? I find nothing wrong with him.
bert

Re: Question for the intellectually mature.

Post by bert »

exactly! your cognitive potential!

will I grow tired of repeating this? : there are no final conclusions.we are born believing in an utmost,and life is such a desire believing.and therefore,believe in the power of belief,and that sincerity will make sufficient Will in to a whole for its purposes.accept the 'as if'(consciously false,appearance),to evoke from your unknown self a means of transcedentalism and the magic of dynamic change.

I ,myself,am learning the multiplicity of all things - of the gods.'being' is something of everything in all things,but nothing comes to be except by the accidental suited unities of apartnesses that make our differences.
realizing your essential separatness and seeing yourself as everything else,can be considered 'the first accomplishment'.

the socratic method ,as already mentioned, is a good help to accomplish this.socrates and others were already practicising the stoic principles before Zeno made an ism of it.the profound rule to become like the stoic is to see one's reflection everywhere,and by seeing everything as in oneself...or,a backslider to all pretensions - discovers his pretensions...

from 'the first accomplishment' on his only virtue is to further differantiate himself from all otherness,then alone has he won manhood towards Godhood.

your gods are your potential,you will never outgrow them;they grow with you!
Elizabeth Isabelle

Dan Rowden wrote:I recommend examining the content of your own questions..
MindExpansion wrote:I see Dan Rowden is still a ignorant prick...Guess some things never change.
Shahrazad wrote:Mind E,

What is it about Dan that you don't like? I find nothing wrong with him.
I can see how this misunderstanding occurred; tone does not always transmit well through the typed word. I believe that MindExpansion thinks that Dan basically just blew off his question and told him to answer it himself. I've had Dan spell out what he has meant often enough to believe that Dan did not blow off the question, but answered it in the way he would have answered any similar question about how to become more enlightened - to try to answer all of our own questions.
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

Yes, your absolutly correct Elizabeth, thankyou.

I knew that I would get teased for my poorly structured, gramatically incorrect question (ending really sucked).

Elizabeth I get the feeling that your a very intelligent, mature women, so is there anything else; Any other wisdom you can pass on to me, please and thanks.
All this will exercise the whole heart and brain.

Thank you for responding. Are there any specifics you can give me? What techniques/strategies/tips do you (and others) use for that intellectual edge. thanks sir
The best way to accomplish this is the Socratic method of critical thinking.
I'll search for it. Why is it the best and why is it that humans centuries ago had the best methods for achieving peak performance? -Have we not advanced since then. Our societies and Technology definitely have.
Start with easy math, like multiplication tables, to build up skills in concentration and focus. Read something everyday, starting with simple texts like Harry Potter, to build comprehension power and lengthen your attention span. These are tools you will need to test ideas, and to accurately observe yourself and the world around you.
Very funny:D For your information (more like fo yo infomAtion)
I'm taking grade 12 math and uni. Calculus next semester. I also read everyday (not harry potter- saw the movie 6 yrs ago, tho)
I read the newspaper...half the paper is usually useless (don't like reading politics or sports...don't understand I guess)
I'll give you some credit for that. Although if everyone had that same way of thinking, no one would have any friends.
I'd suggest reading up on the ancient Greeks (Thales to Aristotle), the rationalists (Descartes, Spinoza, Leibniz), the empiricists (Locke, Berkeley, Hume), and of course Kant, James, Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, and W. V. Quine.
thanks, I'll take a look at those. If the problems haven't changed then....? Science has definitely progressed. Seems to me, philosophers just exercise their thoughts without really acquiring anything but more Questions. Meanwhile Scientists do and cure....You must know what I mean.

Write, even if just to yourself, without regard to the views of anyone else. Use your own intuition.
Thats one of my problems Jamesh. I do write, but it's never good enough. There is always so much more to write, to answer, knowledge to uncover/learn. Some days I can think clearly, others are filled with mental fog. I'm not enjoying life anymore. It's more of a struggle, filled with voids that I can't seem to fill. Maybe if I gather more knowledge I'll be happy.
remain active and engaged in what you are learning.
Thanks katy. I have days maybe weeks were I will find many interests, but it never lasts. I either procrastinate or it won't interest me anymore, or I try to learn too much at once.

DAN MAN ROWDEN wrote: I recommend examining the content of your own questions..

I appreciate that as much as I appreciate a bum sitting beside me on the subway...
0. Dreams and desires
1. Faith in yourself and your ability to attain your dreams and desires
2. Curiosity and wonder
3. Imagination
4. Passion and drive
5. Hatred of ignorance and incorrectness
6. Love of learning, information, facts and knowledge
7. Doubt and skepticism (including towards yourself)
8. Desire for progress and growth
9. Self honesty and non-defensiveness
10. Analytical mindset towards the external and internal world
11. Creativity, inventiveness, playfulness and experimental attitude to things
12. Capable of thinking and acting outside the box
13. Never say die attitude: the ability to take the pain and fight the obstacles you may face whilst following the above, and still continue on.
Yes Jason, you got it. I want to develop an intensive 'how to become a genius' program that incorporates a high improvement of the points you listed and others.

Thanks to everyone. This is a personal question for all of you and I want you to answer it with as much detail as you like and please be honest.

If you had time, money, and three months to become as smart as possible - what would your schedule be like...I'm serious, try to invent a peak your intelligence boot camp type of program...

thanks
Elizabeth Isabelle

MindExpansion wrote:Why is it the best and why is it that humans centuries ago had the best methods for achieving peak performance? -Have we not advanced since then. Our societies and Technology definitely have.
Some things just can't get any more right. Technology can help us gather more information and help sort out what is true and what is false, but Socrates had the basic method figured out (basically to question everything and verify all "facts"). To an extent, society has made it easier to understand critical thinking. For example, many logical fallacies have been identified and specified - and put on various lists available throughout the internet.
Ignorant Carl G Arse

Post by Ignorant Carl G Arse »

READ-THINK-WRITE. Your potential should do the rest.

The question is too complicated to be specific.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

MindExpansion wrote:I see Dan Rowden is still a ignorant prick...Guess some things never change.
My suggestion was entirely serious. I suggest you think about it. I also suggest you learn what the "edit" button is for ;)

I have other suggestions, but they are not suitable for this time-slot....
ExpectantlyIronic

MindExpansion,
If the problems haven't changed then....? Science has definitely progressed. Seems to me, philosophers just exercise their thoughts without really acquiring anything but more Questions. Meanwhile Scientists do and cure....You must know what I mean.
Sure I do. Science has two things going for it. First off, it simply runs with the inductive method and doesn't question it. It's pragmatic by its very nature. Second off, any proper scientific claim needs to be tested. Science is nothing without empirical evidence. That said, science is a descendant of philosophy. Whenever a philosophical method or field of study seems too damn useful to leave in skeptical hands, it becomes its own field that pretends at immunity towards the fickle epistemological, logical, or ontological qualms of philosophers.

As far is progress is concerned, I'm quite convinced we've made some in most philosophical fields. Even if all we've learned is what approaches don't work. I think it was Derrida who said that philosophy seeks to end itself. If philosophers could accept that there was nothing to be learned by doing philosophy, then it would still stand to reason that folks would still think about matters, and unwittingly make the same mistakes as have been made in the past. It would be the job of the philosopher, in such a case, to act as a kind of therapist who shows people the path back to clarity. Or, as Wittgenstein put it: "to shew the fly the way out of the fly bottle." I don't think we need to adopt such a grim view at this point, as there do seem to be things that we can know and discover through philosophical thought alone, but even if that weren't so, philosophers would still be necessary.

If nothing else, I think we can say that philosophy is an interesting discussion concerning how we should go about discussing things.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

ExpectantlyIronic wrote:Carl: Seek those in real life who are more astute than you in the ways you wish to be, and learn from them. Learn by watching, then emulating, then being.

EI: You just suggested that people be poseurs.
No, I didn't. Emulation is not posing.
I didn't know that anyone in real life actually thought like that.
I didn't know anyone didn't.

What, you never watched someone do something, and then copied them? It's called learning from others.
I'm stunned. That's about the most wretched thing I can imagine. Since when does it help someones intellectual development to be a freaking poseur?

You're stunned because you jumped to the wrong conclusion, then had an emotional reaction based on your false definition, which clouded your reason.
It doesn't. I can't even argue against such a point, because I can't think of a single interpretation of it that might make sense.
Gather yourself and try. It is worthwhile to overcome this particular delusion.
Good Citizen Carl