CREATION

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
plotinus

CREATION

Post by plotinus »

Creation is the irruption of Reality into the sphere of our experience.

For millions of years the Earth was functioning like clockwork. It was a perfectly deterministic system. Then, one day, the asteroid which wiped out the dinosaurs struck. Everything was changed in an entirely unpredictable way.

It is true that in the larger realm of the Earth and the rest of the Solar System everything had proceeded in an entirely deterministic fashion, but in the isolated system of the Earth alone, Novelty had struck.

This is a metaphor for a larger truth: Metasystem determines system. Freedom, if it exists at all, comes from outside the system.

The real question is: do metasystems enclose systems without end, like an unending series of Chinese boxes; or do they somehow bend back and join, like a circle? Valid arguments can be made for both assertions.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ---Niels Bohr

There is a well-known metaphor for ultimate Reality among the Chinese. The Absolute is like the full moon shining in the sky. Wherever appropriate conditions arise, the moon will be reflected. In myriads of bodies of water, be they oceans, lakes or puddles, the moon will be reflected: clearly if the water is unruffled and pure, indistinctly in other cases.

There is a famous painting by Hakuin. It is the eleventh picture at this site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17288227@N00/

The monkey represents the mind. The mind tries to grasp the Truth, but in the act of grasping it disturbs the water, and the image loses integrity. There is an important truth here: our feeble monkey mind is too limited to grasp the Truth: the Truth cannot be known, but it can be manifested. The manifestation of the Absolute in the world, the mysterious presence of the One in the Many is the act of creation, and the source of as much freedom as we can achieve.

塞 翁 失 馬
Frontier geezer loses a horse
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

I don't understand, what do you mean by: "For millions of years the Earth was functioning like clockwork"...Isn't it functioning in the same way...

Q- Does a person ever learn, so much, that they become satisfied,
or does it just keep opening up doors that lead to more questions?
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

Maybe the closer we near the truth, the closer our distruction.

-The more we learn, the more dangers there seem to appear... (e.g.nuclear bombs...)

Or, maybe the truth is right at are fingertips, it's just we don't know how to handle it?

lol...I call that a picture of ignorance: We only think we see the truth...But once actually put under close scrutiny it breaks down

Interesting points though!
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

MindExpansion wrote:I call that a picture of ignorance: We only think we see the truth...But once actually put under close scrutiny it breaks down..
Breaks down to what? Are you speaking about contingent empirical models here or logical truths? What kind of scrutiny are you referring to?
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

Funny guy...You know what I mean and you cannot deny that there isn't some truth in what I write...I don't care to write in specifics, because if I did there would be too much to say and the questions would be endless...From the posts I read...It hardly seems like people comrehend what they write about (yes I know)...*deep breath*....Now to answer your Questions:

People have beliefs (Including myself) or Ideas, that break down or are reduced to lesser concepts, when examined carefully, by logical processes and discovered truths that are adopted and studied by 'professionals'...Hey I'm learning....What else did you write?

"contingent empirical models"= large backup plans based on theory?

and

"logical truths"- Write me...Explaining the diff./similarities between those two...They sound the same to me :D

What kind of scruitny? With what ever little intel...we have or I have...happy.

*I hope you didn't take my posts too seriously...They are just my opinions.

and if I can't dress my thoughts with eloquence, does that mean I'm wrong...Give me advice If you want to be helpful...something with more then a few line pls.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

The monkey represents the mind. The mind tries to grasp the Truth, but in the act of grasping it disturbs the water, and the image loses integrity. There is an important truth here: our feeble monkey mind is too limited to grasp the Truth: the Truth cannot be known, but it can be manifested.
Good...
The manifestation of the Absolute in the world, the mysterious presence of the One in the Many is the act of creation, and the source of as much freedom as we can achieve.
Bad...

Any clue why good changed to bad? If not, read your own words again, but pay attention to the distinction I made by separating the first bit from the second.

When we (correctly) state that reality cannot be conceptualized, we should not follow up with conceptual proclamations about reality. Kinda sinks the whole ship, ya know?
I live in a tub.
bert

Post by bert »

Unidian wrote:
The monkey represents the mind. The mind tries to grasp the Truth, but in the act of grasping it disturbs the water, and the image loses integrity. There is an important truth here: our feeble monkey mind is too limited to grasp the Truth: the Truth cannot be known, but it can be manifested.
Good...
The manifestation of the Absolute in the world, the mysterious presence of the One in the Many is the act of creation, and the source of as much freedom as we can achieve.
Bad...

When we (correctly) state that reality cannot be conceptualized, we should not follow up with conceptual proclamations about reality. Kinda sinks the whole ship, ya know?
Absolute manifests,and Truth walks the line.
but whatever you pretend holds a misplaced Truth,for it is inaccurately related time and place.
we know only as far that we can not know.
we are what we belief and what it implies by a process of time in the conception,thus creation is caused.so, no man has ever seen self at any time.how to find self when you have compelleth effort on the omniscience of what we already know?have you yourself seen that which caused the you causing?
we distort by force,by our will for an own soul.

Reality is illusion,Illusion is reality; the shadow misnaming the substance