the horned rabbit & the furry turtle

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Cory wrote,
What is a cloud? Imagine flying up close to it, to examine. I think you will find that the cloud is the very rain that merely appears to be an effect of the cloud. A cloud is the very water that rains down.

Who said that the rain is NOT the same water that the cloud is made up of? But nevertheless, cloud is cloud, water is water, and rain is rain. However, one is free to say floating water, water falling, or whatever.
A cloud is the very water that rains down.
Ah! I see. Is that what a cloud is? So would it make more sense if I said that 'water is the very water that warters down'?
The cause is the effect.
…and the effect is the cause of the next effect. Existence is dynamic, not stagnant; no change, no existence. Are you implying there is no change?
The division we are creating between the rain and the cloud, between cause and effect is ultimately unreal.
So all your experiences of Truth are ultimately based on something unreal? Good. With all the talk about C&A being ulimately unreal, it seems rather funny on your part to believe that "WE create the division"; do WE?
When the water falls back down to earth, ...
Do you mean rain?
...we are not correct to say that the cloud is causing that to happen.
No, it is not JUST the “cloud” causing it, I know, but nevertheless, it cannot RAIN without a cloud being around, as long as each word used is as defined.
---------
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

David wrote,
If every action had to have an actor attached to it, the world would become a very crowded place! Not only would shitting require a shitter, but the act of shit falling down in the sky would require a faller; the act of slowing down from air resistence would require a slower; the act of thumping into someone's head would require a thumper; the act of discomfit experienced by that person would require a discomfitter; the smell emanating from the thumped shit would need an emanator or a smeller; the act of tripping over from the shock would require a tripper .......

We would basically have to duplicate the entire world just to fit in all these extra agents.
This is turning out rather silly.

All that is necessary is AN experiencer, as defined, without which nothing would be logically known to exist. A reasoner is a thing capable of reasoning, for example, David.
---------
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory wrote,
C: What is a cloud? Imagine flying up close to it, to examine. I think you will find that the cloud is the very rain that merely appears to be an effect of the cloud. A cloud is the very water that rains down.

S: Who said that the rain is NOT the same water that the cloud is made up of?
Well, it’s not that I’m assuming you and others don’t know, I’m just saying some basic things in order to make sure everyone’s on the same page.
C: The cause is the effect.

S: and the effect is the cause of the next effect. Existence is dynamic, not stagnant; no change, no existence. Are you implying there is no change?
No, I’m not implying there is no change, transformations, etc. What I am implying is that there is no inherent cause that causes change. There is only an undivided whole in movement; that is without cause.
Cory: The division we are creating between the rain and the cloud, between cause and effect is ultimately unreal.

Sapius: So all your experiences of Truth are ultimately based on something unreal? Good. With all the talk about C&A being ulimately unreal, it seems rather funny on your part to believe that "WE create the division"; do WE?

No we don’t. It was a figure of speech. Some of us see, some of us don’t. It’s not as if there is free will.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Cory,
C: The cause is the effect.

S: and the effect is the cause of the next effect. Existence is dynamic, not stagnant; no change, no existence. Are you implying there is no change?

C: No, I’m not implying there is no change, transformations, etc. What I am implying is that there is no inherent cause that causes change.
What do you mean by ‘inherent cause’? A cause is necessarily dependant on and is the effect of a precious cause. Is that what you mean? If it is not the process of change which we realize as and call causality, then what is? How does a cause being non-inherent, change the fact that there is change? How does a thing said to be non-inherent, change it from being the thing that it is?
There is only an undivided whole in movement; that is without cause.
There cannot be AN undivided WHOLE as such. Totality cannot be thought in terms of any unit. There cannot be an “outside” to all that there is, hence the question itself does not even arise whether “it” has a cause or not. All that there is, is divided-ness, there can be no such thing as an undivided whole as far as Totality goes.
Cory: The division we are creating between the rain and the cloud, between cause and effect is ultimately unreal.

Sapius: So all your experiences of Truth are ultimately based on something unreal? Good. With all the talk about C&A being ulimately unreal, it seems rather funny on your part to believe that "WE create the division"; do WE?

Cory: No we don’t. It was a figure of speech. Some of us see, some of us don’t.
What?! (as in Sapius scratches head) You mean to say that all that talk about delusions and illusions are based on a figure of speech? The mind creating the division thing? I surely don’t see that “I” create anything at all, I simply experience that which is thrown at me, and react accordingly.
It’s not as if there is free will.
Why not? Let me try again. How do you account for say diversities, mutations, and so on, and how about saying ‘no’ to something, or NOT doing something? I can understand that that which happens is caused, but I also see that that which does not happen is also caused. For example, I choose NOT to smoke, although I could, so ‘I did not smoke’ also happened, and it was surely caused. I see “free-will” in the did-not’s rather than in the did’s.

Also for example, I am may be caused NOT to value un-truthfulness. If I am caused to value something, then I am also caused not to value something else, and in either case, although it is the “I” that is caused to do either, but nevertheless, there is choice being caused according to a particular “I”. And the more sentient the caused thing, the more freedom of caused choices.

I don’t particularly see causality rendering choice meaningless.
---------
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

C: No, I’m not implying there is no change, transformations, etc. What I am implying is that there is no inherent cause that causes change.

S: What do you mean by ‘inherent cause’? A cause is necessarily dependant on and is the effect of a precious cause. Is that what you mean? If it is not the process of change which we realize as and call causality, then what is? How does a cause being non-inherent, change the fact that there is change? How does a thing said to be non-inherent, change it from being the thing that it is?
The so called thing that it is IS all other things. I don’t have much more to say besides that, along with all that I’ve said to you on ‘the mystical geniuses’ thread.

Tell me Sapius, what do you think Kevin Solway means when he says:

To the men on the right, causality is most definitely not real?

Who knows, maybe he regrets writing it? Hey Solway, why don’t you swoop in here and use your super powers to help set this straight?

Before I came on this forum, I had this sense of how causality and things were illusionary. And since I find causality is such a great shibboleth on this forum, I thereby find myself moved to articulate that the great concept is illusionary.
C: There is only an undivided whole in movement; that is without cause.

S: There cannot be AN undivided WHOLE as such. Totality cannot be thought in terms of any unit.
Yes, that’s right, the moment you think about the totality as any sort of unit, you are off track.
There cannot be an “outside” to all that there is, hence the question itself does not even arise whether “it” has a cause or not. All that there is, is divided-ness, there can be no such thing as an undivided whole as far as Totality goes.
I personally don’t see any of this dividedness as being literal, although I understand perfectly well why someone would take it for granted.

Cory: No we don’t. It was a figure of speech. Some of us see, some of us don’t.

Sapius: What?! (as in Sapius scratches head) You mean to say that all that talk about delusions and illusions are based on a figure of speech? The mind creating the division thing? I surely don’t see that “I” create anything at all, I simply experience that which is thrown at me, and react accordingly.
There is the sense of dividedness, and there is the sense of there being only unity.

The sense of dividedness is a necessary illusion.
C: It’s not as if there is free will.

S: Why not? Let me try again. How do you account for say diversities, mutations, and so on
A very reasonable way to account for differentiation and change is indeed through causality. It’s not as if I don’t think in terms of causality in my daily life. However, our observation with the help of a concept like cause and effect only leaves us with a rough empirical estimation that cannot be taken as the absolute truth, for the truth, at least it seems to me, is that there are no things, but only a differentiated, yet undivided and fluxuating uncaused energy.
S: how do you account for saying ‘no’ to something, or NOT doing something?

The action of this entity named Cory is dictated by what appears best, and what appears to be best is not a choice.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Cory,
The so called thing that it is IS all other things.
May be poetically speaking, but in my opinion, a thing definitely owes its existence to all other things that it is not, but this dependency does not make a thing all other things. Things necessarily remain things for whatever causal conditions that causality will hold them up for.
I don’t have much more to say besides that, along with all that I’ve said to you on ‘the mystical geniuses’ thread.
Fair enough, no problems. I think we did end that discussion with pretty much ‘agree to disagree’. But hey, I may yet again question your conclusions if posted in an open forum as a logical truth. Hence I will still question the rest of your post, you are free not to respond though.
Tell me Sapius, what do you think Kevin Solway means when he says:

To the men on the right, causality is most definitely not real?
Sorry, I can’t, but if you gave me the context, I could try. However, he may be hinting at his certainty that all that we experience may well be a dream. Hence, absolutely everything experienced could not be real so to speak, then why leave out causality.
I personally don’t see any of this dividedness as being literal, although I understand perfectly well why someone would take it for granted.
What do you mean by ‘literal’? Not permanent? Or not really there? Considering the latter, thinking in terms of dividedness not being literal does not translate into all things being a lump of mashed potato, for Totality means literally infinite finite things, that do arise and fade away.
There is the sense of dividedness, and there is the sense of there being only unity.

And the sense of there being only unity is not? If dividedness is a necessary illusion, so be it, but then what does that say about all your knowledge that necessarily depends on that very dividedness; dividedness by which logic works. Are you saying that logic is illusion?
The action of this entity named Cory is dictated by what appears best,...
Sure, and that applies to all. Evolution depends on it - selection.
...and what appears to be best is not a choice.
Not a choice if you cannot logically see what has been rejected. One is not only caused to react in a certain way that appears best, but is also caused to reject that which does not appear to be best. Are we not caused to reject?
---------
Tim

Post by Tim »

Cory Duchesne wrote:Who knows, maybe he regrets writing it? Hey Solway, why don’t you swoop in here and use your super powers to help set this straight?
"Mommy! Save me!" Part 1

and part 2 here
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory: The so called thing that it is IS all other things.

Sapius: May be poetically speaking, but in my opinion, a thing definitely owes its existence to all other things that it is not, but this dependency does not make a thing all other things. Things necessarily remain things for whatever causal conditions that causality will hold them up for.
Alright, so be it then. I don’t think the consequences of you believing this are too dire, in fact, it’s a very reasonable position, that I agree with, but from another perspective, I don’t.
Cory: I personally don’t see any of this dividedness as being literal, although I understand perfectly well why someone would take it for granted.

Sapius: What do you mean by ‘literal’? Not permanent? Or not really there?
Not really there.
Considering the latter, thinking in terms of dividedness not being literal does not translate into all things being a lump of mashed potato, for Totality means literally infinite finite things, that do arise and fade away.
These finite things are one whole unity.
Cory: There is the sense of dividedness, and there is the sense of there being only unity.

Sapius: And the sense of there being only unity is not? If dividedness is a necessary illusion, so be it, but then what does that say about all your knowledge that necessarily depends on that very dividedness; dividedness by which logic works. Are you saying that logic is illusion?
What you are referring to is what I consider knowledge gained from empirical observation: which is uncertain. A useful guess. That is what science is. And science is by no means unnecessary, it's just not absolute.
Cory: The action of this entity named Cory is dictated by what appears best,...

Sapius: Sure, and that applies to all. Evolution depends on it - selection.
I don’t quite see you’re point. Are you saying evolution depends on free will?
Cory: and what appears to be best is not a choice.

Sapius: Not a choice if you cannot logically see what has been rejected. One is not only caused to react in a certain way that appears best, but is also caused to reject that which does not appear to be best.
There’s no difference. To do one is to do the other simultaneously.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Cory,
I don’t think the consequences of you believing this are too dire, in fact, it’s a very reasonable position, that I agree with, but from another perspective, I don’t.
Another perspective would be another story all together. The very same things seen from a different perspective, have no permanent boundaries at all, (not that there are no boundaries at all), every-thing is always in a perpetual flux due to casuality which is dynamic. Only totality could be said to have no boundaries, (I am not talking as in space), for that is not a thing, and the moment a thing comes into the picture, it necessarily has a boundary by definition. For example a thought.
Cory: I personally don’t see any of this dividedness as being literal, although I understand perfectly well why someone would take it for granted.

Sapius: What do you mean by ‘literal’? Not permanent? Or not really there?

Cory: Not really there.
OK, I guess then, - [oiqrj;avauUDVnarusvrvmkr-vn; - this makes sense to you.

Without boundaries, logic has no legs to stand on. Every definition is a boundary.
What you are referring to is what I consider knowledge gained from empirical observation: which is uncertain. A useful guess. That is what science is. And science is by no means unnecessary, it's just not absolute.
No, not empirical. Our logic itself couldn’t work without definable boundaries. You have no way to think ‘there are no boundaries’ without the meaningful boundaries of each of those words in that sentence, hence, that is a contradiction as a sentence. Every meaningful word you think has a boundary. Every thought that arises necessarily has a boundary otherwise it would not be A thought then.
I don’t quite see you’re point. Are you saying evolution depends on free will?
Do you believe there is free-will?

Sapius: Not a choice if you cannot logically see what has been rejected. One is not only caused to react in a certain way that appears best, but is also caused to reject that which does not appear to be best.

Cory: There’s no difference. To do one is to do the other simultaneously.
May be I was not clear enough… If you do one thing, then simultaneously you do not do infinite other things, and that is not the point. The point is that you DO NOT particularly DO a particular thing, which obviously you could. For whatever reasons, I am caused not to smoke, but I am caused – not to.
---------
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory,
Cory: I don’t think the consequences of you believing this are too dire, in fact, it’s a very reasonable position, that I agree with, but from another perspective, I don’t.

Sapius: Another perspective would be another story all together. The very same things seen from a different perspective, have no permanent boundaries at all, (not that there are no boundaries at all)
However, examine anything in this world closely enough and it is revealed to have no definite beginning or end. Yes, our thought, our concepts are what create these divisions, but if you examine even the physiological processes generating thought closely enough, what once seemed distinct from afar, merges. It’s the same if you step back far enough. To end the illusion of boundaries, one must either step back or step in. By staying in the middle, we have only the sense of that which is actually boundaryless, to be divided up in boundaries.
Only totality could be said to have no boundaries, (I am not talking as in space), for that is not a thing, and the moment a thing comes into the picture, it necessarily has a boundary by definition. For example a thought.
Yes, but Huang Po, Lau Tzu and myself would tell you that it is these thoughts (which even in themselves are ultimately boundaryless) that are creating boundaries, and that these thoughts at one point need to be put aside so you can see the actual. Or perhaps, by seeing the actual first, the thoughts are simply seen for what they are.
Cory: I personally don’t see any of this dividedness as being literal, although I understand perfectly well why someone would take it for granted. Sapius: What do you mean by ‘literal’? Not permanent? Or not really there? Cory: Not really there.

Sapius: OK, I guess then, - [oiqrj;avauUDVnarusvrvmkr-vn; - this makes sense to you.

Without boundaries, logic has no legs to stand on. Every definition is a boundary.
Yes, and logic, definitions, concepts……these things need eventually to be put aside. They are a necessary ladder to climb from our animal nature, but like scaffolding, they must be taken down and put away after the job is done.
Cory: What you are referring to is what I consider knowledge gained from empirical observation: which is uncertain. A useful guess. That is what science is. And science is by no means unnecessary, it's just not absolute.

Sapius: No, not empirical. Our logic itself couldn’t work without definable boundaries.
Ok, I totally agree thre. I’m not saying logic is not necessary, it most certainly is, but eventually it needs to be put away.
Sapius: You have no way to think ‘there are no boundaries’ without the meaningful boundaries of each of those words in that sentence, hence, that is a contradiction as a sentence. I don’t think: I see. Every meaningful word you think has a boundary. Every thought that arises necessarily has a boundary otherwise it would not be a thought then.
You are too caught up, tangled in words, concepts, definitions, thought. Thought is a tool that cannot capture the actual, it can only point. You seem to think thought is the actual.
C: I don’t quite see you’re point. Are you saying evolution depends on free will?

S: Do you believe there is free-will?
I don’t believe there is actual free will, but it’s obvious that we each have the sensation of free-will.

Cory: There’s no difference. To do one is to do the other simultaneously.

Sapius: May be I was not clear enough… If you do one thing, then simultaneously you do not do infinite other things, and that is not the point. The point is that you DO NOT particularly DO a particular thing, which obviously you could. For whatever reasons, I am caused not to smoke, but I am caused – not to.
I think I understood you correctly the first time, and thus I still think that I replied correctly the first time. If you do one thing, then simultaneously you do not do the particular thing you could have done (along with infinite other so called particular things).

By doing what seems better, you simultaneously fail to do the alternative, which seemed worse. Doing and not doing are one.

In some instances, one’s so called decisions can be totally arbitrary, meaning, between 2 actions, neither seemed better than the other. In that case, it’s like a flip of the coin.

One side and one action is determined to be, and the other, to not.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Cory wrote,
However, examine anything in this world closely enough and it is revealed to have no definite beginning or end.
In my opinion, every-thing has a beginning and an end, which begins and ends with its definition, other than that, one can claim anything at all. It will simply be a poetic expression. Things transform from one thing to another, but forms are definable; even if we say hazy, that is a definable form too.
Yes, our thought, our concepts are what create these divisions,…
Why do you bring up a figure of speech again? Is that what you want me to go by? Could you please stay consistent? It can either be that we create these divisions, or we don’t. Are you saying that it is both ways? The question is, do we really create these divisions, or as a conscious thing, are made aware of these divisions through and because of causal relationships?
...but if you examine even the physiological processes generating thought closely enough, what once seemed distinct from afar, merges. It’s the same if you step back far enough. To end the illusion of boundaries, one must either step back or step in. By staying in the middle, we have only the sense of that which is actually boundaryless, to be divided up in boundaries.
To tell you the truth, I am quite confused with the above as a whole. What are you trying to say? Can you give an example?
Yes, but Huang Po, Lau Tzu and myself would tell you that it is these thoughts (which even in themselves are ultimately boundaryless) that are creating boundaries,
Please do not bring in authorities, for there are a thousand ways to interpret what the people of the old have said. Are we not capable enough to think for ourselves?
and that these thoughts at one point need to be put aside so you can see the actual. Or perhaps, by seeing the actual first, the thoughts are simply seen for what they are.
I don't think so. Thoughts cannot be put aside; even in the most tranquil of a state, the sense of “I” remains. However, one can step back and think about thoughts, and that would mean seeing them for what they are; or is there another type of “seeing” that a conscious thing could use for “seeing”? Further more, there can be nothing more actual than what lies within the scope of our consciousness.
Yes, and logic, definitions, concepts……these things need eventually to be put aside. They are a necessary ladder to climb from our animal nature, but like scaffolding, they must be taken down and put away after the job is done.
Sorry… logic, definitions, concepts cannot be put aside, for the very foundation of your consciousness is the concept of “I” to begin with, which is permanent as long as you remain conscious. Saying that “I” have no beginning or end, does not lessen you “I-ness” for a moment, saying that there are no boundaries, does not make you experience, even as a though, a single boundary-less moment. Surely forms are merely forms, but nevertheless, they are forms indeed, as defined.
Ok, I totally agree thre. I’m not saying logic is not necessary, it most certainly is, but eventually it needs to be put away.
Cory, what you are essentially saying is put away consciousness. Is that possible? You tell me to observe from close and afar, but let’s take a look in our back yard; a month old baby is aware of the “I” without verbally conceptualizing it, otherwise it could not interact with all that that it is not. So A=A is imbedded in the minimal of consciousness, that is, differentiation through perceptual identity of forms, which is saying that logic is imbedded in nature. (I am not talking about formal logical systems here, even those I would say are more like ‘reasoning systems’, not logical per say)
You are too caught up, tangled in words, concepts, definitions, thought.
No, not at all; they are merely just that, but we have no other tool to “see” truth.
Thought is a tool that cannot capture the actual, it can only point. You seem to think thought is the actual.
Thought is surely a tool, and it can capture conceptual truths, but I really don’t know what “actual” you are talking about? The only thing “actual” I could consider is, the realization that the tool provides, which again is a thought, and merely just that; and one need not be emotionally attached to even that.
I don’t believe there is actual free will, but it’s obvious that we each have the sensation of free-will.
I really don’t want to go into ‘free-will’ for now, but tell me, what isn’t a sensation so to speak? Isn’t reasoning a sensation itself?
One side and one action is determined to be, and the other, to not.
But I believe, (not as in blind faith though), that it is determined in the Now, not pre-determined going back infinitely as a single causal chain. Causality is far too complex in every which direction, and every when, and its infinite nature nullifies every which direction, and every which when, making the Now the only living moment.

Call it speculation, but I consider what I am about say, as thinking.

I think the basic problem may be that somehow we take causality for a thing, say sub-consciously; just as most cannot really comprehend Totality, or Infinity. May be one thinks of causality like a huge big crankshaft churning every thing around; hidden away beneath the layers of what we call forms. Thereby considering causality something separate than forms, but it is actually forms that affect forms, and we define that transformation as causality.

As far as I can see, causality is no more than a process sensed through our capabilities of detecting motion and transformation, and thereby defining it. Whereas, it can also be seen from the perspective that every form itself has the capability of effecting and being affected by other forms, due to the dynamic state that energy is always in, and forms are not only different forms of energy, but are energy itself.

Now, since our sense of direction, in time, dictates this ‘what comes first’ thought, so it is natural to begin with ‘cause’, as in saying ‘cause and effect, (and never ‘effect and cause’), that transforms into an ‘effect’, and is now considered the next cause, but there is no ‘first cause’ to begin with, then why not say that forms affect other forms to bring forth the next? All that is there is effects affecting multitude of interrelated, but not necessarily directly connected, effects. This would be more conforming to the concept of infinity and the no beginning. Let’s say that we call the process ‘effectuality’ rather than ‘causality’. And come to think of it, the word ‘caused’ necessarily evokes a sense of questioning, as in - what is the purpose? And since there is no inherent purpose for any particular cause, why call it so. Please keep in mind that I’m not saying that there is no process at all, only that this perspective seems more reasonable in the face that there is really no beginning at all, and that there is no point in totality that could be considered a center.

Hence, it could stand to reason, that due to the infinitely diverse reach that ‘effectuality’ has, there is a higher chance of mutation and further diversification, with a much higher chance of creating a highly complex thing, because all forms are not necessarily directly connected, although interrelated. This also explains how and why new and different things come to be that never were. Now, the more complex a thing created, the more can it operate in a calculative manner under the same principal of ‘effectuality’, but now it can do that internally through absorbing and reasoning, and affect other things as an individual, because although it is interrelated to the rest of the things, it is not necessarily directly connected.

Well… that’s all for now… just an attempt to describe something that may reasonably conform to our experiences, logically.
---------
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Sapius,
Cory: However, examine anything in this world closely enough and it is revealed to have no definite beginning or end.

Sapius: In my opinion, every-thing has a beginning and an end, which begins and ends with its definition, other than that, one can’t claim anything at all. It will simply be a poetic expression. Things transform from one thing to another, but forms are definable; even if we say hazy, that is a definable form too.
What is the source of a definition?

Generally, after one imports, constructs and gets comfortable in one’s definitions, notions, and beliefs, one often goes on to live in ignorance of the source from where one’s notions sprang. Some graduate from the cocoon of conceptual learning, and upon awakening, return home, yet recognizing home, as home for the first time.
C: Yes, our thought, our concepts are what create these divisions,…

S: Why do you bring up a figure of speech again? Is that what you want me to go by? Could you please stay consistent? It can either be that we create these divisions, or we don’t.

The fact is that on the right there is the sense of division, and on the left there is the sense of unity. What is the factor that allows us to see all as one, undivided, whole? And what is the factor that fragments and divides? Raw, thoughtless, un-rational contact with reality is where we begin. Then we develop thought-consciousness. Then there must be a third stage, where we return home, recognizing it clearly for the first time.
S: The question is, do we really create these divisions, or as a conscious thing, are we made aware of these divisions through and because of causal relationships?
Primitive life-forms, animals I think do begin as agents who see only in division and fragmentation, but they seemingly do so without wonder or perplexity. Is this what you mean?

Cory: but if you examine even the physiological processes generating thought closely enough, what once seemed distinct from afar, merges. It’s the same if you step back far enough. To end the illusion of boundaries, one must either step back or step in. By staying in the middle, we have only the sense of that which is actually boundaryless, to be divided up in boundaries.

Sapius: To tell you the truth, I am quite confused with the above as a whole. What are you trying to say? Can you give an example?
The plant may appear distinct. But study it microscopically and you will discover that the plant is minerals, ions, sunlight, water, gases, etc.

What is giving the plant its distinctness? It’s composition. What is its composition? The plants composition is all of the things which, from a distance, appear to be distinct counterparts.

Now in the next example I will do the opposite of the first example and begin examining something up close and then proceed to zoom out.

Let us take War.

War appears to be a distinct phenomena, its very own thing. However, if you zoom out, and capture both a longer span of time and a longer region, you will see that war is an integral part of the seemingly separate phenomena of peace. They are one whole.
C: Thought is a tool that cannot capture the actual, it can only point. You seem to think thought is the actual.

S: Thought is surely a tool, and it can capture conceptual truths
Ah, but you are separating thought from ‘conceptual truths’. They are one.

Thought can ‘apprehend’ the indivisibility and oneness of phenomena, which are not thought. It’s wise to make the distinction between thought and phenomena.
C: I don’t believe there is actual free will, but it’s obvious that we each have the sensation of free-will.

S: I really don’t want to go into ‘free-will’ for now, but tell me, what isn’t a sensation so to speak? Isn’t reasoning a sensation itself?
Yes, it would appear so, a very subtle one.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Generally, after one imports, constructs and gets comfortable in one’s definitions, notions, and beliefs, one often goes on to live in ignorance of the source from where one’s notions sprang.

Actually such is the nature of all knowledge. Knowledge without added emotional appeals, such as the emotion of novelty and groking, or if the knowledge is not usable in some ego benefit -then it it is almost of no import.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Cory wrote,
What is the source of a definition?
Complex enough human consciousness.
Generally, after one imports, constructs and gets comfortable in one’s definitions, notions, and beliefs, one often goes on to live in ignorance of the source from where one’s notions sprang. Some graduate from the cocoon of conceptual learning, and upon awakening, return home, yet recognizing home, as home for the first time.
Well, one may graduate from that cocoon, only in the sense to a realization that it was not a cocoon to begin with, for that cocoon is consciousness itself.

OK, so once graduating from the conceptual leaning, you have returned home ‘awakened’, and yet use concept of a home, but you see it from a different perspective. I have always maintained that in such cases, only the perspective changes, nothing else, so I don’t see anywhere or at any time that one can or should consider conceptualization irrelevant or unimportant, and that is my point.
The fact is that on the right there is the sense of division, and on the left there is the sense of unity. What is the factor that allows us to see all as one, undivided, whole?
Conceptualized perspective.
And what is the factor that fragments and divides?
That’s called existence. The dividedness without which nothing can possibly be known.
Raw, thoughtless, un-rational contact with reality is where we begin. Then we develop thought-consciousness. Then there must be a third stage, where we return home, recognizing it clearly for the first time.
This kind of thinking itself is irrational to begin with; that we begin with being in contact WITH reality, where one is unknowingly assuming that reality is some-thing other than things, or dividedness. May be you think the Void or Emptiness is reality. What exactly is reality to you? Personally, I don’t see any thing at all that is not reality; hence the word ‘reality’ actually means little to me in such contexts.
S: The question is, do we really create these divisions, or as a conscious thing, are we made aware of these divisions through and because of causal relationships?

C: Primitive life-forms, animals I think do begin as agents who see only in division and fragmentation, but they seemingly do so without wonder or perplexity. Is this what you mean?
Well, could be, however, are we not animals that are indeed capable of being perplexed and wondering? So what does our capability of the kind of consciousness that we have do? Does it first create divisions and define without ever perceiving any divisions, or does it first perceive divisions and then name them? (As in define them) In fact, without dividedness, there would be no consciousness at all.
The plant may appear distinct. But study it microscopically and you will discover that the plant is minerals, ions, sunlight, water, gases, etc.

What is giving the plant its distinctness? It’s composition. What is its composition? The plants composition is all of the things which, from a distance, appear to be distinct counterparts.

Now in the next example I will do the opposite of the first example and begin examining something up close and then proceed to zoom out.
Isn’t that a matter of an observer’s perceptively relative location?

Once a thing comes into your awareness, it exists by definition. Then you have logic and reasoning to help you deduce your experiences and reach logical conclusions. In such cases things come into focus and disappear according to the perspective of the observer. My empirical perception of things is limited to the relative position my senses are, and even to the deepest depths, say atomic or even beyond, there has to necessarily be a you, and something else to make a perceptual and conscious sense, hence you are aware only when THINGS exist as things, irrelevant of your perceptual position. Now try removing the microscope and look again, I think the plant should magically return.

The structure of things is irrelevant when talking about consciousness, for that which one is aware of as and when, is what it is, as and when. That does not mean that a plant has ceased to exist when scrutinizing it microscopically, nor does it mean the it exists only in that form, but due to the capability of human intelligence, we can perceive it as a plant, and its atomic structure, but at any instance, there has to necessarily be two if any consciousness is to happen, and that is the point, dividedness.

On the other hand, are you saying that somehow our limitations of perceptions are responsible for creating and destroying things? Or that once your perceptual stance changes, things that you were empirically aware of cease to exist?
C: Thought is a tool that cannot capture the actual, it can only point. You seem to think thought is the actual.

S: Thought is surely a tool, and it can capture conceptual truths

C: Ah, but you are separating thought from ‘conceptual truths’. They are one.
It is not fair on your part to go “Ah!” without mentioning or may be even reading the rest of it. For you did not tell me what you meant by "actual".

This is what I said…
Thought is surely a tool, and it can capture conceptual truths, but I really don’t know what “actual” you are talking about? The only thing “actual” I could consider is, the realization that the tool provides, which again is a thought, and merely just that; and one need not be emotionally attached to even that.
---------
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Sapius,

I've recently thought in a new way, in a way i never have before, one that makes my most recent postings to you seem as if they arent really worth defending at this point. Not that they are neccesarily dead wrong, but I think I need to put some time to working things out more clearly, rather just riff on intuition, with an addiction to writing my way into opposition with who ever i'm dealing with.

I've grown weary of my ways, and perhaps this is Good. I owe much of this change to allowing myself to actually read what you were saying, not only you but there were somethings David said to Hades, and also somethings simon was getting at that splashed a bit of water on my face.

Whatever the truth of emptiness is, I feel that I come close to describing it, and having an insight into it, 'despite' that I myself am really not that inwardly clear about the understanding that is neccesary 'prior' to realization of emptiness.

I feel my understanding of cause and effect, absolute truths, deductive/inductive reasoning all need some further clarification, though they have recently been much enhanced - enough so to confess this much.

I'll be taking a break for awhile, as I feel its time to re-think some things.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Cory;
I'll be taking a break for awhile, as I feel its time to re-think some things.
Please, by all means. I too will be traveling for two weeks in a day or two. Until then, I will enjoy the other hot thread.

Perhaps, you are nearing the end of the line, which is good. And how else do you thing one reaches the end of the line other than working it out for himself.

One is essentially all alone. Reflecting in solitude is essential, and it is all for you. I wish you all the best.
---------