^

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
lou

Post by lou »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote: Hrmph. A dog is semi-aware. A skier going down the mountain based on instinct and impulse is semi-aware. A buddha is aware. I'm more fascinated with awareness.
mate, awareness is sanity... awareness is what makes sense, it is unconfusing... semi-awareness is weird as hell.. far more the conversation piece... you are more interested in awareness because you are not aware... you are holding a torch to it like it needs you to...

awareness has nothing to do with sitting in a chair and thinking rather than going for a ski, it is before this... it is before self... it is no more with the philosopher in his chair than with the skiiier on the mountain.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

lou,
Sorry I thought your 'awareness' meant 'consciousness'. I was mistaken. It is obvious you are not talking about the same thing I'm talking about.
you are more interested in awareness because you are not aware
That's a pretty bold claim, but since I can't say what it is you are talking about, I'll let you have it. I'm not sure yet that I want to be aware in whatever esoteric sense you are using it.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Hi lou,

lou wrote:I am not sure what to do at any time because I don’t understand what is going on...
Rather a lie, isn't it?

You obviously don't believe this, because you definitely decided what to do, in posting to the Genius Forum.

And you also believe you do understand "what's going on". Otherwise you wouldn't have written this:
I have tried to point it out to people but it is strange because it is so obvious that communicating it seems almost impossible, like trying to point to air... and even if I do manage to have someone register the blazingly present mystery of their predicament"

Why not just give your understanding of what seems so obvious to you?

Then you wouldn't have to criticise people for not understanding it. Or perhaps you enjoy doing this.......

Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

And why is it that a philosopher cannot ski?

What does awareness have to do with the choice of physical activity?

Why is awareness "sanity?" That would seem to make all non-human animals insane, which is funny (and one of the most brazenly arrogant, homocentric notions I've yet come across) since they have a knack for survival that us sane types can't seem to duplicate without messing things up badly, stupidly...

Maybe this sanity isn't what it used to be. Or maybe it's actually insanity.
Last edited by Nordicvs on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lou

Post by lou »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Sorry I thought your 'awareness' meant 'consciousness'. I was mistaken. It is obvious you are not talking about the same thing I'm talking about.
yeah, i dont think you understand what i am pointing to. you are talking from within complexity, you cant see past the badge you are wearing
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:I'm not sure yet that I want to be aware in whatever esoteric sense you are using it.
ok
Kelly Jones wrote:Rather a lie, isn't it?
You obviously don't believe this, because you definitely decided what to do, in posting to the Genius Forum.
and when i got up this morning, i got dressed.
no options but unable to avoid taking an option.
nowhere to go but feet will move regardless.
to deliberately do nothing, this is also to do.
to be is to do. gotta point your feet somewhere

hey i bet you struggle comprehending non-action.
things only seem like they see-saw because you are sitting between them.

"i am not sure what to do at any time because i dont know what is going on"... this is not me saying 'help'... this is describing something i am comfortable with.
Kelly Jones wrote:Why not just give your understanding of what seems so obvious to you?
this is not about understanding, there is nothing to understand in order to be aware, understanding is what gets in the way... there is nothing to 'give' to someone that would help them.. else i imagine it would have been preached a long time ago and everyone would be self-realized by now... 'pointing it out', or whatever i said, this is not passing on an understanding, it is spontaneous attempts to have someone ignore the understandings they already have, and then look into the world with their own eyes. it is a shedding, not a gaining.. and it is different every time, because it is not rigid like an understanding that is either right or wrong, understood or not... and it's practice is paradoxically self-conflicting, it swallows itself in the last gulp

like i said, awareness requires no philosophical muscle (this scares loads of 'seekers', often because they have used the fact that they are more philosophically capable than your average joe to set up a space in themselves to comfortably and righteously hate the world from... and to be told, divinity is open and available to all, the smart and the stupid, the philosopher and the worldy man, whoever chooses to look.. this sickens them, they want it to be theirs... it is a horrible ego thing, it is a response to being angry with the world, desiring power and the like.. and ironically, more often than not i reckon, it would be the very thing stopping them from being aware and naked in the moment)

kelly, you could have said the above quote to any buddha our history remembers... and perhaps they would have smiled and turned to the next person's question

it seems to me that awareness is not understanding, is not knowledge. it seems awareness comes before understanding and knowledge.
Kelly Jones wrote:Then you wouldn't have to criticise people for not understanding it. Or perhaps you enjoy doing this.......
i havent criticised anybody,
if you are referring to my telling trevor that he wasnt aware because he found awareness more interesting than delusion... well, perhaps you heard criticism because you didnt comprehend the reason i suggested this, and you regard 'not being aware' as a 'bad thing'. it is not criticism, is just commentary of observation, which is either right or wrong or both or neither.. you hear fighty cause you have fighty brains.

i am not saying, look at the morons, why dont they get it, aren't the awake so much better than those ignorant devils..

i am saying, wow, i dont get how it all just doesnt fall over... that last little jump from semi-awareness into self-awareness must be deceptively chasmic, to hold out against the unrelenting thereness of existence and it's mysteriousness, this unavoidable koan of being awake and knowing it.
lou

Post by lou »

Nordicvs wrote:What does awareness have to do with the choice of physical activity?
um, nothing, this is what i am saying also
Nordicvs wrote:Why is awareness "sanity?" That would seem to make all non-human animals insane, which is funny since they have a knack for survival that us sane types can't seem to duplicate without messing things up badly, stupidly...
Maybe this sanity isn't what it used to be.
awareness is attention, attention is sanity.

if i were to say that there was little difference between a buddha sitting on a zafu somewhere and a feral cat wandering around unfamiliar territory, i wonder if anyone here would get my gist.
lou

Post by lou »

Nordicvs wrote:That would seem to make all non-human animals insane, which is funny (and one of the most brazenly arrogant, homocentric notions I've yet come across)
calm down lady, i reckon non-human animals are far less insane than human animals, which are for the most part, absolutely and completely ragingly mental in the head, cause they want and want like it is the only energy in them.
kennyvii

Why isn't awareness sanity?

Post by kennyvii »

Nordicvs wrote:
Why is awareness "sanity?" That would seem to make all non-human animals insane, which is funny (and one of the most brazenly arrogant, homocentric notions I've yet come across) since they have a knack for survival that us sane types can't seem to duplicate without messing things up badly, stupidly...
I have owned a number of dogs in my life; all very different in temperment and in breed but all of them have exibbited a similar type "crazy" behavior. They each seem to think they can bury things on the floor with air. Obviously, in thier imagination they are nosing dirt over their prize but there is no dirt on the floor so they just go through the motion of pushing invisible "dirt" over the object and finnish by packing the "dirt" over the object with their nose. If a man did this he would be seen as at the least eccentric but for a dog this behavior is merely cute. Isn't this double standard because dogs are expected to be less aware than people? Doesn't this make a "normal" dog more crazy than a normal person also?

And when chances of survival are estimated shouldn't you nearly always bet on the man?
Last edited by kennyvii on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

lou wrote: um, nothing, this is what i am saying also
Ah, okay.
lou wrote: awareness is attention, attention is sanity.
I disagree: I think awareness is awareness, attention is attention, and sanity is sanity.
lou wrote: if i were to say that there was little difference between a buddha sitting on a zafu somewhere and a feral cat wandering around unfamiliar territory, i wonder if anyone here would get my gist.
I wouldn't, because there's a huge difference: most notably, one's human and one's a natural creature.
lou wrote: calm down lady, i reckon non-human animals are far less insane than human animals, which are for the most part, absolutely and completely ragingly mental in the head, cause they want and want like it is the only energy in them.
I'm calm.

I fully agree with that---"want like it is the only energy in them." Life for an average person is a series of ego-feeding, thrill-fun-pleasure-seeking activities, all leaving them empty afterwards, set for the next fix.
lou

Re: Why isn't awareness sanity?

Post by lou »

kennyvii wrote:If a man did this he would be seen as at the least eccentric but for a dog this behavior is merely cute. Isn't this double standard because dogs are expected to be less aware than people? Doesn't this make a "normal" dog more crazy than a normal person also?
craziness is just lying to yourself.

i reckon that thoughts are part of the body, and the body knows only routine. 'burying stuff'... this exists in the mind of the dog as a map of action.

i see nothing in what you wrote that suggests your dogs are not aware of the fact that there is no dirt... i reckon it would be more crazy and human-like to not allow the body to go through it's motions, if it wanted to... the dog couldnt care less about it.. it has no want to appear not crazy, has no want to refine its actions to only the very necessary.. so it just is, just does what it is doing, until it has reason to do something else. i reckon that for the dog, it is often the path of least resistance to just allow the body to do it's thing, play out it's map of action, regardless of whether or not it is entirely applicable to the situation... and it probably feels really nice to do it
kennyvii

Post by kennyvii »

craziness is just lying to yourself.
"craziness" may come as the result of lying to yourself or of being unwilling to face up to reality but the act of craziness is simple delusion, such as you can observe in dogs.
i reckon that for the dog, it is often the path of least resistance to just allow the body to do it's thing, play out it's map of action, regardless of whether or not it is entirely applicable to the situation... and it probably feels really nice to do it
Yah? Ok, I tried it and what made the act "feel good" was the illusion that my prize was now protected from others.
lou

Post by lou »

kennyvii wrote:"craziness" may come as the result of lying to yourself or of being unwilling to face up to reality but the act of craziness is simple delusion, such as you can observe in dogs.
'simple delusion', wtf is that?
thinking the world is one way but it actually being another?
the world is no way. there is no 'actual' way the world is, the observer only ever sees himself. every angle is just an angle.

crazy is telling yourself lies mate. thats what crazy is.
kennyvii wrote:Yah? Ok, I tried it and what made the act "feel good" was the illusion that my prize was now protected from others.
oh bullshit.

if you actually did that, you did it as you, and felt whatever you felt because of who you are... your statement about it is a reflection of you, not of the action, ya fucken donkey head
lou

Post by lou »

Nordicvs wrote:I think awareness is awareness, attention is attention, and sanity is sanity.
yes very good, grasshopper.
nevertheless, i say that awareness is attention.
Nordicvs wrote: I wouldn't, because there's a huge difference: most notably, one's human and one's a natural creature.
sailed over your head there i think... maybe you want to try reading it again without trying to be clever or thinking about how to argumentatively respond

hey when were humans decategorized from being natural creatures??
kennyvii

Post by kennyvii »

crazy is telling yourself lies mate. thats what crazy is.
I like the idea that crazy people are just liers. It would make life a lot simpler. 'Crazy" being a manifestation of self-deception is probably closer to the truth, though.
oh bullshit.

if you actually did that, you did it as you, and felt whatever you felt because of who you are... your statement about it is a reflection of you, not of the action, ya fucken donkey head
By the way, I confered with my dog as well and this is also the way she felt.
Last edited by kennyvii on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

lou,
yeah, i dont think you understand what i am pointing to. you are talking from within complexity, you cant see past the badge you are wearing
You have been making a lot of suppositions about the people you are talking to -- and have no evidence to support these suppositions. Please be careful in the future, since you have no strong basis for this claim.

The real reason that I can't see what you are pointing to is because you have not clearly explained what it is that you are pointing to. You might be pointing to something I don't see and are just really bad at pointing, but I find it much more likely you are pointing to something far less significant than you think it is. Your confidence in your own superiority made me charitable, at first. Now I believe you are only deluded.

You yourself have said that awareness is almost identical to 'attention', rather than to 'consciousness'. In that case, it has a secondary role in thinking logically, recognizing the ego for what it is, dismantling delusions, and seeing Reality.

Attention is only important if it is long-term and applied consciously and wisely toward understanding Truth and the nature of Reality.

Now, if this seems like I'm talking "from within complexity", then it is you do not have a clear comprehension of what Reality is. I am saying very simple things, and I am not hiding behind any badge to do so. (The word "philosopher" has been descriptive; I could easily use "thinker" if the former sounds too intimidating to you.)
lou

Post by lou »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:You have been making a lot of suppositions about the people you are talking to -- and have no evidence to support these suppositions etc etc
haha
you got cross.
you are fast asleep mate.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:The real reason that I can't see what you are pointing to is because you have not clearly explained what it is that you are pointing to.
no man, you just cant see what i am pointing to because you are too asleep.

"not clearly explained what it is"... 'clearly', this just means, "in a way i can understand"...
you just dont see it mate, it is unsuprising, hardly anybody does, it's fucking incredible... this was the point of my post

anyways you are too fighty with me now to want to see it, so you just wont... cause feeling right is more important to you than the Dharma
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:You might be pointing to something I don't see and are just really bad at pointing, but I find it much more likely you are pointing to something far less significant than you think it is.
i reckon you are cranky cause you are swimming in sleep still and i upset your wantings by speaking the way i do.

seeing what i am referring to is an incredibly subtle thing to 'do', that whole shedding thing i mentioned... i didnt really think i could have anybody 'see' it by writing what i have written here, i was more talking to those in the know already.
and i am probably bad at pointing too... it is a very strange thing to try and do, because of how obvious what you are pointing out is.
however i did like "the unavoidable koan of being awake and knowing it"..
what i am pointing to makes anything you have ever regarded as significant, neither significant or insignificant.. it does this because it, also, is neither significant or insignificant, or both at once perhaps..
it is utterly outside 'significance' because it is before self.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Your confidence in your own superiority made me charitable, at first. Now I believe you are only deluded.
this has nothing to do with superiority you dweeb.
'charitable'?? you are swinging the superiority cat around, not me
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:You yourself have said that awareness is almost identical to 'attention', rather than to 'consciousness'. In that case, it has a secondary role in thinking logically, recognizing the ego for what it is, dismantling delusions, and seeing Reality.
haha
ok what you did there was, have an idea, then describe what i have said in a way that allows for your point to seem legitimate. this is, crazy

what i said was that awareness is attention. i didnt say 'rather than conciousness' or anything like that, that is your point trying to wear me like a jacket, get it off me, it dribbles and moans and grabs at my hair

the manner in which i am using that word 'attention'... i could also be using the terms awareness, conciousness... is all the same thing, in the respect to which i am using them.
this label that.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Attention is only important if it is long-term and applied consciously and wisely toward understanding Truth and the nature of Reality.
no, there is nothing to understand, understanding is everywhere already, a quazillion understandings of the world in every direction...

attention is before important, it is before understanding.

just look for yourself sleepy. is right there in front of you...
but at a guess, i'd say you dont care about this and will never want this. it doesnt do anything for you. there is no way to gain cred or anything from seeing this. in fact, most would just think you were mad or whatever, it doesnt make you look cool or wise or anything.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Now, if this seems like I'm talking "from within complexity",
yeah, it very much does
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:then it is you do not have a clear comprehension of what Reality is.
it is not one way rather than another

look, it is not 'wrong' to speak from within complexity, really it is no 'less true' than anything else... it is, just from there, from that angle. but yeah you cant see outside it
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:I am saying very simple things, and I am not hiding behind any badge to do so. (The word "philosopher" has been descriptive; I could easily use "thinker" if the former sounds too intimidating to you.)
i reckon you are scared of simplicity... cause you feel like a master of complexity, and simplicity makes plaything of complexity.

i didnt mean you were hiding behind a badge, i meant you couldnt see past the badge you are wearing, which means, in one way or another, that you are too associated with the complex end of things, the story and all its elements, to be able to have much of a relationship with the simpler end of things.

intimidating? whaza? eh? hahahaa
you just wrote that to be a snot huh
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Infantile backwater troll named Lou,

If you want people to even read your posts, you need to present logically and unemotionally - not like a child in his first fencing lesson.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

lou,
haha
you got cross.
you are fast asleep mate.
No, I said you have no evidence. That is much different. I was considering pointing out that you have been making things up about other people willy-nilly, but I decided it would be best only to address what is most immediate. So I made the decision only to criticize the one related to me. You made something up about me, and you still believe it.

Convince me of it with some actual evidence.
no man, you just cant see what i am pointing to because you are too asleep.
Again, I'm unconvinced that you are any more awake than I am. In fact, I am currently convinced you have less understanding of Reality than me. Your failure to provide any clear reasoning assures me of this: I would love it if you were able to prove me wrong.
"not clearly explained what it is"... 'clearly', this just means, "in a way i can understand"...
Exactly. I can't understand what you are talking about. You are very bad at talking about things. It makes you sound stupid, almost as if you don't know what you are talking about at all.
anyways you are too fighty with me now to want to see it, so you just wont... cause feeling right is more important to you than the Dharma
This is true. I don't care one whit about the Dharma, unless I can be certain that it is right.

I've heard this criticism before: "why do you always have to be right about everything?"

Easy: because being wrong is stupid. "Why do you always have to be wrong about everything?" I reply.
i reckon you are cranky cause you are swimming in sleep still and i upset your wantings by speaking the way i do.
You reckon, but you reckon incorrectly (I rarely worry about things that happen on the internet, unless they are both wise and convincing). Here is another instance of you assuming things about your audience that are not true -- and then, somehow, convincing yourself that it is true. At what point does this assumption become truth? At what point did you delude yourself into believing your drunken meanderings were stable and logical?
seeing what i am referring to is an incredibly subtle thing to 'do'
For the love of.... did you just redefine the word "do"? No wonder nobody can understand a word that you are saying. True wisdom has no problem communicating itself.
what i am pointing to makes anything you have ever regarded as significant, neither significant or insignificant.. it does this because it, also, is neither significant or insignificant, or both at once perhaps..
it is utterly outside 'significance' because it is before self.
Okay, you've said this line before, but I'm starting to believe it doesn't mean all that much when you do. In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone in this forum has not seen that structure before, since Buddha liked to use these logical paradoxes when and where he tried to include every possible being by exhausting what he saw as the four alternatives.

However, the way you use it is not explanatory, nor appropriate for the situation. You are simply muddying the waters.
this has nothing to do with superiority you dweeb.
'charitable'?? you are swinging the superiority cat around, not me
You have been acting as though you are a wise sage and we are all students (look up to where you called someone "grasshopper"). It is the single most inauthentic, contrived, and transparent attempt at faking your own superiority. It's raw ego.

"Charitable" has a specific meaning. It means I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, and trying to imagine that what you were saying was what you were saying it was. I couldn't maintain charity for more than 2 posts. You are holding a handful of grit and think it's diamonds.

Me telling you this, and actively disagreeing with your opinions, only means that I believe my opinions are superior to your own. This is far different than your egotistical desire to be the all-knowing teacher to us little grasshoppers.
ok what you did there was, have an idea, then describe what i have said in a way that allows for your point to seem legitimate. this is, crazy
No, it's me looking through everything you said, adding it up, and saying what it is identical to. If it doesn't look that attractive when it is all concatenated like that... maybe you ought to consider that maybe you just said a bunch of really stupid things that were so far apart that you forgot that they all must form part of one unified belief system.
i didnt say 'rather than conciousness' or anything like that
You quite clearly agreed with me when I said that, although I was talking expressly about consciousness, you are talking about something different than me. Did you forget? Are you taking back what you said? Were you -- not paying enough attention?
reckon you are scared of simplicity... cause you feel like a master of complexity, and simplicity makes plaything of complexity.
Again, you reckoned something. And how much you wanna bet that you already believe it to be unequivocally true?

Point to anything complicated that I have said and I will grant you that I'm the master of complexity. But really, I can't think of anything that I've said that is really all that complicated.

I should be flattered, in fact. Nobody has ever said that I'm a complicated thinker before. I'm usually painted as pretty simple and straight-forward.
intimidating? whaza? eh? hahahaa
you just wrote that to be a snot huh
No, I wrote it because you are called me complicated. Honestly, I was surprised. People only tend to call complicated when they see more parts than they can grasp. Since my ideas are pretty simple, I thought that I must be intimidating you with big words (such as "philosopher") and capital letters.
lou

Post by lou »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:No, I said you have no evidence. That is much different. I was considering pointing out that you have been making things up about other people willy-nilly, but I decided it would be best only to address what is most immediate. So I made the decision only to criticize the one related to me. You made something up about me, and you still believe it.
Convince me of it with some actual evidence.
ok i will try. what was it, exactly?
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:In fact, I am currently convinced you have less understanding of Reality than me. Your failure to provide any clear reasoning assures me of this: I would love it if you were able to prove me wrong.
reasoning for what???
understanding is just perspective. this is a useful angle.

yes, i have less understanding of what reality 'is' than you. this is why i can see reality clearer than you.

understanding is just self. you say you have understanding of reality, and i say, duh. so does an iguana.

awareness is spontaneous. understanding is rigid.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:You are very bad at talking about things.
oh, nicely put mate. you are obviously brilliant in this respect
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:I don't care one whit about the Dharma, unless I can be certain that it is right.
I've heard this criticism before: "why do you always have to be right about everything?"
Easy: because being wrong is stupid. "Why do you always have to be wrong about everything?" I reply.
believing in right and wrong is stupid. you, trevor, are stupid.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Here is another instance of you assuming things about your audience that are not true -- and then, somehow, convincing yourself that it is true. At what point does this assumption become truth?
what? i had an opinion and presented it as opinion by prefacing it with, 'i reckon'... so i dont know, when did my assumption become truth?
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:At what point did you delude yourself into believing your drunken meanderings were stable and logical?
stable and logical are for beliefs. you persistently miss the point
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:No wonder nobody can understand a word that you are saying.
why are you assuming that because you cant comprehend this, that nobody else can? seems to me that you are playing mr.presumption.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:True wisdom has no problem communicating itself.
well then if you feel you are in 'possession' of such 'true wisdom'... please allow it to communicate itself to me, i am curious.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:However, the way you use it is not explanatory, nor appropriate for the situation. You are simply muddying the waters.
you have not comprehended why i wrote it. that is all that is happening here. one moment you say, i dont know what you are on about, the next you say, your explainations are not appropriate for the situation, which you wouldnt know if you didnt know what i was on about... you are writing whatever works for you, most women also argue like this.
i am not trying to muddy any waters.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:You have been acting as though you are a wise sage and we are all students (look up to where you called someone "grasshopper").
i called Nordicvs 'grasshopper' cause he used an old zen cliche.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:It is the single most inauthentic, contrived, and transparent attempt at faking your own superiority.
you are overstating things beyond their circumstance, most women do this also, in argument

i do not feel superior or inferior to anything, because i can see both sides of that coin, the illusion is broken.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:"Charitable" has a specific meaning. It means I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, and trying to imagine that what you were saying was what you were saying it was. I couldn't maintain charity for more than 2 posts. You are holding a handful of grit and think it's diamonds.
grit is diamonds, diamonds is grit.
you are lost in the game.

it is probably irresponsible for me to be arguing this with you at this point, it is causing you to muddy your own waters terribly. you will attach whatever response you are having to me, to it.

ah well.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:This is far different than your egotistical desire to be the all-knowing teacher to us little grasshoppers.
i do not have this desire
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:maybe you ought to consider that maybe you just said a bunch of really stupid things that were so far apart that you forgot that they all must form part of one unified belief system.
not a belief system, it doesnt need belief
something that is there, doesnt need to be believed in.

you are the hoarder of belief systems mate.
"my belief system is superior to yours, ra ra ra"

if you lost all your belief systems, and understood nothing about reality, and then looked in, what do you think you would see?

incredible that you wont just look and see this for yourself.
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:You quite clearly agreed with me when I said that, although I was talking expressly about consciousness, you are talking about something different than me. Did you forget? Are you taking back what you said? Were you -- not paying enough attention?
i agreed with the fact you couldnt see it, not with whatever you said about conciousness. and so your cockiness there, has left you with your dress tucked into your pants

ha ha
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Point to anything complicated that I have said and I will grant you that I'm the master of complexity. But really, I can't think of anything that I've said that is really all that complicated.
you have absolutely and completely missed the point, you are talking about something else, here, watch me exercise futility and try to explain again:

i am not saying that what you are saying is complicated, i am saying that you are saying it from within complexity. you are saying what you are saying, very much as a part of reality, your 'understanding' is the 'understanding' of a part, like the iguana's. you are soaked in duality and your own angle. if you wish to see reality clearer, go to war with yourself, lose your understandings. reality will still be there, and whats more, you'll be able to see it with real eyes. but um, i dont wanna be your teacher or nothin
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:I thought that I must be intimidating you with big words (such as "philosopher") and capital letters.
amazingly, i wasnt intimidated by your use of that big scary word 'philosopher'. in fact you could probably stop worrying about intimidating people with that word in general, it's not really that big or scary. and i eat capital letters for brunch, Pal
Last edited by lou on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lou

Post by lou »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Infantile backwater troll named Lou,
If you want people to even read your posts, you need to present logically and unemotionally - not like a child in his first fencing lesson.
people appear to be reading my posts thanks

i am not being, emotional or whatever. and why should i adhere to logic? thats your religion, bully

"infantile backwater troll"? man, you are ugly
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

lou, here's a douzy
ok i will try. what was it, exactly?
You said I am trapped within complexity, and can't see past the badge I'm wearing. Prove to me that my beliefs are overly complex.
reasoning for what???
understanding is just perspective. do you understand this?
You have not given me any reasoning for the untrue statements you make about me, and about my relation to Reality.

Understanding is required for knowledge. It is not "just" perspective: if you don't understand anything, there is literally no value in anything you say. There is no reason to think it true.
yes, i have less understanding of what reality 'is' than you. this is why i can see reality clearer than you.
That is counter-intuitive. I know precisely what Reality is, and have no difficulty in seeing it clearly at all times. If you don't know exactly what Reality is, what you see are your delusions.

In a sense, yes, even a delusion is part of reality. Christians, for instance, really do believe in a benevolent God. Their delusions do actually exist. But they are by no means an accurate reflection of Reality.
understanding is just self. you say you have understanding of reality, and i say, duh. so does an iguana.
You would have to prove this. I see no reason to believe that an iguana has enough consciousness to have any meaningful understanding of Reality. I can't understand why you are trying to trivialize understanding.
awareness is spontaneous. understanding is rigid.
So what? Stupidity is spontaneous, and logic is rigid.
believing in right and wrong is stupid. you, trevor, are stupid.
Is what you said right or wrong? I guess since it's stupid to believe in either, we can never know.

Give me a break. A statement is right if it's an accurate reflection of Reality, and wrong if it isn't. There's nothing stupid about this.
what? i had an opinion and presented it as opinion by prefacing it with, 'i reckon'... so i dont know, when did my assumption become truth?
It never did. Don't try to wriggle out of this: I don't think you can make a believable post hoc excuse for these incorrect assumptions that paints you as anything but a jerk. I don't appreciate you telling me what I'm like. I have much more self-awareness than you're giving me credit for. So stop spouting off these incorrect opinions about me and other posters.

Unless you can validate them with some strong evidence and a good rationalle, they don't belong.
stable and logical are for beliefs. you persistently miss the point
True: factual beliefs must be stable and logical. You have beliefs as well, but if they aren't stable or logical, they are unstable and illogical. Which means, quite simply, that your beliefs constantly change and don't follow any particular rhyme nor reason.

How could I possibly "get the point" if the point isn't logical? I might as well be talking to a lunatic.
why are you assuming that because you cant comprehend this, that nobody else can? seems to me that you are playing mr.presumption.
I exaggerated for effect; my impression was the other participants in this thread weren't able to get a clear notion of what you were saying. However, I'm certain there are people reading this who can tear you apart far better than I. For instance, I believe that any one of the moderators have listened to enough people like you that they know exactly where your understanding ends and your delusion begins.
well then if you feel you are in 'possession' of such 'true wisdom'... please allow it to communicate itself to me, i am curious.
Certainly. Here are a few fruits that have dropped from the tree of knowledge: A tautology will always be true, and a contradiction will always be false. A thing cannot both exist and not exist. Anything which changes must necessarily have a cause. Reality, whatever it is, cannot be nothing whatsoever. Anything that exists is both finite and caused, and therefore cannot have inherent existence. The Totality is not bounded (Reality is Infinite), and therefore is not itself a thing, nor is it caused, even though it is the cause of the existence of all things.

How is that?
one moment you say, i dont know what you are on about, the next you say, your explainations are not appropriate for the situation, which you wouldnt know if you didnt know what i was on about... you are writing whatever works for you, most women also argue like this.
Maybe I'm a woman in disguise? Sheesh.

You are making a few too many assumptions about what I do and do not understand. When I say "I don't understand this," I am usually really just saying, "you have not explained yourself adequately." I've always felt that a little humility now and then can be useful in getting people to fill in the blanks better. My schoolteachers used to do similar things on my essays. For instance, they'd write "why?" instead of "explain this better", even though they don't really want me to actually see them after class and tell them why. This method doesn't seem to work well with you, however, since you use every conceivable opportunity to attack me.

There's very few theories I have not at some point been exposed to. My biggest complaints with you are that you keep making unnecessary and inaccurate (and, if I must say, rather rude) assumptions about other people, and that you seem to think that you can get away with not explaining yourself fully, clearly, and logically. If I can't understand your train of thought on the first reading, I can guarantee that there will be readers who won't sit down and give you the second reading and the thorough response that your ideas might deserve.

I don't, as Elizabeth does, see you as a troll. I see you as someone who needs to slow the train down.
i am not trying to muddy any waters.
It happens, though.
i called Nordicvs 'grasshopper' cause he used an old zen cliche.
I missed that; it seemed condescending. I apologize.
i do not feel superior or inferior to anything, because i can see both sides of that coin, the illusion is broken.
Just because you see something does not mean it goes away. As I said at the beginning, deep thought requires consistent, lifelong effort. Just because, for instance, you know the word "causality", does not mean it has infused every aspect of your existence.
it is probably irresponsible for me to be arguing this with you at this point, it is causing you to muddy your own waters terribly. you will attach whatever response you are having to me, to it.
Ah, yes, I am well aware of projection, and its consequences.

But you needn't worry about me. I always make sure that when I make a claim about someone, I can back it up with evidence. For instance, here again is another example of your condescending tone and your attitude of false superiority. You act like I can't handle the truth.

I'm not as stupid as you think. Show me a clear example of me projecting myself onto you, otherwise retract this statement. It is demeaning to both of us.
i do not have this desire
And yet you lament not being able to show all the stupid people of the world the truth? Clearly you do have the desire, or else you wouldn't be trying to spread your gospel here.
not a belief system, it doesnt need belief
something that is there, doesnt need to be believed in.
You aren't excused from believing in things simply because you believe you are. For example: you obviously think what you are saying is true. Therefore, you have a belief.
you are the hoarder of belief systems mate.
"my belief system is superior to yours, ra ra ra"
I don't hoard them. I understand them, and choose to believe in the best. Unless yours is superior to mine, I have no reason to believe in it. It's that simple. There's no ego involved.

"My beliefs" are not even mine, per se. I learned many of my beliefs from people wiser than I. They are only mine because I judged them to be the ones worth holding.
if you lost all your belief systems, and understood nothing about reality, and then looked in, what do you think you would see?
I'd see exactly what I see right now. However, I'd interpret it incorrectly.

However, this question is purely academic. The only way to lose all beliefs would be to lose all consciousness.
incredible that you wont just look and see this for yourself.
It's less incredible than the fact that you care more about this fruitless academic point than thinking clearly and logically about Reality.
i am not saying that what you are saying is complicated, i am saying that you are saying it from within complexity. you are saying what you are saying, very much as a part of reality, your 'understanding' is the 'understanding' of a part, like the iguana's. you are soaked in duality and your own angle. if you wish to see reality clearer, go to war with yourself, lose your understandings. reality will still be there, and whats more, you'll be able to see it with real eyes. but um, i dont wanna be your teacher or nothin
You are recommending that I become an idiot. No thanks, it doesn't seem to have worked all that well for you.

By the way, I am a monist. Like nearly everyone who uses the term, I don't think you know what dualism actually is.
i agreed with the fact you couldnt see it, not with whatever you said about conciousness. and so your cockiness there, has left you with your dress tucked into your pants
Ouch, really? That's embarassing. I assumed that since you only muttered one agreement, you were responding to the philosophic point that I made, and not to the polite bow that I prefaced the statement with. You really do focus on trivialities.

I'm gonna have to be more careful in the future.