Musings, Critiques.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
SeekerOfWisdom

Re: Musings, Critiques.

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I could never ever imagine the how of its existence. All I know is it exists in sensual experience.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

where does 'the book' belong.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

In people's hands?

It belongs because I wish it to.

I wish it to because it's doing something.

I wish to do something because otherwise I'm doing nothing or something less interesting.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

just do it.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

need help
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

This is your thesis.

All I know is it exists in sensual experience.

There's a form called thesis writing.

In order to prove your case you have to be refuting a different viewpoint.

What you are refuting essentially is the scientific assumption that reality exists independent of sensual experience.

Gather all the arguments there are from all the commentators who also refute the scientific assumption.
That would be the first step.

If you want to encode it in a mysterious text. that's later.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I'll do that later and separately, don't want to degrade or add connotations to the mysterious one. Although I will rape up philosophers and properly explain what it means to "not-know". The best exercise is to look at fire or water and realize that everyone knows what that is and about it's existence to the same degree that you do, which is none. We are just a collection of people that know nothing interweaving our "web of guesses".

Lao Tzu knew this, "Things spring into existence" and the Buddha definitely did as he saw the illusion fully, but still that part of their message was almost brushed off, as after hearing these deep truths people still haven't understood.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:We are just a collection of people that know nothing interweaving our "web of guesses".
Good one! And lets call this web of guesses "knowledge" to contrast it with everything not in that web of guesses ("what we don't know"). Lets call it all best effort basis, or provisional.

And provisional doesn't equal "false". What is false to calling provisional what is certain and calling certain what is provisional.
Lao Tzu knew this, "Things spring into existence" and the Buddha definitely did as he saw the illusion fully, but still that part of their message was almost brushed off, as after hearing these deep truths people still haven't understood.
I think the problem is not as much misunderstanding it. The problem is more often not taking it far enough. And what someone then ends up with is a convenient form of enlightenment put at work to feed the ego or the guru, the monastery and so on.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:Dennis I'm so god damn bored I can't handle it any more haha, give me real options, things to actually do, anything good, maybe I should just read a lot with the spare time?

What does everyone else do?
Get a fucking job, dude. And if you already have a job, get a second job.

If you still have some spare time (other than hanging out at Genius) do some volunteer work. See how the other half lives.
Don't run to your death
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

When you have lots of mundane things to do....you appreciate whatever time you have to enjoy in the moment. Actually...if you lived in the moment fully...you wouldn't have time to get bored.....appreciating that you can even breathe or watch the sunrise is a blessing.....so many are suffering ....and you are bored..,you could be thankful for that beautiful peaceful boredom......................................................................................................

xox.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Kunga wrote:When you have lots of mundane things to do....you appreciate whatever time you have to enjoy in the moment. Actually...if you lived in the moment fully...you wouldn't have time to get bored.....appreciating that you can even breathe or watch the sunrise is a blessing.....so many are suffering ....and you are bored..,you could be thankful for that beautiful peaceful boredom......................................................................................................
xox.
Kunga, maybe it's just me but doing mundane things over and over gets boring. There's a lot of poor people out there, how about going to a nursing home and sitting with those who have no family on Thanksgiving. It's where I'm headed in a half hour. I'll be there till 8 PM and then go home and hang with wife and daughter. It's kinda nice our last kid at home can do some mundane things but life is life.

Enjoy! says the author.
Don't run to your death
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Tomas

Sounds like a massive waste of time haha, standing there for hours doing some bullshit someone else wants me to do for such low pay :P I could make more money for free doing apps if I really wanted, but I don't really want, at least not enough to do anything about it hahah. Really nice of you to be chilling with older people I can only imagine how bored they must get compared to me

Kunga

Yeah nature always works and I do sit outside often, but I'm not the normal kind of bored, I used to get the normal kind of bored then I would just do something else, I'm in the moment and overly "aware" kind of bored where things don't seem to have a meaning other than passing endless time, so recently I've just decided to keep my mind distracted all the time so that this doesn't occur as much, but I'd still rather be doing something worthwhile like creating something for a lot of people to see. Btw kunga are you a girl by chance?
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Seeker....I don't get it...you are intelligent & creative....do something you enjoy doing !!!! If you don't find anything enjoyable anymore....could you be depressed ? Do something you've never done before....break out of your routine...also if you think escaping to some exotic island will change things.......wherever you go...there you are....you must find happiness within yourself before you'll ever find happiness elsewhere.....it's all within......meditate on death.

_/\_

Thomas.....bless your heart.......AND PEACE ALWAYS ......smoke the peace pipe for me.... :) xoxox
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Love that Confucius quote, I'm not depressed at all and I am generally pretty happy, it's really only being aware of the dream aspect of things that makes it boring but there isn't really much I can do about it so just learning to accept that I have to distract the mind and try and enjoy things as you say :P

I meditate on death and life almost all day long, that's why death is nothing to me, I can promise you, it will be just like going to sleep :)

Maybe I should keep that in mind to remember to feel completely free, btw you didn't answer? Although I think _/\_ this may have been related haha
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:Tomas

Sounds like a massive waste of time haha, standing there for hours doing some bullshit someone else wants me to do for such low pay :P I could make more money for free doing apps if I really wanted, but I don't really want, at least not enough to do anything about it hahah.
I own my own business so I don't work for others, they work for me ;-)

Your answer tells me you are bored with what you do which sounds like living off of your girlfriend's wages and or welfare check. Or your parents have paid you off.
Don't run to your death
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Kunga wrote:Thomas.....bless your heart.......AND PEACE ALWAYS ......smoke the peace pipe for me.... :) xoxox
It takes getting used to being around people less fortunate than I have been blessed to be. The old folks home aren't made up strictly of old people, about half of the people are younger than me but their energies are as strong as mine are but specific trials have placed them on a lower rung than me and misfortune plays a part in everyone's life here on Planet Earth.

And yes, do what one must because life is short and goes by quickly. Look at Diebert, he's old and grey but he still posts here with the vim and vigor of a 70-year-young whippersnapper (Ha).
Don't run to your death
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Tomas there you go you've got it sorted :p I live at my brothers house have food and a room and no moneys, ( actually I recently got 1.6k from an old tax return but leaving it for a trip). I only need something I find worthwhile, then it has all my attention
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Seeker : I'm female :) This : _/\_ means "Namaste "
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:Tomas there you go you've got it sorted :p I live at my brothers house have food and a room and no moneys, ( actually I recently got 1.6k from an old tax return but leaving it for a trip). I only need something I find worthwhile, then it has all my attention
I'm the youngest at age 60, haven't seen my sister since 2007, another brother since 2007, and the other brother in 2006. I don't miss any of them and it prolly reflected back the same way toward me. We enjoyed our time together growing up but life is life and we all moved on.

Find out who you are and get on with life because it goes fast. A day wasted is one you will never get back and only brings death a day closer to happening - not knowing when that day comes - if it ever arrives and you having the sense to act upon it.

That $1,600 is worth less and less every day you leave it lying about. Get out and make it $10,000 then you'll have the airfare and spending money to hang in Fiji for a year or more. Keep the girlfriend because they are comfort food (and if you have selected a wise woman) you will be repaid a thousandfold. Get off your duff and make it happen ;-)
Don't run to your death
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Tomas

Don't worry, life is of the stuff of dream and is in this sense eternal, when you die you will simply revert back to sensual life, a John Farhat, Buddha, Jesus, and Lao Tzu philosophical guarantee :p

And I don't think about the future much so I'm not really concerned about what happens. Did you guys know you can rent really nice houses with a lot of bedrooms for as little as $200 a week? Fiji* Should form some genius international headquarters hahaha
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:Tomas

Don't worry, life is of the stuff of dream and is in this sense eternal, when you die you will simply revert back to sensual life, a John Farhat, Buddha, Jesus, and Lao Tzu philosophical guarantee :p

And I don't think about the future much so I'm not really concerned about what happens. Did you guys know you can rent really nice houses with a lot of bedrooms for as little as $200 a week? Fiji* Should form some genius international headquarters hahaha
Well with that $1,600 you have socked away you will be there a couple weeks or so. Your airfare $$$ won't get you there any time sooner than by a slow freighter. So, enjoy the couple weeks you have there with your $1,600 nest egg.

The wife and I have been to China six times (amongst other Asian getaways) so Fiji on your budget may be where you are in your own way of looking at time well spent.

PS - That is where old man Joe Kennedy (think bootlegger, prostitution and other assorted thuggeries) placed The Kennedy Trust is in the Fiji island group. Too bad John and Robert didn't live the good life long enough to enjoy the ill-gotten booty of his father's largess ;-(
Don't run to your death
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Tomas wrote:I own my own business so I don't work for others, they work for me ;-)
Wasn't your business on the hype of the housing bubble, buy repair and sell high? Still working on that? If I remember right you have more than one business...
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Going for a couple months with some other people should be great, and thanks for the little fact
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Bobo wrote:
Tomas wrote:I own my own business so I don't work for others, they work for me ;-)
Wasn't your business on the hype of the housing bubble, buy repair and sell high? Still working on that? If I remember right you have more than one business...
No!
Don't run to your death