Beyond God and Evil

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Re: Beyond God and Evil

Post by David Quinn »

brokenhead wrote:
DQ wrote:Nature being uncaused means that it doesn't have a first cause. Cause and effect extends back indefinitely.

Even if Nature was somehow locked into a repeating loop, it would still be a case of cause and effect extending back indefinitely.
If one probes back into time using logic and knowledge, or anything else, some kind of horizon is encountered. It may just be a matter of scale and perspective, and I strongly suspect that it is. The horizon is further away if you stand on a tower and use a telescope, and your perspective is not the same. Yet the horizon itself persists. Beyond the horizon of your vision, Reality continues nonetheless.
There is no horizon for those who understand cause and effect. A sage's vision is without end.

-
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

DQ wrote:There is no horizon for those who understand cause and effect. A sage's vision is without end.
Of course there is a horizon in your vision, or else the world, and everything in it including physical reality, i.e., space and time, would be Euclidean. Flat. Always and everywhere linear. Next you'll be telling me that if I go on that cruise I'm planning, I'll fall off the edge of the world.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it . . . or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it.

Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher.

But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings--that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.
-- The Buddha
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Beingof1 wrote:
Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it . . . or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it.

Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher.

But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings--that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.
-- The Buddha
William Branham is on the outside, looking in.

mikiel

Post by mikiel »

Shahrazad wrote:Iolaus,
Your opposition to God seems like it has an emotional, aversion component.
If so, that emotion is frustration. Frustration that I just don't see God while everybody else does. There was a time when I even tried to believe in him.

Also, in Christianity, I was taught that God was mean enough to cause us to suffer for eternity. It has negative connotations for me.

-
Some know universal consciousness as our true Identity (gnosis), some don't know (agnostics) and others deny the possibility of one consciousness (God) in all forms (atheists.) Gnosis is enlightenment.

BTW... palendromically speaking... Do geese see God?