Making peace with femininity

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
brokenhead

Re: Making peace with femininity

Post by brokenhead »

how is my view invalid? Because you believe there's not enough evidence to show that quantitatively there's no difference between stupid males and females?

What intrigues me is your weird rant about women being the baby bearers, and how this is supposed to make me have womb envy, or how it's related to the discussion. It was quite an incoherent and spontaneous post which I showed it to be, yet you completely ignored it.
I'll type slowly so even you can understand.

I said your view point is valid, because that's what I believe. You then say my problem is that I consider every viewpoint to be valid. Then I say OK, your viewpoint isn't valid. It is a joke.

Let me ask you something. When you were in school, was it a big bus or a little bus you rode in every day? And did you change classrooms during the day, or did you stay in the same room and the teachers came in and out?
Laird

Post by Laird »

Dan Rowden wrote:That would be the one immediately before my observation. Am I the only one gets the humour of it?
I think I see what you're getting at Dan, but IMO the irony factor is only about a 5 / 10; 6 if you're lucky.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hey, when someone says some person's view is valid but that they don't see the world that way, that's gotta rate at least a 9.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Hey, when someone says some person's view is valid but that they don't see the world that way, that's gotta rate at least a 9.
Sam has said stuff like that. Why does broken get credit for originality?
Laird

Post by Laird »

Dan Rowden wrote:Hey, when someone says some person's view is valid but that they don't see the world that way, that's gotta rate at least a 9.
I don't think there's anything particularly ironic about a statement like that in general. One can view the glass as half empty or half full - both are valid. However in this specific case I agree that it's a somewhat silly thing to say - we're dealing with facts here rather than perspective. Either women are less logical and more unconscious than men or they aren't - both ways can't be simultaneously valid.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

One can view the glass as half empty or half full - both are valid. However in this specific case I agree that it's a somewhat silly thing to say - we're dealing with facts here rather than perspective. Either women are less logical and more unconscious than men or they aren't - both ways can't be simultaneously valid.
What do the facts say to you, Laird?
Laird

Post by Laird »

Laird: [W]e're dealing with facts here rather than perspective. Either women are less logical and more unconscious than men or they aren't - both ways can't be simultaneously valid.

Kelly: What do the facts say to you, Laird?
I'm surprised that you had to ask, Kelly. I thought that my position on this issue was already well known. The facts (and here I'm largely referring to those garnered from personal observation, although I've also read the odd summary of scientific studies) as far as I'm concerned are that men and women are roughly equally logical and conscious.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Laird wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Hey, when someone says some person's view is valid but that they don't see the world that way, that's gotta rate at least a 9.
I don't think there's anything particularly ironic about a statement like that in general. One can view the glass as half empty or half full - both are valid. However in this specific case I agree that it's a somewhat silly thing to say - we're dealing with facts here rather than perspective. Either women are less logical and more unconscious than men or they aren't - both ways can't be simultaneously valid.
Incorrect. It's just a different viewpoint. Unless you can come up with a way to say which of two different yet equally firmly held viewpoints is a truer one, they have to be - both of them - considered equally valid. I'm disappointed in you, Laird. We are not speaking of whether or not a statement is true, we are speaking of whether or not a viewpoint is valid. Hey, I even consider Dan's viewpoints to be valid.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Laird wrote:men and women are roughly equally logical and conscious.
You're not saying every human has roughly the same degree of logical thinking?

Computer programming requires highly logical thinking, would you agree? Do you find equal numbers of men and women in your higher level programming circles?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Computer programming requires highly logical thinking, would you agree? Do you find equal numbers of men and women in your higher level programming circles?
The places where I worked during my many years of computer programming / analysis all had at least as many women as men. On one of these places (where I worked the longest) there were decidely more women, and many of these were in high leadership positions. And these were mainframe computer jobs, which are an order of magnitude more difficult than pc programming.

Try again.

-
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Shahrazad wrote:
Sam has said stuff like that. Why does broken get credit for originality?
Shahrazad, I have stated many times in these forums that I have never had an original idea in my life. I can't help it if Dan finds clear thinking amusing.
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

brokenhead,

You go about telling others to think for themselves and not parrot others, but you yourself reckon you don't ever think anything out yourself!

So you got the idea about telling other people to think for themselves from someone else!?

Where lies the "clear thinking" in your pronouncement?
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

brokenhead wrote:
Sue, you can't opt out of the human race if you're not a part of it to begin with.

You are spreading lies thinly disguised as some holy grail of truth. You are better than that. I can tell from your writing that you are very intelligent. Do not abrogate your own membership to the human race, at least not until you have fully discovered its potential.
-
Even though you do not support your own thinking, what you have written above still gives cause for reply.
-

Due to consciousness, we are able to question the truth of things. This is what sets us apart from the rest of the animals. Not to question, that is, not to use our consciousness is to truly “abrogate your own membership to the human race”.
Laird

Post by Laird »

Kelly Jones wrote:You're not saying every human has roughly the same degree of logical thinking?
That's not what I was saying, no - I was saying that roughly the range of logical thinking ability in men is the same as the range in women. There are certainly some people who are more skilled than others at different types of logical thinking either through practice or through innate ability.
Kelly Jones wrote:Computer programming requires highly logical thinking, would you agree? Do you find equal numbers of men and women in your higher level programming circles?
As far as my personal experience goes, no I haven't noticed as many women as men, I've noticed that there are usually more male programmers than female programmers - but then I haven't had extensive industrial experience. I certainly don't put this down to lack of ability though - in my opinion it's more about lack of interest. I had a few women in my computer systems engineering degree and they all seemed to pass the programming assignments just fine, and I know that one of them went on to work as a programmer after graduation, and I have worked with female programmers before, just not many and not closely enough to have formed any opinion of their level of ability. Clearly though, Sher's experience is that women can be the equals of men in this field. I was actually going to ask her to comment but she beat me to it.

The gender imbalance is actually a recognised problem in open source software circles though - some people speculate that the male-dominated geeky culture where the typical initial reaction of the male geek to a new (and exceedingly rare) female working companion is "so, you got a boyfriend?" is particularly unappealing to women who might otherwise find the thrill of participating in this freedom-loving, anarchic community quite exciting. Some people speculate that there are more women participating than we realise, it's just that to avoid being hit on they don't reveal their gender.
Last edited by Laird on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
divine focus

Post by divine focus »

Nick Treklis wrote:
divine focus wrote:The purpose of the feminine isn't to know the truth; it's to be the truth. Unconsciousness in terms of not knowing the truth is a masculine aspect and has nothing at all to do with the feminine. The masculine seeks to know truth, and if it doesn't know it isn't the fault of the feminine. The feminine is the truth and has no need to know itself the way the masculine does, because the masculine is there to provide that sort of knowing.
Could you elaborate on exactly what you mean when you say the feminine is Truth? In my experiences with feminine minded people they tend to distract one's mind from Truth, a far cry from actually being the Truth.
Truth can be divided into two apects, masculine and feminine. The masculine does the dividing, but the truth is still integrated and whole. This integratedness is the feminine, which stays true no matter how the masculine may dissect it. Masculine-minded people represent masculine ways of knowing, while feminine-minded people represent feminine ways of being. The masculine seeks to know; the feminine holds what is know and to be known in one integrated piece.
Ataraxia wrote:
divine focus wrote: Love is not an emotion or a sentiment, though it translates into that within perception. Love is all around, as it is the basis of self and reality.
Fine,then how does it differ from hate in that regard?

It seems to me many people want to grant 'love' some sort of divine,etheral or ineffable status but then say 'hate' is something different.

If 'God' is love (which seems to be what you are alluding to),then 'God' is hate too.No?
Instead of the word "God," imagine using the term "the I." Now, if God is everything, imagine there being only one I. How can the I love or hate anything if everything is itself? If it perceives anything, it is only perceiving itself. This is the love beyond duality, everything being the I, which is you. Hate only exists as a perception of there being anything other than the I. The I forgets itself within its integrity and perception runs amok creating threats where none existed. Through the power of the I, perception is reality. There is no official, rockbed realilty outside of the I; the I is all there is.
eliasforum.org/digests.html
Laird

Post by Laird »

Laird: <I>n this specific case I agree that it's a somewhat silly thing to say - we're dealing with facts here rather than perspective. Either women are less logical and more unconscious than men or they aren't - both ways can't be simultaneously valid.

brokenhead: Incorrect. It's just a different viewpoint.
It's not a matter of viewpoint, it's a matter of empirical fact. The only way in which viewpoint comes into it is in the particular definitions that we choose to use for "conscious" and "logical".
brokenhead wrote:Unless you can come up with a way to say which of two different yet equally firmly held viewpoints is a truer one, they have to be - both of them - considered equally valid.
Oh, so it's simultaneously true that women are less conscious than men and that women are equally as conscious as men? Come on brokenhead, both "viewpoints" can't be valid.
brokenhead wrote:I'm disappointed in you, Laird.
Dude. You're disappointed in me! We're on the same team here, and you go bringing us into disrepute by making illogical statements.
brokenhead wrote:We are not speaking of whether or not a statement is true
Absolutely we are. "Women are less conscious and less logical than men." It doesn't get much more concrete and factual than that, apart from the question of definitions that I commented on earlier.
brokenhead wrote:we are speaking of whether or not a viewpoint is valid.
A viewpoint would be something like "women's lack of consciousness is a matter of concern and sympathy". The determination of whether they actually are unconscious in the first place is a question of fact.
brokenhead wrote:Hey, I even consider Dan's viewpoints to be valid.
Sam? Are you and brokenhead one and the same?
Last edited by Laird on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Sue Hindmarsh wrote:brokenhead,

You go about telling others to think for themselves and not parrot others, but you yourself reckon you don't ever think anything out yourself!

So you got the idea about telling other people to think for themselves from someone else!?

Where lies the "clear thinking" in your pronouncement?
Are you daft? I never said I don't think anything out myself. I always think things through.

I said I never had an original idea. OK I lied. What I meant was, if I have thought of it, others must have as well. I am trying to keep myself humble.

Sue, sometimes you are just a poophead.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Laird wrote:Sam? Are you and brokenhead one and the same?
ROFL!!!!

Laird:

I am firmly on the side that says women are as conscious as men. As logical? Yes, if you understand feminine logic, no small task that.

But that has been my experience. Apparently, not everybody agrees with my assessment. Do I then presume to judge the differing viewpoint as invalid? No. Not without evidence.

And Samadhi and I are quite distinct, I assure you. I'm still trying to figure out which GFer is pulling snow bunny's strings!

I got an early one tomorrow and it's latish in Philly. Cheers!
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Shahrazad wrote:
The places where I worked during my many years of computer programming / analysis all had at least as many women as men.
At all these places you mention, where you worked as a computer programmer, was at least half of all the computer programmers female?
On one of these places (where I worked the longest) there were decidely more women, and many of these were in high leadership positions. And these were mainframe computer jobs, which are an order of magnitude more difficult than pc programming.
This might be interesting. You don't mention that the leadership positions of the other workplaces were filled by at least the same number of females as males. So is it correct to assume that you preferred this workplace over the others, because the leaders had a kind of female-oriented employment policy ? Would it also be correct to assume that this is why the more difficult positions were filled by women?

Kelly
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Kelly,
At all these places you mention, where you worked as a computer programmer, was at least half of all the computer programmers female?
Yes, about half in some, and more than half in others.
You don't mention that the leadership positions of the other workplaces were filled by at least the same number of females as males.
Maybe not as many women as the one I mentioned, but there certainly were women in leadership.
So is it correct to assume that you preferred this workplace over the others, because the leaders had a kind of female-oriented employment policy ?
I don't think I preferred this workplace. Honestly, I loved them all. I love working with people of both sexes, and as long as my skills are valued and I'm allowed to work independently, I'm happy in a workplace. They all did this.
Would it also be correct to assume that this is why the more difficult positions were filled by women?
No. My boss was a smart woman and she had a knack for placing people in whatever position they were really good at. The highly analytical women were placed in analytical positions. There were no sexist policies there.

-
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Who knows. Sometimes workplaces don't have anti-discrimination policies as an indication of anti-discrimination. If it's even mentioned that women should be supported to develop to be as capable as men, women take offence at the implication they aren't.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Laird wrote:Some people speculate that there are more women participating than we realise, it's just that to avoid being hit on they don't reveal their gender.
The hits are obviously online, aren't they? A logical thinker who is also a computer programmer would create a program to deal with that tedious task.

So the likely interpretation is that females simply aren't capable of highly logical thinking / programming (that is, unless it's a group activity where little original thought is required), or the females hit-on do actually want to be hit on but only by those they've selected after anonymous observation.

If there were many decent female programmers, they would naturally congregate, and the issue would probably be raised by at least some of them, that they had no interest in being hit on. This subgroup would realise that anonymous programming perpetuated the undesirable hits for females who gave their names publicly. As logical thinkers, this hypothetical collective would openly and explicitly request the behaviour stop, in a range of obvious ways. But this has not happened.
xerox

Post by xerox »

Last edited by xerox on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Laird wrote:Some people speculate that there are more women participating than we realise, it's just that to avoid being hit on they don't reveal their gender.
The hits are obviously online, aren't they? A logical thinker who is also a computer programmer would create a program to deal with that tedious task.
How would they go about that? What would the program do exactly?
Last edited by Jason on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Kelly Jones wrote:So the likely interpretation is that females simply aren't capable of highly logical thinking / programming (that is, unless it's a group activity where little original thought is required), or the females hit-on do actually want to be hit on but only by those they've selected after anonymous observation.

If there were many decent female programmers, they would naturally congregate, and the issue would probably be raised by at least some of them, that they had no interest in being hit on. This subgroup would realise that anonymous programming perpetuated the undesirable hits for females who gave their names publicly. As logical thinkers, this hypothetical collective would openly and explicitly request the behaviour stop, in a range of obvious ways. But this has not happened.
You're tarring the subject with your own brush Kelly. There's nothing stopping female programmers being highly logical in applying themselves to the nature of their job but doing so in no way implies that they will apply that logic to any other area of their life.

You chose a bad example in the first place as there is a particularly high incidence of females in programming, compared to the incidence in many other fields requiring a level of logical rigour. But in the end, just like the male scientist who uses logic all day long and yet only applies systematic thinking to life in general on a whimsical basis, so too female programmers can work with high levels of logical abstraction and yet never apply that systematic thinking systematically.

This brings me back to a point I made a while back: What people are caused to go through plays a larger part in their development than what they are caused to be capable of. Sure women in general are genetically disadvantaged in many aspects of the attributes required for high achievement but these genetic disadvantages don't render women completely incapable of high achievement as they are very much surmountable with the appropriate causal influences in life. As to whether they'll come across those appropriate causal influences is the larger part of it though, being as females are generally subject to an entirely different socialization process to males, a process less likely to predispose females to develop those high achievement attributes. Clearly though, more and more so these days, some and even many do. There is a high incidence of females in programming, a discipline requiring high levels of logical abstraction. Look no further than the likes of Ellen Macarthur for a female more driven, disciplined and more capable of single-pointed concentration than most males on the face of the planet. History is repleat with examples of women of integrity and constancy, if only because they stand out from the crowd so. And they're certainly not disadvantaged in any way whatsoever when it comes to being callous, crass and uncaring with regard to getting what they want.

Of course, such women will go on to high achievement and yet most will likely never apply those aquired attributes to the big questions, just like most men of high achievement won't. But if they manage to defy the minefield of female socialization and avail themselves of such attributes, they are just as capable (if not more so due to the greater degree of their struggle to get there) of addressing those big questions and following through on their conclusions.

In short, females are just as capable as males of developing many if not all aspects of the much vaunted masculine mindset required for wisdom. It's just that they're far less likely to go through the appropriate causal processes to produce it and then the appropriate causal processes to apply it to spiritual understanding. The point being that it's not a question of their being completely incapable. But I guess you already know this better than most.