Beyond God and Evil

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Iolaus

Re: Beyond God and Evil

Post by Iolaus »

David,
I'm not necessarily saying it does cover all cases (in other words, I'm open to the possibility of paranormal phenomena), but I do have high standards when it comes to evidence for these things. In my experience, the paranormal agenda is mostly driven by very flakey people who are easily satisfied with dubious evidence. When you have intelligent people like Susan Blackmore, James Randi, and Derren Brown who have all investigated the subject with a scientific thoroughness and yet come away empty-handed, it doesn't look good.
Randi is a hypocrite, dishonest, and I have read a very good and thorough critique of Susan Blackmore's book that was pretty compelling. She actually did lousy research, was illogical in the extreme, and had an agenda which was egotistical and emotional.

I would have to go looking, but I have read of some people's experience with Randi that led them to conclude that he has no intention whatsoever of ever paying.

You say you are open but I do not have that impression. Also-
I sincerely doubt you have a grasp of the laws of probability.
This, I'm afraid, is the crux of it. Many people assume that the laws of probability are on their side, but it is not so.

I also presented an example of mind communication here once, and got the same answer from David, that it was a coincidence. Except in this case, it was not a thought but an actual hearing of a voice.

It is odd, that David believes all of reality is connected, yet does not think there are any implications of that beyond what an 18th century intellectual atheist might have come up with.

At the same time, Brokenhead, I do not know why you conclude that the voice was from God. It could have been another entity.
Truth is a pathless land.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote:True, observing things through the senses is a necessary catalyst for provoking the mind into seeking logical truths. However, the proof of a logical truth cannot be found in such observation.

I trust you see the difference.
Perhaps you could elaborate using the example that I started out with: that the components of a thing are causes of it.

Given the truth that a thing cannot possibly exist without its component parts, it becomes logically true that all things cannot exist without their component parts. This is a truth which doesn't require empirical observation to confirm or deny. It is something which can only be affirmed logically.

All things have component parts, whether they are physically apparent or mentally constructed.

earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote:That's your choice. But it means none of us have any reason to accept that you have evidence for an alien god.
Sure, and I don't expect you to - all that I expect is for you to acknowledge that it's a possibility.

I acknowledge it in the same way that I acknowledge the possibility of UFOs and the Loch Ness Monster. Possible, yes, but philosophically and spiritually irrelevant.

earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote:The difference between an absolute truth and a transitory truth is as stark as stark can be. A truth is either impossible to falsify or it isn't. There can be no mixing of the two.
In the context of the ongoing thread, "Can you ever be certain that you are reasoning correctly?", how can you ever know that a truth is impossible to falsify?
If a truth is timeless, it is impossible to falsify. If a truth is purely logical, it is timeless.

earnest_seeker wrote:
David: Reality is formless, meaning that it cannot be captured or contained within a finite form.

earnest: I mustn't be understanding you correctly, because at face value that statement seems to me to be flagrantly false. I am a part of reality, and I have a form. A rock is a part of reality, and a rock has form. Without form, there is nothing to be conscious of, and yet we are conscious of things.

David: Water can be molded into an infinite variety of shapes precisely because it has no shape.
Implicit in that statement is the notion of "the shape of water", which occurs in "infinite varieties". Therefore water has form, therefore reality has form.

Reality has both the form of everything and the form of no thing. It is all things, yet no thing in particular. It is formless, yet manifests as everything that we see.

earnest_seeker wrote:
earnest: Can you explain to me the connection that you're making between "finite" and "form"?

David: A form can only exist by virtue of being distinguishable from other forms, meaning that it has a beginning/end and therefore is finite in extent.
Perhaps "a" form implies "finite", but what about just "form"? What I really want to know, though, is how you define "form". I'm assuming that you mean something similar to "structure". Is that correct?

No, a form is simply any portion of the Totality.

earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote:If you have no awareness of what it means to become an enlightened sage, then it is quite understandable that you would regard adult forms of consciousness, in all their variety, as being all there is and that women are highly conscious creatures.
Please describe for me what it means to become an enlightened sage.

The descriptions are all over this forum and its associated websites. If you really want to know, read Buddha, Lao Tzu, Hakuin, Kierkegaard, Poison for the Heart, etc, and strive for ultimate understanding with your whole being.

earnest_seeker wrote:
David: However, Anna, being a woman, doesn't want to exclude anybody.

earnest_seeker: God bless her for her inclusiveness.

David: Even though it involves wishful thinking?
I'd like you to outline how you see her thinking as wishful in this context before I answer that.

She wants to believe in reincarnation, for example, so that everyone who misses out in this life will get a chance in another life. Truth is thus cast away for the sake of satiating a feminine desire.

The idea that every creature is slowly working their way towards God is a very seductive one in the eyes of a woman.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Iolaus wrote:David,
I'm not necessarily saying it does cover all cases (in other words, I'm open to the possibility of paranormal phenomena), but I do have high standards when it comes to evidence for these things. In my experience, the paranormal agenda is mostly driven by very flakey people who are easily satisfied with dubious evidence. When you have intelligent people like Susan Blackmore, James Randi, and Derren Brown who have all investigated the subject with a scientific thoroughness and yet come away empty-handed, it doesn't look good.
Randi is a hypocrite, dishonest, and I have read a very good and thorough critique of Susan Blackmore's book that was pretty compelling. She actually did lousy research, was illogical in the extreme, and had an agenda which was egotistical and emotional.

Who wrote it? She stepped on a lot of toes in her research, no doubt causing much resentment.

I would have to go looking, but I have read of some people's experience with Randi that led them to conclude that he has no intention whatsoever of ever paying.
These people being "psychics" who failed his test?

I have little doubt that both Randi and Blackmore had to put up with a lot of people who had little or no understanding of the scientific method and who resented its strict demands.

Iolaus wrote:
I sincerely doubt you have a grasp of the laws of probability.
This, I'm afraid, is the crux of it. Many people assume that the laws of probability are on their side, but it is not so.

I also presented an example of mind communication here once, and got the same answer from David, that it was a coincidence. Except in this case, it was not a thought but an actual hearing of a voice.

There is nothing of substance in your response here.

It is odd, that David believes all of reality is connected, yet does not think there are any implications of that beyond what an 18th century intellectual atheist might have come up with.

I just don't accept dodgy evidence - for anything. Give me something compelling by a credible source and I will be open to it.

-
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Earnest,
Well, you believe that God is wise without a process, and that His wisdom is worth having, right? There's your precedent for non-magical inherent wisdom right there.
I have no idea about that.
Iolaus wrote:All the while that the bloke is suffering and the torturer accruing negative karma, there is also total purity and innocence. Sure, neither of them is aware of it, but perhaps you can become aware of it.

I gather that you mean in the sense that "the world is proceeding as it should".
That is not what I meant.
But I keep on telling you: when you analyse it carefully we are "controlled" anyway, no matter what. There are certain things that it is not in our nature to do, that we are biased against: this is a way in which our wills are not "free" but are constrained. You argue that it is because we have learnt our lessons.
Your example, though, was inadequate, because a lot of people do those horrible things that others cannot bring themselves to do.
But our natures may be constrained due to our human genetic makeup, and less constrained if our consciousness were living in some other form. But even if our wills do have some constraints, it does not mean that the free exercise within those constraints are not needed and important.

We seem to have a choice, for example, to dull down our awareness of God, which is a decrease in consciousness, for as long as we like. God would never force himself on anyone, being supremely humble and gentle. Yet, I suspect, over long aeons of time, eventually all entities will awaken.
Fine, but then why would an omnipotent God put in place this system where we have to learn lessons through suffering? Why not just cut to the chase and build us with all of our lessons learnt from the start, and avoid a whole heap of suffering?
Maybe after 80 trillion universes of 23 trillion years each (an incarnation of Brahma) he wanted a new game.
The difference is that in the Matrix there was another higher reality in which evil things were happening. Under my proposal, there would be no other higher reality: all would be well in ultimate reality.
No, the point is, you want to live in the Matrix.
Oh dear. First Leyla accuses me of whining and now you do. Can you recognize the difference between whining and arguing a point / making an observation?
Well, I didn't read her post. In my opinion, nearly every argument against God because of the existence of evil that I have ever heard amounts to the petulant whining of children. You aren't the only one. The problem isn't God, the problem is your immaturity. I mean that in the kindest way! I mean, I am not wanting to be insulting or single you out, it's just an observation.
Why would I be any less real if I were - like God - intrinsically perfect without that process? (please remember that this is from an if-then perspective. I'm not trying to say that "this is the way that it should be", I'm saying that "this is the way that it would be given an omnipotent God")
1. Nothing to do with omnipotence, as I said before.
2. You are intrinsically perfect.
3. You are an intrinsically perfect air bubble. Want to be more than an air bubble? Until you have chosen kindness, you aren't kind. Until you have voluntarily united your will to the will of God, you aren't anything but an automaton. Unless you had the chance to say no, you have never said yes.

I have sometimes had the thought, that our wills really consist of only one binary choice: yes to God or no to God.
Oh, I don't know its source, but I can describe it. Creative power is that which inspires great works of art, witty come-backs, inspiring new engineering works, etc.
When you know its source and substance, you might deserve an opinion on these matters.

I won't keep the light on for ya.
Well sure, it could be herself. But if God is omnipotent, then He is capable of overriding her choice, isn't He?
I don't know whether he can, but he never would!
He could equally have decided "No, my child, you have not gone far enough yet", and imposed a stronger morality upon her mind, couldn't He?
God may be knocking at the door, but you gotta let him in. He doesn't impose. That would be evil.
At the same time, though, you seem to be promoting the view that God existed before the universe did. So are you saying that God existed first, and then expanded His "body" into what we now know as the universe?
Whether a universe must manifest at all times, or whether it can wax and wane like Mikiel thinks, is a question I have wondered about, but it may not really be a n accurate question at all. Because a universe of denser matter may not need to always be in a state of manifestation out of the ether, the void of pure potential, but that unmanifest energetic quantum or subquantum field/void would always be there. It may oscillate, as most things do. Consciousness would always exist.
Iolaus: The most logical answer is not that any entity is unredeemable.

Why?
Because return is the motion of the Tao.

Why would it never regain its sanity? All relative entities (to use Jehu's term) have but one source of their own existence. That source is God. That's the hell of it, Earnest. There is no alternative to God.
earnest: Well there are those who believe that we are each literally God, viewing Himself through different windows. Are you amenable to that belief?

Iolaus: Yes, but there is always a yes, but.

Please elaborate.
I thought I did. I do think that is a good explanation of what is going on here, but maybe there are other patterns going on as well, and I sense a transcendent aspect of God, in addition to the immanent. But I don't understand it.
Well if God were omnipotent, He needn't let those idiocies stand, need He?
Sigh.

Why are you looking to God for answers that we can come up with ourselves? What are we, insects?
My point was that if God were omnipotent, then He would have created us such that we weren't confused, and were operating on a high level of functioning. He wants the best for us, right?
I got news for you. Your God is a big statue made of sugar, and he got melted a long time ago. You're on your own.
You're claiming that it's impossible to create humans who are already perfect, but as I've written previously, there is precedent for it in that God - as you view him to the best of my knowledge - is supposedly perfect without following any path to get there.
I know nothing of God's path. God is not perfect, he is everything. All possibility, all history. He is the origin. Totally invulnerable. All suffering is his. All ignorance is his. All things will return. Only a finite ego would engage in the use of force. What you are advocating is a God who is a bully or who disrespects and distrusts reality.
Fair enough, my question remains though (and it's starting to get a little repetitious now, so I might leave it at this): why is all of this suffering necessary given an all-powerful God?
Yes, we are talking past each other. Please try to understand just one little thing: this is not about God's power, about what he 'could' do if he wanted.
Where did your God come from? Where did the Totality come from? These are questions that I have never seen a good answer to.
This is THE Question!

It's a mind breaker.
This is similar to a question that Leyla asked me, and which I refused to answer her given the way that she approached me. I'll answer you, though, because you've shown me good faith. My provisional definition of God is "the being with the highest power to do good, and who is the model for perfection". As to what entitles my God to that name - it seems to fit within the scope of how the word is generally used. It's at least closer to what is traditionally (i.e. in the Judeo-Christian paradigm) known as God than the idea that QRS have that God is the Totality: their "God" isn't even conscious, nor is it good.
OK, but you have to get to the bottom of things. As you see above, that is the real question, and when you understand the magnitude of it, perhaps you will see that there cannot be more than one explanation to the causeless or self-existent property that is the fundamental attribute of God.
I understood you perfectly, I just rarely miss an opportunity to flirt. I consider it similar to paying people compliments: they generally appreciate it. I do understand that it makes some people uncomfortable, so if you're in that category then let me know and I'll hold my tongue in future.
I'll call the sexual harassment hotline, I will!
I'm not familiar with this particular bridal chamber. Where did you read of it?
Well that one came from the gospel of Thomas. But the wise virgins was in the regular gospels.
I have no idea. How did your God come to be, and who made the rules of logic?
You missed the point. Why is there a game God doesn't like with rules he didn't set up and can't alter? Who is more powerful than he?

Logic isn't an arbitrary decision of a whimsical mind. Logic is a description of how things work. What we call a rule of logic is a description of something we have understood about how reality works.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

David,

Your questions are fair enough. I am not sure if I will be able to spend the time to work on them, what with having a lot less time just lately.
She wants to believe in reincarnation, for example, so that everyone who misses out in this life will get a chance in another life. Truth is thus cast away for the sake of satiating a feminine desire.
But you don't know the truth of our situation here. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that consciousness survives death. There are other good reasons to think our universe is not the futile one you inhabit.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Iolaus wrote:There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that consciousness survives death.
What, you take "I see dead people" as evidence? Why?
There are other good reasons to think our universe is not the futile one you inhabit.
No there isn't. There can't be because it's an inherently illogical concept.
earnest_seeker

Post by earnest_seeker »

David Quinn wrote:
earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote:True, observing things through the senses is a necessary catalyst for provoking the mind into seeking logical truths. However, the proof of a logical truth cannot be found in such observation.

I trust you see the difference.
Perhaps you could elaborate using the example that I started out with: that the components of a thing are causes of it.

Given the truth that a thing cannot possibly exist without its component parts, it becomes logically true that all things cannot exist without their component parts. This is a truth which doesn't require empirical observation to confirm or deny. It is something which can only be affirmed logically.

All things have component parts, whether they are physically apparent or mentally constructed.
Oh, but that's not a proof, it's an assertion, and one based on observation of reality.
David: The difference between an absolute truth and a transitory truth is as stark as stark can be. A truth is either impossible to falsify or it isn't. There can be no mixing of the two.

earnest: In the context of the ongoing thread, "Can you ever be certain that you are reasoning correctly?", how can you ever know that a truth is impossible to falsify?

David: If a truth is timeless, it is impossible to falsify. If a truth is purely logical, it is timeless.
But how do you know? You're relying on your own mind to make that judgement, but how do you know that your mind can be trusted?
David: Reality is formless, meaning that it cannot be captured or contained within a finite form.

earnest: I mustn't be understanding you correctly, because at face value that statement seems to me to be flagrantly false. I am a part of reality, and I have a form. A rock is a part of reality, and a rock has form. Without form, there is nothing to be conscious of, and yet we are conscious of things.

David: Water can be molded into an infinite variety of shapes precisely because it has no shape.

earnest: Implicit in that statement is the notion of "the shape of water", which occurs in "infinite varieties". Therefore water has form, therefore reality has form.
Nevermind, actually, I had a different understanding of what "form" meant than you. To me, form is the entire structure - both internal and external, of a thing, whereas to you it seems to be only the external shape.
David Quinn wrote:Reality has both the form of everything and the form of no thing. It is all things, yet no thing in particular. It is formless, yet manifests as everything that we see.
I guess I can twist my mind to see where you're coming from, given what I gather you mean by "form".
David Quinn wrote:a form is simply any portion of the Totality.
Now I understand why you say that form implies finite. As I wrote above, I had a different understanding of what "form" means.
David Quinn wrote:She [Anna] wants to believe in reincarnation, for example, so that everyone who misses out in this life will get a chance in another life. Truth is thus cast away for the sake of satiating a feminine desire.
Have you proved that reincarnation is not true?
David Quinn wrote:The idea that every creature is slowly working their way towards God is a very seductive one in the eyes of a woman.
Have you proved that this scenario is not true?
Laird
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Speaking of proving scenarios: the scenario that there exists a powerful being that created what we know as the Cosmos, and did so for a particular purpose, is - barring certain false philosophical interpretations embedded in it - possible. There's no logical or empirical barrier to its possibility that I can discern. Now, having accepted that this scenario could be true, what's left? To me, nothing. It has no real philosophical import and there's exactly zero evidence for it, so what is there left to do but say, "Yeah, that's possible." and move on?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Iolaus wrote:David,

Your questions are fair enough. I am not sure if I will be able to spend the time to work on them, what with having a lot less time just lately.

Oh well, when you have time .....

Iolaus wrote:
But you don't know the truth of our situation here. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that consciousness survives death. There are other good reasons to think our universe is not the futile one you inhabit.
You mean the nirvanic paradise that is all around us?

To my mind, the evidence for consciousness surviving death falls into the same category as the paranormal - i.e. it's essentially an agenda pushed by flakey people on dubious grounds. Until there is compelling evidence from a credible source, it is nothing more than wishful thinking.

In any case, such a concern only distracts from what is infinitely more important in life - that of opening our minds to enlightened reality in the here and now.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote: Given the truth that a thing cannot possibly exist without its component parts, it becomes logically true that all things cannot exist without their component parts. This is a truth which doesn't require empirical observation to confirm or deny. It is something which can only be affirmed logically.

Oh, but that's not a proof, it's an assertion, and one based on observation of reality.

You want me to prove that a thing cannot exist without its component parts?

earnest_seeker wrote:
David: The difference between an absolute truth and a transitory truth is as stark as stark can be. A truth is either impossible to falsify or it isn't. There can be no mixing of the two.

earnest: In the context of the ongoing thread, "Can you ever be certain that you are reasoning correctly?", how can you ever know that a truth is impossible to falsify?

David: If a truth is timeless, it is impossible to falsify. If a truth is purely logical, it is timeless.
But how do you know?

By looking!

You're relying on your own mind to make that judgement, but how do you know that your mind can be trusted?

I answered this in that other thread - Fundamental Assumptions.

earnest_seeker wrote:
earnest: Implicit in that statement is the notion of "the shape of water", which occurs in "infinite varieties". Therefore water has form, therefore reality has form.
Nevermind, actually, I had a different understanding of what "form" meant than you. To me, form is the entire structure - both internal and external, of a thing, whereas to you it seems to be only the external shape.

It can be either.

earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Reality has both the form of everything and the form of no thing. It is all things, yet no thing in particular. It is formless, yet manifests as everything that we see.
I guess I can twist my mind to see where you're coming from, given what I gather you mean by "form".

Glad to hear it.

earnest_seeker wrote:
David Quinn wrote:She [Anna] wants to believe in reincarnation, for example, so that everyone who misses out in this life will get a chance in another life. Truth is thus cast away for the sake of satiating a feminine desire.
Have you proved that reincarnation is not true?

There is no credible evidence for it. A bunch of people wishing it to be true doesn't constitute evidence.

-
Leyla Shen

Concessions on Truth

Post by Leyla Shen »

Dan Rowden wrote:Speaking of proving scenarios: the scenario that there exists a powerful being that created what we know as the Cosmos, and did so for a particular purpose, is - barring certain false philosophical interpretations embedded in it - possible. There's no logical or empirical barrier to its possibility that I can discern. Now, having accepted that this scenario could be true, what's left? To me, nothing. It has no real philosophical import and there's exactly zero evidence for it, so what is there left to do but say, "Yeah, that's possible." and move on?
What manner of truth is a truth which leaves nothing in its wake? Like, the possible truth of the possibility of a powerful being that created what we know as the Cosmos, et cetera, et cetera. Surely not absolute. And if it ain't absolute, it hasn't anything to do with "god."

In my never-so-humble, most excellent estimation, such a concession on truth only encourages insanity.

[Edit: inclusion of sub-title and consequent afterthought]
Between Suicides
DHodges

Coincidence

Post by DHodges »

Dan Rowden wrote:I'm confused as to how the fact, in itself, of "coincidence" can be explicatory.
"Coincidence" is not an explanation, but rather saying that there is nothing that needs explaining.

Brokenhead believes that there is something in the Wawa story that requires an explanation:
brokenhead wrote:How am I supposed to explain that?
But what exactly is the Wawa story evidence for? Is it evidence of aliens (or the government) projecting thoughts into his head? Does brokenhead, or the man who needed a jump, have psychic powers? Is it karma? Is there some supernatural being intensely interested in car repair? It isn't really evidence of anything in particular; it's just something unusual that happened.

I have no explanation to offer, but I contend that there isn't really anything in the story that requires an explanation. There is just the human desire to have a coherent story.

Short version: shit happens.
Leyla Shen

DHodges finds Buddhahood

Post by Leyla Shen »

Between Suicides
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

DHodges wrote:Short version: shit happens.
You're right, of course. I contend that things that are not shit happen as well, though. This could have been one of Jung's synchronicities, the coincidences that have meaning. I understand that such occurrences invariably have much more meaning to those to whom they happen. Even the most poignant dream loses its potency once it related to someone else. Even though I told you what I think the meaning was, it went right by you. It's understandable. But I guarantee you that when such things happen to you, they will not be so easily dismissed as saying "shit happens." It is the very fact that life consists of shit happening that creates the background against which, for me, an event such as this unmistakably stands out. It has no earth-shaking consequences; for me, however, it meant that the resolution to the personal issue I was contemplating at the time, and praying for help with, that I arrived at in that moment was the path I should indeed take. Which turned out to be the correct one, I should add. This happened a while ago and the issue could have gone a number of ways, most of them bad. It is difficult for the rational mind not to want to ascribe causality to this episode, to explain it, even though you, Dave, think none is required. But again, you are correct, none is required. Very few of the explanations we ever come up with for the things we witness are ever required, yet we produce them, nonetheless.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Brokenhead,

Perhaps by going to the place where a guy needed a jump you avoided going somewhere else and getting in a deadly car accident, or you prevented a murder, or you avoided meeting a gorgeous blonde with a heart-shaped butt who was going to cause you to have a miserable decade including clinical depression and an offspring to support for the next 20 years. This is something that you may never know.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Withered tree Zen. Damn.

David, you're a stone logician - on par with an academic's narcissism.
Dan Rowden

Re: Concessions on Truth

Post by Dan Rowden »

Leyla Shen wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Speaking of proving scenarios: the scenario that there exists a powerful being that created what we know as the Cosmos, and did so for a particular purpose, is - barring certain false philosophical interpretations embedded in it - possible. There's no logical or empirical barrier to its possibility that I can discern. Now, having accepted that this scenario could be true, what's left? To me, nothing. It has no real philosophical import and there's exactly zero evidence for it, so what is there left to do but say, "Yeah, that's possible." and move on?
What manner of truth is a truth which leaves nothing in its wake? Like, the possible truth of the possibility of a powerful being that created what we know as the Cosmos, et cetera, et cetera. Surely not absolute. And if it ain't absolute, it hasn't anything to do with "god."

In my never-so-humble, most excellent estimation, such a concession on truth only encourages insanity.

[Edit: inclusion of sub-title and consequent afterthought]
I don't see any relevance to truth here. Acknowledging the possibility of an idea is simply a rational thing to do. However, I'm essentially saying that such acknowledgment is trivial and ought be made only in passing. The proponent of such an idea would need to offer a compelling case for doing otherwise. I don't see that happening, and frankly can't see how it possibly could.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

David Quinn wrote: In humans, such behaviour would be regarded as evidence of a severe psychiatric illness and worthy of being locked away in an institution. With the cartoon-like god that Christians create, it is somehow transformed into sane, desirable behaviour.
Hear hear
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

It's not logically possible,Dan.What created God?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

double post,
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Ataraxia wrote:It's not logically possible,Dan.What created God?
Proof that your logic falls short. As it must.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

In short, you want to understand God. Understand so you can go explain Him to someone else and feel all good about how clever you are. Good luck.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

brokenhead wrote:In short, you want to understand God. Understand so you can go explain Him to someone else and feel all good about how clever you are. Good luck.
Well you're partly correct--I'm an Ignostic. None of you insane God-botherers has ever successfully articulated what God is to me,so i can neither believe,nor not believe in your sky fairy.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Ataraxia wrote:
brokenhead wrote:In short, you want to understand God. Understand so you can go explain Him to someone else and feel all good about how clever you are. Good luck.
Well you're partly correct--I'm an Ignostic. None of you insane God-botherers has ever successfully articulated what God is to me,so i can neither believe,nor not believe in your sky fairy.
Who's a fairy?
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Dan,
What, you take "I see dead people" as evidence? Why?
You know, that was a movie.
There are other good reasons to think our universe is not the futile one you inhabit.

No there isn't. There can't be because it's an inherently illogical concept.
Which concept?

David,
You mean the nirvanic paradise that is all around us?
But the main impediment to the average person's coming aware of this, is time. And we astoundingly complex intelligences - humans - are in this weird scenario wherein we have this huge potential but no time to realize it. And for some reason, time should be in short supply in this eternity of being.
To my mind, the evidence for consciousness surviving death falls into the same category as the paranormal - i.e. it's essentially an agenda pushed by flakey people on dubious grounds. Until there is compelling evidence from a credible source, it is nothing more than wishful thinking.
But see, why is it that I am the one who found the excellent critique of Susan Blackmore's book and not you? Why does it always seem to come out that way. I have read quite a few serious authors/researchers, and I certainly don't think they are flaky. Sure, some are and I don't bother with them. Is it possible, that while you claim an openness to the possibility, you automatically will categorize anyone who has an offering as a flake? You cover all bases that way, while risking no actual new info that might change you.
In any case, such a concern only distracts from what is infinitely more important in life - that of opening our minds to enlightened reality in the here and now.
Hardly. Altho I do agree that a fundamental error of human spiritual seekers is the mistake of thinking that it is a future blessed condition that they are working toward. It must always happen only now.

For heaven's sake Ataraxia, the word is agnostic, and if you were a true one you'd have a little more respect.