The Problem With Women Today

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Tomas

Re: The Problem With Women Today

Post by Tomas »

Jason wrote:
Shahrazad wrote:No, Carl. It's not just women's fault; it's society's fault. Society places a huge burden on women to be chaste. Whatever woman refuses to play along will be deemed a social outcast, a harlot.
For males it seems that hiding and denying weakness and repressing emotions is considered necessary in order to avoid outcast status.
Yes and No.

Find another (more agreeable) crowd to hang with :-/
Don't run to your death
Nick

Post by Nick »

Alex Jacob wrote:I think this is crappy use of 'logic', friend. It always occurs to me that logic works best within a closed system, such as mathematics, where logical premises can be said to truly exist, or perhaps function is a better word. Right at the start---and I said this many many months ago---there are areas where logic is extremely useful and there are others where logic cannot decide issues. It is my personal belief that the magnitude of life, of phenomenal existence, of the manifestation of this matter and energy in which we also appear, is not reducible to simple logical predicates. One cannot interpret existence, or respond to existence, soley through a logical mindset.
And you arrived at this by your lazy and corrupt use of logic, no doubt. Try using logic correctly before making any more statements about it.
Alex Jacob wrote:This does not mean that logic is not useful in some or many areas. It could also mean, and I take your emphasis (the emphasis of this forum) to mean that it would be a good thing if many more people used 'logic' more often in regard to issues they confront in life, or to their own mental processes, to getting clear about things, deciding things. But, to approach life wholly through the logical mind-set would be a great error. How to go about 'logically proving this?' I don't think I would make the effort, it would be a vain exercise. What I propose is, to me, intuitively obvious. The more a person lives, the more they come to understand that our human logic---for all that it is wonderful, unique and important---is not the only 'tool of consciousness' we have at our disposal.
You're still using a corrupt form of logic as the basis for everything you said here. If you learned how to use logic correctly you wouldn't arrive at these half-baked perspectives on reality and logic. You're affirming logic and simultaneously attempting to deny it.

Alex Jacob wrote:And with that I say that your assertions are subjective and personal, and they should be seen as such by all who consider them.
How subjective and personal is this statement, and how seriously should it be taken?
Alex Jacob wrote:My argument against presenting 'enlightenment' as a clear, discussable category---again this is simply intuitively obvious---is that it is utterly subjective, and therefor is precisely an example of an area where logic cannot operate. There is no way to quantify enlightenment, and there is effectively no way to demostrate it. Obviously, and almost with no 'shadow of doubt', your entire assertion crumbles right here. I do not deny that there are very advanced, admirable and difficult to attain states of mind that could be grouped together in the category of 'enlightened', and I certainly do not deny that it is a noble goal for all of us to try to attain unique perspectives in life that allow us to navigate life with superiority. But, as I have expressed many times, I am very, very suspicious of the pursuit of 'enlightenment' as you are defining it (again, as you own it, possess it and dole it out), and I am thoroughly suspicious of so-called enlightenment teachers, and the whole tradition of so-called 'enlightenment', not only in the West but in the East too.
How enlightened is everything you said here? Did you ever think to double check yourself, or is your shoddy intuition the only thing driving you? Again proof that your life is built on nothing more than puffs of hot air.

Alex Jacob wrote:I am inclined to think that the whole story of Ramakrishna may have been extremely embellished. He did no writing himself and everything about him is revealed in the writing of his disciples. I have always observed a marked tendency in Indians to exaggerate and embellish the saintliness of their gurus and enlightened teachers, such that it is an obvious thing. Yet, there are many very wise things that Ramakrishna said, many valuable and useful things, as I see it. How does one reconcile this possible split or division? My answer is that one does it by grounding oneself in one's own life, in one's own body, and understanding that our experiences come to us in this platform, in this biological, psychological structure. The unity of the platform of existence with the experiences that we have in that structure is the key. Language intervenes and suddenly we are speaking about and considering abstractions. There is only the experience of a person who is alive in a physical body, within a limiting structure, highly imperfect and suseptible to all sorts of disturbances. But fundamentally, and no matter what, one has to take this experience and live it, translate it into daily activities, into service, into work, relationships, what-have-you.
Everything you just said here is necessarily a product of your insufficient use of logic, it really can't be escaped. Every conclusion you arrive at about any particular subject will always be a product of logical connections. The problem is (and maybe this is a manifestation of your love of logic being applied within a closed system) is that you're limiting your use of logic by applying it to assumptions and conclusions that have no relation to the subject you're attempting to reason about. In other words, you're just blowing smoke up people's asses, whether you realize it or not.
Alex Jacob wrote:Clearly, this is not a genuine argument, and no one could ever take it as such (one would be a fool to mistake it for a logical argument).
How genuine and logical is this statement?
Alex Jacob wrote:It is so simple. One is there is no possibility, within philosophy, physiology, biology or psychology that there is a state of no distortion.

How distorted was the state you were in when you made this statement?
Alex Jacob wrote:It is a false category, inadmisable in a philosophical argument. It is an ideal state, an abstract state, that is represented as something attainable 'in reality'. We all know that nothing in 'reality' occurs in this way. Pretty much: end of argument. It is a waste of time to consider it.
What kind of occurrence in reality is this statement a result of?
Alex Jacob wrote:But, there most certainly are---comparatively---moments that could be described as being 'free of delusion'.
So enlightenment is possible for a moment, but it is impossible for such a thing to be sustained consistently over consecutive moments? How many moments free of delusion did you have to string together in order to arrive at this conclusion? Was it a bunch of tiny moments or one BIG moment? The proper response to this, Alex, is to adopt some humility (I know it's a tough one for you) and admit you just plain don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Alex Jacob wrote:Note that language takes over. Language is sort of gross and things become either one or the other, but not both. In life though, many things function together, which is a characteristic of life.
Language sufficed just a moment ago, but when the inconsistencies and irrationalities start to become apparent you shamelessly blame it on language.

You're an arrogant fool, Alex.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Nick Treklis wrote:You're an arrogant fool, Alex.
He is neither. I wonder, Nick, do you actually read what he writes?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

The problem with women today is that too many of them are getting tattoos.
Blair

Post by Blair »

brokenhead wrote:
Nick Treklis wrote:You're an arrogant fool, Alex.
He is neither.
Actually he's both, and a lot more.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

[quote=""prince""]Actually he's both, and a lot more.[/quote]
Is not.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Is too.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Broken,
I wonder, Nick, do you actually read what he writes?
I'd be surprised to find someone who does.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

prince wrote:Is too.
Is not.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Shahrazad wrote:Broken,
I wonder, Nick, do you actually read what he writes?
I'd be surprised to find someone who does.
Shah, I read a lot of what Alex writes. He's hilarious. This is all up for grabs, mind you. If you went back and culled his posts, you would have enough material to last you a lifetime as a stand-up on the Borscht Belt circuit.
Blair

Post by Blair »

He's a dink. and so are you.

End of story.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Am not.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

brokenhead wrote:If you went back and culled his posts, you would have enough material to last you a lifetime as a stand-up on the Borscht Belt circuit.
Would not.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

broken,
Shah, I read a lot of what Alex writes.
Ah, you seem to be admitting that you can't always get through his kilometric ramblings.

I just figured out what Alex's blogs are good for -- punishment. We could give criminals a choice between serving jail time and reading his ramblings. It could solve the prison overpopulation problem that exists in many states.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

[Post-of-Genius No. 781]

[Everyone reads my posts, Shah! Don't be foolish!]

[Just now reading In the Penal Colony by Kafka and Manual del perfecto idiota latinoamericano (me hizo pensar en usted), so your last comment was pretty apropos: Alex as a giant Machine that inscribes the Sentence into the very flesh of his victims! I like it! You are getting a little more subtle! But don't you also think that this is what God or Life does to us? Inscribes us, tattoos us, molds us, invents us through torture? I am only glad that I too can participate in such a Grand Project!].

[In the Penal Colony, Wiki]

[Nietzsche/Kafka (excuse the Blue on Black, ha ha)]

Nick banged the table, upsetting the Tea Cups, and barked:

"You're affirming logic and simultaneously attempting to deny it."

"Everything you just said here is necessarily a product of your insufficient use of logic, it really can't be escaped. Every conclusion you arrive at about any particular subject will always be a product of logical connections."

Although I haven't investigated it, someone awhile back mentioned a philosopher who writes about our mental processes as occuring within their own, closed system. Excuse me for not being able to remember the name of the guy. The gist of it, as I remember, is that our thinking is a kind of system with laws and rules peculiar to it. We apprehend reality, devise thought, organize thought, and employ different reasoning processes, but all of that takes place in a limited and, to a great degree, contrived system. If I understood the gist correctly, the suggestion is that we can take some steps back from our own necessarily dominant and dominating mental system (a closed system) and try to see how it functions.

I personally believe that though the logic of our own mental system is extremely useful, and undeniably relevant ('imprescindible'), the 'system' itself (i.e. reasoning and rational processes) is not the totality of 'ourselves'. It is a system that has been, if you will permit me, constructed within our consciousness. We created it, or in an Aristotelian sense it arose within us as a response to the environment and we then worked it, honed it, but it is not all that we can access (within the totality of consciousness) in order to understand life, or navigate in life, or make decisions about important issues in life. I would, in this connection, refer to Freudian concepts and Jungian concepts of an 'unconscious mind' (the subconscious mind) and Jung's concept of the 'collective unconscious'. What this seems to indicate---though it could mean many different things, and be explained in many different ways, is that there is a greater 'something' that represents a 'whole' of which what we describe as 'ourselves' is just a part. Consciousness functions in us, and makes itself know to us, and as such is distinct from our own mind, or our ego-mind, or the 'system' of mentation that we have constructed.

This view offers a whole group of alternatives to the rigidity of your presentation of the individual, it seems to me. You seem to express a kind of monolithic construct of self.

"So enlightenment is possible for a moment, but it is impossible for such a thing to be sustained consistently over consecutive moments? How many moments free of delusion did you have to string together in order to arrive at this conclusion? Was it a bunch of tiny moments or one BIG moment? The proper response to this, Alex, is to adopt some humility (I know it's a tough one for you) and admit you just plain don't know what the hell you are talking about."

I have already agreed that there are all sorts of different states of mind, from a very crude undeveloped mind (a limited or 'larval' mental system) all the way up to a very full and very advanced mind. All of within the construct of a mental system. All of it within a temporal, conditioned structure and organism. One can describe almost infinite variations of mind, and one can describe exalted, ecstatic states of mind. These are adjectives and hinge in language.

If it serves you to describe an absolutely unconditioned state, there is no one and nothing to inhibit you from doing so, or believing it to 'really exist'. You would not be alone, that's for certain. I rather think it is a whimsical abstraction that arises within a specific thinking system, but it is not a 'real thing', not in the way you take it, use it, defend it, rage on and on about it.

But none of this is really my point, not in the final analysis. What I say is that we recognize and understand 'wisdom' when we come across it in alive people who are living life. Whatever adjective one gives to an experience or a mental stance (attainment, state) is not of tremendous relevance. What seems to matter is what one does with that knowledge, or how one organizes one's living, one's relationships, one's economy, one's relationship to society, family, and all the rest. If I am saying anything, it is that just as we arise within a matrix (our physicality), we really only have one feild of activity: that of Life. I guess it is pretty obvious that I differ from 'your' conclusions about what is wisdom and what one does with it.

It is not really very complex.
Ni ange, ni bête
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Alex Jacob wrote: Whatever adjective one gives to an experience or a mental stance (attainment, state) is not of tremendous relevance.
But what is left when all experience and mental stance seizes to be so relevant? Do you think that's another stance, state of some kind? What if it's not?
What seems to matter is what one does with that knowledge, or how one organizes one's living, one's relationships, one's economy, one's relationship to society, family, and all the rest.
But it has been said over and over again that pure enlightenment itself has no use, nothing is attained. That's one reason it's so hard to arrive at the realization in the first place. Like discovering transparency.

But how about reason itself, or wisdom? Since this lies at the base of all knowing, all reasoning, organizing, relating, economy - it's the base of the fountain where the whole shebang springs forward from. One discards what is not needed; one re-vitalizes the roots, not being overly concerned about branches or leafs for a moment.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Shahrazad wrote:Ah, you seem to be admitting that you can't always get through his kilometric ramblings.
Not at all, my dear. I just don't always start. But when I do, I am sucked in, almost compulsively so. Maybe it's a character flaw, what can I say?
skipair

Post by skipair »

It seems to me that Alex expresses a humorous, exilerating, and sponaneous thinking style - the kind that feels like you're surfing a wave, and the kind I feel I used to have in full as a kid. It is what in NLP they refer to as "uptime", or a state of mind that flows unrestrained and is non-serious. In my experience, it is an absolutely wonderful way to live - being free to express yourself fully, never having any internal emotional blockings, and being able to laugh outloud at even the smallest things when they hit you just right. Maybe this has to do with Alex's (hi) emphasis on the importance of relationships, becuase in having fun with people who are also able to drop into this flow - this free-feeling state of mind - I'm also better able to drop into it also. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

But what has happened to me? It'd be hard to find a better childhood than the one I had, and nothing makes me more sad than experiencing those older days as a faded image, or a dream that now seems to make little impact on me. I've become serious, analytical, and it almost seems as if all my major decisions in life move me further away from happiness, and even seem almost never to be in my own best interest. I am essentially depressed, in "downtime", riding the tail end of a wave that's crashed long ago. What next? Nothing to do, nowhere to go. No purpose, no mission, no great war. Just me doing what I think is right, however ridiculous it might seem.

I like reading the exchanges between Alex and David. It's like my own experience being thrashed back and forth, multiple times a day. Good show.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

I'm glad you're being entertained, broken.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

skipair wrote:It seems to me that Alex expresses a humorous, exilerating, and sponaneous thinking style - the kind that feels like you're surfing a wave, and the kind I feel I used to have in full as a kid. It is what in NLP they refer to as "uptime", or a state of mind that flows unrestrained and is non-serious. In my experience, it is an absolutely wonderful way to live - being free to express yourself fully, never having any internal emotional blockings, and being able to laugh outloud at even the smallest things when they hit you just right. Maybe this has to do with Alex's (hi) emphasis on the importance of relationships, becuase in having fun with people who are also able to drop into this flow - this free-feeling state of mind - I'm also better able to drop into it also. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

But what has happened to me? It'd be hard to find a better childhood than the one I had, and nothing makes me more sad than experiencing those older days as a faded image, or a dream that now seems to make little impact on me. I've become serious, analytical, and it almost seems as if all my major decisions in life move me further away from happiness, and even seem almost never to be in my own best interest. I am essentially depressed, in "downtime", riding the tail end of a wave that's crashed long ago. What next? Nothing to do, nowhere to go. No purpose, no mission, no great war. Just me doing what I think is right, however ridiculous it might seem.

I like reading the exchanges between Alex and David. It's like my own experience being thrashed back and forth, multiple times a day. Good show.
Nicely put. I know that Alex will "spontaneously and exhileratingly" take umbrage at this, but his pleasure is essentially that of a woman's. It is easy to behave in an unrestrained way if you abandon the restraints of logic and intellectual conscience. You can tap into stream-of-consciousness mode and just party, basically.

There are two fundamental ways you can escape the prison of adulthood - either by reverting back into a childish/womanly mode of consciousness in which all depth is abandoned, or by pushing in the opposite direction and perceiving the illusory nature of restraints through wisdom. The first is easier and more attractive to the ego, but is also hollow and banal. The second is a lot harder, but infinitely more rewarding.

As Kierkegaard said, "Faith is spontaneity after reflection".

By contrast, the reversion back to childishness/womanliness is "spontaneity at the expense of reflection." The core form of Alex's objection to logical thought and the valuing of wisdom, what it all boils down to, is that of grinning, prancing and poking the tongue out.

In light of this, that Alex accuses others of having a "peter pan compex" is rather quite touching.

-

[Cue the predictable pavlovian reaction that I have just been engaging in group-think].
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Alex Jacob wrote: "If a person is going to make the self-righteous claim that they are deluded and less-than-fully conscious (as Alex effectively does), then he should accept the conseqences of this - namely, that he isn't qualified to comment on matters that are currently beyond his reach."

I think this is crappy use of 'logic', friend. It always occurs to me that logic works best within a closed system, such as mathematics, where logical premises can be said to truly exist, or perhaps function is a better word. Right at the start---and I said this many many months ago---there are areas where logic is extremely useful and there are others where logic cannot decide issues. It is my personal belief that the magnitude of life, of phenomenal existence, of the manifestation of this matter and energy in which we also appear, is not reducible to simple logical predicates. One cannot interpret existence, or respond to existence, soley through a logical mindset.

There are so many things wrong with this opening passage alone that it is difficult to know where to start. But since these errors go to the heart of your fundamental misunderstanding of logic and its relationship with enlightenment, I should address it in some detail.

Firstly, you need to divest yourself of the idea that using logic to understand reality automatically translates into an attempt to curtail reality, or to interpret it, or to reduce it to a set of logical predicates, or to control it, or anything along those lines.

It's true that some people do attempt to use logic for such a purpose, but it is obviously misguided. As you point out, reality is too vast and magnificent to admit of such curtailing. The very attempt to do this will always create distortions and barriers and can only result in one remaining as far away from reality as ever.

It's a bit like trying to touch the moon's reflection in a lake with a stick. As soon as you try, it disintegrates and vanishes.

You need to think outside the box here. There are many different ways that logic can be used. Trying to curtail reality is just one such use. Creating mathematical and metaphysical systems is another. Engaging in sophistry and self-justification is yet another. These are all common uses of logic, but there are other ways it can be used as well.

Personally, I like to use it as a kind of broom to clear away misconceptions and delusions from the mind. I use its destructive side, as it were, rather than its creative side. In other words, this particular use of logic doesn't involve creating closed systems of thought or boxing reality inside a limited framework, but the very opposite. It involves destroying all closed systems and conceptual boxes, until there is nothing left .... except reality itself.

The core barrier that prevents people from perceiving reality clearly - in its naked state, as it were - is conceptual in nature. The mind cannot perceive the nature of reality if it is continually getting lost in its own fantasies and misconceptions. This is where logic comes into play. Logic can be used, not to tinker with reality itself, but to eliminate the conceptual barriers which exist between an individual and his direct connection with reality.

To use an analogy, it is like using corrective surgery to a person with defective eyes, whose vision is greatly distorted and who is constantly the victim of seeing and responding to things that aren't really there. For example, he might regularly jump in fright at perceived objects that his defective eyes have created for him. Note that the corrective surgery doesn't make any attempt to tinker with the wider world or try to box it in. It merely tries to correct a defect in the person's perceptual apparatus so that he can see and experience the world more clearly, and thus be in a position to live more sanely.

Similarly, logic, when used wisely, can correct the defects in a person's mental apparatus - his deluded habits of unwittingly veering off into fantasies and misconceptions - so that he can finally perceive and enjoy the magnificence of reality in all its fullness, without distortion.

So please, let's hear no more talk about how I am trying to curtail reality, or box it in, or reduce it to a set of predicates, and the like. Nothing could be further from the truth.

(Will you be listening to this with an open-mind and taking it on board? Or will you continue to offer the same misconceptions over and over again? How much of a conscience do you really have?)

Going back to your very first remark above where you commented that my logical observation was "crap", I note that you didn't actually give any specific reasons why you thought it was crap. You simply launched into a condemnation of logic more generally, which looks suspiciously like a smokescreen. So let's look at it again:

There is a fundamental contradiction in your current mentality which centres around you wanting things both ways. In this instance, you want your own consciousness to be both deluded and undeluded at the same time. You want to be be fully conscious and less-than-fully conscious at the same time.

On the one hand, you want everyone to be deluded and less-than-fully conscious - Jesus and Buddha included - as evidenced by your insistence that an objective enlightenment is a pipe-dream. Yet in order to be firm in this insistence, you necessarily have to believe, deep down, that you are not really deluded at all, that your consciousness is so fully-realized that you have been able to reach into every nook and cranny of existence and ferret out all its impossibilities.

This contradiction infuses your thinking on every level and forms part of the conceptual barrier that prevents you from realizing reality directly.

This does not mean that logic is not useful in some or many areas. It could also mean, and I take your emphasis (the emphasis of this forum) to mean that it would be a good thing if many more people used 'logic' more often in regard to issues they confront in life, or to their own mental processes, to getting clear about things, deciding things. But, to approach life wholly through the logical mind-set would be a great error. How to go about 'logically proving this?' I don't think I would make the effort, it would be a vain exercise. What I propose is, to me, intuitively obvious. The more a person lives, the more they come to understand that our human logic---for all that it is wonderful, unique and important---is not the only 'tool of consciousness' we have at our disposal.

No one is saying that logic is the only tool of consciousness at our disposal. That is a fantasy of your own making.

Obviously, there is also intution, altered states, mystical experiences, emotional passion, conversation, books, etc. But logic does have one quality that none of these other things have - namely, it can separate poor quality thinking from first-rate thinking and expose contradictions, which, in the context of understanding reality, is critically important.

In my experience, people only downgrade the important of logic and quality thought-processes because they have things in their mind that they wish to hide. No one who is honest, open-minded and truthful has anything to fear from logic.

And with that I say that your assertions are subjective and personal, and they should be seen as such by all who consider them.

Here is another example of this serious contradiction in your thinking.

On the one hand, you are wanting people's views to be subjective and personal, and yet at the same time you are insisting that everyone should have the objective view that they are subjective and personal.

Or to put it more succinctly, you want my assertions to be subjective and personal and your own to be objective and impersonal.

My argument against presenting 'enlightenment' as a clear, discussable category---again this is simply intuitively obvious---is that it is utterly subjective, and therefor is precisely an example of an area where logic cannot operate. There is no way to quantify enlightenment, and there is effectively no way to demostrate it. Obviously, and almost with no 'shadow of doubt', your entire assertion crumbles right here.
Are you presenting this as a subjective assessment? Or are you asserting it to be objectively true?

Again, the same contradiction arises.

People used to think that it was "intuitively obvious" that the earth was flat. So turning to intuition as a source of verification is problematical, to say the least. Intuition can be a powerful tool, but it is also very unreliable. The reason for this is that it invariably springs from a platform of what a person already holds, mistakenly or otherwise, to be true. To place trust in it would be akin to "building your house on sand", as Jesus put it.

Again, there is no specific reasoning on your part to support your assertion that enlightenment is "utterly subjective". You just offer some more generalities, which again looks like a smokescreen. It is true that no one can quantity enlightenment (whatever that means), but you're way off base in saying that it cannot be demonstrated. Enlightenment can be demonstrated to anyone who is perceptive enough to see it, to those who have "the ears to hear".

Enlightenment is subjective in the sense that only a subjective entity can experience it. At the same time, it is objective in that what is experienced in enlightenment is the Ultimate Truth, the very same Ultimate Truth that all enlightened people experience.

If an alien from another planet were to experience enlightenment, or if a robot in the far distant future were to experience it, then they would have the exact same experience that Jesus and the Buddha had. In all cases, the illusion of self is pierced and the boundlessness of Truth is realized.

I do not deny that there are very advanced, admirable and difficult to attain states of mind that could be grouped together in the category of 'enlightened', and I certainly do not deny that it is a noble goal for all of us to try to attain unique perspectives in life that allow us to navigate life with superiority. But, as I have expressed many times, I am very, very suspicious of the pursuit of 'enlightenment' as you are defining it (again, as you own it, possess it and dole it out), and I am thoroughly suspicious of so-called enlightenment teachers, and the whole tradition of so-called 'enlightenment', not only in the West but in the East too.

Well, it's certainly good to be suspicious of anyone who teaches enlightenment or claims to know something of worth. It is healthy to be sceptical and not accept anything that hasn't been thoroughly tested by one's own reasoning powers. But in your case, your suspiciousness is merely a ploy to not get involved in the spiritual path to begin with. It is an unhealthy cynicism designed to keep you safely within your own foggy, childish comfort zone.

It is true that no one can possess or dole out enlightenment, as you put it. On the other hand, since enlightenment is a specific reality, it is also true that people can either be right or wrong in their views about it.

When a person becomes enlightened, he becomes an expert in it and can tell when another person has false ideas about it. An expert can easily recognize another expert in his field, just as he can easily recognize when people display a lack of expertise concerning it.

I am inclined to think that the whole story of Ramakrishna may have been extremely embellished. He did no writing himself and everything about him is revealed in the writing of his disciples. I have always observed a marked tendency in Indians to exaggerate and embellish the saintliness of their gurus and enlightened teachers, such that it is an obvious thing. Yet, there are many very wise things that Ramakrishna said, many valuable and useful things, as I see it. How does one reconcile this possible split or division? My answer is that one does it by grounding oneself in one's own life, in one's own body, and understanding that our experiences come to us in this platform, in this biological, psychological structure.

Change this to ultimate reality and I would agree with you. It is only by grounding oneself in ultimate reality that one can genuinely separate the wheat from the chaff in the words and actions of others, including gurus.

This ultimate reality incorporates one's body and biological/psycholigical realities, but isn't confined to them. If you simply confine yourself to biological/psychological realities, then you lose the entire spiritual dimension and merely become, at best, a kind of prancing, banal zoologist.

The unity of the platform of existence with the experiences that we have in that structure is the key. Language intervenes and suddenly we are speaking about and considering abstractions. There is only the experience of a person who is alive in a physical body, within a limiting structure, highly imperfect and suseptible to all sorts of disturbances. But fundamentally, and no matter what, one has to take this experience and live it, translate it into daily activities, into service, into work, relationships, what-have-you.

That goes without saying. I've already explained that your imagined dichotomy between the philosophic life and engaging in the world isn't real. But it doesn't suit you to listen to this.

"Being undeluded and fully conscious means perceiving the nature of reality without any mental distortion. Not only is it entirely possible for the human mind to attain this magnificent state of consciousness, but it has been enjoyed and described by wise thinkers for thousands of years. It has been enjoyed by those who have "made every effort to go through that narrow gate", and denied to everyone else. "

Clearly, this is not a genuine argument, and no one could ever take it as such (one would be a fool to mistake it for a logical argument). It is so simple. One is there is no possibility, within philosophy, physiology, biology or psychology that there is a state of no distortion. It is a false category, inadmisable in a philosophical argument. It is an ideal state, an abstract state, that is represented as something attainable 'in reality'. We all know that nothing in 'reality' occurs in this way. Pretty much: end of argument. It is a waste of time to consider it.

Are you presenting this as an undistorted perspective on that matter? Or shall we just dismiss it as just another piece of distortion?

Once again, the contradiction arises.

You don't have any understanding of these deeper matters, but you are too arrogant and foolish to recognize it. One of the main reasons for this lack of understanding is that you haven't resolved these internal contradictions in your own thinking. The kind of undistorted perception that I talk about is not how you currently imagine it to be, and the objections you present here (as usual, without any specific reasonings attached) have no bearing on it.

-
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

David Quinn wrote:Enlightenment is subjective in the sense that only a subjective entity can experience it.
If the entity is defined as subjective also the experience will be shaped by that same subjective "being" and especially the expressions coming out of such entity have then to be subjective, limited, broken as well.

The question naturally arises where exactly the objective, universal element is hiding here.

Alex is very concerned about the unavoidable limitations of one person's ability to express or experience truth. And no need to say, this is the biggest problem, the most common mistake people make: to take a subjective element in as absolute. Often without realizing they're doing that, being unconscious really. Logic is capable of destroying that particular delusion. The absolute presents itself in literary everything or nothing at all.
Loki

Post by Loki »

I think I understood this latest post of yours, but is english your first language, Diebert? You're obviously a very bright guy, but I almost always find your sentences awkward and opaque.

It could be because you are speaking from a very lofty place, while I am down too low.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Loki wrote:I think I understood this latest post of yours, but is english your first language, Diebert? You're obviously a very bright guy, but I almost always find your sentences awkward and opaque.
I find his writing excellent even if English is his first language, which I believe it isn't.
It could be because you are speaking from a very lofty place, while I am down too low.
Ironically the location listed under his avatar is "Lowlands."
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Logic is capable of destroying that particular delusion. The absolute presents itself in literary everything or nothing at all.
It’s that simple truth that Alex and his ilk cannot afford to take on board, because it would destroy their fantasy worlds, such as the one Alex described: “My answer is that one does it by grounding oneself in one's own life, in one's own body, and understanding that our experiences come to us in this platform, in this biological, psychological structure”. That’s just grasping without any thought as to whether or not any of it is true. It’s “grasping” in the same way people believe in angles, fairies, gurus, unicorns, and godheads. It's cowardice.