A quick question for the QRS...

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
1otherS

Re: A quick question for the QRS...

Post by 1otherS »

1otherS wrote:-The poetry in relativity isn't equivalent to the poetry in a dog's fucking. I sincerely hope you agree with me on this, Dan...
Dan Rowden
Sorry, I don't.

1otherS
I think you make a huge error of intellectual arrogance here. This statement of yours is just nihilism.
-There needs to be a genuine co-operation between empiricists and metaphysicists.
Dan Rowden
In what sense?

1otherS
Empiricists testing metaphysicists' ideas and vice versa.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

rebecca702 wrote:
Loki wrote:Rebecca, what are your reasons for equating inquisitive, creative people with God? Why are they anymore 'God' than an economist who happens to subscribe to utilitarianism as a philosophical outlook?
Whoa, I never equated people with "God"... what I meant by "God is not a utilitarian" is that the Truth stands apart from whatever measly goals humans might have in mind. As in, people hoping to find Truth in order to save the world only creates a hell of a lot of deluded Messiahs, and there are plenty of those already.

I like the quote by Thoreau, "If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life."
Good one.

or

"Beware of all enterprises that require a new set of clothes."
1otherS

Post by 1otherS »

Ataraxia wrote:
rebecca702 wrote:
Loki wrote:Rebecca, what are your reasons for equating inquisitive, creative people with God? Why are they anymore 'God' than an economist who happens to subscribe to utilitarianism as a philosophical outlook?
Whoa, I never equated people with "God"... what I meant by "God is not a utilitarian" is that the Truth stands apart from whatever measly goals humans might have in mind. As in, people hoping to find Truth in order to save the world only creates a hell of a lot of deluded Messiahs, and there are plenty of those already.

I like the quote by Thoreau, "If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life."
Good one.

or

"Beware of all enterprises that require a new set of clothes."
Haha, so true.
Loki

Post by Loki »

rebecca702 wrote:
Whoa, I never equated people with "God"... what I meant by "God is not a utilitarian" is that the Truth stands apart from whatever measly goals humans might have in mind.
So you conceive of God as the non-conscious matter that we discover through science and philosophy?
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

Loki wrote:
rebecca702 wrote:
Whoa, I never equated people with "God"... what I meant by "God is not a utilitarian" is that the Truth stands apart from whatever measly goals humans might have in mind.
So you conceive of God as the non-conscious matter that we discover through science and philosophy?
Frankly, I don't know what that even means. Non-conscious matter?

Let me say that I would normally use a word like Truth or Tao, but in this case I anthropomorphized it with "God".

Do you conceive of God as the non-conscious matter that we discover through science and philosophy?

Maybe you can help me get a better idea of what you are asking me, what you are getting at.
1otherS

Post by 1otherS »

Loki wrote:
rebecca702 wrote:
Why call it God when it's really science and philosophy?
Loki

Post by Loki »

Rebecca initially wrote:

Throughout history, most of the big scientific breakthroughs were made by people who had no idea (and little interest) in what ways their work would practically affect innovation/manufacturing etc. They were simply driven to find the truth. They weren't cooking up ideas on how this new understanding of matter would lead to better and better toasters.

Loki: Rebecca, what are your reasons for equating inquisitive, creative people with God? Why are they anymore 'God' than an economist who happens to subscribe to utilitarianism as a philosophical outlook?

Rebecca: Whoa, I never equated people with "God"... what I meant by "God is not a utilitarian" is that the Truth stands apart from whatever measly goals humans might have in mind.

Loki: So you conceive of God as the non-conscious matter that we discover through science and philosophy?

Becca: Frankly, I don't know what that even means. Non-conscious matter?

Let me say that I would normally use a word like Truth or Tao, but in this case I anthropomorphized it with "God".

Do you conceive of God as the non-conscious matter that we discover through science and philosophy?

Maybe you can help me get a better idea of what you are asking me, what you are getting at.
Ok, just tell me, what do you equate God with? What is his identity? It sounded to me like you equated God with either people searching for truth, or, you equate god with the scientific or philosophical discoveries that seekers make.

Am I close?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It seemed to me that she was equating "God" with capital "T" Truth and saying that the mundane workings of science don't have any necessary relationship to that.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Then why did she start off talking about 'scientific breakthroughs' ? She's not talking philosophy, she's talking about scientific discoveries.
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

Loki wrote:Ok, just tell me, what do you equate God with? What is his identity? It sounded to me like you equated God with either people searching for truth, or, you equate god with the scientific or philosophical discoveries that seekers make.

Am I close?
I am equating "God" with "Truth" and saying that people who are looking for ways to use the truth are not dealing with this absolute Truth. I'm sure there is a much better way to say this.

People are always trying to hijack Truth to serve their own selfish ends. Change that word to "God" and you see what I mean by looking at all the world's religions. I'm not saying any of this is evil or bad, I'm just saying that people who are searching for Truth aren't looking for ways to use it.
Dan Rowden wrote:It seemed to me that she was equating "God" with capital "T" Truth and saying that the mundane workings of science don't have any necessary relationship to that.
Yes. That was what I was trying to say. It is the difference between a level of intelligence that strives for better ways to do things versus a level of intelligence that uses abstract thought to come to an ultimate understanding.
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

Loki wrote:Then why did she start off talking about 'scientific breakthroughs' ? She's not talking philosophy, she's talking about scientific discoveries.
I was giving an example.

Sorry to not have been more clear.