Jed

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Iolaus

Re: Jed

Post by Iolaus »

David,
She has already made up her mind that knowledge cannot be had and that anyone who thinks he possesses knowledge is automatically deluded. Her mind is as shut as the New Age people she criticizes.
Unfortunately, I think this is the worst of the three books. He has made up one unbelievable character too many. It's his teaching tool, but it got irritating. I'm sure he says lots of great things in this book, but for me it was mostly repeat and I couldn't say why he wrote it.

The thing she was talking about is our existential lack of knowledge. It isn't really different than what has been said here. What can be known for sure? I exist. That's pretty much it, with a couple of others that go along with it, such as experiences are happening.

I think that seeing this situation for what it is is important.

One thing that bothered me about this particular passage is when Brett asks him if he gets a good feeling when someone makes it (enlightenment) and he says, not really. But in his first book he was quite clear that he did.

He seems slightly depressed in this book. At loose ends.

Is it true that you lack emotions and that you lacked them before enlightenment as well as after?
Truth is a pathless land.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Unidian,

I think the conversation here about emotion and will are too simplistic, and that some ideals are being upheld here that might not be correct, but wished for.

It seems to me that humans are composite beings, and whether or not there is no self at the core does not change the fact. Therefore, it makes sense to me that a person might watch the antics of the ego-personality from a detached vantage point. There is indeed more than one of us "in here." For most people, ego is in the drivers seat, and there is very little insight about it. In that context, here is a zen quote I recently found that is quite apt:

Conquering the passions is not nirvana,
Regarding them as no affair of yours, that is nirvana.

Touche!

And its funny, too.

I would consider giving you Jed's 3rd book, and I would also consider mailing you one of the others, if you mailed it back.
Truth is a pathless land.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Maestro,
I am sure a psychologist will also diagnose McKenna as suffering from a cocktail of disorders, which would include this one.
Doubtful. McKenna apparently socializes and has certain emotional responses, according to the excerpts I've seen.

Look, the point isn't to bash David for being diagnosed with a PD. I am diagnosed with disorders as well and would have no place doing that. Personally, I think David is at McKenna's "human adult" stage, which is rare enough and quite an accomplishment. However, David isn't satisfied with that. He has mistaken his personality disorder for full enlightenment. In the QRS version of full enlightenment, emotions do not arise. David notices he has no emotions and concludes he must be fully enlightened, even though SPD people routinely have constricted emotional response.

Same goes for the rest of it. Symptoms of a well-known psychiatric disorder mistaken for spiritual mastery. David is a highly intelligent guy who is good with words and able to convince other people that his personality disorder is synonymous with spiritual realization. David has some attainment, no doubt, but he is about as much of a "pure self-realized man" as Sidarthur is - and the nature of their shared delusions of grandeur is quite similar.

Let us all pray to the Sacred Frozen Frog of Relentless Complete Enlightenment.
I live in a tub.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Iolaus,
Yes. That's exactly what I'm getting at.

Chuang Tzu said something similar - that we are not to "conquer" the emotions (how silly) but to simply observe them like passing clouds. As for conquering, killing, destroying, or wiping out the ego, that's an awful lot of effort expended on a fiction that doesn't even exist, eh? Don Quixote and Barney Fife come to mind...
I would consider giving you Jed's 3rd book, and I would also consider mailing you one of the others, if you mailed it back.
Really? How generous. I'll think about it and I may contact you.
I live in a tub.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Iolaus,
I love it.

Unidian,
Let us all pray to the Sacred Frozen Frog of Relentless Complete Enlightenment.
By any chance, could this be Sid's frog?
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Yep, it's one and the same. Sid's Sacred Power Frog. LOL.
I live in a tub.
DivineIntercourse

Post by DivineIntercourse »

I've never met or known a schizophrenic who appeared the least bit unemotional.
Maybe you haven't met any authentic schizophrenics? How would you know, you're not inside the individual's head. I try to act as normal as possible when I go out, because I've developed a phobia of being found out as someone that has something wrong with their brain. I've seen videos of people with schizophrenia and they don't appear normal to me. I definitely don't want to give out the same impression to others.
I read your posts.
Again, how do you know that I don't control my emotions? You're not here with me so you wouldn't know. However, that's not to say that I'm making shit up, rather it's like this: I feel what I want to feel whenever I want to feel it. I have control. Emotions can be controlled and I believe this is something that every emotionally-matured adult does. There is a time and a place for all these things (yes, even stupidity -- I mean, why not? Have you ever not gotten drunk at a bar, and... ? I know that you're not a robot!).
Most of us can control the level of an emotion once it's entered conscious awareness, but this is not the same as controlling emotions, per se. It is just using the conscious mind to suppress them a little.
I feel that we can all learn to control our emotions in the same way that we can learn to control our thoughts. Why not?
Nature has control over my thoughts.
OK, but you're part of nature. I imagine that you seem to think is that you can control your thoughts better then you can control your emotions -- Or rather, you work on not getting emotional. In any case, I wouldn't know. I only know that which you let me know about yourself.
I don't see what separation you're talking about.
The separation between emotions and thoughts. Why not have both, if both can be controlled?
What has that got to do with the nature of an emotional person?
That's not fair! For one: because we can then take an example of some psychopath (possibly the rapist) and ask the same thing: what is the nature of a thoughtful person? Your response might be something like: but a wise thoughtful person wouldn't do such a thing. I agree. But then I could say that a wise emotional person wouldn't lose control of their emotions. I'm not sure that you can disprove this, but then again, maybe you really can move objects with your mind!:)
Buddha was batshit!
Ha-ha!
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Ataraxia wrote:
David Quinn wrote:
Unidian wrote:When the ego is abandoned and no longer invested with belief, its antics can be observed without being acted upon. For example, my ego is cautioning me against making this post because someone might think I am bullshitting or "posing as enlightened."

That's because, deep down, you already think this yourself.
Given that he stated it,at least in part,that's self evident.

But he didn't state it. He stated something different - namely, that he was worried about appearing like a phoney to other people. That's an extra layer of vanity on top of the original discretion.

Being worried about appearing like a phoney can only come about if one already believes deep down that one is a phoney. And that in turn comes about when one's understanding is fragile and uncertain.

In the 'purely self-realized' man where would be the urge to,say,post this response? What is the "pay-off" for the fully enlightened man to do anything?Saying that he would be caused to;or he's is just reflecting the nature of the infinite;or 'Inshallah' doesn't seem to cover it.

One would still need to chop wood, carry water to keep the body alive, but where does the will-to-proselytize come from?
A dislike of ignorance, irrationality, insanity, etc.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Unidian wrote:
Unidian: When the ego is abandoned and no longer invested with belief, its antics can be observed without being acted upon. For example, my ego is cautioning me against making this post because someone might think I am bullshitting or "posing as enlightened."

DQ: That's because, deep down, you already think this yourself.
Yeah, that's what I said. The ego is concerned that I will be seen that way. And if the ego is concerned that it is actually true, what difference would that make? Egotistical concerns are egotistical concerns.

I don't buy your trick of trying to separate yourself from your ego and then putting the blame onto it for all of your indiscretions and faults. It might make your isolated self seem pure and faultless, but all it does is create a contrived schizm inside you and undermine any tendancy you might have to take responsibility for your actions.

For example, if the schizm wasn't there, instead of chuckling tolerantly at the "ego" for "its" vain concerns about not wanting to appear like a phoney, you might be more motivated to put an end to phoniness altogether.

-
maestro

Post by maestro »

Unidian wrote:Doubtful. McKenna apparently socializes and has certain emotional responses, according to the excerpts I've seen.
Well McKenna says he does not even think he is a human on planet, earth. He believes most people are crazy except him. He thinks family career love etc are nutty pursuits. At the start of this third book he tells a gathering of humanists that it would be better for California to have a great disaster so that people wake up from their slumber, and see the true face of humanity.

In my opinion psychiatry seeks to make people fit in well with the society. A person like McKenna would be indeed given a diagnosis of some form or the other, and a theory of why he became that way. And they would indeed like him to become a productive and well adjusted member of the society.

The point I was making is that David should not be classified as having a disorder mainly because his mental faculties are not impaired, as would the case say in schizophrenia.
DivineIntercourse

Post by DivineIntercourse »

David wrote:I don't buy your trick of trying to separate yourself from your ego and then putting the blame onto it for all of your indiscretions and faults.
David, if I decide to work through a mathematics problem – is it consciousness without the ego that's trying to get the answer or is it I (the ego)? How are you separating the two? Surely, they are connected in that consciousness creates the ego for practical purposes, but there is no awareness of the ego when I'm thinking. I'm not thinking about myself, but rather about the issues at hand, etc. Also, is the unawareness of the ego referred to as unconsciousness, and by the same token, consciousness is what is referred to when the ego can be distinguished from simply being... unselfish? So, in a way, it's like a battle between ourselves and... nature?
It might make your isolated self seem pure and faultless
We all have regrets, so what's wrong with the above. It seems innocent enough and useful for the betterment of ourselves.
For example, if the schizm wasn't there, instead of chuckling tolerantly at the "ego" for "its" vain concerns about not wanting to appear like a phoney, you might be more motivated to put an end to phoniness altogether.
Maybe the schizm is the solution to the phoniness? Maybe if we create an ideal self, then we'll be more likely to become that ideal self – in other words, improve upon ourselves to become better people?
A dislike of ignorance, irrationality, insanity, etc.
So do I. I partly dislike myself (or things about myself) and this is why I have created for myself an alter-ego type persona – what do you think of this?
maestro wrote:In my opinion psychiatry seeks to make people fit in well with the society.
That's partly true.
The point I was making is that David should not be classified as having a disorder mainly because his mental faculties are not impaired, as would the case say in schizophrenia.
Are you schizophrenic?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Iolaus wrote:David,
She has already made up her mind that knowledge cannot be had and that anyone who thinks he possesses knowledge is automatically deluded. Her mind is as shut as the New Age people she criticizes.
Unfortunately, I think this is the worst of the three books. He has made up one unbelievable character too many. It's his teaching tool, but it got irritating. I'm sure he says lots of great things in this book, but for me it was mostly repeat and I couldn't say why he wrote it.

The thing she was talking about is our existential lack of knowledge. It isn't really different than what has been said here. What can be known for sure? I exist. That's pretty much it, with a couple of others that go along with it, such as experiences are happening.

That's just scratching the surface. The things that can known for certain are infinite in number. Most are trivial, but some cut close to the bone.

Is it true that you lack emotions and that you lacked them before enlightenment as well as after?
I don't lack emotions, but they are relatively weak. They were stronger in the past and now they are weaker. Understanding the illusory nature of all things does that to a person.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

DivineIntercourse wrote:
David wrote:I don't buy your trick of trying to separate yourself from your ego and then putting the blame onto it for all of your indiscretions and faults.
David, if I decide to work through a mathematics problem – is it consciousness without the ego that's trying to get the answer or is it I (the ego)? How are you separating the two?

It depends on whether the person doing the math is egotistical or wise.

For example, if one is doing it because one wants to win a Noble Prize or because the problem is causing frustration, then the resolution of it will be egotistically motivated.

Surely, they are connected in that consciousness creates the ego for practical purposes, but there is no awareness of the ego when I'm thinking. I'm not thinking about myself, but rather about the issues at hand, etc.

When a man rapes an innocent child, he is not thinking about his ego either.

Also, is the unawareness of the ego referred to as unconsciousness, and by the same token, consciousness is what is referred to when the ego can be distinguished from simply being... unselfish? So, in a way, it's like a battle between ourselves and... nature?

Unconsciousnesss can indeed be summed up as unawareness of the ego. Only Buddhas really know what the ego is and what it means to live without it.

Maybe the schizm is the solution to the phoniness? Maybe if we create an ideal self, then we'll be more likely to become that ideal self – in other words, improve upon ourselves to become better people?

That's fine, so long as you are in control of the process. It is good to visualize the sort of person you want to be and aspire towards it. Creating that kind of schizm is natural for the mind that seeks improvement.

However, as with any endeavour, it is important not to deceive oneself - for example, imagining that the self one has isolated from one's ego is not part of the ego as well.

-
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

Thanks David & Dan for responding to my post about the Brett character.

David,
David Quinn wrote:
Iolaus wrote:David,

That's just scratching the surface. The things that can known for certain are infinite in number. Most are trivial, but some cut close to the bone.
So here is possibly one of the main junctures where you and Jed differ in method or understanding. Jed basically tries to show that there is ultimately only one thing to know (the only thing I know is that I know nothing) - and everything beyond that belongs to the dreamscape (which is still fun and "useful" information to have.)... now, maybe this goes back to the differing definitions of "to know." However it seems to me that Jed tries to get through all this knowledge, and get to the knowledge that cuts RIGHT TO the bone. And then spends a whole book (his 3rd) hacking apart people's belief structures that are not based on this highest knowledge. And creating rude and abrasive characters to do it for him, etc.

So maybe you are saying this is totally unnecessary? What I have gotten from your and Dan's posts thus far is that once you get beyond your falseness, the possibilities for knowledge are, well, infinite. But you've got to get the heart of things and grasp this most essential "knowledge" first.

Am I making any sense? I guess what I am trying to ask is, you can say "the things that can known for certain are infinite" ONLY because you have found the ultimate knowledge for yourself, first, right? Like, Know Yourself first, and then you can start living and knowing?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

rebecca702 wrote:
David Quinn wrote: That's just scratching the surface. The things that can known for certain are infinite in number. Most are trivial, but some cut close to the bone.
So here is possibly one of the main junctures where you and Jed differ in method or understanding. Jed basically tries to show that there is ultimately only one thing to know (the only thing I know is that I know nothing) - and everything beyond that belongs to the dreamscape (which is still fun and "useful" information to have.)...

It depends on what is meant by this "not knowing". Does it arise from an understanding of one's true nature? Or is it the more common and limited view which arises out of the postmodernist viewpoint?

A lot of people already believe they know nothing. A good scientist will tell you that he knows nothing, that all he ever deals with are hypothesies and provisional truths. Most academics are like this as well. More generally, as people grow older they tend to become less convinced of the things they previously held to be irrefutable. "The older I grow, the less I know", is a common refrain.

None of this has anything to do with wisdom, although it can reflect above average intelligence.

The kind of unknowing associated with wisdom comes from understanding the illusory nature of all things. The realization that nothing really exists, that nothing can ever present itself in an objective manner, that all existence is relative in nature, that Nature is without beginning and end, etc - it is these truths which make the absolute knowledge of things impossible. One realizes in these truths that there are literally no objective things to know.

I haven't seen enough of McKenna's work to determine which camp he falls in. At the moment, I'm getting mixed messages from him - which isn't a good sign.

now, maybe this goes back to the differing definitions of "to know." However it seems to me that Jed tries to get through all this knowledge, and get to the knowledge that cuts RIGHT TO the bone. And then spends a whole book (his 3rd) hacking apart people's belief structures that are not based on this highest knowledge. And creating rude and abrasive characters to do it for him, etc.
I'm finding his attempts to do this rather unskilful and clumsy.

He doesn't seem to realize that postmodernism already dominates the cultural landscape and that his postmodernist-flavoured attempts to break down people's beliefs are being swallowed up by this. Most people within spiritual/New Age communities are already convinced that truth can't be known and that all knowledge is delusional, so in a sense he is already preaching to the converted. He is actually confirming basic New Age sentiment, rather than opposing it.

The root problem is that he doesn't seem to be providing people with the necessary tools to break out of the postmodernist mindset. Quite the reverse, he seems to be entrenching them in it.

So maybe you are saying this is totally unnecessary? What I have gotten from your and Dan's posts thus far is that once you get beyond your falseness, the possibilities for knowledge are, well, infinite. But you've got to get the heart of things and grasp this most essential "knowledge" first.

Am I making any sense? I guess what I am trying to ask is, you can say "the things that can known for certain are infinite" ONLY because you have found the ultimate knowledge for yourself, first, right? Like, Know Yourself first, and then you can start living and knowing?
There are countless things which can be known for certain, even when you're not enlightened.

1+1=2, for example. 2+3=5. Experiences are happening. A=A. All things are causally-created. All things are relative. And so on. The skill of philosophy is knowing how to uncover those certainties which underlie all things, including every aspect of your life, and point to your true nature.

-
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Put very simply, the assertion that you know - and can know - nothing has to be based in a comprehension of reality; in short, stuff you know about reality.

It doesn't mean a thing to say you don't know anything.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

My response to the McKenna quotes posted by Rebecca:
Human Childhood is the ego-bound state. It is, in human children, a healthy and natural state. In human adults, however, it's a hideous affliction. The only way such an affliction could go undetected and unremedied is if everyone were equally afflicted, which is exactly the case.
I frankly don't agree that the ego-bound state in children is "healthy and natural". At what exact point does it become unhealthy and unnatural? It is simply an inevitable state given the natural arising of introspective consciousness. Ego develops in concert with this introspective capacity. When this development is fully realised and the ego fully formed, then the problems associated with it become clearer. But I don't think it makes too much sense to say that the causes of a disease are healthy.
Most human beings cease to develop at around the age of ten or twelve. The average seventy year-old is often a ten year-old with sixty years time-in-grade. Our societies are of, by, and for Human Children, which explains the self-perpetuating nature of this ghoulish malady, as well as most of the silliness we see in the world.
I agree with this. Once one's introspective nature and basic reasoning ability is properly developed, all there is left is experience and the heuristic tools we employ to facilitate life. Most people don't develop beyond the age of 12. They just become skillful children. Pretty scary, really.
For a person to transition into Human Adulthood at an appropriate developmental age would require an actual rite of passage, rather than a merely symbolic ceremony as is sometimes observed, but it would take much more than that. It would require a society of Human Adults in which to occur, so it won't. That's the bad news. For a person to transition into Human Adulthood at an inappropriate developmental age, however, can and does occur. That's the good news. The individual who wants to achieve change and growth in his own life, who wants to move beyond the state of developmental retardation imposed by a developmentally retarded society, can probably do so.
The fact that they can recognise the need means they have already transitioned to some extent. Most teenagers spend a few years hovering on the precipice of this transition, but have no real framework from which to go forward, and absolutely no encouragement from the adult world which does all it can to circumvent this dynamic and force the kid into conventional "maturity". In my opinion most men have at least some sense of this (most men seem to express a sort of quiet guilt over their lives) but are too invested in the bullshit to be able to openly admit to it or act on it. They're usually too busy developing rationalisations for their own failure, or being lured by Woman.
This may sound a little weird, but your ego is smarter than you, way smarter, and if you don't recognize that and respect it, you stand very little chance against it. I've seen many very insightful books by very brainy men and women who were experts on the subject of ego transcendence but who, I could easily tell, had not transcended their own egos. The spiritual/religious marketplace, which should be dedicated entirely to ministering to this all-important developmental advent is, in fact, arrayed almost entirely against it.
That's because the books and teachings are written from scripts rather than personal experience. It's only that personal experience that allows one to recognise the pitfalls and how and where one might be falling into them. A teacher like Adyashanti, for example, seems utterly oblivious to the serious failing of his in continually using the term "love" in his satsangs. This is either calculated or unconscious; either way, it's foolish, especially as most of his audience tends to be female.
Ego doesn't need to be killed because it was never really alive. You don't have to destroy your false self because it's not real, which is really the whole point. It's just a character we play, and what needs to be killed is that part of us that identifies with the character. Once that's done--really done, and it can take years--then you can wear the costume and play the character as it suits you to do so, now in the character but not of the character.
Ego is very much alive. If it wasn't, no-one would be talking about it. Illusions and the delusions built from them are very real. Many a man has died of thirst chasing the water shimmering in the distance. The false self does have to be destroyed if the true self is to manifest. It doesn't help to say we have to kill the false identification - but not the false self - when that false identification is the false self!
The difference between Adulthood and Enlightenment is that the former is awakening within the dreamstate and the latter is awakening from it. Shallow, early-stage Adulthood is often mistaken for, and sold as, Spiritual Enlightenment, but it's not. It's just the first real glimpse of life, the death/rebirth transition from womb to world.
This is where his idea of adulthood seems like the Buddhist notion of being reborn in the human realm. It's the first genuine step into consciousness.
The most important distinction to be made between these two states is that Human Adulthood makes sense and Enlightenment doesn't.
I frankly don't like this aspect of McKenna's rhetoric. It's bullshit, basically. Enlightenment is the natural and necessary fulfillment or culmination of Adulthood. If it isn't, then adulthood is abortive. Contrary to what he states, it's adulthood that doesn't make sense. There's no sense to awakening at all if one doesn't fully awaken. How could one satisfactorily rest in adulthood, when by definition one knows that's not all there is?
The main benefit most spiritually inclined people can derive from having a clear understanding of what it really means to be truth-realized is not so they can achieve it, but so they can dispense with it and reset their spiritual sights on something worthier than enlightenment, which is literally, the biggest nothing of all time.
This makes me think McKenna actually doesn't know what enlightenment is and has never attained it. No-one that has would characterise it as nothing.
Human Adulthood is what everyone really wants, not truth or enlightenment. This is where you find all the good stuff and a lot less of the bad.
Is this valid? It can't be valid, can it, if adulthood means having at least some appreciation for what it means to be awakened, because one will always know one is not. This may be satisfactory for anyone who simply wants to be able to manage and minimise their suffering, but not for one who suffers for the very fact of their ignorance or incomplete awakening. Many people may and do rest in this adulthood, but that's only because all they ever wanted was to dispense with the forms of falsity that deprived them of enjoyment of life. The problem is, as I've said, an adult human would know this. One would have to do a good job or forgetting that to really enjoy their adulthood.
You have to grow into it, of course, continue to develop and mature, learn and expand, but that's where all the perks are; profound and abiding contentment, the ability to manifest desires and shape events, the ability to do less and accomplish more, find your true calling, connect with your higher self, never stub another toe, and so on.
Highly delusional religious people can do all this, too. Plus, they don't have the problem of knowing it's still all bullshit.
And Human Adulthood is what everyone, spiritual or not, religious or not, atheist or not, should be setting their sights on. This is what I've come to understand in my years of teaching and writing. If I were to give advice, I would recommend Adulthood to everyone and Enlightenment to no one.
That might be reasonable if taken in the sense that such adulthood is necessary to have a decent perspective of the issues at hand, and therefore of the path itself. But it doesn't seem to me to be saying much more than: I'd recommend that people learn to walk before they try to run.
Human Adulthood is life-positive, Enlightenment is life-negative.
Ok, this is 100% drivel. This statement, taken alone, is almost enough for me to dismiss McKenna outright. People will read so much that is false into that, it's positively stupid to have said it.
Human Adulthood is the real prize. Spiritual Enlightenment is pointless and meaningless, and should only be sought by those who have absolutely no choice in the matter.
No-one has any choice in any matter, so this observation is redundant.
maestro

Post by maestro »

If anybody decides to read Jed, try to read his second or third books rather than the first.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

His books are actually available as E-Books now, so it may be possible to Torrent them, if you're into that sort of thing...
Jason

Post by Jason »

Dan Rowden wrote:It doesn't mean a thing to say you don't know anything.
What does it mean then?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

What, to know something?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Ugggggghhhhh, it was a joke, and/or a puzzle if you like. The correct answer was a chuckle, followed by "not a thing."
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Oh, I see, the kind of joke where the punchline is the same as the preamble. Must have left my sense of humour in my other pants.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

I so would love to love the Jed material. I would even settle for cautious support of it. Everybody here seems to be really digging it. I'm just feeling blah, like it's a retread of so much else I've read, and written. I wish I was on board, I really do. I mean, seven pages of replies, I'm feeling quite left out. I do hope the Jed books are helping a lot of people in the world. There's got to be some good in them.

While I'm at it, I'm also feeling left out at the mighty Jehu thread. Twenty-three pages of staunch doctrine of the most esoteric kind, what's not to respect and cherish in that; deep and dry as the Dead Sea Scrolls, delivered through a timeless unmoving mask. I should be on my knees in front of the guy, the entity. We all should. Jed and Jehu. And Jesus. Invoking the 'J' obviously we better be ready to deal.
Good Citizen Carl
Jason

Post by Jason »

There's truth in it, and I wanna laugh, but I'm just not quite getting there. Probably would have been funnier in person. Mildly amusing C+.