Why do some geniuses have mental disorders?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Mr.Shadow

Why do some geniuses have mental disorders?

Post by Mr.Shadow »

I am asking this question not to offend anyone whatsoever.
My cousin is this way and he is amazingly smart but lacks many social skills.
I know this may be a touchy subject for some maybe.
I just wish to know why this is a common thing.
A while back I read the book "Its A Beautiful Mind".
John Nash Jr. is an amazing man if you have not read it you should.
Thanks everyone for your help in this matter.

I asked the question then I found this link.
http://people.howstuffworks.com/mad-genius.htm
messenger-of-God

Re: Why do some geniuses have mental disorders?

Post by messenger-of-God »

The smarter the genius, the odder the genius

Genius is distinguished, set apart from the norm. The genius tolerates at a high level,
the mediocre-minded bores them, so the genius appears to be listening to the insufferable
bore, while listening to his own thoughts, blocking out noise.

Then answers with a suitable reply, enough to sate a pea-brain.

People are strange, no matter if they be genius or not, the difference is the level of intelligence
in their strangeness. The odder a person is the more likelyhood he is brilliant.

The brilliant know they are strange, they are highly aware of their surroundings, and those observing
them. They are constantly reading, or thinking, devising plans, having internal conversations with themselves,
or pacing the floor like mad-men. The more highly brilliant-- like the genius, is highly aware, and has learned to master
his oddness, through controlling it, with his perfect mind.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

I say one of the main reasons is that they are surrounded by a glut of moronic idiot fools who cannot understand them and their advanced ways of thinking. The pressure can be overwhelming and I have little doubt that it is because of this social pressure that many of them develop mental disorders. That's my take on the situation, for what it's worth.

Consider the Britney Spears situation. The paparazzi kept hounding her and hounding her and hounding her determined to cause strife in her marriage and break it up because it would make for a great tabloid story. They kept pushing and pushing and pushing and Britney finally came apart by the proverbial seams. I don't think any of us would do better under that kind of stress.

Now, of course, the paparazzi wants to blame Britney for going nuts.

Still, I feel it may have worked in her favor because the paparazzi don't want to drive Britney completely insane. Chances are they have been backing off and that is exactly what she has wanted.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Conflating compartmentalised savantism with "genius" - especially as the term is employed here, is a grave error.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

What is genius, and what is a mental disorder, such that you would imagine both could never occur in the name person?
A mindful man needs few words.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Dan Rowden wrote:Conflating compartmentalised savantism with "genius" - especially as the term is employed here, is a grave error.
Renaissance seems to be calling Britney Spears a "genius." She is neither that nor a compartmentalised savant, although I'm sure that's not what you are implying. "Compartmentalised idiot" would be more like it. Like most of her fans.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:What is genius, and what is a mental disorder, such that you would imagine both could never occur in the name person?
Exactly.

I'm not convinced one is a born genius, or born to become one. The process of assimilation and realization, of learning and understanding, happens on a scale and at a rate much greater in some people than in others. People vary in response to the subsequent stresses the process causes. For some it could be like an oak growing in a flowerpot. Sooner or later, something has to give.
Jason

Post by Jason »

brokenhead wrote:For some it could be like an oak growing in a flowerpot. Sooner or later, something has to give.
I think that describes my life from at least middle childhood. It's such a fucking tragedy really. I largely dealt with it by an ever increasing retreat from the world. It probably seriously stunted my development. I haven't given up though, the story's not over, I will overcome it yet.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

brokenhead wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Conflating compartmentalised savantism with "genius" - especially as the term is employed here, is a grave error.
Renaissance seems to be calling Britney Spears a "genius." She is neither that nor a compartmentalised savant, although I'm sure that's not what you are implying. "Compartmentalised idiot" would be more like it. Like most of her fans.
I believe there are geniuses in their respective fields. Britney is indeed a genius in her particular modern musical field. She is indeed among the best of the best of her particular musical style. Besides, she gives a vivid demonstration how the geniusly sensitive can be driven into mental disorders by the hounding of idiots.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Britney is indeed a genius in her particular modern musical field. She is indeed among the best of the best of her particular musical style.
Hard to believe you like her that much. I think she's a dingbat.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

Shahrazad wrote:
Britney is indeed a genius in her particular modern musical field. She is indeed among the best of the best of her particular musical style.
Hard to believe you like her that much. I think she's a dingbat.
I don't own any of her CDs, but I like her sexy videos and own a couple collections. What can I say?

Heck, you probably think Mozart is boring.

Well, I think this is hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2VMJhq ... re=related
DivineIntercourse

Post by DivineIntercourse »

brokenhead wrote:I'm not convinced one is a born genius, or born to become one
If one is a genius, then they were born to become a genius (obviously).
The process of assimilation and realization, of learning and understanding, happens on a scale and at a rate much greater in some people than in others.
Sure, but that should not imply that those whom are intellectually gifted will stay that way - some people plateau while other people improve.

I think it's possible for someone to be both (a genius and mentally ill).
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Here at Genius Forum, the way Genius is defined as I understand it, Genius implies sanity. Genius could not, therefore, could not be present where there is mental illness.
Good Citizen Carl
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Carl G wrote:Here at Genius Forum, the way Genius is defined as I understand it, Genius implies sanity. Genius could not, therefore, could not be present where there is mental illness.
Mental illness does not imply insanity.
A mindful man needs few words.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Is complete sanity possible with mental illness?
Good Citizen Carl
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It depends on the mental illness. I think its possible for there to be, say, a bipolar genius. It's just that such a person would experience the disorder differently than a person who does so through the filters of the ego. In other words, he'd experienced it as a physical malady.
DivineIntercourse

Post by DivineIntercourse »

Dan Rowden wrote:In other words, he'd experienced it as a physical malady.
Can you please elaborate?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It means the sufferer would experience something like bipolar as simple highs and lows in energy, without the attendant emotional components.
messenger-of-God

Post by messenger-of-God »

Yes, complete sanity is possible with mental illness, I experienced first hand
going from insanity to sanity.

I was in the position to KILL someone, and my sanity overrideded my insanity.

Otherwise, I would be serving time in jail right now.

I simply removed myself from this potentially hazzard situation.

I've been insane all my life--out-of-mental-control. I have overcome my insanity.
A new-found freedom lifts my spirits. Inner contentment frees me from self-bondage.

My Lord and Heavenly Father guides me with his soothing voice, in which I listen for.

When one connects with his inner-spirit, he connects with the love within. Love frees us
from the grips of Satan.

When we concentrate on the higher power within us, encouraging us to love one another,
who could be against us and win?

Mental illness is cured with love!

Mental illness is an abundant of hurt sorted out through the years, it deliberately hurts back.
It can be defiant or aggressive, or meek or assertive. Some mentally ill people use physical violence,
while the smarter mentally ill uses mental strategies to mentally hurt someone. While some mentally
ill couldn't hurt a fly.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Yes, being freed from the grip of Satan makes you sane.

Sane!

Sane I tell you!!!!

Saaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnneeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Unusual intelligence generally comes with a price.

People rarely "have it all." What is given generously in one area is compensated for by deficiency in other areas. How many pretty blondes and football stars does one generally find discussing philosophy, for example? A few, perhaps - but they are few enough to make them stand out notably.
I live in a tub.