How does one become smart?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
messenger-of-God

Re: How does one become smart?

Post by messenger-of-God »

How does one become smart?

That's very simple

He decides that he's had enough of stupidity, and does something to
erradicate stupidity and replace it with development!

The self-asking of this question implies smart in itself.

So the question you really need to be asking is How does one become smarter?

Answer:

By asking smart questions!
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

I imagine it was once considered "delusional" to believe the Earth was round and you risked a painful death to believe the Earth was round. What do you think, Dan? Is it wise to consider YOURS the final say to what is delusional thinking and what is not?

Are the people who believe in the validity of The Secret delusional thinkers?

Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Dan,
That doesn't constitute deluded thinking.
How can you say that? I assumed the cement object really exists, and that it is solid. The latter is not true because it consists almost totally of empty space. The former is not true because you cannot give me the boundaries.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Shahrazad wrote:Dan,
How can you say that? I assumed the cement object really exists, and that it is solid. The latter is not true because it consists almost totally of empty space. The former is not true because you cannot give me the boundaries.
It's like the old Hindu joke. The master, when looking at the flaming remains of your squashed car near the cement wall, would comment: "She shouldn't have let her maya run into the wall's maya..."
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Shahrazad wrote:Dan,
The object is "solid" because that's how we experience it, much like the way we experience walls. I think I go into this in part 3 of my Youtube series "The Nature of Existence".
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Renaissance wrote:I imagine it was once considered "delusional" to believe the Earth was round and you risked a painful death to believe the Earth was round. What do you think, Dan?

I think it's delusional to think of such things as delusional. Bad or insufficient or incomplete models are not delusions. It's only a delusion when you think of them as true.

Is it wise to consider YOURS the final say to what is delusional thinking and what is not?

Yes it is. Actually, not it's not! One's own mind must be that authority.
Mr.Shadow

Post by Mr.Shadow »

Its amazing how my topic goes from my post to this.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Mr.Shadow wrote:Its amazing how my topic goes from my post to this.
Dan ain't easy to bait :-)

Last edited by Tomas on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't run to your death
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

If that amazes you, expect to be amazed every time you come to GF.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

Dan Rowden wrote:
Renaissance wrote:I imagine it was once considered "delusional" to believe the Earth was round and you risked a painful death to believe the Earth was round. What do you think, Dan?

I think it's delusional to think of such things as delusional. Bad or insufficient or incomplete models are not delusions. It's only a delusion when you think of them as true.

Is it wise to consider YOURS the final say to what is delusional thinking and what is not?

So, you're saying, my opinion of what is delusional and what is not is just as valid as yours?
Last edited by Renaissance on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Renaissance wrote:I'm curious, do you feel that all who believe The Secret has value are delusional?
I for one feel that anyone who thinks The Secret is anything more than a slickly packaged little money-making scheme is delusional. Buying her book won't make you rich - it'll make her even more rich than she already is. If all the existing literature on achieving wisdom, true knowledge, and success were a banquet, The Secret is a bag of M&M's. The idea of learning something fundamental from a bleached blonde named Rhonda reminds me of my teenage years...
Renaissance

(((How does one become smart Regarding The Secret?)))

Post by Renaissance »

brokenhead wrote:
Renaissance wrote:I'm curious, do you feel that all who believe The Secret has value are delusional?
I for one feel that anyone who thinks The Secret is anything more than a slickly packaged little money-making scheme is delusional. Buying her book won't make you rich - it'll make her even more rich than she already is. If all the existing literature on achieving wisdom, true knowledge, and success were a banquet, The Secret is a bag of M&M's. The idea of learning something fundamental from a bleached blonde named Rhonda reminds me of my teenage years...
Thus sprak...brokenhead!

His registered name suits him well.

Oh boy folks, this is gonna be fun! Watch how I take this guy apart. It's going to be so easy. Here we go:

Okay crackhead, do tell everyone here what exactly it is you don't agree with about the philosophy contained in The Secret

List the three main things you don't agree with regarding The Secret.

Watch folks, this is gonna be fun. Crackhead here is about to come apart by the cracks.

I ask the rest of you not to respond to this. Let crackhead stand up for himself without any outside help. I don't want ANY OF YOU to help either me or him with this.

Thanks

This is gonna be fun!

Watch and see!

I'm practically jumping up and down with delight!

It's a sure thing, folks!

Come and get it, crackhead!

DHodges

How does one become less of a cunt?

Post by DHodges »

Renaissance wrote:I'm practically pissing my pants with delight!
You are a cunt.
Renaissance

Re: How does one become less of a cunt?

Post by Renaissance »

DHodges wrote:
You are a cunt.
If I responded with an equally ignoble comment would that make me

A) Better than you

B) Equal to you

or

C) Worse than you

Be honest now...if you can

PS I wasn't actually almost pissing my pants.

You gotta tell some people these things

(sheesh!)

Renaissance

(((How does one become smart ABOUT THE SECRET?)))

Post by Renaissance »

The three main things I like about The Secret are:

1) The Secret shares important truths, that have been around for thousands of years, in a really amazingly cool and easy to follow format.

2) The Secret makes it clear that the thoughts we think, especially with passion, tend to manifest things into our daily experience whether we consciously realize it or not. So the more you complain the more you will manifest things to complain about. The converse is also true in that the more we think about manifesting a more wonderful and happy life the more the circumstances of our personal universe rearrange themselves to conform to the nature of our consistently held passion-filled thoughts

3) The Secret’s ‘Jack Canfield’ truly inspires by showing how The Secret played THE MOST important role in the success of his ‘Chicken Soup For The Soul’ book series (and there are MANY of those books in the series). It’s easy to believe him for his success is very easy to validate. I never even knew of most of the other people who share wisdom in The Secret before I purchased and watched the DVD over and over and over and over and over and over…etc
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

DHodges wrote:
Renaissance wrote:I'm practically farting in your face with delight!
You are a cunt.
Hey I can alter what I actually wrote and make it look genuine too!
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

Too many people want to look smart.

Not enough people try to be less of a cunt.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

DHodges wrote:Too many people want to look smart.

Not enough people try to be less of a cunt.
I forgive you for your short-cummings
Mr.Shadow

Post by Mr.Shadow »

I am enjoying this post very much.
DHodges that was funny as hell with the cunt reference.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Hey Renaissance - Just what about my post do you disagree with? Do you think Rhonda is some kind of intellectual giant? The Secret is a fucking coffee-table book, or it would be if it were bigger.

Don't wait for me to disagree with what is in it - because there is nothing in it to disagree with. It's not philosophy, it's not religion, it's not science, it's not history, it's not literature... Think positive. There. Let's see, we still have a lot of pages to fill. We'll throw in some big red pictures of the wax seal letter S, make the pages look like parchment, make the people feel like they're getting something for their $24.

A whole bunch of people got together and said if Seinfeld can make a fortune on a sitcom about nothing, we can combine our marketing and publishing skills and make a bestseller out of nothing. We don't have to create anything, we just have to package it.

There is not one original thought in it, and barely any thought at all.

No offense, Renaissance, but I am a bibliophile. I'll haunt libraries and bookstores both old and new. And this book is a teaspoon of crap wrapped up with a little bow. Not even a huge load of crap do you get for your $24. It manages to make the other New Age books look important.

There's nothing in it with which to argue or agree. It's a Hallmark card on steroids. It has the wisdom of all those cute little magnets my mother festooned the refrigerator with: "Save time for sunshine, rainbows, and dreams..."

And of course the secret is true. Like Monty Python's lesson on how to play the clarinet: "You blow in one end and run your fingers up and down the outside."

It just didn't do anything for me. Ya know?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Mr.Shadow wrote:Its amazing how my topic goes from my post to this.
The reason for that would be that your desire for cleverness and knowledge is of little or no relevance to this forum. It's just not what this place is about.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Renaissance wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:

So, you're saying, my opinion of what is delusional and what is not is just as valid as yours?

Sure, but only if you agree with me.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

Mr.Shadow wrote:I am enjoying this post very much.
DHodges that was funny as hell with the cunt reference.
It's quite a relief that you are turned on by cunts. Can't say the same for broken-crack-head, right folks?
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

brokenhead wrote:Hey Renaissance - Just what about my post do you disagree with? Do you think Rhonda is some kind of intellectual giant? The Secret is a fucking coffee-table book, or it would be if it were bigger.

Don't wait for me to disagree with what is in it - because there is nothing in it to disagree with. It's not philosophy, it's not religion, it's not science, it's not history, it's not literature... Think positive. There. Let's see, we still have a lot of pages to fill. We'll throw in some big red pictures of the wax seal letter S, make the pages look like parchment, make the people feel like they're getting something for their $24.

A whole bunch of people got together and said if Seinfeld can make a fortune on a sitcom about nothing, we can combine our marketing and publishing skills and make a bestseller out of nothing. We don't have to create anything, we just have to package it.

There is not one original thought in it, and barely any thought at all.

No offense, Renaissance, but I am a bibliophile. I'll haunt libraries and bookstores both old and new. And this book is a teaspoon of crap wrapped up with a little bow. Not even a huge load of crap do you get for your $24. It manages to make the other New Age books look important.

There's nothing in it with which to argue or agree. It's a Hallmark card on steroids. It has the wisdom of all those cute little magnets my mother festooned the refrigerator with: "Save time for sunshine, rainbows, and dreams..."

And of course the secret is true. Like Monty Python's lesson on how to play the clarinet: "You blow in one end and run your fingers up and down the outside."

It just didn't do anything for me. Ya know?
Stop dancing around the issue, blockhead. We both know you are condemning The Secret without having even seen it, moron! You couldn't name the three main things you don't agree with about The Secret to save that pitifully shriveled teeny limp excuse you call a penis, you broken-block-head.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

Renaissance wrote:
DHodges wrote:
You are a cunt.
If I responded with an equally ignoble comment would that make me

A) Better than you

B) Equal to you

or

C) Worse than you

Be honest now...if you can

PS I wasn't actually almost pissing my pants.

You gotta tell some people these things

(sheesh!)

You will note how DHodges completely ignored my comment. He can't answer it witnout condemning himself. It's 'checkmate' DHodges and...you lost